Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
Maybe I should get back to watching Walking Dead - the producers seem to know where it's all headed. I stopped halfway last season.

http://www.avclub.com/article/walking-dead-could-go-long-12-seasons-205754

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

If you're like me and you loved the old My Year/World of Flops column, Nathan Rabin has a column at The Dissolve called Forgotbusters where he talks about movies that were the top-grossing films of their year yet failed to leave any lasting imprint on pop culture. It's pretty rad.

Awesaome, thanks. Their new column for 1 season wonders is ok. http://www.avclub.com/search?feature_types=one-season-wonders-weirdos-and-wannabes

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

hcreight posted:

I watched the episode, he is literally a ghost in his cameo.

Now I gotta see this.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I watched it. It wasn`t terrible. For it`s demographic, I think it`s ok.

Calling him a ghost is incredibly misleading.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

So uh, apparently this is how Rick & Morty started? This is :nws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbTlK3perdI

Every time I see it- I still can't believe it.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

raditts posted:

I definitely would not add 24 or Alias to any list of examples of "good" time jumps. Didn't Alias do it to distance itself from the previous season, because the previous season was just that bad?

Time jumps in 24 serve mainly to pass enough time between seasons for the next friend or relative of the Palmer family to become President, because democracy seems to work wildly differently in the 24 world.

I've never actually seen Six Feet Under, I guess I should fix that some time.

And you never will, because dimension jump.

1. No. In Fact Season 2 of Alias was it's best. The time jump was just a gimmick that turned out very "meh". Giving the main character amnesia didn't help matters.

2. Every season of 24 was essentially a time jump. Still counts :colbert: . In all fairness to comparing "democracy in the 24 world", we may be looking at a Clinton/Bush 2018 Election. Having relatives becomes successors isn't so far fetched.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

GreenNight posted:

Uh, y'all can be pumped about this Unauthorized Saved By The Bell Story:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/unauthorized-saved-by-bell-tv-713208

This is very surreal news because (at least those of us in our 20s-early 30s) grew up on this show- but I remember when TV used to show "Behind the Scenes TV Movies" of shows our parents used to watch. (I'm pretty sure there were Honeymooners and Brady Bunch ones in particular)

It's official- we've become old.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Good news everyone.

Season 2 of Nathan For You is officially finished.

:nws:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=333689560111648&set=a.333689923444945.1073741825.148554508625155&type=1

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I have watched and finished a lot of bad TV over the last few years. Entourage. Weeds. Dexter. Getting through this final season of [Californication hasn't even been close to being as bad as any of those shows.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

IRQ posted:

Wait what?

I vaguely recall some weird poo poo with Urkle doing science experiments or something but nothing that crazy.

Also Stevil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHkOyiqoHUM

I want to play a game

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Okay wait. Was Boy Meets World really a big deal? It always felt like just another part of TGIF to me.

While it did fit the "Family Matters" "Step-By-Step" mould- what really separated it from the pack was that it always felt grounded and at the same time it never stunted the characters and it had them literally grow up. It was Saved By the Bell without 'trying' to be hip and a lot less saccharine storytelling. While everyone wanted to be Zack- everyone was Cory. I think it was the "average-ness" that was so appealing to people.

Not only did the characters grow- but the show grew too with it's audience. Something you seldom see nowadays. The intended audience/age group for season 1 was completely different by the time it reached it's final season.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

This is going to come off as random but I just started watching Masterminds off of Youtube. It's done in the style of Unsolved Mysteries- with the best criminal "masterminds" over the last century. I stumbled upon it and this show is perfect :munch:

Episodes fly by at 22 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sttfCqnnKRk

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Fooz posted:

Man Nathan for You is super weird.

Not really weird- it's an "anti" reality/business improvement show. I don't think I've seen a single show play down every aspect of it- and include so many awkward and dead air exchanges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvqcoR2AGMw&t=61s

It's the earnestness (or at least his facade) of Nathan which sells this show.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

I thought everyone were actors? I mean the people that ask for his help.

