Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I'm watching rectify. Its good so far.

Fuckin' teddy though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

unlimited shrimp posted:

I watched the first half of the first episode of Halt and Catch Fire but I couldn't figure out why I was supposed to care about anything that was happening. Also, Lee Pace's character seems like a Don Draper knockoff.

It's not a very good pilot, every character is bad.

^I'm not going to try to rationalize it but it seems to me like serialized is better entertainment than whatever is non-serialized, save for comedies, but even then it can be better.

Fooz fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 8, 2014

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Rectify:

Huh, didn't see that coming.

Count me in as one of the 8 people who watch this.

Fooz fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 8, 2014

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Lycus posted:

I've realized that I'm a sucker for the whole "adjusting to the modern word" thing, whether it's a serious take like in Rectify or silly take like in Sleepy Hollow. I figure that's why I kinda liked the first episode of the 4400 and quickly got bored after that when it started focusing on everybody's super powers instead.

I watched that lost boys of sudan come to america documentary ("god grew tired of us" or something) for some sweet vicarious "adjusting to the modern world", but they didn't give a poo poo about the 'modern' world. It wasn't very satisfying.

If I was adjusting to 2034, I'd binge so much media that I'd die.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Man you guys are watching a lot of children's shows.

I mean I watch last airbender stuff so i have no legs to stand on though.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Yeah Rick and Morty is really good. You don't need to use Doc and Mharty to feel smug about not watching it.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Time jumps is my favorite plot device in TV, but it kind of stinks to have one spoiled.

A time jump after dexter season 4 could have saved the show.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

raditts posted:

I can't think of a show where a time jump has been done well. It seems to be the go-to device for "we've written ourselves into a corner and have no idea where to go from here, so... FIVE YEARS LATER!"

Lost, Fargo

Hopefully Parks n' Rec.

Fooz fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 18, 2014

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

DivisionPost posted:

It's not fair to compare the entire ten episode run of Fargo to the climactic eight episodes of Breaking Bad. Really, it's simply not fair.

It isn't.

Not fair at all.

But Jesus Christ if Fargo didn't just come shockingly close.

Nobody gives BB season 5a due.

It was pure gold from 501 until Granite State.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Better Call Saul seems like a terrible idea to me.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Dry and without merit, good and funny, and I don't watch that.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Has H&CF gotten any better after the pilot? That's the only episode I watched and it didn't make me want to watch any more.

It got a little bit worse.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Just Watched Fargo the movie, the show is a whole lot better, but thats not a big surprise.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The point of The Invention of Lying is that Ricky Gervais is a smug prick and Atheists can be just as obnoxious and evangelical as Christians.

This is all the truth but the last point is super tired.

That movie is a bad movie.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Im late but Drunk History is amazing.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Man Nathan for You is super weird.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Despite being a " Storm's a-comin' " episode, Halt and Catch Fire actually made a decent episode.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

All mass media awards are bad, ok?

Every year.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Ricky Gervais is never warranted.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Vampires are one of many dumb things.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Man what's going on in here?

I've tried a few times to get through leftovers 1x01, it's not easy.

Not that I think it's bad, but it sure is not exciting.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I never understood why people would watch the same 3 shark documentaries on repeat for a week, let alone get excited about it.

Maybe I just don't belong on this earth.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Theres no wilfred on demand...

:(

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Octavian from rome!

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I don't forsee Fargo nor true detective living up to their first seasons but hopefully I'm wrong.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

This new season of Korra is good, finally.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I'll watch the new Simpsons, why not? It's alright. I never had any sort of feverish nostalgia for the early run though.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Wasn't the whole finale some random poo poo they had never mentioned before though? I guess that's a running theme with avatar though.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Ugh this is almost as bad as star wars talk.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Wait, theres a drama about the manhattan project starting next week? That sounds awesome. Any reason I should lower my expectations?

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Not under soldier field. At a field that is since gone (Stag field or something?) the site is now a landmark and a university library.

Edit: The manhattan project had one extremely dramatic event that occurred during its operations, I wonder how they'll portray it. It's drama gold, really.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Into darkness was a great summer action movie. Perfect amount of action, worth 10 bucks. I understand if you hate it because you're a longtime trek fan but your version of the franchise is long dead and nothing will ever revive it.

Yes I was talking about the dragons tail stuff before, didn't realize that they were after the bombs, bummer.

People who parrot RLM are the worst. RLM did to opinions what lost did to discussion.

Lost still rules though.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I dunno, the whole opening scene, klingon planet dogfight, the warp drive spaceship boxing match, the atmosphere entry, the spaceship crash, the realization of future San Francisco, all really cool stuff and delivered at a good pace. You're right that the klingon fistfight was really bad.

I like it because I might go see a summer action movie with somewhat better direction, plotting, dialogue, etc, but if it only has 2 1/2 action scenes and they weren't amazing I'm gonna be bored and frustrated. I go into a movie like that with an expectation to be actively and outwardly entertained. If the movie depends on my introspection to deliver it's best side, it's a futile mission because I wouldn't have stepped foot in the theater if I was in any mood to introspect. I'd have gone to an indie theater most likely, and I say this as someone whose favorite movies are action-less dramas.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

He's also the corniest person alive. Or is that Howie Mandell?

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I like the box :(. It has a lot of confidence in its absurdism.

The Darko director's cut was really bad though, yeah.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Manhattan pilot is good. Good pilot.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

No FXX on demand, FX now doesn't support verizon, cant watch wilfred. gently caress you cable.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Just caught up on Hell on Wheels after a year or two of not watching it. I like it, save for a very odd/dumb plot point in the S3 Finale.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Korra and Gravity Falls are ok-er than people give them credit for (in opposite directions). They're pretty ok. Horseman show looks good, aaron paul seems strangely unfit for VO though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Junkyard Wars was the best wars.

• Locked thread