Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
The characters were the least of DA2s problem, I'd rather have some stupid poo poo than daos epicly boring poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ragg posted:

The characters were the least of DA2s problem, I'd rather have some stupid poo poo than daos epicly boring poo poo.

Look no further than your loving posts

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Piss off.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

:thurman:

Dec 26, 2012

ragg is right, da:o is way way overrated

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Every time I see someone in love with DA:O and I have gotten them to play Planescape: Torment they have always ended up enjoying Torment way more

Not sure if that's damning of the people I've done that with, DA:O or the hype around DA as a series

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
dragon age has always been generic as gently caress and if you hold up origins as a good game you're an idiot

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Soral
May 30, 2009

also knights of the old republic was dogshit compared to the sequel that obsidian made

2 wasn't even a finished product and it was still way better

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

bioware social network poster is dedicated to "improving the character design of dragon age inquisition." here is their before and after screenshot

lol

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
DA:O wasn't that great no, but it was a reasonable product that I did not feel condescended to or ripped off by and that's apparently the highest standard we can expect from Bioware

Dec 26, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

DA:O wasn't that great no, but it was a reasonable product that I did not feel condescended to or ripped off by and that's apparently the highest standard we can expect from Bioware

thats reasonable yeah

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

whenever someone tries to describe a dream it's always boring as poo poo so yeah.

also those ears. that face. i guess all the budget goes to that really really great writing.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Different standards of beauty indeed.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Mass Effect 2 is definitely in a tier above Dragon Age. We can only hope Bioware learned that you can't cut corners from the disaster that was DA2, and maybe we'll get something decent. IF it's at least as good as ME3 it'll be the best Dragon Age game by far.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Mr. Pumroy posted:

whenever someone tries to describe a dream it's always boring as poo poo so yeah.

also those ears. that face. i guess all the budget goes to that really really great writing.

They're taking inspiration from Bethesda in more ways than one. Hey-o!

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Just thinking about it we got this, Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Dead State, Torment, Mass Effect 4 some time, probably Fallout 4 which will be no great shakes but maybe Obsidian gets another go. New Golden Age of RPGs inc???? At least like a silver or bronze age. Frankly I think we can all agree that Gaben has successfully saved PC Gaming. Hail Gaben.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
81 to the release of Underworld 2 is the golden age, 95 to 01 is the silver age, everything after is the stone age

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

81 to the release of Underworld 2 is the golden age, 95 to 01 is the silver age, everything after is the stone age

As a story gamer I can't get down with all the first person dungeon crawling stuff. Except for Ultima Underworld of course. and Darklands was tight as hell, but I'm more about the poo poo like Fallout and Torment.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I am a huge nerd so I can't resist admitting that I am pretty optimistic about the future of RPGs in general and I think that the return of game development more or less on the scale of the 90s(that mysterious space between 1 dude making a game by himself and 950 dudes across 10 studios making a gigantic blockbuster) and the profitability of the PC as a platform are totally responsible. I think the only step devs need to take to really make this a memorable period in RPGs is more stuff that is not rooted in the 90s. Not necessarily mechanically, but new series and junk. Souls/Bloodborne and The Witcher are fairly new for games, at least compared to Fallout, but there should be more

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Sure does make Bioware look even worse tho

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I am a huge nerd so I can't resist admitting that I am pretty optimistic about the future of RPGs in general and I think that the return of game development more or less on the scale of the 90s(that mysterious space between 1 dude making a game by himself and 950 dudes across 10 studios making a gigantic blockbuster) and the profitability of the PC as a platform are totally responsible. I think the only step devs need to take to really make this a memorable period in RPGs is more stuff that is not rooted in the 90s. Not necessarily mechanically, but new series and junk. Souls/Bloodborne and The Witcher are fairly new for games, at least compared to Fallout, but there should be more

Same, same. I think digital distribution has done a lot to really open the playing field... like the japs are actually bothering to bring their games over to pc now, and all the kickstarted agmes. I mean I dont have that much hope for inxiles efforts but maybe obsidian will get a little more leeway to do what they want instead of getting dicked over by metacritic ratings.m

Dec 26, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

maybe the competition will force them to step their game up

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

01011001 posted:

maybe the competition will force them to step their game up

EA is a sinking ship and they will probably not sell off Bioware under any circumstances unfortunately, but it is nice to have that hope

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

They're gonna have to step it up for sure.

Dec 26, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

EA is a sinking ship and they will probably not sell off Bioware under any circumstances unfortunately, but it is nice to have that hope

ill grant its a pretty weak maybe

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

bioware is pretty on top of things as far as making the biowarest games ever

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

bioware social network poster is dedicated to "improving the character design of dragon age inquisition." here is their before and after screenshot

It's Angelina Jolie covered in a thin grease of some kind. Thx, BSN.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

LMAO this is literal garbage that someone got paid to write. Literally.

Dec 26, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

It's Angelina Jolie covered in a thin grease of some kind.

not seeing a problem here

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
bioware hasn't made a good game since like loving baldur's gate (kotor is acceptable just because it gave way to kotor 2) they have always been dogshit im gonna lmbo when they die

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Gobblecoque posted:

bioware hasn't made a good game since like loving baldur's gate (kotor is acceptable just because it gave way to kotor 2) they have always been dogshit im gonna lmbo when they die

Baldur's Gate is bad D&D claptrap and Mass Effect 2 is by far the best Bioware game.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
Bad story, bad gameplay and bad companions (Mordin's cool but that's about it). I liked the art style but it's not a good game.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Falsum posted:

Bad story, bad gameplay and bad companions (Mordin's cool but that's about it). I liked the art style but it's not a good game.

It actually has a good story that works well with the gameplay, Grunt and Garrus are cool, and the gameplay is fine. It's just about the best western action rpg combat to date. Well, Mass Effect 3's is mostly better.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Noseferatu: Origins

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Ragg posted:

It actually has a good story that works well with the gameplay, Grunt and Garrus are cool, and the gameplay is fine. It's just about the best western action rpg combat to date. Well, Mass Effect 3's is mostly better.

Its story was just "gather these cool dudes and then go kill the final boss". That's totally fine and it was delivered well but it's not a good story, it just had good presentation.

Also if you want story based RPGs that actually have good combat too you're better off with TW2 than ME2 imo

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

The Sharmat posted:

Its story was just "gather these cool dudes and then go kill the final boss". That's totally fine and it was delivered well but it's not a good story, it just had good presentation.

Also if you want story based RPGs that actually have good combat too you're better off with TW2 than ME2 imo

The Witcher 1 & 2 are fucken horrible.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Maybe I don't mean a good story, more like an interesting narrative, whatever. ME2 has it and its chill.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

The Sharmat posted:

I thought the story was delivered really poorly when the team of professional badasses died unless you did their loyalty mission, which consisted of solving stupid daddy issues.

I think that instead, you should have earned their respect by being a good leader (which would be subjective to each member, meaning that in the end not all companions would respect or trust you) over the course of several missions. The game should also have had more missions where you get the whole team out (and split into smaller teams that each have their objective) instead of always having two guys with you and that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Falsum posted:

I thought the story was delivered really poorly when the team of professional badasses died unless you did their loyalty mission, which consisted of solving stupid daddy issues.

I think that instead, you should have earned their respect by being a good leader (which would be subjective to each member, meaning that in the end not all companions would respect or trust you) over the course of several missions. The game should also have had more missions where you get the whole team out (and split into smaller teams that each have their objective) instead of always having two guys with you and that's it.

That would have been cool. Some of the loyalty missions are fine though, ie they're distracted by other things, some are kinda weird.

• Locked thread