Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Whoa, that's unexpected. Powers TV series officially greenlit on the Playstation network. Thought FX was developing a second pilot, guess they sat on it for too long. Exclusive to Playstation Network in the US, it sounds like - most pirated show of 2015?

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
He really isn't.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Guys, I'm posting from the future, all the way in July of 2014. Anything you want to know?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

IRQ posted:

Shark week was awesome when you were 8.

Now it's just boring as poo poo.

I really wonder if it would be, looking back at the the changes between 90s programming and today's. TV documentaries these days have to show their subject as the biggest best most shocking extreme important thing in the world, rather than just being straight-up informational nature documentaries. The history and nature ones I've gone back and revisited from that era are just so much less concerned about the "cool" factor and just feel factual and educational. They're not trying to be big Hollywood special effects extravaganzas like anything you (so rarely) see now on Discovery or History, or even PBS.

Just try watching any modern dinosaur documentary versus this, where there are actual paleontologists sitting around and explaining aspects of the lives of dinosaurs, theorizing and wondering, rather than just an hours worth of the "cool" moments of dinosaurs fighting and stealing eggs and getting hit by meteors. Not to say those moments don't happen in the linked doc too, but they have voiceover that isn't hyperbolic and is talking about their grazing habits and volume of food eaten, the way certain parts of their bodies are used for defense, etc.

I'm assuming Shark Week was similar back then.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 16, 2014

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Was just thinking about making a thread myself! Can't wait to see the 80s aesthetic in action. One page that they tweeted out might imply that the big bad is going to be Khrushchev.

So pumped.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Can you imagine how loving annoying the X-Files fanbase would be if the show were airing today?

Also, can you imagine how loving bad the X-Files writing would be if the show were airing today?

Mulder and Scully would have hooked up halfway through season 1. Or they'd play up will-they-won't-they every single episode until we just don't give a poo poo anymore.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 1, 2014

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

raditts posted:

The internet was around for a good bit of the X-Files's run, and Mulder/Scully shipping was definitely a thing before they had a name for it.

Oh I'm well aware of that, and the degree to which the internet actually influenced the show's production, but that wasn't my point. My point is that in the current era of television production and fandom, the fans would be insufferable and the show would suffer from the accelerated pace of most modern TV.

In Kumail Nanjiani's podcast rewatch of the X-Files he's going back and reading usenet posts and they're pretty much all very well-measured, intelligent discussions. Even the shipping ones were talking about the negative effects that relationship would have on the narrative, and people talking about whether there was actually sexual chemistry present between characters or not. There was nothing even closely resembling a Tumblr community back then.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 1, 2014

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Batmanuel is a million times better than Die Fledermaus. Coincidentally, I was rewatching Lost when I read this news. Richard was on screen jamming that torch into the ground.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

Is Maron any good?

I've only seen two episodes, but woof. No good. Unless you really like the first 15 minutes of his podcast that everyone skips over.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I want 2 seasons of anything with Paul Rust in my brain, stat

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hot Fuzz is the best Edgar Wright movie. Followed soon after by Scott Pilgrim.

Shaun of the Dead was a huge disappointment after watching Hot Fuzz.

I can't remember a single thing about World's End other than the bathroom scene.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Ugh, now I have to finally finish season 2 of Twin Peaks. Thanks a lot!

e: Is there any sort of "I stopped watching Twin Peaks after the Bob reveal but now want to know what that black lodge stuff is all about" catchup guide?

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 6, 2014

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

zoux posted:

Also it's looking like HBO is going to debut it's standalone service along with the new season of GoT in April.

Using the MLB platform instead of going in-house. Anyone know how good/reliable the MLB experience is?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What's the comedic equivalent of his question? Larry Sanders Show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Babylon 5 was the first web 2.0 show by that logic.

e: or X-Files.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 15, 2014

• Locked thread