Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Is there any legal way even to watch Utopia in the US outside of buying the whole season on DVD from amazon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ravane posted:

It's good, but y'all should stop exaggerating how far it goes. It's not at all disturbing.

As is the case with TV IV in general. Burned through both seasons of Hannibal waiting to really be shocked or blown over in a proportionate level to the reactions around here. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it. But that other shoe never dropped. Nothing I really saw was head and shoulders over the top to the point where I gave it much thought after the episode ended.

The same happened with Orphan Black. After seeing post after post of "THIS SHOW", I was rather shocked about how tame the show actually was. Again, enjoyed it, but nothing really stood out as being horribly shocking to me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That was quick.

Microsoft is shuttering Xbox Entertainment Studios. So, Xbox is going to be out of the original content game before they really even got started.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Fargo has been renewed by FX.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/07/21/fargo-louie-renewed-by-fx/284641/

Interested to see the direction they go with for a second season.

quote:

The ten-episode second season of Fargo will feature an entirely new cast and will be set in a different time period.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The only reason why Lost got the attention that it did is because it was one of the first genre shows that somehow managed to attract a mainstream audience.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sober posted:

Even if you wanna argue Lost got mired in "mysteries that create more mysteries and answers that just post more questions" at least it didn't get mired in stupid sci-fi technobabble. That stuff scares mainstream audiences away.

I don't think there's anything particular about Lost that kept it from scaring the audience away. I think it just happened to be at the right place at the right time and they introduced the supernatural elements of the show slow enough that people got invested in the show and didn't want to stop watching.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Irish Joe posted:

Or "audiences hate sci-fi" is wrong and people actually like fantastic elements in their movies/tv shows, which would explain the success of Avatar, Gravity, The Big Bang Theory, Superhero movies and Game of Thrones.

Point of fact, every example you gave (barring the broad category of Superhero movies) was post Lost, but that's not really the point I was trying to make. There have always been scifi blockbusters and there have even been high rated genre tv shows before.

Let's boil this down a bit more. Lost was the first high profile scifi/fantasy show in the post internet era that gathered a mainstream audience. That led to much more widespread discussion and media exposure. There wasn't anything special about it that made it a mainstream success and there's nothing that really warrants the level of discussion that surrounds it compared to other shows. It just happened to show up at the right place at the right time to embed itself in the culture.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 23, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

zoux posted:

I'd say "heavy serialization" was a bigger factor in its success than "genre".

I agree as well. I wasn't saying anything about genre being a factor in the success, only about the level of discussion it raised.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Aphrodite posted:

The plot for Into Darkness is pretty straightforward, I don't see how it can be confusing.

It's not confusing, it just has massive holes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ravane posted:

I thought they cancelled them? I never see twilight zone on Syfy.

They just had one on the 4th and they certainly had one this past New Years.

It always confuses me when I hear someone bagging on Syfy because they are one of the few cable stations out there that has stayed as close to their original mission statement as possible. 15 years ago, they had only like 3 hours of primetime new programming on a Friday night. Now they are scheduling original programming almost every night of the week in both fall and summer and it's nearly 100% genre based in one form or another. You may not like the quality standards of everything that's on there, but that's hardly unique to Syfy.

So they don't run hours of Trek, Stargate, or Twilight Zone anymore (along with reruns of 100 other shows.) There's a reason for that, they are all on Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon Prime where people can watch them as much as they want whenever they want. There's no money in showing them anymore when they have plenty of reruns now of their own programming to show.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 2, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mo0 posted:

what?! gently caress, Lucas Bros and Axe Cop were both great fun. I hope Adult Swim picks one or both up.

There were talks of Axe Cop showing up in the Sunday block. I think they had already completed a bunch of half hour episodes, so it would probably be something they throw in to burn off the episodes and if it does good they would continue it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

hcreight posted:

It seemed like they were lining up Forbes to be a regular on Orphan Black next season. Not sure if that influences how much she'll be on Powers.

Eh, everything is filmed in Canada using the same actors. I've seen some of them show up on like 3 shows simultaneously. I don't think there will be a problem with her being on two shows at once.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

A tip, record must of them on the SD station to use less storage. Simpsons wasn't HD until like season 20.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

timp posted:

You know after this marathon is over you can just pull any part of any single episode from Simpsons World online, right?

Well, only if your provider has a streaming deal with FXX, not all do.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Season 3 was a mess because they were laying the groundwork for an aborted spinoff. As a result, it never gained any momentum and just meandered from one thing to another.

