Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Frankly, the only thing I care about is whether or not the actor is enjoyable to watch or brings some kind of emotion out of me.

Nicolas Cage isn't a great actor in the traditional sense, I wouldn't exactly cast him as Macbeth, but he's very rarely boring. Almost every movie with him in it is a lot of fun, and when it isn't, it's something that he couldn't have really salvaged anyways (like Season of the Witch); and almost every other time he's the literal best part of the movie.

Vampire's Kiss, for example, would not have worked with any other actor in it. A more subdued performance, even if it would have been more believable or naturalistic or whatever the hell, would have been terrible for that role. But instead of a subdued believable performance, we got... this. And it was loving incredible.

e: Posting this because, even though it's kind of ancient, it's basically a compilation of reasons why Nicolas Cage is the best thing to happen to film in the past 50 years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOCF0BLf-BM

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Binary Logic posted:

If you're going to speak of directors, have to mention Woody Allen because so often his leading actor takes on Woody's own vocal mannerisms and style.

Fortunately without the child molestation.

• Locked thread