Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

etalian posted:

Not really probably biggest factor is how long you intend to stay in the area, given how home debtorship has other costs such
as the downpayment and also closing costs.

Down payment isn't a dead cost, it comes back at the end unless you get negative change in value. Closing costs matter, but honestly, my closing costs will be eaten up by the rent vs buy cost difference in about 2-3 years. Assuming zero appreciation, that's the timeline where it's cheaper to rent for me, and that's fairly typical for major urban areas at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The US is somewhat unique case due to all the direct and indirect help homeowners get from Uncle Sam in everything from long term fixed rate loans to a tax deduction that even covers HELOC interest payments.

The sad thing is despite the downsides other countries such as Canada and the UK thought it would be a good idea to copy the US model for housing.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

etalian posted:

The US is somewhat unique case due to all the direct and indirect help homeowners get from Uncle Sam in everything from long term fixed rate loans to a tax deduction that even covers HELOC interest payments.

The sad thing is despite the downsides other countries such as Canada and the UK thought it would be a good idea to copy the US model for housing.

The US is also what this thread is about.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

etalian posted:

Not really probably biggest factor is how long you intend to stay in the area, given how home debtorship has other costs such
as the downpayment and also closing costs.

Also because the amortization of the mortgage means that each successive payment is an increasing percentage of equity so constantly recycling mortgages ends up being a way worse deal than what the stated rate is.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Also because the amortization of the mortgage means that each successive payment is an increasing percentage of equity so constantly recycling mortgages ends up being a way worse deal than what the stated rate is.

You'd have to compare the decrease in principal with costs associated with buying and selling (staging, fixes, 6% to Realtor) and any appreciation in value. Compared to renting, moving costs would be a wash.

I hope i can plan on being out of this house in less than 2 months which would make my stay 2 years and 4 months, and if the Phoenix market didn't have an abnormal amount of rebound, i'd be easily losing money on selling the house. That's between improvements, upkeep, property taxes and god drat pool maintenance. I just hope I can get what prices are currently reflecting.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Dirt posted:

I guess being from where I am from(Detroit area, now upper peninsula of Michigan) I never really realized HOA's were a thing. Are they basically in all "nice" neighborhoods in all large cities around the country? I lived in Dallas and Phoenix, but I rented both times so I never heard anything about it.

The idea of it sounds totally foreign and crazy to me. I am probably just weird though. I just bought my first house, but it's old and tiny, and obviously there is no HOA involved here.

Can someone explain how they work? They are mandatory to join to live in certain areas I take it?

edit: as I am googling about them, it sounds crazy.

Huh? I live in the Detroitish area and subdivisions are everywhere, and I'm pretty sure they all have HOAs. Are they a lot more of a recent development than I thought they were, because they are literally ~everywhere~ around here in the suburbs these days.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

etalian posted:

Don't forget about whatever it is that is going on in Australia. Their negative gearing tax treatments sound like the US deduction plus some more insanity.

Powercrazy posted:

Amazing analysis. That is what NYC came from.

I think we are more aiming toward a San Francisco end game actually because anything above two-three stories gets nixed outside of the city center and some very limited corridors.

Amusingly taxpayers here are starting to get really really pissed about how businesses are gaming the property tax system. Turns out the "Texas Miracle" is once again revealed to be predicated on screwing over everyone but those knighted by Perry and Co.

I highly recommend everyone read that article about SF housing by the way, it is a great example of just how complex the issues are leading into the present housing situation in various cities.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

VitalSigns posted:

I've lived in Austin for a few years, but now my sister is moving down and we're thinking of buying a house together.

Unfortunately, it's the absolute worst time to start looking, and I'm kicking myself for not doing it a couple of years ago. The most annoying part is that investors are buying up houses to flip for a profit, and I keep walking through some of the worst, laziest remodeling jobs I've ever seen. I went to a house yesterday listed for $350k: it had brand new granite countertops and backsplash tile in the kitchen...and rotting siding in the back and old single-pane windows one of which had a huge crack.

Thanks rear end in a top hat, but if you weren't going to bother to fix up the house, you could have let someone else buy it and do that for themselves rather than dropping a few thou on loving countertops and thinking you deserve a huge markup.

The home improvement industry never knew any other way to run but crookedly and with shoddy workmanship. These guys were nothing more than the descendants of the "tin men" who sold siding. When the bottom finally fell out of the market in 2008, the market for windows, siding, insulation etc. slowly dried up over the next few years. You couldn't just walk around having homeowners chase you down in the street and demanding to pay you $22,000 for vinyl windows anymore. Anybody who was stupid lost their shirt. Anybody who was smart got out of windows and siding and into bidding on foreclosures and flipping them with poo poo remodels.

They would be like "kitchen remodel? I will cap this bitch with granite my tweaker nephew stole."

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kalman posted:

Down payment isn't a dead cost, it comes back at the end unless you get negative change in value. Closing costs matter, but honestly, my closing costs will be eaten up by the rent vs buy cost difference in about 2-3 years. Assuming zero appreciation, that's the timeline where it's cheaper to rent for me, and that's fairly typical for major urban areas at this point.

it's still dead money that's not being put to use in something like a dividend stock or even a more liquid investment.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

etalian posted:

it's still dead money that's not being put to use in something like a dividend stock or even a more liquid investment.

If you can find a dividend stock paying out at 33% of invested value each year, please tell us all about it. (That's, conservatively, how much buying rather than renting saves me relative to my down payment.)

Sure, it's dead money if the economics of buy vs rent were even, but given the preferential treatment for homeowners in the US combined with the social (often severe restrictions on rental property building) and economic (vampire squids converting properties to rentals and jacking rents, as well as general rent increases) that's often not the case.

Everyone's math will work out differently, but the knee jerk in this thread against buying is blatantly stupid.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Right, the real problem is the series of incentives for home purchase and disincentives for renting that combine to strongly encourage people purchase when they otherwise wouldn't, which drives up housing costs for everyone.

It is often the case that people buy not because owning a house is great but that their renting experiences were so awful.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Another neat US specific graph:

Due to the bubble home ownership peaked around 69%

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

My understanding is that because of the boom, there's been a real decrease in the quality of construction and the quality of inspection.
Construction quality drops during any housing boom and there have been plenty of them in the past. Something like once every 10 yr or so. So buying older doesn't mean you're not getting a crappy boom home. Inspection quality on anything but the fundamentals (ie. foundation, electrical, structural) has never been good and the farther back you go the more flaky even that gets.

Newer homes generally have better windows, insulation, a vapor barrier like Tyvek, and are built to a better code overall. Older homes often started out with better construction materials, mainly the wood was better and that asbestos tiles and shingles sure were something weren't they? But poor maintenance, which is the norm unfortunately, and age can turn them into standing financial disasters within 30 yr easy. In the end it don't matter how good the wood was when it went in or how good the original carpenter was when it was installed if the internal wood structure has been exposed to water, termites, and mold. Older code and weird construction practices also cause huge problems over time as well.

Older homes generally have copper pipe for instance vs the PEX in newer homes but it was 'normal' to bend the pipe over your knee back in the day which often caused kinks which effected water pressure and tended to leak prematurely. They also didn't protect the copper from the concrete, today they're supposed to wrap it in something, even if its just cardboard lying around the site it makes a big difference in longevity of the pipes. Old style wiring practices suuuuuucked horribly and so upgrading older 40-60A service is usually an expensive exercise in frustration. Also makes adding a ceiling fan a real frustrating chore too. You'll find alll sorts of surprises in the walls once you start tearing stuff apart to fix or add something.

Where newer bubble homes tend to fall apart is on the detail stuff in the exterior and interior. Lots of money to be 'saved' there so the contractors get to pocket the difference. Usually shoddy jobs and materials were done on the drywall, painting, caulking, and the like. Sometimes the roof too in places where the weather is usually dry like CA and AZ. The really shady contractors will only nail down every 2nd or even 3rd row of shingles and use the crappiest 15yr rated ones along with the suspiciously cheap tar paper from Mexico to save $10 or so a roll. If you know what to look for and take care of it before the water/termites get it in this is usually not to expensive or difficult to fix. Or better yet to have the seller fix it or knock down the price accordingly.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Shifty Pony posted:

Don't forget about whatever it is that is going on in Australia. Their negative gearing tax treatments sound like the US deduction plus some more insanity.

I think we are more aiming toward a San Francisco end game actually because anything above two-three stories gets nixed outside of the city center and some very limited corridors.

Amusingly taxpayers here are starting to get really really pissed about how businesses are gaming the property tax system. Turns out the "Texas Miracle" is once again revealed to be predicated on screwing over everyone but those knighted by Perry and Co.

I highly recommend everyone read that article about SF housing by the way, it is a great example of just how complex the issues are leading into the present housing situation in various cities.

Yeah the nimby-ism about MY VIEWS that blocks high rise apartments in the US is stupid. I visited China and they had like 100 40ish story buildings in the middle of the city, made rent cheap and commutes short. Plus parks are still widely available for scenery, along with everyone having a balcony.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Swan Oat posted:

Here is a quote that is literally on the Department of Housing and Urban Development's website about affordable housing:

Bolding mine obviously, and lol.

Anecdotally, a few years ago I lived in a lovely roach trap one bedroom apartment in central Houston and paid $670/month. I have since seen the place advertised on Craigslist for $900. Judging from the pictures it has not been renovated, upgraded, or improved in any way.

My mortgage in the Minneapolis 'burbs is less than $670 month. Taxes and insurance bring it up quite a bit in the end.

Even in Minneapolis the market is hosed. Mortgage+Taxes+Insurance-MortgageInterestDeduction on a '60s Rambler costs me less than a 1 bed room apartment. It is just absurd how distorted the market is.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Buying a house is an investment in the same way buying an engagement ring or a boat is an investment: i.e. It's an investment because the people selling them have realized they can make a lot more money if they say it is, but really you'd be hard pressed to even call it a gamble.

And its even worse for housing because it's a loving necessity, so you get all the perversions of a market dominated by the same fake "investment" logic that props up worthless jewelry and diamond markets, except hurting real people. An investment is something you make money off of, and a house is not something you're going to make money off of. A boat? That can be an investment, sure, but unless you're buying a fishing trawler, it (along with your house) is not an investment.

The practical benefits of owning a house will remain the same even if all houses are made free forever tomorrow. The only people who want rising home prices are those who think of grifters as people to aspire to.

People who complain about things "lowering their property value" make me want to strangle them. I you're buying a home as an investment, you are actively working to make this country worse. If you're buying one because you want a place where you can live that you own, that you have freedom to improve and modify at will, that you want to give to your kids, awesome. If you're buying a house just because you expect a mark to stumble by sooner that you can convince to buy it for way more than its worth, you are officially part of the problem.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Xae posted:

My mortgage in the Minneapolis 'burbs is less than $670 month. Taxes and insurance bring it up quite a bit in the end.

Even in Minneapolis the market is hosed. Mortgage+Taxes+Insurance-MortgageInterestDeduction on a '60s Rambler costs me less than a 1 bed room apartment. It is just absurd how distorted the market is.

That's less than my rent for a one bedroom in Austin. :negative:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

median home price is 184,000 for Minneapolis

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

Still not as pants-on-head retarded as SF; I'm paying 850 for my share of the rent in what amounts to two basement studios hooked together by a bath and kitchen in a semi-desirable neighborhood.

I don't even want to think about how out of my range honest-to-God real estate is here.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Are there campgrounds nearby? Tents don't cost too much.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
This is a good thread.

FRINGE fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 8, 2014

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Prepare to hate me: I rent a 1 bedroom with a decent kitchen and living room in a Chinese city for $140/month. I could live in a more upscale property closer to the city center for about $300/month but I'm closer to my job this way.

I'm trying to get back to the states though.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

RPZip posted:

Huh? I live in the Detroitish area and subdivisions are everywhere, and I'm pretty sure they all have HOAs. Are they a lot more of a recent development than I thought they were, because they are literally ~everywhere~ around here in the suburbs these days.

Michigoon reporting in and I can say they have definitely been a thing for a while and exist as 1. a way to get the roads plowed and 2. As an excuse to keep tabs on the minority ethnic group that moved in and send out letters regarding too many cars being at the house and that everyone should be on high alert.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
DC burb of Arlington here. Between the rapid build out and gentrification of the area, my rent is 2250/month for a 780 sq ft 1 bed. My gf and I are about to move-in with her mom to try and save up enough for a down payment on a place, but anything inside the beltway worth living in is half a million at best. We couldn't even afford to buy the condo we're renting, I'm pretty sure our landlord is taking a loss between his mortgage and HOA fees.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Buying a house is an investment in the same way buying an engagement ring or a boat is an investment: i.e. It's an investment because the people selling them have realized they can make a lot more money if they say it is, but really you'd be hard pressed to even call it a gamble.

And its even worse for housing because it's a loving necessity, so you get all the perversions of a market dominated by the same fake "investment" logic that props up worthless jewelry and diamond markets, except hurting real people. An investment is something you make money off of, and a house is not something you're going to make money off of. A boat? That can be an investment, sure, but unless you're buying a fishing trawler, it (along with your house) is not an investment.

The practical benefits of owning a house will remain the same even if all houses are made free forever tomorrow. The only people who want rising home prices are those who think of grifters as people to aspire to.

People who complain about things "lowering their property value" make me want to strangle them. I you're buying a home as an investment, you are actively working to make this country worse. If you're buying one because you want a place where you can live that you own, that you have freedom to improve and modify at will, that you want to give to your kids, awesome. If you're buying a house just because you expect a mark to stumble by sooner that you can convince to buy it for way more than its worth, you are officially part of the problem.

I purchased my house in '09 and I would be amazed if I don't make a profit when I sell. But I purchased at the low point of the market many people will end up losing money on their house. But that doesn't mean it isn't an investment. Investments are not guaranteed to make money.

My uncle got out of the navy and purchased a modest house in California 40 years ago. He sold it for almost a million dollars a few years ago.

Your post is more DisgruntledMillennial.txt than reality.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Bel Shazar posted:

At current rates that $300k house will run you around $1250/month plus taxes and insurance assuming you can hit a 20% down payment and avoid PMI (gently caress PMI, seriously).

I'm curious how you arrived at this number. Our house cost less than that, our rate is around 4.5% - 5% and our payments are $1450/mo. Now, we roll our taxes into the payment, put down less than 20% and still have the PMI (we have to) so maybe I just answered my own question.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm curious how you arrived at this number. Our house cost less than that, our rate is around 4.5% - 5% and our payments are $1450/mo. Now, we roll our taxes into the payment, put down less than 20% and still have the PMI (we have to) so maybe I just answered my own question.

240K (300K -20% Down) at 5% is $1,288.37. At least according to the first mortgage calculator google popped up.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Xae posted:

I purchased my house in '09 and I would be amazed if I don't make a profit when I sell. My uncle got out of the navy and purchased a modest house in California 40 years ago. He sold it for almost a million dollars a few years ago. Your post is more DisgruntledMillennial.txt than reality.
Only a tiny relative handful of people have made money off the boom/bust or housing in general while millions have lost big or even most everything they own. That doesn't sound like a viable investment strategy to me. Really it sounds like your uncle got lucky when he bought and sold and you have gotten lucky to be able to buy during a down turn in the housing market.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

This is why we should make an Austin goon co-op, buy a goon house of our own, and stop making landlords rich! :argh:

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

VitalSigns posted:

This is why we should make an Austin goon co-op, buy a goon house of our own, and stop making landlords rich! :argh:

Who is going to clean out all the pee when some goon discovers he can pee through the floorboards?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

effectual posted:

Are there campgrounds nearby? Tents don't cost too much.

I did have a laugh finding a craigslist posting for Santa Cruz, you could rent yurts at some isolated campground for $200 a month.

Finally some reasonably priced rentals for the Bay Area.

On a side note even though multi-family construction starts have accelerated for many urban areas, the whole nature of infill construction means most project are still a decade away until completion.

Ideally hopefully due to so many people getting burned home ownership will drop down to more reasonable levels such as 60% to 65% percent of all properties, for other developed countries it's around 55% to 60%

etalian fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 8, 2014

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

GlyphGryph posted:

Sorry, but this is silly. An investment is something you invest money into in the hope of receiving some kind of future gain, whether that's capital appreciation, some kind of dividend, or whatever. Houses can provide both. The fact that house ownership has ongoing costs doesn't somehow disqualify it as an investment any more than a manager's fees disqualify managed funds as investments. You can argue about whether or not a given house is a good investment or whether the housing market should be more tightly regulated to prevent certain undesirable behaviours by investors (e.g. to make speculation unattractive), but a property purchase very clearly is a type of investment.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

MickeyFinn posted:

Who is going to clean out all the pee when some goon discovers he can pee through the floorboards?

Whoever has the highest score on the cishetracistmysogynist shitlord chart (:argh:!) of course!

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Only a tiny relative handful of people have made money off the boom/bust or housing in general while millions have lost big or even most everything they own. That doesn't sound like a viable investment strategy to me. Really it sounds like your uncle got lucky when he bought and sold and you have gotten lucky to be able to buy during a down turn in the housing market.

I held off buying a house for a few years because I thought the market would collapse. The prices were insane. I started looking half-assed in '06 and realized despite having no other debt and good paying job I couldn't afford a good house. I realize there was a bubble and waited. A lot of people told me I was stupid and "housing prices never go down", and "you're wasting money in an apartment". I held to my belief and waited. I closed a couple of weeks after AIG collapsed, having locked in my interest rates before the whole poo poo storm.

It ain't all luck.:smug:

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

etalian posted:

Ideally hopefully due to so many people getting burned home ownership will drop down to more reasonable levels such as 60% to 65% percent of all properties, for other developed countries it's around 55% to 60%
Going by the chart posted earlier, most developed countries have home ownership rates that are well above 60%: Norway (84%), Finland (74%), Italy (73%), Belgium (72%), Ireland (70%), Sweden (70%), Canada (69%), Australia (69%), the UK (68%), Denmark (67%), the Netherlands (67%), and France (63%). The only developed countries with ownership rates below 60% are Austria, Germany, NZ, and Switzerland.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

LemonDrizzle posted:

Sorry, but this is silly. An investment is something you invest money into in the hope of receiving some kind of future gain, whether that's capital appreciation, some kind of dividend, or whatever. Houses can provide both. The fact that house ownership has ongoing costs doesn't somehow disqualify it as an investment any more than a manager's fees disqualify managed funds as investments. You can argue about whether or not a given house is a good investment or whether the housing market should be more tightly regulated to prevent certain undesirable behaviours by investors (e.g. to make speculation unattractive), but a property purchase very clearly is a type of investment.
By this logic baseball cards are an investment. There's a grain of truth there, but it would be rather strange to advocate a national policy encouraging everyone to go into debt to buy them.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

ShadowHawk posted:

By this logic baseball cards are an investment.

They can be, depending on the specific card.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

ShadowHawk posted:

By this logic baseball cards are an investment. There's a grain of truth there, but it would be rather strange to advocate a national policy encouraging everyone to go into debt to buy them.
Inasmuch as they can both provide capital appreciation, sure! However, houses can provide returns in other ways - you can get income from them by renting them out, or live in them yourself and receive an imputed rent. AFAIK the baseball card rental market isn't so hot and they're kind of hard to live in. I also suspect that the likelihood of getting real terms capital appreciation from a house is rather greater than for a baseball card.

More generally, home ownership is widely considered to provide a range of social benefits, primarily because it makes people more likely to care about the upkeep of the area they live in. That's one of the main justifications for its heavy subsidization in various countries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

LemonDrizzle posted:

More generally, home ownership is widely considered to provide a range of social benefits, primarily because it makes people more likely to care about the upkeep of the area they live in. That's one of the main justifications for its heavy subsidization in various countries.

Ha ha, love this classic realtor line about home ownership being good since people will take care of the area better, while renters will destroy a neighborhood like a mongol horde because they don't have a mortgage to keep them responsible for the property.

• Locked thread