Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

As a millennial, my reason for not buying a house is simply that I find it dumb to tie myself down to one geographic area. I really enjoy the freedom of being able to move where jobs and opportunities are.

I will buy a house only after I get married and become ready to have kids. When that happens, the value of stability will outweigh the value of aforementioned freedom. Until then, renting is the most economically sound decision.

This.

I remember reading an article on The Atlantic that wondered why millennials are so "cheap" and unwilling to buy houses. It's as dumb as it sounds: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/09/the-cheapest-generation/309060/

Anyway, anchoring yourself down somewhere in the suburbs is my idea of Hell. Maybe that's my self-righteous way of convincing myself that I have a choice over it, but the economy is definitely making millennials more of a nomad-like generation. Bouncing around to your parents, shacking up with friends or roommates. Etc.

An interesting thing happens when millennials like me realize they can't buy a house or have kids any time soon: there's way more awesome poo poo to do without those things anyway. Life isn't over. I'm not living less of a life than prior generations. Let it be different and interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread