Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Deadpool posted:

I loved Lost, and it's finale. So if you do or don't like me, I'm sure that's solely the reason why. I think the only bad thing about Lost was that it caused people to overanalyze a lot of shows that followed to the point that for a long time it poisoned discussion about TV. People started to think everything was a mystery to be solved and saw things that weren't there. I think we're just now getting to the point where people are finally learning that's not the case. But that's not really Lost's fault so much as it's the fault of crazy fans.

That, and for years after Lost, even up to the present time, people seem to think there's some inherent superiority in heavily serialized shows, derisively referring to every other show on television as "procedurals" although I still can't get a straight answer out of anyone as to what the gently caress they define as a "procedural."

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Sober posted:

Oh wait, no, I misremembered, but there was another 4-all white male lead "big mystery" show around the same time during Lost that was equally crappy. I think it was supposed to be a thriller or something and completely took place all in the present. I think it was like one of the friends or something was convicted of murder or something huge (?) but for some reason everyone was hunting for the other three friends?

I think?

That sounds familiar but the name escapes me too.

One that hasn't been mentioned is "Windfall" about a bunch of people that hit the same numbers on the lottery jackpot. For all I know it was cancelled before it even began because I don't remember seeing commercials for it after whenever it was supposed to premiere.

Deadpool posted:

A procedural is quite easy to define. It's a show (almost exclusively of the one hour drama variety) that pretty much follows the same formula every episode. They usually tie up the story in one episode so it's easy to jump into at any point. That's a procedural.

It's pretty stupid to just lump like 90% of the shows on television under one term like that, though. I've seen Law & Order and Person of Interest both referred to as procedurals and aside from being hour-long dramas, they have almost nothing in common.

Fooz posted:

^I'm not going to try to rationalize it but it seems to me like serialized is better entertainment than whatever is non-serialized, save for comedies, but even then it can be better.

I can think of at least a few shows whose stand-alone episodes are much better than the serialized ones. X-Files and Burn Notice immediately come to mind.

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 8, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Jingleheimer posted:

I was just thinking about Wonderfalls the other day. Do any streaming services have it or do I have to track down dvds in order to watch it again?

Thinking about one Bryan Fuller show makes me want to watch the other ones as well. I never did finish Dead Like Me but I think I remember hearing that it wasn't as good in the second season. And Pushing Daisies was my favorite show at the time when I was watching it. I suppose I might as well watch one of those while I wait for more Hannibal.

Go for it, as long as you go in with the understanding that none of them have any kind of satisfying ending and you'll be upset at how they were unceremoniously killed off.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Timby posted:

If the episodes of a show follow a formula, it's a procedural. That's not a criticism, just the way it is.

Yes, I understand that, but much like single-cam vs. multi-cam, those aspects are only ever brought up to paint the show in question in a negative light. It's a term that applies to so many different kinds of shows that it's pretty meaningless to even bring it up for any other reason.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

OldSenileGuy posted:

OMG OMG OMG OMG

http://www.slashfilm.com/phil-lord-chris-miller-clone-high-movie-sequel/

OMG OMG OMG

Although, screw them if this doesn't eventually become a reality. I've long ago made my peace with never getting closure to the cliffhanger that ended the series, so there better be a drat good reason for them to re-open those old wounds.

The only appropriate response to this news is http://youtu.be/CDNmLPATW0s?t=9s

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Irish Joe posted:

Of course they cast a white guy to play a black character. :sigh:

Bravo, Joe. :golfclap:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Deadpool posted:

There was a really bad cartoon idea where they all went to high school together. So at least that bullet was dodged.

On a related note, I have no idea how, but somehow Iron Man Armored Adventures (aka "Iron Man Babies") managed to not only be not terrible but actually pretty good.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

muscles like this? posted:

Fox has canceled I Want to Marry 'Harry' and Riot.

I had no idea either of those shows had even started airing.

I finally got around to finishing watching Supernatural season 8. It wasn't bad, but it suffers the same problems as every season since season 5 where they have plotlines that wind up going nowhere. Is season 9 any good? I'm assuming Abaddon and Metatron are the big bosses.

raditts fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 13, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Thwomp posted:

You're not.

