Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

So my cable's been going in and out for the last few days, which has given me the opportunity to re-watch some stuff that I hadn't taken a look at in years ... man, Wonderfalls gets kind of hosed-up at points, y'all. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Fooz posted:

^I'm not going to try to rationalize it but it seems to me like serialized is better entertainment than whatever is non-serialized, save for comedies, but even then it can be better.

I think this is kind of silly, almost as silly as the idea that multi-camera shows are inherently worse or less deserving of respect than single-cam. There are strengths and weaknesses to both formats. Homicide: Life on the Street got pretty serialized beginning with its third season, and it's my favorite show of all time, but Law & Order is right behind it.

raditts posted:

It's pretty stupid to just lump like 90% of the shows on television under one term like that, though. I've seen Law & Order and Person of Interest both referred to as procedurals and aside from being hour-long dramas, they have almost nothing in common.

Just think about the meaning of the word: "Procedure." As in, the episodes, with rare or infrequent exceptions, follow a standard formula. For example, Law & Order: First half-hour is catching the criminal, second half-hour is prosecuting him. Flipping over to comedies, episodes of Frasier involve Frasier chasing a woman or getting a hare-brained idea in his mind, everything going south and at the end he's commiserating with his family. Seinfeld: Everyone is an rear end in a top hat and everything goes south in some way or another by the end.

If the episodes of a show follow a formula, it's a procedural. That's not a criticism, just the way it is.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Y'all are Philistines for not including Homicide: Life on the Street for best intros:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX7ALBb4MSc

(Apologize for the low quality; NBC / A&E appears to be cracking down on them. The Season 1 - 4 intro is the best; the scrolling faces in 5 - 7 was just silly, but the music is still great)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEjaiVQyZto

Also, y'all are remiss in forgetting e.r.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5a8Bkl3gks

As for worst intro of all-time ... I have to agree with Psych. That song gets so incredibly grating.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Why did Flanders' kids have a credit card? :psyduck:

My six-year-old niece has an iPhone.

(I have no idea how her parents afford it, since they live at home with my mother-in-law and neither of them works, and my mother-in-law is semi-retired.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Deadpool posted:

No new shows of note yet in the Fall Season that I've seen.

Yeah, I'd agree with this. Gotham has potential, but the pilot had some amazingly execrable dialogue and the setting is pretty limited in that you know, right from the outset, that Gordon is going to be fighting a losing battle (because Batman eventually needs to appear). Forever on ABC didn't do much for me, but I'll readily admit that Ioan Gruffudd is almost always a non-starter for me.

But it's also a little early -- most networks aren't premiering their new programming for another week or two, presumably because they want viewers to get back into the habit of realizing that first-run programming is on TV again.

Timby fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 29, 2014

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

No, Forbes didn't, a blogger did.

Anytime you see a Forbes url that goes forbes.com/sites/whatever, it's to an article written by an external "contributor," not Forbes itself. They exercise very little editorial control over these and don't even bother to ask for basic fact-checking.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Witches of East End just bit the dust.

I really don't understand why Lifetime wastes time and money on original scripted programming anymore. They could run Grey's Anatomy reruns all day and probably get the same ratings.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Apropos of nothing, I was listening to Rob Paulsen's podcast last night when I suddenly realized that his voice for Pinky is eerily similar to how David Tennant sounds as Doctor Who's Tenth Doctor.

I'm now incredibly disappointed that I'll never hear the Doctor shriek "narf!"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

For me it's when Tennant starts going all squeaky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szuP0oBZX4g&t=129s

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TNT has canceled Franklin & Bash after four seasons. :(

The move comes a week after Kevin Reilly, who was forced out at Fox in May, was announced as the new head of TNT and TBS.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Toxxupation posted:

I need a list of shows that most of TVIV doesn't like or notice about that aired this year for Reasons

there are literally no wrong answers here, go crazy with suggestions, my only caveat is that it's a show that most of tviv didn't watch or remember and at least one episode aired this year- and by "Didn't watch or remember" i mean either didn't have a thread, the thread is dead, or the thread is or was tiny as the show aired/is airing: it could also include shows that were huge but aired at the beginning of this year, so most tvivers dont remember it

for instance, here's my list so far, for reference:

True Detective

Uh, yeah, about that...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Spatula City posted:

Major Crimes

I would love to hear reports on the quality of all of these series.
:getin:

I'm a big fan of Major Crimes. It had a weak-ish first season, which was mostly due to Mary McDonnell filling Kyra Sedgewick's shoes and far too much focus being put on the Rusty character, but the rest of the supporting cast filled in the gaps (Tony Denison and G.W. Bailey will never stop being amazing, and Michael Paul Chan is a great anchor) and they've been firing on all cylinders since then. It's definitely a different show from The Closer, but it shares enough of its DNA.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

feedmyleg posted:

Using the MLB platform instead of going in-house. Anyone know how good/reliable the MLB experience is?

MLB Advanced Media was significantly ahead of the curve in realizing that streaming was the future, and as a result their infrastructure is generally very, very good. WWE uses it for their Network backend, and so does ESPN for its streaming and CBS for its March Madness streaming.

It's a really solid platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

IRQ posted:

e: Also their interface is supposedly hot garbage, which won't be enticing any of the people who only care about shipping.

Eh, it's kind of lovely on console apps but the web interface is fine.

• Locked thread