Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Every company with TV/movie studios has this vision of their monthly subscription service becoming a competitor with Netflix. Think of how much Amazon Prime had evolved since its original purpose. Sony and Microsoft attempting the same model isn't surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

But then he couldn't post more reviews.

Bit of a Catch-22.

(Congrats Annakie.)

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

Six hour probations. They don't even need to be admin-approved. :getin:

Zaggitz just promised Occ perma ops in the IRC if he finishes LMS before coming in again.

I predict this will get him through 3 episodes before he gives in.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Irish Joe's reign as TVIV's first dictator-for-life will be a merciless one. No probations. No bans. Just a 'guillotine' button.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Didn't steal from no money train though.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

I mean, not that I expect it to be a legitimately good show, but what is the point of it if it didn't make some attempt to appeal to the people who grew up watching Boy Meets World?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

IRQ posted:

How decrepit is Mr. Feeny in 2014?

I watched the episode, he is literally a ghost in his cameo.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

CaptainHollywood posted:

Now I gotta see this.

It's like a 5 second cameo. And yeah, the episode itself was pretty bad, in the vein of other live action Disney and Nickelodeon shows. They're not even being subtle about the fact that the titular character and her best friend are effectively female Cory and Shawn. I don't intend to watch any more of it. But that's fine, as people have already said, it's not meant to be for us.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

That was mostly a joke in response to IRQ.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

I um

So how about that Orphan Black?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Oh wow, I didn't even recognize him in Scandal. He was good in it.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Don't worry, they will continue to make terrible cars whether they get show sponsorship or not.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

I enjoyed Season 1 of Rectify, but goddamn was it a slow burn. I hope things pick up a little more this season.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Well for one thing Fargo the show is too good for FX to let it end after one season.

So there will be more of it.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Give Silicon Valley until episode 3 to try to hook you in. But it's only an 8 episode season, so it's not much of a time sink either way.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

That's not even the funniest movie announcement today.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

IRQ posted:

Who keeps funding these things, they keep losing shitloads of money every time then coming back for more. Either way, this is just too perfect.

This one was funded by a kickstarter.

Let that one sink in for a minute.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

poo poo. Now I wish he were directing Episode 7 too.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Rian Johnson directed Fly. There is no way Star Wars 8 and 9 can fail.

Episode 9 will be a bottle episode.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

zoux posted:

Erm no I think it's gonna be Real Good.

Not for Rosario's character though. As a female lead in a Daredevil story, she's destined to end up dead or institutionalized.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Pretty good, but not "drat good?"

Disappointing.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

I bet you didn't even try to solve a murder while you were in town.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Makes me sad that the Sunday TV lineup went from stacked to mostly barren within a few weeks.

Oh right, True Blood is back tonight. I guess that's sort of a TV show.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Ravane posted:

So Tyrant has really strong points in its' visuals with great backdrops and nice settings. But the plot is just mediocre and the characterizations of the middle east are really just thinly-veiled assumptions that everyone is a terrorist or a misogynist.

The show aspires to be many things, and you can see their ambition. The show wants to portray Middle Eastern traditions, which it does well when it's not alluding to the fact that everyone is a terrorist. It suggests that there might be a need for a benevolent dictator in a warring country, to bring it peace, united with the use of force. But then it shits on that idea with a good dictator/bad dictator routine that just further grounds the black and white nature of politics that they were speaking out against. "We can kill this guy and face the terrorism or save him and stop the terrorism. Politics are grey like that."

The brother dictator is just comically evil. He just rapes because he's got the power to rape. But he apparently never touches his wife because he expects her to just throw herself at him whenever he desires it. If he's a rapist, why can't he rape his wife too? It's because he's a badly characterized rapist. It's just thrown in for the shock factor. "Ooh, we're like Game of Thrones."

These characters have less dimensions than Paper Mario. The main character's wife is so stupid, focusing on his relationship with his dad when there's clearly terrorism going on in the background overshadowing everything. The son would rather pursue a homosexual relationship in a foreign country with a guy he barely knows simply because he's gay. Guy just wants to get laid, I understand that. But not when that is the only aspect of his personality revealed. The daughter is the only sensible one, she has two lines of dialogue and two minutes of screen time. Do not watch this show. :shrek:

I know that we give Ravane poo poo for his ambiguous trolling sometimes, but this is all completely on point. Do not watch Tyrant.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My dad read the book and said that (this is vaguely spoilerish) the Religious Right is likely to be very pissed off at how they resolve the "rapture". Assuming they stick to what the book did, of course.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Bareass just sort of became acceptable on basic cable at some point. Not even sure what did it exactly.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Apparently Freddie Wong and his creative partner Matt Arnold were guests on Conan tonight promoting the latest season of Video Game High School. I'm not really a fan of VGHS but it's cool that a special effects-savvy goon got to sit down with Conan, so good for Freddie.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

^^^
That continues to be one of my favorite things on the internet.

Edit: classy dudes.

hcreight fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 29, 2014

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Fun fact: Aatrek jokes make up 80% of the internet's humor.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

TGIF did a lot of weird gimmick episodes. I remember one night they had magic shenanigans on Sabrina the Teenage Witch make it and the other shows in the block all jump into different time periods, which resulted in stuff like a Boy Meets World ep set in the 1940s where Cory is drafted into WW2.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

In terms of cinematography check out Utopia. It even goes a step further and has a 2.35:1 aspect ratio.

Season 1 trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3gxwIqqzB4

Seconded.

Rectify is also a beautifully shot show. [/precision] :v:

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Sober posted:

It might be too early to say but all the people complaining about The Leftovers are probably the same people who took Lost way too seriously and felt like they got crucified by the finale.

I never watched more than bits and pieces of Lost and have no desire to give it a full watch because of the way people argue about it, and I enjoyed The Leftovers' pilot but hardly thought it was perfect either. The way the first four episodes were glowingly reviewed by a bunch of people does leave me wondering if it ups its game going forward.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

hope and vaseline posted:

Aughhhh I can't stand it when eyes get touched, pierced, or anything. It makes me squirm worse than any other kind of body horror.

FYI if you happen to start watching Utopia, as a lot of people have been recommending it, there's a scene you're going to want to skip entirely. But you'll know when it's coming.

Aphrodite posted:

Okay wait. Was Boy Meets World really a big deal? It always felt like just another part of TGIF to me.

And a lot of millennials, myself included, grew up watching TGIF. It wasn't a great or even particularly good show IMO but I get the nostalgia people have for it.

hcreight fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 30, 2014

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Yeah Fargo the show is fantastic but it's built off of everything that worked in the movie first.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

If that's immediately off-putting to you I'm not sure I recommend it, because there's a lot more of that... and worse.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Even Workaholics has its moments. Like the Juggalo episode.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

The best Drunk History segment is the one about Chris Romano's father that I have no idea whether it's remotely true or not.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

He's a competent talk show host who figured out how to maximize his brand through nerd appeal. I don't love or hate @midnight but how funny it is depends entirely on how funny the panel is.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Abel Wingnut posted:

I'm halfway through the second season of Big Love and I have to say it is the weirdest loving show. No one in this show is remotely normal. It's really like some alternate reality and I like watching it.

It's an HBO show that feels like it belongs on Showtime IMO. It also gets increasingly dark as it goes on, especially in the last two seasons. I still think it's worth checking out because there's not a lot on TV like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

That's pretty much why Buscemi's character in The Big Lebowski exists. Catharsis for how annoying his Fargo character was.

• Locked thread