Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I just finished the first season of Farscape yesterday, and I did not expect it to be THAT good. This show is better than Star Trek in all the ways that matter, holy poo poo. Better than all of the Star Treks, except maybe the original series. The characters drive the plot, and they are such strong characters, at that, multifaceted and dynamic. And, jesus christ, how did they make puppets so expressive? Rygel and Pilot are incredible feats of design. The Nerve/The Hidden Memory two-parter is as thrilling as anything I've seen from a sci-fi show, easily comparable to the Chain of Command two-parter from TNG.
Also worth mentioning, Farscape is unusually strong in terms of female characters, with Aeryn and Zhaan both being complex, rounded inviduals with agency, and from what little we see of Chiana in the first season, she seems that way as well. Also RIP PK Tech Girl. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

I accidentally ate at the cafe from Twin Peaks a couple weeks ago. I was passing through a town called North Bend in Washington when we stopped. Apparently that was where the cafe scenes in Twin Peaks were filmed. The coffee was pretty good.

I've eaten at that cafe too, it's called Tweety's, and it's pretty great. :3:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

precision posted:

American Gods may be Gaiman's weakest novel but the show should be fun enough to watch. And at least the novel's existence got us to Anansi Boys, which is just a fun read.

e: to be clear, I love Neil Gaiman, but I tried to re-read AG one time and I was like "ehhhhhh" and I am a crazy person who has re-read Stephenson's Baroque Cycle twice

Good Omens is the best because Pratchett and Gaiman cancel out each other's worst tendencies. Also, it's really rare to have two writers with strong artistic visions collaborate on a novel, and even rarer for it to actually work.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I have a decent tolerance for CW-ness but Arrow using Radioactive as makeout music in the season 1 finale was the funniest poo poo.

I actually sort of liked that because I think that particular relationship is horribly toxic, and that makeout was a bad idea on both their parts.
Olicity all the loving way. :colbert:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

That actually does look pretty decent. Though as a guy who never watched Nikita, I wish that main guy was actually Robert Carlyle, rather than a guy who looks like American Robert Carlyle.

Carlyle is too busy being great on a show that fundamentally does not deserve his greatness. :smith:
Once Upon a Time is why I never make TV watching decisions based on the hotness of the lead actress anymore.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Irish Joe posted:

Ginnifer Goodwin???

(if you say Jennifer Morrison I won't believe you)

There is no rational way to explain what I do and don't find attractive.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I stayed in a hotel last night, and ended up channel surfing to HBO, where I watched an episode of The Leftovers. Does...does it make anymore sense in context? :psyduck:
Scott Glenn was good, though.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I like Amazon Prime's incredible TV selection, but for two problems. On the box (whose name I forget, but it's hooked to the TV and gives us Prime and Netflix on there), if you go to watch a show, you have to go to More Ways to Watch, and select the bottom option, because the default option is to purchase the episode. Which is pure evil on Amazon's part.
The other issue is that Prime advertises having a wide movie selection, but it doesn't have one. Not, at least, in the batch of movies you can watch if you have a Prime account. There's a few gems, but the gem to garbage ratio is somehow worse than Netflix instant. Almost all the movies I want to watch are not covered in Prime. I put together a watchlist, and it was 12 movies long.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

People say "grey boxes" but I see little grenades. :3:

I am happy to see you are enjoying LOST, Ravane, but I would encourage you to adjust your expectations a little about what would satisfy you as an "answer" to each mystery. Most are indeed answered, the problem was, fans hated the answers.
But the true fans respected the ending as great art. :smug:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I could have sworn I heard about a Garfunkel and Oates TV show happening like, three or four years ago. They were cool then. The zeitgeist has now passed them by. :smith:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I would watch a Drunk Kitchen show. :3:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I don't know poo poo about wrestling, but I know of Stone Cold Steve Austin, the Undertaker, Andre the Giant, the Ultimate Warrior, and John Cena.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

Look man

I am a simple man, with simple pleasures

When an episode of television gives me a shouty lanky English nerd sword fighting an alien on his own, city sized ship, I am going to love that episode of television

That is just a fact

I'm honestly not surprised. The hate will flow through you again, later. But at first, Tennant suckers you in with his lovable shoutiness. There's a reason Doctor Who became enormously popular with women around that time.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Talking about TV, the pilot of Selfie is on ABC.com, and it's surprisingly good.
If you don't know what it is, it's sort of a Pygmalion/My Fair Lady adaptation for the Twitter era starring Karen Gillan and John Cho. If this did not already interest you, you're weird, but okay. What might interest all of you is that it's really well written and acted, and Cho and Gillan have fantastic chemistry.
also it would probably be impossible to tell while watching it that Karen Gillan is Scottish if you didn't know ahead of time.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Irish Joe posted:

^We have reached critical fedora.

:ughh:

I'll give it three episodes to see if things improve, but I thought the pilot was really bad. The show feels like it was written by an angry grandpa. Its so drat preachy and what few jokes there were were all weird comeuppance or karmic retribution poo poo directed towards a character whose only crime was using social media.

