Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Ragg posted:

The Witcher 1 & 2 are fucken horrible.

your mother is horrible

Falsum posted:

I thought the story was delivered really poorly when the team of professional badasses died unless you did their loyalty mission,
why do you even play RPGs if you don't like them enough to do the sidequests

was funny seeing everyone whine about losing team members on the suicide mission when it was so easy to avoid it though

"hmm should I send the goddamn robot to hack this computer, or the literal frog"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
I'm not complaining about the presence of sidequests in ME2, but that the story is delivered poorly and one of the reasons is the loyalty missions.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

what people were seriously surprised NPCs started dropping like flies at the suicide mission? the game gives you so many warnings to do the loyalty missions it's not even funny

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Sidequests should probably just be cut out of RPGs. Either they make you too strong if you do em and the rest of the content is trivial or you have to do them all to be strong enough in which case, they might as well be mandatory. Alternatively you can do level scaling but we've seen how that tends to turn out.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I agree RPGs should just be a big hallway you walk down in between cutscenes

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Ragg posted:

Same, same. I think digital distribution has done a lot to really open the playing field... like the japs are actually bothering to bring their games over to pc now, and all the kickstarted agmes. I mean I dont have that much hope for inxiles efforts but maybe obsidian will get a little more leeway to do what they want instead of getting dicked over by metacritic ratings.m

It's cool and I hope this trend continues.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

Well this is the right thread for you

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

The Sharmat posted:

They should actually have limited nonlinearity where you can choose what order to do a set of things in, then when the thigns are done you unlock more things, probably. Alternately make it so that progression is soft limited via making dangerous areas way to hard to do at low levels, so you have to do the easier stuff first. See New Vegas and Dark Souls.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Well, new vegas has a ton of side stuff, i'm speaking mostly for the main path in regards to that game.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Or you can have mutually exclusive branches of course.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
There are plenty of ways to make RPGs have actual good gameplay, progression etc, try using your brain instead of just going I GUESS YOU JUST WANT CALL OF DUTY THEN HUH.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
thing is sometimes I don't want to advance the main epic story and would rather spend time exploring the world. sidequests allow for that by being available when I feel like it, instead of the developer having to try and anticipate when thousands of different people playing their game want to gently caress around outside the mainquest

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

The Sharmat posted:

thing is sometimes I don't want to advance the main epic story and would rather spend time exploring the world. sidequests allow for that by being available when I feel like it, instead of the developer having to try and anticipate when thousands of different people playing their game want to gently caress around outside the mainquest

That's cool, should probably have them not give xp then. Maybe they can unlock more options but you dont get more poitns to spend on em.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Why would you want them not to give XP?

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

The Sharmat posted:

Why would you want them not to give XP?

I already explained that, it ruins the balance. Same reason grinding is bad.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Bioware hasn't released a good game since Jade Empire.

Dec 26, 2012

Ragg posted:

That's cool, should probably have them not give xp then. Maybe they can unlock more options but you dont get more poitns to spend on em.

progression based solely on main plot beats would probably be fine

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Ragg posted:

I already explained that, it ruins the balance. Same reason grinding is bad.

But rewards are cool and...rewarding?

This is what difficulty levels are for.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

The Sharmat posted:

Its story was just "gather these cool dudes and then go kill the final boss". That's totally fine and it was delivered well but it's not a good story, it just had good presentation.

Jeez guys why I always gotta explain this

ME2 is the Dirty Dozen in space. The loyalty missions are the story. I mean daddy issues is pretty ham-handed but it's the most coherent Bioware has ever been. it's also the setup for ME3 (not in the sense of the Reapers are coming but in the sense of telling you what Cerberus and genophage and geth are actually all about).

quote:

I think that instead, you should have earned their respect by being a good leader (which would be subjective to each member, meaning that in the end not all companions would respect or trust you) over the course of several missions. The game should also have had more missions where you get the whole team out (and split into smaller teams that each have their objective) instead of always having two guys with you and that's it.

Yeah this is a fair criticism, the suicide mission mechanic was pretty limp, but that's because,

you know,

xbox.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Yeah, if you'd been able to kill poo poo as a team like some kind of scifi magnificent seven that would have really redeemed it a lot for me.

Actually just make a magnificent seven game please

Billy Everyteen
May 6, 2009

01011001 posted:

progression based solely on main plot beats would probably be fine

They basically tried this in FF13 and it was terrible. You could only level up so much until you beat the area boss. Being able to get stronger than you should be for a given area is a good thing because there will always be badly designed areas that nobody wants to play and being able to just avoid the enemies or kill them quickly improves the game.

