Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hey, it's a new Couch Chat thread.

I've got about a week left, and if you talk about Adventure Time or Game of Thrones in this thread before I leave I will cut you! Otherwise carry on and don't get in dumb slap fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Tracy Morgan was in a six car accident and is in critical condition.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/07/showbiz/tracy-morgan-hospitalized/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

You never know who could be reading this thread. Maybe there's a person out there that we're looking at to be the next mod. Maybe that person is you. Let's all take a moment to send a message to that person and tell them something that may get them to either take or turn down being a mod. I've already created a few default responses that I feel would be popular so you can just quote one of them if you can't come up with one of you own!

"Take the job, you can't be much worse than Deadpool. He doesn't even like Game of Thrones or Dr. Who. The guy is a monster."

"Take the job, you literally could not be any worse than Aatrek. Because he was a literal monster."

"Take the job, I'd say you can't be worse than OldSenileGuy but I've only posted on this forum every day for 5 years so I'm not entirely sure who that is."

"Don't take the job because Game of Thrones."

"No really, Game of Thrones. Have you seen how those people post?"

"Before you take the job I'm going to need your full thoughts on the series finale of Lost. This is very important."

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I loved Lost, and it's finale. So if you do or don't like me, I'm sure that's solely the reason why. I think the only bad thing about Lost was that it caused people to overanalyze a lot of shows that followed to the point that for a long time it poisoned discussion about TV. People started to think everything was a mystery to be solved and saw things that weren't there. I think we're just now getting to the point where people are finally learning that's not the case. But that's not really Lost's fault so much as it's the fault of crazy fans.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah the "Big Mystery" shows that followed were largely terrible for reasons beyond their failure to solve those mysteries. I'm talking about shows like Surface, Persons Unknown, Threshold, Invasion, Flashforward, The Event, Alcatraz, V, The Nine, and so on and so on. All of those shows failed largely because there was no reason to care about anybody on them.

Were there any of those shows that could be considered a success? Fringe maybe. I don't know if I'd lump it in that pile. And while Jericho is one I would lump in that pile it didn't succeed for other reasons. There were several characters I cared about in that show. More than all those others I named combined.

X-O fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 8, 2014

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, that should be a future mod challenge right there. gently caress that show. That was really bad TV

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There was one about a group of kids that graduated high school together that I remember too. It kept going back and forth in time and they had a secret that threatened to tear them apart or something. It had a really simple and obvious name that I am blanking on for some reason.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The dumb show I was thinking of a few posts ago was called Reunion. Lasted a whole 13 episodes. But it made me think of a show that I had tried to block from my mind. One that may have been worse than Persons Unknown. Does anyone remember the Fox show Vanished? Holy poo poo was that terrible. So bad they killed off the main character like six or seven episodes in because it was so lovely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06yNi3GpNgA

I think that was the worst of the Lost cash ins I ever watched.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

muscles like this? posted:

I don't think I've heard of that show ever.

You're very lucky. It wasn't good in the first place but it had a finale so bad that it retroactively made the entire series about ten times worse after the fact.

X-O fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jun 8, 2014

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sober posted:

Oh poo poo, I think I just barely remember Reunion now. It's all coming back. I can't believe I watched that. Oh right, I'm sure they took like 8 episodes or something to finally get to the point and then it ended. It was pretty dumb.

You can relive it now if you want! It's all on Youtube. Why you ask? Because nobody cares about copyright for something that bad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-GjhHRSxao

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Boogaleeboo posted:

The principle of saving every loving thing ever will get people to save *anything*, no matter what it is.

There's someone, somewhere out there that has the complete series of Veritas: The Quest on a DVDR in a drawer. Just think about that for a moment.

Sober posted:

Oh wait, no, I misremembered, but there was another 4-all white male lead "big mystery" show around the same time during Lost that was equally crappy. I think it was supposed to be a thriller or something and completely took place all in the present. I think it was like one of the friends or something was convicted of murder or something huge (?) but for some reason everyone was hunting for the other three friends?

I think?