If this isn't a major point in Selfie's favor, I don't know what is. The Irish Joe Seal of Disapproval.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Bown posted:

The Selfie pilot was a giant piece of poo poo and I don't know why anyone would come in here and lie about that to such an extent

Cool, expressing honest opinions is now lying. Eff off, jerkward.
You have a right to your opinion, but this poo poo is part of a forum tendency to assume that any opinions deviating from a certain arbitrary standard of what's "acceptable" must be trolling. I wish people would cut that poo poo out, in part because encouraging that assumption is EXACTLY what trolls want. Trolls, in general, are gigantic cynics who don't understand why anyone would sincerely like anything, and while getting a rise out of people is their first objective, their second is trying to get people not to care too much about anything.
tbh, I largely appreciated the Selfie pilot because I'm a social media hermit who doesn't own a Twitter account, and have the dumbest phone possible to even get, and I'm proud of both facts. So I really identified with John Cho's character.
Also I have a mancrush on John Cho and would watch him in literally anything. :allears:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Irish Joe posted:

I honestly don't know what's worse, the people so invested in the concept of Bojack Horseman that they claim to like it despite expressing, at best, a tepid reaction to the show, or you, the person who enjoys a show because he identifies with a character who is crabby, backwards misanthrope.

We all have a crabby backwards misanthrope within us. :3:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Hey which ethnicities should we pick for the Yellow and Black Rangers?

Iranian and Samoan.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I would totally watch a reality show about a group of thoroughly unpleasant, terrible nerds interacting. But, like, not as a competition thing.
Like, Final Fantasy House, the reality series.
Maybe the pitch is that A&E or Syfy or the History Channel or some other channel buys a house, and has like 6 or 7 Tumblr superstars stay in it together. People would watch this show.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I want to binge a TV show within the next couple days, and could use help deciding.

Options:
Sleepy Hollow season 1
Broad City season 1
Key and Peele, every bit of it available on Amazon Prime
Carnivale
finish Continuum season 2
continue watching Once Upon a Time season 2 (consider this the I Hate You option)
Revenge season 2
Caprica
24 season 1 (never seen more than a few random episodes of 24)
Homeland season 2 :haw:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Vincent posted:

It surprised me how bad the first episode of the new season of Doctor Who is.

Nope. Only 1/3 of it was bad. The rest was fascinating, daring, and effectively rebooted the series in a new, more somber direction.
I will concede there were too many dumb jokes at Strax's expense. And the dinosaur was pointless.
But Peter Capaldi owns and will be the best Doctor of the revival. :colbert:

Also, thank you all for your opinions, I shall watch Sleepy Hollow first, then Carnivale, then Broad City, then Caprica. It's nice to have a prioritized list. :unsmith:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Up to the restaurant is a full half.

But Clara finally showing a backbone, and the whole bit with the homeless guy is before the restaurant.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

River is such a great character.

Whether you're referring to Firefly or Doctor Who, you are terribly, horribly wrong.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Everyone should support Whit Stillman. Damsels in Distress is a great loving movie. If you say you hate it, you are a poopman.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Sober posted:

Pilots always have the unfortunate job of having to basically introduce most if not all of the main cast, tell people why their characters are interesting, establish the tone of the series and the world and make it through a plot in so little time. You can do it, but if you have a fairly large cast like this (or say, Black Sails) it gets exponentially harder. And then people occasionally (not always wrongly) cry foul and wonder where all the subtlety went. That's why I stopped judging shows simply by their pilot if they get a series pickup because I'm sure the creators realize this too.

I happen to know Todd Vanderwerff online (casually, not like close friends or anything), and had a whole long argument with him over whether Flashforward would be any good. I read the pilot's script, and predicted doom. He said it was really promising, and could be a big hit.
:smug:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

A weird thing about the TNT show Legends is that the first episode made it seem like the show would be a procedural since the first case is set up and solved in one episode. However each subsequent episode has been about one case altogether.

So the first episode's like the pre-credits sequences of a Bond movie, and the rest of the series is that movie?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

precision posted:

For me at least, the worst sin of seasons 4-6 of Lost were that they went to almost ludicrous lengths to both explicitly and implicitly tell the audience that everything that's been happening actually makes sense and is even based on things like math and physics. And then they said "Haha, nope, forget all that".

Where are the rest of these comics? I remember really loving them, despite the fact I largely love the end of LOST. They're just really, really funny, and Smug Jacob is adorable.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I'm excited for HOW. TO GET. AWAY WITH. MURDER! *Viola Davis smiles evilly*
especially if it turns out her students actually kill someone, and have to use her lessons to literally accomplish the title.
Also exciting that it seems like Viola Davis's character might be gleefully amoral, unlike Olivia Pope, who's amoral while utterly convinced of her moral rectitude. I would love to watch a tv show with a female protagonist who doesn't give a poo poo about right and wrong.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Ravane posted:

I feel this just outlined how stupid the show's concept actually is.