They also did the whole linear story, no side quests, bit too and that was also terrible. I know that the game opens up later but gently caress that.

edit: I think being able to grind out a few levels doing fun side quests when the game is being not so fun and then coming back to the plot and breezing through the not fun parts is a strength of RPGs. I don't know why I brought up FF13, everything about that game is just terrible.

Billy Everyteen fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 1, 2014

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

The Sharmat posted:

But rewards are cool and...rewarding?

This is what difficulty levels are for.

That's not what they're for. And like I said, you can get rewards that aren't increases.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Buschmaki posted:

Bioware hasn't released a good game since Jade Empire.

Mass Effect 2 is great.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Billy Everyteen posted:

They basically tried this in FF13 and it was terrible. You could only level up so much until you beat the area boss. Being able to get stronger than you should be for a given area is a good thing because there will always be badly designed areas that nobody wants to play and being able to just avoid the enemies or kill them quickly improves the game.

They also did the whole linear story, no side quests, bit too and that was also terrible. I know that the game opens up later but gently caress that.

edit: I think being able to grind out a few levels doing fun side quests when the game is being not so fun and then coming back to the plot and breezing through the not fun parts is a strength of RPGs. I don't know why I brought up FF13, everything about that game is just terrible.

Instead of doing that, they can just make all the areas fun.

Dec 26, 2012

Billy Everyteen posted:

maybe instead of doing it with a bad game (ff13) they could do it with a good one

basically

Ragg posted:

Instead of doing that, they can just make all the areas fun.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Side quests are consistently some of the best content in games

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Lt. Danger posted:

Jeez guys why I always gotta explain this

ME2 is the Dirty Dozen in space. The loyalty missions are the story. I mean daddy issues is pretty ham-handed but it's the most coherent Bioware has ever been. it's also the setup for ME3 (not in the sense of the Reapers are coming but in the sense of telling you what Cerberus and genophage and geth are actually all about).
I don't really see how this is even disagreeing with what I said though

I think it set ME3 up pretty poorly though. I mean you say it shows you what the Geth are all about but ME3 forgets what ME2 said on the subject the instant the Geth show up.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Ragg posted:

Mass Effect 2 is great.

it's pretty boring

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Gobblecoque posted:

it's pretty boring

Only boring people are bored.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

I don't really see how this is even disagreeing with what I said though

I think it set ME3 up pretty poorly though. I mean you say it shows you what the Geth are all about but ME3 forgets what ME2 said on the subject the instant the Geth show up.

because it is a good story and better than anything else Bioware has written (not that that's difficult ho ho ho)

when I say it sets things up I don't mean so much the minutiae as that it establishes the three big conflicts in the last game and gives more info on each one - so you meet the dude who created modified the genophage and see what it's done to the korgan homeworld, you meet the quarians and talk to a geth and find out who wants a war and who wants peace, you find out a lot more about how Cerberus operates and who's running the show there. Those are what ME2 and ME3 are actually all about. nobody actually really cares about the reapers

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
I especially loved the whole dark energy thing that

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Lt. Danger posted:

nobody actually really cares about the reapers

Maybe the game shouldn't have been shouting REAPERS REAPERS OH loving GOD drat REAPERS in the player's face since 30 minutes into ME1 then

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

Maybe the game shouldn't have been shouting REAPERS REAPERS OH loving GOD drat REAPERS in the player's face since 30 minutes into ME1 then

The reapers exist to drive the plot - to catalyse the galaxy's existing problems - and this becomes more obvious when you realise they're just a stand-in for entropy/death hth

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
im commander shepard and this is my favorite whorehouse on the citadel

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Lt. Danger posted:

The reapers exist to drive the plot - to catalyse the galaxy's existing problems - and this becomes more obvious when you realise they're just a stand-in for entropy/death hth

and they do it in poorly done and arbitrary ways like ~indoctrination~ because the plot isn't that good

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
mass effect is just a simple summer action sci fi movie-style shooter with the occasional conversation in which you gently caress some alien in the rear end to fix his/her daddy issues or punch a reporter, and that's perfectly fine, but nerds shouldn't try to make it more than it is

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
yeah that's more or less what I meant by saying it was a purely adequate plot that happened to be well presented

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

and they do it in poorly done and arbitrary ways like ~indoctrination~ because the plot isn't that good

what is the black goo??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I feel like their character designs are ugly as poo poo in this game. Like, nobody looks even close to a normal human. I know it's a vidcon and all, but these are some ugly motherfuckers in this game. That one lesbian elf has uneven eyes and boobs that come out of her stomach, the black lady has facial grease, the temple lady has a jaw that could be used as a spade, and now the ugly bald elf that likes to use the word "literally".

• Locked thread