While I didn't love it like BTAS, it wasn't as strong. It had it's good (old Bruce, some of the new villains) points but they couldn't come up with a rogues gallery as compelling as Batman's usual staple. It's telling that nearly all the best Beyond episodes involve Batman's old rogues or the wider DC universe.

You're never going to like Beyond if you compare it to TAS, because what could possibly live up to that. You have to accept it as its own thing with Batman-ish elements. I hated the show when it first came on until I realized that.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

xeria posted:

I finished watching season 1 of 24 last night, and it...kind of felt boring? I didn't really care at all about what happened with Jack's wife, and everyone felt like they had exactly two emotions: :geno: and :qq:. And then Jack's third emotion, :tizzy:.

Should I bother watching more if the first season didn't really grab me?

You really shouldn't watch past episode 12 either way, it takes a distinct nosedive after that point.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

hcreight posted:

I mean, not that I expect it to be a legitimately good show, but what is the point of it if it didn't make some attempt to appeal to the people who grew up watching Boy Meets World?

If you've ever seen a Disney Channel sitcom then you know that whoever watches that poo poo will literally watch anything. Throw in name recognition and nostalgia and you can only go up from there.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Irish Joe posted:

I grew up watching Hey Dude and Salute Your Shorts, so far be it for me to throw stones at kids who watch the Boy Meets Girl revival.

I'll give you that because I loved Hey Dude as a kid and when I saw it again for the first time in 20 years on that Nick 90's block I wondered what the gently caress I was thinking back then. But at least those shows didn't have a laugh track after literally every single line. Laughtracks to Disney sitcoms are like whipcracks to Johnny Test.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Deadpool posted:

Well that was completely terrible and unfunny and makes me glad I don't watch this show that's based on it.

Channel 101 was pretty loving hot garbage in general. There was also a very short-lived TV spinoff in the mid-2000s called "Acceptable.TV" where they had a bunch of lovely unfunny shorts and you were supposed to vote for which ones got a new episode the next week. I didn't know who Dan Harmon was back then, but knowing it now between those and The Sarah Silverman Program I have no idea how he gets people to keep letting him make TV shows.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

muscles like this? posted:

Well, in "Heroes Reborn" casting news they've announced that Jack Coleman aka "Mr Bennet" aka "HRG" is back for it. Although I doubt they'll have issues getting anybody back. Seeing as nobody from the show's career is really all that busy. I mean, yeah, Zachary Quinto is Spock but other than that he's not really doing all that much.

Doesn't Hayden Panatierre still have that Nashville show? I thought that was pretty popular.

FactsAreUseless posted:

"Period piece" would be a good name for chick flicks. Or "menstrual show."

Well I just got a terrifying mental image of what would be used as face paint in a menstrual show. :gonk:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Have any of you guys seen this Hotwire commercial? Apparently it's two weeks old but I just saw it on TV and I was amazed that it featured a gay couple and didn't make light of the fact that they were a gay couple at all. Just treated them like totally normal people. I'm proud of you, TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BaOAJsBPRw

So when looking up a clip of it on Youtube I find that of course lovely conservative groups are against it. Why would "One Million Moms" give a gently caress about this kind of thing anyway?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

scary ghost dog posted:

Its called marketing dumbass and it looks like you bought it hook line and sinker

So what if it is, what the gently caress does that have to do with anything? That Cheerios commercial with the interracial couple that idiots poo poo themselves over was marketing too but I liked that one as well, do I need to check in with you for a list of what is and is not suitable to enjoy on TV because they might be trying to sell me something?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

scary ghost dog posted:

Just keep enjoying commercials for no reason other than being planted firmly in the target demographic

I know being a dickhead about absolutely everything is the hot new thing for everyone to do around here and all and I don't even know what you're trying to rage against here, but if the target demographic is "people who are pleasantly surprised at seeing different types of people on TV that are not painted as wacky stereotypes" then yes I will keep enjoying them, thank you :)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Irish Joe posted:

Look, if this guy is more entertained by a Cheerios commercial because it has a bunch of gays on it than, say, Game of Thrones for being an exciting, well written and expertly produced drama, more power to him. His tastes might be the equivalent of a baby fascinated by shiny objects, but by god, they're his tastes. And nothing you, I, or anyone says will change that.

They're more entertaining than any given episode of 2 Broke Girls, that's for drat sure.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

JohnSherman posted:

What scary ghost dog is (as far as I can tell) trying to say is that Hotwire didn't go with a gay couple by sheer coincidence. They specifically picked a gay couple because it would trigger exactly the reaction that you displayed in your post. Most people would think it was completely inoffensive. Some would share it with their friends/readers because it features a gay couple, as you did. Most importantly, conservative groups would flip a poo poo, and other media outlets would report on their outrage, causing people to watch the ad without Hotwire having to pay for it. It's purely a marketing tactic.

Well no poo poo, it's a commercial so of course it's a marketing tactic. Is the fact that things you see on commercials are designed to sell you things a secret to anybody here? Regardless of the motive, it's a nice thing to see, and it's certainly no reason to get all smug and surly and dickish about it.

zoux posted:

Nevertheless, people think that what they see on TV is what real life is, and showing gay couples just being around and normal and unremarkable is a step towards normalizing gay couples in society so while it there are sinister capitalist motives behind it, it is a net benefit to society.

This guy gets what I was trying to say.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Fooz posted:

Time jumps is my favorite plot device in TV, but it kind of stinks to have one spoiled.

A time jump after dexter season 4 could have saved the show.

I can't think of a show where a time jump has been done well. It seems to be the go-to device for "we've written ourselves into a corner and have no idea where to go from here, so... FIVE YEARS LATER!"

Eureka took it to a whole new level with a cross-dimension jump, where a few of the main characters got sent to an alternate dimension which rebooted every other character into alternate roles and brought several back from the dead, basically rendering the entire show up to that point moot.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I definitely would not add 24 or Alias to any list of examples of "good" time jumps. Didn't Alias do it to distance itself from the previous season, because the previous season was just that bad?

Time jumps in 24 serve mainly to pass enough time between seasons for the next friend or relative of the Palmer family to become President, because democracy seems to work wildly differently in the 24 world.

I've never actually seen Six Feet Under, I guess I should fix that some time.

STAC Goat posted:

Eureka just seemed determined to confuse the poo poo out of you with all the weird time and dimensional jumps. I still don't loving know the deal with Carter and Zoe passing themselves on the road.

And you never will, because dimension jump.

raditts fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 18, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

achillesforever6 posted:

Surprised it took this long for VH1 to finally finish reviewing the 2000s. I have a soft spot for the "I Love" series since it introduced me to comedians like Michael Ian Black and Patrice O'Neal, but I bet this new one isn't as good.

Are they actually doing new ones or are they just rerunning the ones they did a few years back? I can't remember how many years were still left in the decade when they decided they needed to do a flashback series on it.

CaptainHollywood posted:

2. Every season of 24 was essentially a time jump. Still counts :colbert: . In all fairness to comparing "democracy in the 24 world", we may be looking at a Clinton/Bush 2018 Election. Having relatives becomes successors isn't so far fetched.

That would be 24-level bizarre, since the next presidential election is in 2016. :haw:

raditts fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 18, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Not if it's a gameshow where you give and/or receive sexual favors from strangers.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

I can't wait for the Kinect version!

You can enjoy the PC version in the meantime.
http://www.easylife.org/fufme/ (slightly nws)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I couldn't get into Broad City myself. I didn't think it was particularly bad or anything, just that I never watched it and found myself saying "I want to see more of this."

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Hedrigall posted:

I dunno if anyone's mentioned it yet but they're currently auditioning contestants (as far as I can tell that website's legit but it could be fake I guess) for a second season of Whodunnit. I hope there are other goons who loved that wacky, ridiculous show as much as I did last year :allears:

Why would they bother auditioning contestants for what is essentially serialized dinner theatre aired in prime time?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

zoux posted:

So how is this Chelsea Handler Netflix talk show supposed to work exactly?

Who cares, as long as it means she's not on regular TV anymore where I might see her by accident.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

JohnSherman posted:

I find it much more depressing that there is a market for this kind of television show than it is for someone not to notice a trick question on a fast paced game show.

Where does it still come on? I remember it came on Fox like 5-6 years ago and got cancelled after like a month, and then it got re-tooled for kids and put on Cartoon Network when they were doing that big push for lovely live-action programming, but I didn't know it was still airing even on there.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Kobayashi wouldn't have stood a chance in the Glutton Bowl. Maybe he can inhale 100 hot dogs but let's see how bad he is when pig brains or bowls of plain mayo are thrown in the mix.