Yes. It is very stupid. And I love it. Stupid premises have made great shows before. Sleepy Hollow, for example.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

question: if for whatever crazy/dumb reason I wanted to watch Agents of Shield, which episodes could I skip?
I just watched the pilot, and it's stupid in a kind of relaxing way. Definitely not in the same league as Arrow, but not unwatchable.
and then I watched the fourth episode. Somebody else I asked said after that just skip to episode 13. Is that good advice?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Live action Teen Titans? awesome. They might have to do it without Robin, though.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

So my SHIELD abridged watching experience has been pretty good so far. Got up to TRACKS, the first actual legit good episode. Skye and Coulson are the only characters worth a drat, though, other than Mike Peterson. So of course they put one of the only characters I like in mortal peril. OF COURSE.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Cardboard Box A posted:

I thought you were talking about THE SHIELD for a moment there and I was REALLY confused....

Anyway I thought Eye Spy was actually the first legit good episode for me, since it felt like an actual mission impossible/superteam episode with real suspense, real surprises, and an interesting macguffin. After that, yeah, they got worse until basically TRACKS.

okay, "Turn, Turn, Turn" owns all the bones. Everything else was filler/stalling to get to that awesome moment. I literally feel like I missed almost nothing skipping a lot of the episodes. Bill Paxton just chews into his scenes, and digests the scenery like it's delicious cake. That moment where he realizes Coulson's figured it out is just beautifully acted.
Is there like, a youtube compilation of Paxton's best moments on the show? That's really the only essential bit of Agents of SHIELD, IMHO.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I recommend the series Daybreak. 13 great episodes that take a solid premise, and do terrific things with it. Stars Taye Diggs. Jonathan Banks is one of the villains. Has a time looping conceit, but applied to crime drama/conspiracy thriller genre.

Also Life. Life is probably one of the best modern cop procedurals. Shame it only got two seasons. Damien Lewis and Sarah Shahi are magnetic. and the premise is killer: cop gets convicted of murder he did not do, acquitted over 10 years later and given a substantial money settlement, and what does he decide to do? BECOME A COP AGAIN.

also, it seems, VagueRant, that you might not have heard of Spaced. It is an entire TV series of Edgar Wright and it is brilliant beginning to end. Not that it's very many episodes given that it's a British sitcom.
Speaking of British sitcoms, IT Crowd also deserves a mention.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I love all three of those movies. Here's my thing: Shaun of the Dead is the most consistent, Hot Fuzz is the most rewatchable, and The World's End is the most emotionally fulfilling. So if I want a film that never bores me at any moment I watch Shaun, if I want to laugh like a maniac, I watch Fuzz, and if I want to cry I watch World.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I don't care about the cohesion of the Marvel universe versus the DC universe or any bullshit like that, I just want good movies and good TV shows. Agents of SHIELD is a bad TV show. Arrow is a very good one. So, as far as I'm concerned, DC might be losing on the movie front, but they're winning on the TV front.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I really need to revisit Man of Steel, but even though on the whole I didn't love it due to getting fatigued by the third act's symphony of destruction, I still consider it better than half of the Marvel movies. Only better movies are Iron Man 3, Cap 1&2, and Guardians.
The Avengers is hot garbage, in part because it is so obviously influenced by TV more than film, but also because the characters are cardboard quip machines. also it has the most corporate, cynical aesthetic.
Also, to tie this back into TV, it's the same world as Agents of SHIELD, and I'm not sure how anyone could like The Avengers and then turn around and say Agents of SHIELD is terrible. They're of a piece. They have similar levels of character depth, with the only separation being slightly higher production values and better actors. SHIELD gets far better when it transforms into a show operating in Captain America 2's world instead, and it also has a good episode where it's playing around in the Thor series' world (also apparently a bad one, too, but I didn't see that one).

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

It's unlikely Clarice Starling will appear on the show, but it would be really cool if Fuller could get Foster to direct an episode.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

SALT CURES HAM posted:

So my parents started watching Utopia (UK) on my recommendation and they think I'm a psychopath now.

For some strange reason, I had a nightmare about the show the other night, and I've only seen the opening scene. It's making me hesitant to watch the whole show, because it's a testament to just how good that scene is in establishing terror.
In the nightmare, the guy in the yellow coat comes in with the other dudes and massacres everyone in a bar because one person in there might know something, but they're not sure who, so better to be safe there. I think it was one of those dreams with a detached perspective, where I wasn't actually in it, but watching from a god's eye view. anyway, a few people managed to escape through an underground passage.
loving dreams.
But, I dunno, on the other hand this might just compel me to watch Utopia soon. Since Hannibal, I've realized dread and atmospheric horror are dope, to use the parlance of Cinema Discusso. well, actually it probably traces back to watching The Innocents, one of the greatest horror films ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Wasn't NBC's success mostly The Blacklist and The Voice doing well?

• Locked thread