You may be thinking of Traveler, but I really liked that one for some reason.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

raditts posted:

That, and for years after Lost, even up to the present time, people seem to think there's some inherent superiority in heavily serialized shows, derisively referring to every other show on television as "procedurals" although I still can't get a straight answer out of anyone as to what the gently caress they define as a "procedural."

A procedural is quite easy to define. It's a show (almost exclusively of the one hour drama variety) that pretty much follows the same formula every episode. They usually tie up the story in one episode so it's easy to jump into at any point. That's a procedural.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

raditts posted:

It's pretty stupid to just lump like 90% of the shows on television under one term like that, though. I've seen Law & Order and Person of Interest both referred to as procedurals and aside from being hour-long dramas, they have almost nothing in common.

Except a procedural doesn't say anything about specific content of the show. Just the formula. Kind of like single camera and multi camera sitcom describe the kind of show you're watching not the specific content of it. Procedural is fine to use to describe both Law & Order and Person of Interest.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Except that procedural is a term almost exclusively used to describe a formula that deals with some kind of case solving on a week by week basis. Lost would not be a procedural under the most common use. A show like Supernatural on the other hand would though. Having a set formula doesn't automatically make it a procedural. I wouldn't consider a show like Big Bang Theory or Modern Family a procedural even though almost every episode follows the same formula.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hey guys, we've got incoming. Someone has been chosen to replace me. I'll let them introduce themselves whenever it happens though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Also I'm doubleposting for more awesome news. Vincent D'Onofrio was just cast as Kingpin in the Daredevil series in one of the most genius casting moves I've seen in a long time.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Annakie posted:

Yes, but it only works for the first person who does it.

Hi everyone, I'm the new mod.

Everything in this post is true.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aphrodite posted:

Your first act should be probating him for posting in here before finishing his toxx.

Technically that was the last thread. But I'm extending it to this thread now!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Congrats Annakie :) I can't wait to see how you shape the post-Deadpool landscape.

We're all just living in OSG's world man.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lycus posted:

So did Rectify have a thread or whatnot, or was there just a few "watch Rectify" posts here in the chat thread?

There was a small chorus of "Watch this now" posts from those of us that saw it. But no thread. I don't think enough people were interested or had Sundance in order to watch it when it came out. Also it's really slow so even though it's amazing some people will not be able to make it through.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I don't know how I feel about Lassiter running this subforum.

You should feel safe.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rarity posted:

How's that Game of Thrones thread Annakie? :unsmigghh:

That's a question better asked to OSG who pretty much handles most of it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Irish Joe posted:

Why would a moderator not immediately trash any report that came from the Game of Thrones thread? Its not like they're selling drugs in that thread. At worst, they're maybe--MAYBE--spoiling a decade-old book with no ending.

99% of the reports from that thread are trashed. About the same percentage as the rest of this forum. People report a lot of petty stuff. But on occasion there are things that have to be dealt with. I doubt you'll ever be in the position to hash that stuff out though. When you get put on staff I see it being as admin and you'll be above all that kind of stuff.

Also good luck Annakie. My PM box is full and I can't find the delete button, so you're on your own. Sorry! Have fun though!

X-O fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 11, 2014

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Irish Joe posted:

No need to get passive aggressive, I'm not trying to backseat mod or anything. Its just that I ask myself whenever someone says how hard it is being a mod, "why would anyone take this poo poo seriously?"

Obviously other sub forums have different issues I'm sure, but I think the only way it would be hard to mod TVIV is if the mod made it hard on themselves through their behavior. TVIV by and large runs itself well with no intervention from me or OSG. I think you'll find that Annakie will be pretty much the same way as well. Like I said a while back I think a good mod is just a traffic cop that keeps the traffic moving. Not one that's running in between cars trying to cause wrecks.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aye Doc posted:

I always thought Annakie and Aatrek were the same person. Welp. Sorry I thought you banged children!

Oh dear. This is an unfortunate mix up you've made Dr. Carter.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Fun threads are fun. I welcome more fun threads. If I had fun ideas I'd make them myself.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Are you sure I said was quitting in the last thread? I read it differently.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I still don't understand what the demand is for what is essentially Batman Babies. May as well go whole hog and have all the villains living in the same orphanage and taken care of by Commissioner Gordon's disembodied pair of legs.

There was a really bad cartoon idea where they all went to high school together. So at least that bullet was dodged.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I saw a commercial for some new show on Syfy that's about angels destroying the planet. On one hand it's probably (more likely definitely) going to be absolutely terrible but on the other hand I saw Christopher Egan from Kings in the commercial and I really liked him on that show and have not seen him in anything since. So I'm torn. Pretty sure I also saw Alan Dale too which makes me go against my better judgment and consider watching at least the first episode.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

xeria posted:

I finished watching season 1 of 24 last night, and it...kind of felt boring? I didn't really care at all about what happened with Jack's wife, and everyone felt like they had exactly two emotions: :geno: and :qq:. And then Jack's third emotion, :tizzy:.

Should I bother watching more if the first season didn't really grab me?

I actually like the first season, but I think it's probably the most boring season even if it's good. A lot of times it doesn't have the ridiculousness that I love in 24. And if I were ranking the eight seasons I'd probably rank it in the bottom half, maybe with only seasons four and six below it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm gonna go ahead and agree with Irish Joe on this one.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Shageletic posted:

The article reads like an Onion article.

Well considering the site, that's pretty appropriate.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Shageletic posted:

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT ONION AV CLUB NEVER HEARD OF IT

Well you see, it's a site started by The Onion that somehow became a popular review site even though it's not very good at all. That's the joke. Everything about it is a parody that nobody gets.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

JohnSherman posted:

AV Club is generally pretty good. I think there is one writer there that I don't like reading, but the site as a whole is fine. They're quick, I usually agree with their reviews, and they can be pretty funny sometimes. What's your issue with it?

From what I've been exposed to from there it seems to just be full of blowhards that take TV way too seriously and over-analyze everything to a ridiculous degree. I understand that's how some people watch TV and I know there's a lot of people around here that do exactly the same thing, but I just personally can't get into that kind of thing. I also don't think it's the worst thing in the world, I just like to tease those that think the AVClub is the be-all end-all of TV review. There are people that think if it gets an A+ on that site that means without dispute it's one of the best episodes of TV ever created.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

hcreight posted:

It's like a 5 second cameo. And yeah, the episode itself was pretty bad, in the vein of other live action Disney and Nickelodeon shows. They're not even being subtle about the fact that the titular character and her best friend are effectively female Cory and Shawn. I don't intend to watch any more of it. But that's fine, as people have already said, it's not meant to be for us.

My cousin has told me before that she really dreads watching those Disney shows with her daughter because they are excruciating to sit through. She said the acting and writing are pretty much bottom of the barrel stuff and hit you over the head with the lessons of the story in a way that would make any adult go insane watching them. I never watched the original show but as far as I know it was still geared toward a general audience and not a strictly child audience like the Disney stuff. So that may be why all of you are not liking the new version. Remember the old show aired on broadcast TV in primetime so the new one would be trying to get completely different demographics I'm guessing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Somebody get on the Joe Torres mystery and track him down.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Josh Lyman posted:

So uh, apparently this is how Rick & Morty started?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbTlK3perdI

Well that was completely terrible and unfunny and makes me glad I don't watch this show that's based on it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bown posted:

Oh rad now R&M is the new show it's cool to not watch. What'll be next? Are we all going to start hating on B99 in September?

I know nothing about that show except that video I quoted. But yeah I'm definitely a cool kid now because I don't watch it.

Here's a little tip, just because some people don't like the show you like it doesn't mean they're trying to act cool by not watching it. Some people just have different taste and that's the end of it. This is a thread where people can talk about shows they either like or dislike in order to make recommendations or tell people to stay away from shows. If every time a couple people say they don't like a show the fans of that show start whining about people not liking the show this thread would go to poo poo in a hurry.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Irish Joe posted:

I know he doesn't get much love, but Jimmy Kimmel is the best at trolling stupid people.

Coming from you I consider that very high praise. Though I still think you've got the edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

GreenNight posted:

I'll miss your biting sarcasm.

There was not one bit of sarcasm there. Irish Joe is the best. Seriously, I think Irish Joe is awesome.

• Locked thread