Don't sleep on fat people.

Because they have enough trouble sleeping, you see, what with the sleep apnea and all.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

He's directing the Episodes 8 and 9 of Star Wars.

Also I didn't know there were going to be spin off movies. They already announced like two additional Star Wars on top of that.

The EU's got nothing on Disney's penchant for franchising and DTVs.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Cardboard Box A posted:

Should I finish Season 2 of Korra? I watched up through the origin of the avatar special which was pretty good but stopped there.

How do you feel about absurd kaiju battles?

Deadpool posted:

My last act as mod will be the permanent ousting of the Korra thread to the anime forum so it may not be a burden upon my fellow mods.

You are a true champion of the people.

precision posted:

Hey guys, Wilfred season 3 just got added to Netflix. If you haven't watched the show, what's wrong with you? It's Elijah Wood getting stoned with an Australian man in a dog suit and a David Lynch level exploration of philosophy at the same time. Get on it, jerks.

Does season 3 get better toward the end? I only got like halfway through before I got tired of it because it got so boring and it started to get to be the same thing every episode of Wilfred being an insufferable piece of poo poo the whole episode, but oh he was actually trying to teach Ryan some kind of life lesson in the process, how deep.

When does season 4 start anyway? I remember seeing a commercial a few weeks ago saying it was going to be the final season.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

FactsAreUseless posted:

I accidentally ate at the cafe from Twin Peaks a couple weeks ago. I was passing through a town called North Bend in Washington when we stopped. Apparently that was where the cafe scenes in Twin Peaks were filmed. The coffee was pretty good.

What about the pie?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

hcreight posted:

Makes me sad that the Sunday TV lineup went from stacked to mostly barren within a few weeks.

No kidding, I somehow found myself watching Wipeout of all things. And I'll probably leave it on ABC to watch Rising Star, because I'm excited at taking one step closer to the fourth-wall-TV future depicted in Fahrenheit 451 where viewers are led to believe that they actually have some kind of interactivity with the shows they watch.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm stuck in a house with this on the TV. gently caress it I'm all in for this shitfest. Someone better figure out how to goatse the live voting wall

I didn't follow how they intend to tabulate votes for the west coast re-airing at all. Doesn't this whole thing kind of hinge on airing live?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Deadpool posted:

We all know about the worst threads in TVIV, but I have found the saddest thread.

Threads for TV shows that get no posts because nobody cares about them are not nearly as sad as threads that nobody cares about but the OP keeps posting in them as though somebody else did.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

hope and vaseline posted:

VH1's method of playing Showgirls: Digitally painted underwear!

That's just the all-around TV edit, I believe they used to show it on TNT all the time. I'm surprised you guys haven't seen it before, it's up there with "Stranger in the alps" and "monkey-fightin' snakes on this Monday-to-Friday plane" as far as hilariously terrible TV edits go.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Irish Joe posted:

Finally, an excuse to watch Friday Night Lights!

Ahaha, who am I kidding. I'm never going to watch FNL.

This, except also with The Wire.

DivisionPost posted:

I'm obligated to post this whenever there's a chat about TV edits. It's a sickness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CpAE9c1lN8

You can't forget this then, it's one of those rare "things that were funny on Mad TV after the first season."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqE7ZxH7BJE

Although nobody knows what PAX is anymore. Does ION even still exist?

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 27, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Bown posted:

I feel nothing but sympathy for the both of yous.

also people who are smug about not watching a certain show are so weird.

I'm not being smug, those are two shows I've been meaning to watch for years and I'm just accepting the fact that I will probably never get around to it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

:lol: I'd nearly forgotten about that too, but once I started watching it, I remembered the whole thing. Amazing.

Man, why couldn't the whole show have been as quality as those sketches?

Had to make time for the weekly Ms. Swan and Stuart sketches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

xeria posted:

If you ever watched more than the opening credits (which are top 5 worst ever), you would also loathe The L Word. I have a very good feeling about this.

What are your top 5 worst opening credits? I feel like The Mindy Project has gotta be up there.

• Locked thread