Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

smg77 posted:

Can the new mod be somebody who never watched Lost? That show has broken too many people to trust its fans to run the asylum.

I've never seen Lost. Give me a star, DP. :smugbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Graceland was pretty terrible last season. It tried way too hard to do the whole ~*SHADES OF GREY*~ thing and ended up just falling flat.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Deadpool posted:

There was a really bad cartoon idea where they all went to high school together. So at least that bullet was dodged.

10 year old me would have been all over that. :colbert:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

So yeah it really sucks how AMC is a huge disappointment now.

Is there anything of substance here, or are you just declaring them dead because you don't like their programming anymore?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Deadpool posted:

Well you see, it's a site started by The Onion that somehow became a popular review site even though it's not very good at all. That's the joke. Everything about it is a parody that nobody gets.

AV Club is generally pretty good. I think there is one writer there that I don't like reading, but the site as a whole is fine. They're quick, I usually agree with their reviews, and they can be pretty funny sometimes. What's your issue with it?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

What scary ghost dog is (as far as I can tell) trying to say is that Hotwire didn't go with a gay couple by sheer coincidence. They specifically picked a gay couple because it would trigger exactly the reaction that you displayed in your post. Most people would think it was completely inoffensive. Some would share it with their friends/readers because it features a gay couple, as you did. Most importantly, conservative groups would flip a poo poo, and other media outlets would report on their outrage, causing people to watch the ad without Hotwire having to pay for it. It's purely a marketing tactic.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Congress decided to sync up our elections with The West Wing's to reduce confusion.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

WOOOO FARGO FINALE!

Seriously if you didn't watch this show for whatever reason, do so as soon as possible.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Irish Joe posted:

AmericanEducation.gif

I find it much more depressing that there is a market for this kind of television show than it is for someone not to notice a trick question on a fast paced game show.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Every actor ever has appeared on Law and Order. loving Philip Seymour Hoffman appeared on Law and Order.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Television is pretty great guys.

And speaking of great television, you should all be watching Suits.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

I generally like Graceland but the bit last week with Jakes' family was really stupid. From his ex-wife refusing to actually tell him that his son wasn't moving in with him to the whole restraining order coming out of nowhere and instantly being arrested by cops the whole thing seemed like it was just drama for drama.

I haven't watched this season, but the bolded part certainly sounds like Graceland to me. What a dreadful show.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

A classroom of children? Does he mean a regular class of 20-30 kids, or one of those remedial English classes with like 6 students? This is important.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

GreenNight posted:

I just saw the commercial for the Fox remake of Broadchurch. What the gently caress? It looks exactly the same shot for shot. The hell David Tennant?

I know this will come as a shock, but most people in the States don't watch British television.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Gonz posted:

Reminder: The Bridge returns for a second season starting tomorrow on FX.

I can't help but get mad at this show for wasting such a good premise, setting, and actors last season. The first few episodes were great, and it just devolved from there into a revenge fantasy with a cackling evil, omnipotent villain played by an actor who was way out of his depth.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 8, 2014

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

What career field are you all in that leaves you with so little time that you have to min-max your TV watching? It sounds terrible.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Allison Tolman is in the Supporting Actress category? Is that a joke? The entire series is the Molly Solverson power hour.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Actors submit for their categories, she figured she has a much better chance to win in supporting (which she does)

I understand that, but it's still loving stupid. I mean, at least with Fargo, you can make the case that it narrowly fits the definition of a miniseries based on what has been released about the as-yet unconfirmed second season. With Tolman, there is literally no person who can be trusted not to choke themselves getting dressed in the morning who would describe her role as a supporting one. It's blatant vote gaming. Why even bother splitting the categories if you aren't making an effort to abide by them?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

e: ^ :argh:

timp posted:

Where is Tim Allen? Is he doing anything? I feel like he could still be viable in hollywood, in TV at the very least, yet he's nowhere to be found. He was doing a lot of voiceover work for a while and I was like, good for you, that's cool, but he should be in front of the camera more often I say

Do I have the thread for you:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3632901

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Also, no idea who this guy is since I don't watch the show but Brooks Wheelan has announced that he was fired from SNL.

You could probably watch SNL and not know who Brooks Wheelan is. He was on so rarely and lacked any distinctive flair that this shouldn't be coming as a surprise to anyone.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Deadpool posted:

They should have fired Kyle Mooney instead.

Most of the cast is still in flux, so there's hope.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

zoux posted:

Hmmm. Kyle Mooney owns. Never seen his SNL stuff though.

I take that back.. I saw his student council pres ad, which was sublime.

Ahaha. It's 4:3 and looks like it was made in Windows Movie Maker, how funny!

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

ahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Instead of watching season 1 of LMS, you should be forced to maintain your current posting rate on the IMDB forums.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Yoshifan823 posted:

There were some pop songs in the first season, but not nearly as many as later. Remember, the fourth episode had a football team dancing to Single Ladies to distract their opponents long enough for Kurt to kick the game winning field goal.

That doesn't even make sense.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

I've never seen an episode of the Simpsons, so this marathon and the website are a huge boon to me. Guess I'm the only one excited. :shrug:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

zoux posted:

I'm gonna say a thing about Community but I demand you not talk about Community because it is incidental.

Yahoo said they are going to release Community weekly and not all at once. I *think* this is the first time that a (non-ad driven) streaming service has released content like that, and I think it's a huuuuge mistake. Netflix has said time and time again that people prefer to binge watch and I'm not sure what Yahoo hopes to gain by doing the week to week thing.

Basically if you are a streaming service and you aren't slavishly copying everything Netflix does w/r/t its business and content model, you are loving up.

I'm glad you brought this up, because I disagree completely. This is one of those situations where I think you have to analyze the data a bit more than just "people use our service in this way." I mean, there are definitely times that I wished I didn't have to wait a week for the next episode of Fargo, Sleepy Hollow, or Arrow, but that doesn't mean that it's smart as a content provider to allow access in such a way. Releasing episodes week to week allows you to build up tension, and as a result builds excitement in your audience. A show like House of Cards has none of that. Every cliffhanger can be resolved by pressing the Next Episode button. Honestly, this is why I think that, years from now, we won't remember House of Cards in the same way we do The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, or Fargo. The former was just sort of a flash in the pan as far as pop culture goes. People talked about it for a couple weeks and then it dropped off the radar, owing in part to the fact that it was more of a long movie than a TV show. In comparison, The Walking Dead and Breaking Bad managed to build themselves into event television. They both dominated popular culture for months at a time, in a way that House of Cards could never hope to achieve in a dozen seasons.

Note: Very little of what I just said applies to 30 minute comedies. :shrug:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Bown posted:

Gang Related, kinda.

I think he might mean this one:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3600145

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

I'm watching a movie on AMC and they just had a commercial for Turn, except they kept calling it "Turn: Washington's Spies" did they rebrand it or something?

If it is a rebranding, I hope they do it for all their shows.

Halt and Catch Fire: PC Cloning
Mad Men: Advertising Executives
Hell on Wheels: Building a Railroad
Small Town Security: Retards

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

OldSenileGuy posted:

Orphan Black is like Breaking Bad

I agree with OSG.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Just dropping in every 20-30 pages of the thread or so to remind everyone that they owe it to themselves to check out Longmire.

You're missing a good show along with Lou-Diamond Phillips' best acting in years.

This show was on one day, and I had heard good things so I tuned in to find a shirtless man in the desert being held up by a rope attached to a bar in his chest. Does it get weirder than that?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Deadpool posted:

If that's the best they have to offer than I'm especially glad I don't live there.

Have you ever seen the Graham Norton Show? The quality fluctuates a bit depending on the guests, but it's pretty god drat funny. You should probably skip the (thankfully short) monologue though.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Except Chicago, that's gross.

You may as well cut out your taste buds. You're obviously not using them.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

raditts posted:

There are certainly better things to use them on than the trashcans made of dough you call "deep dish pizza."

Yes, I've compiled a list for you:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

bubblelubble posted:

I just started watching The Newsroom, and after my obligatory post-pilot review-and-general-Googling, I'm pretty bummed to hear it supposedly gets worse. Here I was under the hopeful impression that its third season being its last was one of those "end on a high" kind of things, rather than being run into the ground by a bunch of haters. Sad sad sad. That "America is not the greatest country anymore" speech was one of the best TV speeches I've seen - kudos to Jeff Daniels for that goddamn delivery.

The show stays fairly consistent throughout the first season, and I'd say it gets better in the second, despite the unfortunate lack of Terry Crews.

The threads here are awful though. There was a sizable contingent of posters who felt that if they watched the show religiously and then posted about how sexist it was(n't) on an internet comedy forum, then they would singlehandedly end sexism in America. All they accomplished was sounding more insufferably smug than the show is at its worst moments.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Only with more he-man woman-hating.

See, now this is exactly the bullshit that made the thread so bad. Sure, if you approach sexism as if it were a binary action, then the Newsroom is sexist. But if that's how you view it, then I'm really not sure how you can watch anything that airs on TV. Honestly, you could pretty much have the same discussion about any show with a significantly co-ed cast, Suits being the first example that comes to mind. The Newsroom threads here suffered from having too few people who cared about the show enough to post about it regularly, most of whom were even less inclined to do so after discussion devolved into a sexism circle jerk. Now don't get me wrong, sexism in television is a discussion worth having, but having that discussion focused around one show to the exclusion of all else doesn't really inspire people to take what you're saying seriously.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

What Dreams May Come is going to be loving depressing now. :smith:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

Caught up on Girl Meets World over the weekend and if anyone bowed out after the first 1 or 2 episodes, it's gotten way better.

Good. I was afraid that a children's tv show wasn't going to live up to my high standards for that sort of entertainment.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

Hey guys...Doctor Who kinda rules

Doctor Who has done what Last Man Standing never could: It broke Occ's brain.

fake edit: I mean, what you said is true, but you shouldn't be saying it.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

e: Wow, that was way more mean-spirited than I intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

This HTPC thing sounds cool. Is there a reliable source of information for building one of them?

• Locked thread