The show is mostly genuine from what I've seen and read through his interviews. Even the deli shop owner's daughter and the caricature artist have posted comments on his youtube channel saying what happened was real. It has the most "unmanufactured" drama I've ever seen in a reality show.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Hope when Silicon Valley gets read aloud for "Best Writing" they show this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rdyrtEf2Jk

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

Nip/Tuck was horrible and I'll never forget it. Nip/Tuck scarred me.

And yet I still gave Glee 2+ years of viewing.

Nip/Tuck was perfect for it's time. Also the son on the show has the distinction of being/living one of the most hosed up lives in television history.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

The Duke posted:

The best was when the son became a mime that robbed people :mmmhmm:

Actually the best was when he tried to give himself a circumcision. Tried and failed :stare:

It wasn't all bad---at the end of the show, he goes back to his ex-girlfriend played by Famke Janssen. Who was born a man

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

James Woods Fan posted:

Who could The Carver be? I don't know, but it couldn't possibly be one of the two new cast members.

I remember reading an article after season 2 was finished that he had it all planned out and the viewer should be able to figure it out. Then when season 3 started he flat out denied it being the new character. Then when season 3 ended he admitted to lying

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

raditts posted:

True facts right here. Did they ever make another one after Crash Nitro Kart? Because that one was not quite as good if I recall.

The whole series suffered as soon as Naughty Dog left.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

It just seems like the right approach to a comic adaption. Comics live in that weird time period where Batman's been the same age for 50 years and all the major world changes still happen. Setting the show in the same kind of timeless place makes a lot of sense and gives you the same freedom comics have.

I don't know how Archer hasn't been brought up. That's what it reminds me of. And yes- it's definitely the right choice to do the series.

I remember this show, but can't remember at all what it's about. Ah memories.

FilthyImp posted:

If you're going for actual ripoffs, though, you best go right for the king :magical:
http://youtu.be/qmhRKU5zBS8

I have no recollection of this show and I've remembered nearly every 90's Saturday Morning shows.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

The "find a clip" has me interested. It's VERY difficult to find good quality Simpsons clips on YouTube.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

J-Spot posted:

This means that the final episode of The Simpsons ever produced was actually episode #5F22 (Bart the Mother).

Makes sense. It was the last episode with Phil Hartman. :smith:

Bill Oakley and Josh Weinstein's departure affected a lot too.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Excluding Seinfeld I can't name another show I've watched more in reruns than Simpsons. Simpsons really aged well I think- because I could watch nearly episode from seasons 2-9 and find it just as funny today. I wonder how well it will hold up in 20 years.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

zoux posted:

Lost was fine it just ruined internet TV discussion forever and ever.

I wonder how well-regarded Lost would have been if it aired in the 90s. No show- past or present has been as heavily scrutinized as Lost.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

It was an idea that Blind Date* did 10 years ago and VH1 is doing the same thing**.

*the people at the end of the date would just get naked and gently caress. It was the "Too Hot For TV Blind Date" It was very fake.

**this is real

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

zoux posted:

The Event. Or Heroes post s1. The Cape. Help I thought about NBC and now I can't stop listing terrible dramas. My Own Worst Enemy!

I would rather watch those than Dexter.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

raditts posted:

Flipping through the channel guide I discovered that Spike has come up with a new business rescue show, Gym Rescue.

A google search about the show reveals that things are going great for the people that go on the show.

I bet this one will go over as well as Tattoo Rescue and Parking Lot Rescue.

Don't forget Kitchen Nightmares.

I just watched the first episode of 7 Deadly Sins. It was.... ok. :geno: It's incredibly polished but I find that working against the show. The interviews just come across as way too staged and scripted.

This might be because I've spent the last month watching Nathan For You and watching a "real" documentary show just comes off as too "Holywood". I won't be watching episode 2.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Toxxupation posted:

Justified, American Horror Story, The Bridge, Always Sunny, The League, Archer, The Shield, Rescue Me...

Uh, an easier question to answer is what DON'T they stream

He could be Canadian. Canadian Netflix is pretty bad.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Canadian Netflix actually gets updates to several of those shows faster than the US.

:raise: are you sure? Here's a quick Netflix show list I found for Canada. Only Archer and The Shield are available.

http://www.bestonnetflix.ca/netflix-tv-shows-list

Also:

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2014/05/29/canada-usa-netflix-tv-shows/

1903 TV Shows vs. 223 TV Shows

CaptainHollywood fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 15, 2014

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

hcreight posted:

Also that's Jon Benjamin playing the janitor.

To be fair - he was in the movie :eng101:

That didn't look bad- it just looked like no effort was put in. At all.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Ravane posted:

So I'm currently watching :lost:

It's a wonderful show, I don't know why so many people hate on it. I'm looking forward to seeing the ending, hopefully that offers many, if not all explanations to the strange events of this show.

*raises finger... *slowly puts finger down.

It is a great show overall. I think now that time has passed and the ending has settled in people will look back on it being really good. If you're enjoying it now- the show really kicks off into high gear in the second half of Season 3. Season 3's ending is arguably the best finale in the show's history.

Also note: It wasn't until partway through season 3 where the creators knew when the show would ending.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Fateo McMurray posted:

This image spoils the end of Lost, click if you dare:
http://i.imgur.com/fqUCdgm.gif

It also shows how many questions they answer.

They actually answered a lot of questions.

College Humour put up this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amTScPbrFyM

Then someone put this up in rebuttal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnGyzvNJHDY

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

I didn't know that the singing guy on The League was also some Youtube star. No wonder he's terrible on the show.

This saddens me as a fan of the League, a fan of Jon Lajoie, and as a Canadian.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Going by the episode listing- it was around season 15 I gave up on the show. That's where I stop recognizing episodes by titles. I've seen MAX 10-15 episodes after that.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Four contestants are asked to bid on an item (A Bike for example). The person who gets the closest without going over wins the prize and makes it to the next round.

Contestant 1: $500

Contestant 2: $700

Contestant 3: $950

Contestant 4: $949

What are the odds contestant 4 will win?

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

zoux posted:

Right, I just mean that's a fair statement? He could've been the lowliest wrestling man for all I know. Just want to make sure the credits of Haven aren't lying to me.

He won the Championship if that means anything to you. Also :canada:

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Wandle Cax posted:

Definitely. Also if you don't get the ending you are an idiot.

I can understand people not liking it. People saying, "I don't get it" or "So they were in purgatory the whole time?" are idiots.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

DrVenkman posted:

Just finished the latest 24 and you know what, good for them. It was a really strong season and wasn't marred by any padding. I hope the creative team realises the usefulness of the 12 episode format and don't go back to 24 episodes again.

Both Sutherland and William Devane had great, crushing, moments in the last episode. For all the ridiculous faults and moments the show has sometimes, it can nail those small human moments that show what a burden that life is.

This was the general consensus in the thread as well. Even though there's no news regarding another season/movie- there HAS to be another one.

Also, be on the lookout for when the set comes on BluRay/DVD - for a scene regarding The whereabouts of Tony

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

zoux posted:

As I continue to be impressed by Hell on Wheels' third season, I was thinking what are the biggest turnarounds in TV history. P&R had a huge improvement after season 1, and TNG and DS9 also got a lot better after season 2, but I'm thinking less about shows that just grew into their own than shows where they cleaned house, changed direction and became legit good shows.

Not so much a "turn around"- but I'd say Breaking Bad went from good show to "great/amazing" show after it's first season.

On the flipside Dexter had the biggest dip in quality that I can remember in a show. Although I think it was more realizing Dexter was a magician performing the same trick every season and all the cracks were in full force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Watching the promos for BoJack I can't help but feel it would be better if it was live action. A pompous washed up celebrity seems like perfect casting. The fact that it's animated makes me feel like it's a wasted opportunity.

• Locked thread