Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
If I was the type of person who made photo blogs I would love to make one dedicated to instances of TV shows trying to make old characters look young in a flashback by slapping a wig on them and shooting it in soft-focus, because it's always hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The Clone High movie seems like a perfect candidate for a Veronica mars-style "billion-dollar media conglomerate gets fans to bankroll movie for them" Kickstarter.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I still don't understand what the demand is for what is essentially Batman Babies. May as well go whole hog and have all the villains living in the same orphanage and taken care of by Commissioner Gordon's disembodied pair of legs.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Metropolis posted:

I have no idea what happened there. Like, there's network decay, and then there's network implosion.

From what I understand the network got too big for its britches and tried to play hardball with the creative talent and slash budgets across the board. This resulted in the early termination of two of its biggest shows (Mad Men and Breaking Bad both ended with two half-seasons because it was the most they could negotiate, up from having a single full season), The Walking Dead's infamous second season, and the firing of Frank Darabont. Only after they burned their goodwill with their existing talent and destroyed any hope of being known as an HBO-style creator-driven network all their new shows flopped, and welp here we are.

After the steaming turd that was season 3 I am giving it one episode.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mu Zeta posted:

I love Mad Men but it feels like AMC isn't treating it right. They shafted Breaking Bad, too.

The Killing, Walking Dead, Turn, the 80s computer show, the grimdark cop show, and that railroad show are really boring in comparison. Well Walking Dead can be fun sometimes.

Don't forget that they cancelled Rubicon in the first season. While Small Town Security is still chugging along to this day :ughh:

And Low Winter Sun deserved to be forgotten just for the way they shamelessly tried to piggyback off of Breaking Bad's popularity. Watch 30 commercial-free minutes of your lovely cop show to see the preview for next week's episode of Breaking Bad? :byewhore:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

raditts posted:

You're never going to like Beyond if you compare it to TAS, because what could possibly live up to that. You have to accept it as its own thing with Batman-ish elements. I hated the show when it first came on until I realized that.

Yeah, Terry isn't Batman and the show doesn't pretend that he is. Terry is more like Spider-Man than anything, from the wise-cracking to the boring teen drama, and one of the show's main drives is how he bounces off of Batman when they work together.

The conspicuous teenage target audience, with every other episode being a "very special" episode where Bane is turned into a cautionary tale on steroids or they do a story about addiction with holograms instead of drugs, definitely drags it down but it stands alongside the rest of the DCAU.

Also, the most :effort: episode title of all time:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

VorpalBunny posted:

This just reminded me of the Rick & Morty episode with the sexbot, and Morty's monster son, and how depressing and gross and heartfelt the whole thing was...man, I can't wait for that show to come back!

"...and the sex robot for my grandson."

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

GreenNight posted:

Good thing we have a Supreme Court Justice who weighs court decisions based on what a patriot Jack Bauer is.

Politicians reminisce about Mayberry as if it were a real place and time we could aspire to return to and not a Desilu backlot.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The AV Club used to be pretty good but then they did a bunch of cutbacks and tried to be another lovely Buzzfeed-come-lately and all the actual talent was either let go or left for greener pastures. Now it's either boring recaps or people getting way too worked up over kids cartoons or no effort "lol this lovely thing is soooo lovely you guys! :buddy:" bandwagoning.

If you're like me and you loved the old My Year/World of Flops column, Nathan Rabin has a column at The Dissolve called Forgotbusters where he talks about movies that were the top-grossing films of their year yet failed to leave any lasting imprint on pop culture. It's pretty rad.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of grown adults watching shows for children, season 2 of Gravity Falls starts August 1st. Hopefully this time it won't take them over a year to air a single 20-episode season.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

lelandjs posted:

I dunno, I've been guilty of watching a random episode of Drake and Josh from time to time. I mean, the jokes are phoned in as all hell, and the parent characters don't seem like real people, but instead constructs assembled by some computer algorithm that is like 90% of the way of making a real human being, but I've been known to chuckle while Drake and Josh go to great lengths to sabotage their little poo poo of a sister's salsa recipe or whatever is going on that week.

I wouldn't touch anything like iCarly or Victorious or any of that with a 25 foot pole though. Talk about creepy adult audiences ruining it for normal people, Bronies ain't got poo poo on the adult male audience of Nickelodeon teen girl shows.

[Edit: gently caress the Bronie documentary, I want a doc about the creeps that post on the sordid depths of poo poo like /r/MirandaCroscrove (god I hope that isn't a real subr--oh, who am I kidding, :reddit:) and how they were arrested and sent to jail and all that.]

Dan Schneider, the guy behind live-action Nickelodeon sitcoms since Keenan and Kel, is such a creepy loving weirdo that I wouldn't be surprised if tales of Bryan Singer-level :pedo: debauchery were released tomorrow.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Josh Lyman posted:

So uh, apparently this is how Rick & Morty started?

Might wanna :nws: that.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Deadpool posted:

Well that was completely terrible and unfunny and makes me glad I don't watch this show that's based on it.

It loses a lot without the context: Roiland was making a cartoon called House of Cosbys and he had to shut it down because of legal threats from Bill Cosby's estate, so the dude got pissed off and vented by going out of his way to make something that would piss off some corporate lawyers. In this case, making a cartoon where Marty licks Doc Brown's balls and jerks him off.

Justin Roiland is a very strange man but that was almost a decade ago. It's like deciding not to watch Community because Dan Harmon made Laser Fart.

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 15, 2014

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

I had no clue Amy Schumer and Doug Benson started on LCS. I only watched the first two seasons, and then the one with Josh Blue, who is not, in fact, funny at all. I don't think he is anyway.

Yeah, between Dat Phan winning the first season with his dire "my parents are so fresh-off-the-boat and wacky and foreign 'ching chong bing bong' haha am I right?" routines and the huge season 2 shake-up over the fact that the celebrity judges' votes were being overridden by producers to get comedians they owned promoted on the show I pretty much lost any interest in it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

HorseRenoir posted:

What audience is Korra even for, aside from twenty-something anime nerds hatewatching on Tumblr?

Avatar: The Last Airbender started in almost a decade ago. If you were in elementary school when the show started you would be in high school right now, so a lot of teenagers who watched the original show when they were kids are really into it now and are also making up a big part of the internet community surrounding it.

The Duke posted:

The season 3 finale of Wilfred was hilariously crazy, can't wait for the last season!

Kristen Schaal also shows up for a few episodes, which is always great.

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 21, 2014

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Deadpool posted:

We all know about the worst threads in TVIV, but I have found the saddest thread.

I think my favorite TVIV thread ever was one for some Cartoon Network show (I want to say Secret Mountain Fort Awesome) that only had 2 posts: An OP explaining the show and the cast, then months later a post announcing that the show had been cancelled.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

raditts posted:

Threads for TV shows that get no posts because nobody cares about them are not nearly as sad as threads that nobody cares about but the OP keeps posting in them as though somebody else did.

RIP ADHD

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mu Zeta posted:

Samuel L Jackson said he actually recorded the TV version of the Snakes on a Plane lines so it's even better.

That whole scene was one of the reshoots they did once Snakes on a Plane became a meme and they started crowbarring in the wacky winking ironic humor, but it's still so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4t6zNZ-b0A

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rarity posted:

Worst ones are Lost, for starting the practice of 10 second long opening themes

Short openings rule, more time for programming and less fast-forwarding during marathons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5hkNoyHkRE

e. I love the Fringe opening both by itself and because they went to the trouble to make 7 different versions to reflect the different time periods and dimensions the episodes took place in. It was a pretty ingenious plot device because in season 3 it meant you didn't have to waste any time establishing which universe the episode took place in, the opening credits did it for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKHc7pKZdj0

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Irish Joe posted:

Well, best tv intro is a whole other can of worms, and I have a hard time separating intros I like for nostalgic reasons from genuinely good intros.

I mean, I loving love the original Perfect Strangers theme song. The song is cheesy in an 80s way, but still good. All the shots of the cousins with their families are really touching (check out 80s guy at .30). Balki on the boat excited to see the Statue of Liberty and then the both of them traveling to Chicago to face their destinies, just wonderful. I love it. I loving love all of it. But is it objectively good? I don't know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdFhmRdBtno

Mandatory Perfect Strangers click.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Scratch that, A Valentine For Perfect Strangers is probably my favorite piece of Perfect Strangers-related media on the internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETQ0urHjSIk

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

hcreight posted:

TGIF did a lot of weird gimmick episodes. I remember one night they had magic shenanigans on Sabrina the Teenage Witch make it and the other shows in the block all jump into different time periods, which resulted in stuff like a Boy Meets World ep set in the 1940s where Cory is drafted into WW2.

90s television was pretty dire but I love all the dumb weird gimmicks they pulled. Like when Cartoon Network showed nothing but the same Screwy Squirrel cartoon over and over for April Fool's Day.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

ashpanash posted:

As for an ego, at this point (his show keeps getting resurrected, he gets brought back after being fired unlike anyone else in TV history) can you blame him? He probably thinks he has some sort of divine providence and it's hard to disagree with him.

I love that the dude is already planning ahead for making a Community movie instead of just thanking his lucky stars and using the 6th season to wrap everything up. Never learn or change, Dan.

Dan Harmon posted:

I mean, if they do a sixth season, I have to participate. And having done that, if the movie has to be made out of clay and duct tape in my basement, then that’s how the movie will be made, because there has to be closure. The title of the book about the show is not '"Community," An Interesting Journey into a Show No One Ever Watched.' The title of the book is obviously going to be, 'Six Seasons and a Movie.' So it’s already over. Sometimes our hands are just tied up in fate.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The point of The Invention of Lying is that Ricky Gervais is a smug prick and Atheists can be just as obnoxious and evangelical as Christians.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Spatula City posted:

Good Omens is the best because Pratchett and Gaiman cancel out each other's worst tendencies. Also, it's really rare to have two writers with strong artistic visions collaborate on a novel, and even rarer for it to actually work.

Reading Good Omens is funny because you can almost perfectly tell which characters are Gaiman's and which are Pratchett's because Pratchett's characters have a sense of humor and nuance to them while Gaiman's horsemen are all super cool and badass and evil and totally boring.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

hollylolly posted:

...are you referencing Axe Cop??

He's right about Axe Cop. The actual comic ran out of steam after a few issues, making a cartoon out of it and cramming it full of internet memes (Ron loving Swanson!) just made it even more tired.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Fox ADHD was so embarassing because they were this close. The idea of giving a bunch of young people an animation studio and letting them go hog wild was a surprisingly ballsy move, the problem is that instead of pulling established talent from the internet they gave it to a bunch of shithead art school grads who couldn't do anything but parrot internet memes and mindlessly copy internet trends in the least interesting way possible. It could have been Cartoon Hangover With A Budget And Less Tumblr, instead it was tepid Oatmeal/Cracked.com "oh man you guys remember the 90s?! :buddy:" non-humor.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Xandu posted:

I put in tosh.0 in the background earlier today and id never seen it before. Is it always so...racist? I don't think I'm overly sensitive about this sort of stuff, but it was like non-stop jokes about Mexicans and Asians.

Tosh's whole thing is that he uses being "edgy" as a cover for a lack of talent and a shield from criticism. See: his response to being heckled being a jokeless tirade about how he hoped the heckler got raped, and when people made fun of him for it he whined about how feminists were persecuting him.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

whowhatwhere posted:

Very much so. HBO's first really good show.

Harlock posted:

It is one of my all time favorite shows. Since you probably don't know me, take that as a seal of quality.

Cool. I've been meaning to track it down ever since they talked it up so much on America in Primetime.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of early HBO, one really rad thing about HBO's early days was their children's programming. I get that now they're a mature, adult network so that kind of thing doesn't have a place there anymore but it was probably the only network that something like Buy Me That Too: A Kid's Survival Guide to TV Advertising could have been made and aired on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7VNFO4ksCE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgP3_ZJVs7k

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Oh btw during my exile was I right when I read that there were some people in here throwing shade on the Fargo movie?

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

The movie is a stone-cold classic but I can see how somebody who never saw it until after the show aired would be put off by the difference in tone and content if they were expecting it be exactly like the show.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Key & Peele started getting better about not dragging their sketches out too long around the same time they started bringing back characters and sketches often enough to be annoying. Two steps forward, one step back.

I still like them because they're the only sketch comedy show with actual production values worth a drat.

Please don't post pictures of me in this thread.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

hcreight posted:

Are you in the gif or just your fursona?

Yes.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mu Zeta posted:

In The 100 the planet is irradiated. So when they go exploring the wilderness the song "Radioactive" by Imagine Dragons plays.

I have a decent tolerance for CW-ness but Arrow using Radioactive as makeout music in the season 1 finale was the funniest poo poo.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efiW2K8gASM

It kind of scares me how much that news anchor looks like a female version of Adam Scott.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

comes along bort posted:

It's pretty much this. Players' names have gotten ludicrous the past decade or so. A school near me they got a Zeek, Demage, K'Hadree, and a Khyron this year. And that's just the defensive line.

Are they a football team or the Order of the Bat'leth?

Just be glad they have to use their actual names.

Also eSports, which is so desperate to be taken seriously that some tournaments aren't letting women play in them yet still has people using gamertags instead of their actual names.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The Wire only got two Emmy nominations. It didn't win either of them.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

Yeah last year's been great for TV.

I remember around the time of the Breaking Bad series finale there were a bunch of articles about how the golden age of television was ending with it. :laugh:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mu Zeta posted:

Anyone that had/has a MLP avatar

The last thing you want to do is empower the kinds of pissbabies who think that buying a pony avatar for somebody who upset them is some kind of :master:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Lycus posted:

I don't think it's a bad thing that TVIV has a resident Last Man Standing expert. If someone comes in with a Last Man Standing question, we have someone to direct them to.

It's like Farenheit 451; long after these forums are dust and IMDB has grown dark he'll be roaming the wastelands whispering Last Man Standing plotlines to the other survivors, who will nod before responding in turn with tales of a single autistic child whose mind we all exist in and how small pastel-colored horses were actually for grown men the entire time.

• Locked thread