Hopefully they learned their lesson and Season 4 will be a return to form. It better since it is Jessica Lange's last season.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

GreenNight posted:

I read an article today saying that she is considering doing another season because she's having so much fun with this one.

That would be great if they keep the quality up.

Between this and Fargo, I'm liking the sort of self contained seasons with their own independent story. Something about knowing the payoff will come right away is fun.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DivisionPost posted:

Wasn't it produced by The Asylum?

Yup!

That alone gets me to watch the pilot.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Metropolis posted:

It's bad in basically every way a show can be bad, except it's not boring.

That's why the ratings haven't tanked.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DirtyRobot posted:

or will, at the very least, take a chance on something that isn't wrestling for the first time in basically a decade

You haven't been watching Syfy much have you? They have tons of genre appropriate programming.

Syfy is better recently than it has been in the past 10 years.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hot on the heels of the HBO announcement, CBS is now doing an ala carte streaming option.

http://deadline.com/2014/10/cbs-launches-subscription-streaming-service-852895/

quote:

It’s called CBS All Access, and it will offer streams of broadcasts from the 14 stations that the network owns, as well as VOD for “thousands of episodes from the current season, previous seasons and classic shows,” the company says. It’s available today at CBS.com as well as iOS and Android apps for mobile devices.

I've said before that HBO going streaming only will be the dam break that causes other networks to follow suit.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I honestly wonder if it's because networks don't want to scare people away as they burn off episodes.

I mean, Fox cut Mulaney's order to 13 episodes. It's cancelled in all but name only. They likely won't announce that it's cancelled until May though when they just fail to renew it.

It would not surprise me in the least if the networks don't toss around the term cancelled anymore since they likely see a huge ratings tank after they do. It's far better for them just to cut orders or not give the back 9 and just fail to renew in the spring.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ad revenue as part of overall revenue for TV networks has been declining YoY (which is one of the reasons why we've been seeing carriage battles between MSOs and content providers more frequently.) Eventually, this will work itself out. We are in a transition period right now so everyone is throwing everything at the wall to see if it sticks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm a little baffled why people bring up HBO Go as an example as what they want, do they realize the full extent of that request?

HBO costs upwards of $20 a month straight to the subscriber (and I'm willing to bet they charge the cable company carriage fees on top of that.) Their output is high quality, but it's also lower volume than most of the other networks out there. So, you're paying $20+ /month for a single network for the privilege of being ad free.

Would you be willing to pay $15-20 /month per network represented on Hulu to get it ad free?

When it comes right down to it, streaming takes eyeballs off the linear channel which runs ads. Ads represent over 50% of the revenue that networks take in. You cannot reasonably expect them to take a 50% hit in revenue just because you are viewing the content OnDemand over the internet instead of in front of the TV. That's just the way the economics of TV work right now. The price Hulu charges in no way offsets the lost ad revenue + lost carriage fees (on top of the the cost of running the infrastructure for Hulu), so it's offset with ads (fewer than you would get if you watched it live though.) If you want an ad free experience, buy individual shows from iTunes/Google Play/Amazon/Vudu. You'll end up paying less than your cable subscription in the vast majority of cases, you'll get the content in higher quality, and you'll be able to watch it whenever you want on whatever device you choose. That's the only way you are going to send a message that you would rather pay for things a la carte and ad free. It also is just as easy as torrenting unless you count putting in your credit card number an insurmountable obstacle. With the advent of the $35 Chromecast and the fact that Google Play Video is available on every single platform out there, the only literal excuse for torrenting rather than buying is simply "I don't want to pay for it." That's fine if you feel that way, but don't pretend that it isn't super easy to watch this stuff legally now and pay for it. By opting out of contributing any money at all for the content you are consuming, you abdicate your vote as to what direction that content delivery takes.

As I mentioned above, revenue from ads are declining as the attention for our eyeballs has been divided more and more and fewer and fewer people are watching ads due to DVRs. If they can see a relevant business model that still lets them money that gets them out of this trap, they will likely explore it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I found a lot of OnDemand network programming will have full ads as broadcast for the first 7 days after airing. After that, they tend to drop them for much shorter ad breaks (if any at all).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

STAC Goat posted:

This is where I am during everyone of these debates. I still have vivid memories of messing around with a VCR timer to record six hours of shows on a VHS one show at a time and wearing that tape so thin I couldn't see anything.

Even worse is before cable having to make sure you remember to set the antenna in the correct position for the station you were recording or else all you would get is static.

