Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I think being believeable is a big thing. I actually like Michael Cera a lot in Scott Pilgrim. He's way more confident a character than what he usually plays. He has some awkward exchanges, but he's not playing an awkward person.

I might get some flack but I don't care. I like Keanu Reeves. I don't think he's, for lack of a better word, good, but he's often invested in what he's doing. The same with Cruise. I can't remember the last movie I saw either of them in where they weren't committed 100%. And both can be used really well in the right role (People scoff at The Matrix but it wouldn't work as well if Reeves weren't grounding it the way he does).

As for Cage. Greatest living actor. People assume he's not in on the joke which annoys me, but the thing is he never lets you know that he's in on the joke. You either see it or you don't. Outlaw Vern coined the phrase 'mega acting' for Cage, and it wasn't an insult either. The idea is that it isn't 'over the top' but a very pointed performance. And it seems that Cage agreed with it.

quote:

Yeah, I think that makes sense. I often refer to it as outside the box, as opposed to over the top. The two things mean the same thing on one hand but one sort of celebrates the idea of breaking free and going into other forms of expression, whether they’re abstract or extreme or as this friend of yours calls mega acting. The other sort of implies you’re not being truthful to the part, but see, I don’t know how you measure something like that because life can be extreme and life can be mega.

A few people who have worked with Cage have talked about his acting style. I think Alex Proyas said Cage reads the script and tempers his performance accordingly to how ridiculous he thinks it is, whether the rest of the movie is with him or not. I think Drew at Hitfix said that he had to ask Cage about The Wicker Man and he just laughed and said that he roundhouse kicks a woman and punches another dressed as a bear, of course he knows how ridiculous that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread