Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
So, I haven't been following the Couch Chat thread closely lately (or at all) - but I'm popping in to ask a question about The Leftovers. (A quick CTRL-F on this page reveals that I may have come at a bad time...)

Anyway, I just watched the first episode, and it's weird and completely baffling... Do they start slowly digging into "hey why are these people gone" or is it just more weird teenage sex parties and people being mopey and crazy that their neighbor's cousin disappeared? When the episode ended and I saw Lindelof's name come up, I quickly decided that I needed to know if it was going to go anywhere before I continued.

Simply put, do they deal with the mythology or is it a character piece?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

That's all I needed to know. I'll skip the rest.

Also, I recently discovered this reality show Face Off about makeup special effects - it's addicting.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

hope and vaseline posted:

I haven't seen Dexter but I'd have to put True Blood up there. The actual drama portion of the show is nothing more than a setpiece to get beautiful people to gently caress, kill, have gently caress dreams, and have backwards-head hate sex. It's gloriously campy and fun but pretty much fails in every way as a drama.

For as dumb as True Blood is (and it is dumb) - the last few seasons of Dexter were exponentially worse.

I'd stake Alcatraz or Flash Forward in that race.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

After hearing what you guys have to say about the Leftovers, does anyone know how well it's doing? Especially compared to HBO's other shows?

I don't imagine I could give it another go unless they dove deep into the reasons why those people disappeared, and even then, I'm not sure I'd want to drudge through the mopey stuff. The premise is super-interesting, but the story they chose to tell in this world is not.

The only line from the episode that stuck out was, "The Pope, I can understand... But Gary Busey?" - That's the show I want to watch.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

DominoDancing posted:

It's getting around 1.5-1.7 million viewers per episode, which is quite a bit less than the "hit" shows (Game of Thrones, True Blood, True Detective) get, but a lot more than Girl, Louie, Veep or Looking get. Then again, at least Louie is dirt cheap to make, so I don't know if HBO can live with it.

Just to put things into perspective: the reaction on these forums here has been a hell of a lot worse than it's been in other places. Critical response to the show has been pretty good (especially for episode 3 and 6). As a matter of fact, there are a few people around here, including me, who enjoy the show very much. I'd just rather kill myself than venture into that thread again.

And actually I completely disagree with part of what you're saying. I think the story (or stories) they chose to tell is what makes me interested in the show.

Having only seen the first episode, the thing that bugs me is why are all these people freaking out because 2% of the population disappeared? I lived in a relatively small town when I was in high school, and if 2% of the population up and disappeared, I'm not sure I would have noticed if it wasn't someone I directly knew, but even then, people mourn and then move on.

The science/spiritual aspects are interesting, but what the gently caress, it's been three years, move on.

I don't know. The premise is interesting, but the reactions people have, and the way they act three years later, just seems completely weird and stupid. Then again, Lindelof.

That's probably the last I'll say about the show. I'm not going to watch anymore of it. Sorry for the derail.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

100,000+ people died in a Tsunami less than a decade ago. People move on.

I just don't get it. Sorry.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Finally got around to watching the Knick. Holy poo poo.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

I have a high regard for DP's opinion - he turned me onto Moonlighting (which is awesome and you should watch it). But the Leftovers is terrible, and discounting anyone's opinion in this thread (aside from Joe) is kind of silly.

If someone in TVIV says X about a show, I tend to believe them, though always with a grain of salt. Sometimes I end up agreeing, sometimes not. So what. It's just TV.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Man, the O.C. got way good after Marissa died. I had never watched this far back when it was on TV, but Ryan is written completely different, and I'm really digging it. Also, Chris Pratt showed up, and Deputy Leo as a young Sandy Cohen. This show is great.

Guess I should probably watch Southland, too, before Gotham starts...

Yogalates.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Though I intended to sit down and watch the pilot for Utopia on Fox, I accidentally acquired a UK series by the same name. I figured what the hell, I'll try it anyway.

What. The. gently caress.

Has anyone seen this show? That was some crazy poo poo. Do yourself a favor and watch this pilot, and go in knowing absolutely nothing about it, like I just did, because I don't like feeling this way alone. That poo poo was off the wall bananas. Like, some hosed up poo poo.

Please, tell me someone in this thread has seen this show, and if so, should I keep watching it?

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

Not by mistake, but I experienced the same thing as you just yesterday:

I'm looking forward to bingeing on it this weekend. I have to get myself in the right state of mind for the amount of crazy that show appears to bring.

The first 2 minutes alone sold me on the whole show, and Wilson Wilson with the chilis, etc - I literally noticed my mouth was agape at the end of that scene. Why hasn't this show been talked about more in this thread? Or has it, and I've just glossed over it?

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

So, Marvel will have shows in the same universe on ABC and Netflix... The CW has two DC shows, Fox has another, and CBS will have one. Even though the latter two don't cross over with the two CW shows... I remember that the TGIF shows all used to jump into one another, but they were all on the same station.

Has there been cross-network crossovers? (Not including Tommy Westphal or Munch stuff, but long term crossover between two shows on different networks).

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Cardboard Box A posted:

What you mean this page in Dreams in Darkness?

That was on purpose

That's quite literally the only episode of BTAS I remember, because I have dreams all the time that have words in them, and I use that as my "lucid key" to realize I'm dreaming.

Thanks, Batman!

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Jan Hooks died.

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/watch-jan-hooks-and-phil-hartman-in-the-weird-gorgeous-1644570315/

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

SHIELD is one of two shows so far this season that I look forward to watching all week and make time for on their broadcast evenings. (The other being B99). It's genuinely good, and I think it's getting even better each week.

I believe they've found their stride.

That being said, if you're going to get into it, tough out the whole first season, the setups are worth it, despite how dull it can seem.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

I'm grateful that Utopia (Fox) existed, because it helped me discover Utopia (from that island) which is amazing.

Thanks, Fox!

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Finally got around to watching the final season of 30 Rock.

It was great.

Why were the final few episodes shot almost entirely with green screens? It was super noticeable.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Metropolis posted:

I'm not sure but I think at the time a lot of the cast was all over the place shooting different movies and stuff.

Thanks for replying. I figured it was something like that, but when I went googling, I couldn't find anything for sure. drat, Baldwin aged a decade in that last season.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Are we doing a Best of 2014 thread for voting this year?

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

We watched the Ascension first episode and it was not good. The most glaring issue is where are all of the old people? The original crew? Why is everyone under 40? It's jarring.

Not going to watch the rest of it.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Ravane posted:

Just because your parents didn't give you rules and boundaries, doesn't mean the rest of us didn't abide by certain rules. I am no mongrel, willfully submitting to my more sensual desires. That's how my mother raised me and how her mother raised her, guess yours didn't do the job well.

"Yo Momma" would have sufficed.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

For those of you jumping on Fargo for the first time, you might also try the UK series Utopia. It is phenomenal.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

And it is totally worth a watch, as the Fincher version will deviate heavily from the source material.

Don't wait. Pause Fargo and find a way to acquire Utopia.*

*Legally, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

HBO hasn't shied away from terrorism, rape, gory violence, incest, etc. I don't think "that scene" would get removed as much as it would be more likely only alluded to or hinted at.

But yeah, it's a non-issue as his version likely won't go there anyway. They're going to be drastically different, by all accounts, it seems.

• Locked thread