I'm only 35, but that was my experience up to the beginning of high school when cable finally became available on our street. DVRs were in their infancy and only about two years old after I graduated college and started adult life, so the fact that I can record 6 things at once in HD and then use a SlingBox to watch it anywhere I drat well please still boggles my mind a bit.

We live in a day and age where for only a handful of dollars, you can watch pretty much anything made anytime anywhere. That, by itself, is incredible. Yes, some experiences still stuck and even the ones held up to a golden standard misstep (I don't expect HBO to fix their android app until 3-6 months after the release of 5.0.) But things change a lot, very quickly. HBO going and making a streaming only package available next year is HUGE and will let a lot of people who have been hanging on to a cable sub just for it to cut the cord. When others follow suit and aren't able to monetize to the levels of HBO, there's hope that they'll get the idea that stuffing ads down our throat isn't the way to go.

Alternatively, the future is this.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/22/technology-changed-product-placement/

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 23, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

sbaldrick posted:

I hope the Archie show is crazy like the Dark Archie fan trailer where Jughead is gay, Moose is in roids, Betty blows Archie to keep up with Veronica and Reggie is a date rapist.

So..really not too far removed from ADHD's High School USA!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

muscles like this? posted:

The first episode of the new Adult Swim show Mike Tyson Mysteries started last night and it was pretty weird. The premise is that the ghost of the Marquees of Queensbury has convinced Mike Tyson to clean up his act and now Tyson, alongside the ghost, his adopted Chinese daughter and a pigeon that used to be a man, drive around in a van solving mysteries.

Despite the Hanna Barbera premise the first episode involved Mike and his group going out to Cormac McCarthy's ranch to help him finish his latest novel and then fighting a chupacabra that was actually John Updike.

The really interesting thing is I felt the whole thing was rather tame and grounded by Adult Swim standards.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I want to believe if it's something that got Bruce back in the saddle for Ash, it will be something amazing.

The only real doubt I have is can a 56 year old Bruce Campbell really do all the physical work anymore?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

He's also behind a huge podcast/youtube empire with Nerdist Industries.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/11/23/nbc-not-picking-up-back-nine-episodes-of-constantine/330982/

Constantine is not getting a back nine though NBC says they have not ruled out renewing it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Clearly the solution is for everyone to have 600hz TVs.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm just glad I made the move to a 6 tuner DVR this year given some of the overlap in shows I watch.

I'm ok with them burning through the last season quickly though, it's not like we need to worry about it getting good ratings this year. They could air it at 3 am for all I care just as long as they do a decent conclusion.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Vincent posted:

I didn't know it had a second season! Awesome!

This is the 3rd season.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra.

Wait...what are we doing?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Data and the Borg Queen

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

zoux posted:

Good for them but since they've only had one unequivocally good show so far I'll guess we'll have to see.

Well, the question is why would we set Netflix's bar higher than any current broadcast or cable network.

The real threat here is if Netflix's slate is that ambitious and not tied to a specific TV season, they may poach series that networks may have bid on before they are ready to bid on them. Once the traditional fall TV season starts breaking down (and to be honest, this has been happening on its own the past few years with stronger and stronger summer programming), the whole ratings and ad structure completely collapses.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Shageletic posted:

EDIT: Speaking of the Firefly, I'm seeing Wash on posters about some sort of news comedy. Anybody watched it?

It's Newsreaders and It's amazing. It's a spinoff from two episodes of Children's Hospital where they partially broke the 4th wall and did a behind the scenes of the "TV show."

Alan Tudyk took over from Mather Zickel as the 'anchor' in the 2nd season.

It also has Ray Wise and Kumail Nanjiani

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It seems that Animation Domination HD has found a new home on FXX

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/12/17/fxx-launches-new-late-night-animation-block/340711/

quote:

LOS ANGELES, December 17, 2014 – FXX will launch its new late-night animation block at midnight on January 22nd featuring all-new episodes of Lucas Bros. Moving Co. and Stone Quackers, it was announced today by Chuck Saftler, President of Program Strategy and COO, FX Networks. Fans will get a sneak peek at the animation block on January 1st at 12 AM ET/PT immediately following a special marathon of The Simpsons. Following the official launch on January 22, the animation block will air on Thursdays at midnight ET/PT, featuring fresh episodes of Lucas Bros. Moving Co. and Stone Quackers.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Adult Swim is doing something right.

They Basic Cable's #1 Network with young adults for the 10th year running.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...ve-year/340729/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They were still #1 in primetime hours for 18-24, so no cheating there.

• Locked thread