Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So I've been addicted lately to the How Did This Get Made podcast, which is Andre and Rafi from The League plus Andre's IRL wife and great guest stars. It's amazing, Jason Mantzoukas is apparently pretty much in-Rafi-mode 24/7.

e: my go to "trashy reality show" on Netflix is My Strange Addiction. The episode with the guy who fucks his car :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fooz posted:

I'm watching rectify. Its good so far.

Fuckin' teddy though.

One of the best parts of the show is Ted Jr. You start out hating him so much, but gradually you see him as flawed but still sympathetic and conflicted.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I loved Lost at the time and liked the finale just fine.

I also have never really had any desire to talk about it after it was over. "It's done."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"It's like trying to explain Supertramp to a Komodo dragon."
"I don't know what any of those words mean!"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
They named the third XBox the XBox 1.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I'll actually make a thread for Rectify season 2 here in a day or two. A lot of people in the CD Netflix thread got into the show so hopefully more people will watch it this year.

e: Oh yeah there's a trailer. Probably don't watch unless you watched season 1 though:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/05/22/rectify-season-2-trailer/

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The only thing I'm kind of torn on with Rectify season 2 is bringing back a certain character, considering he had the most perfect exit imaginable in season 1.

I'm of course referring to the black fellow death row inmate in the flashbacks in season 1. On the one hand more of those is awesome, on the other hand it cheapens what felt like a complete arc and I'm not really sure the flashbacks needed to continue into season 2 at all.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I still don't understand what the demand is for what is essentially Batman Babies. May as well go whole hog and have all the villains living in the same orphanage and taken care of by Commissioner Gordon's disembodied pair of legs.

Yeah I really don't get it either, but I'm willing to give it a shot because Donal Logue. I'm pretty skeptical about Babby Bruce and Catgirl.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I honestly like some of those designs (the Joker and Harley are great).

Half of them, I can't even tell who they're supposed to be. Like, which one is Catwoman? The goth girl? :confused:

e: ahaha, just "got" The Scarecrow, that's great. The Riddler is perfect too.

poo poo, I think I want this show now. :colbert:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

So yeah it really sucks how AMC is a huge disappointment now.

What happened? Did they not renew Turn? :(

e: and Halt and Catch Fire is really good. Seriously what happened, Google's showing me nothing

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

So, anybody watching, ahem, Big Smo?

I have never heard of this person until I just now Google'd him.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

muscles like this? posted:

He's a "hick hop" singer. So, you know, gently caress him.

Wait, is that a real thing now, because Wammo/Asylum Street Spankers made fun of the concept 8 years ago and I refuse to believe people are doing it seriously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhJx1gpl0kM

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

I think both those shows are dull.

I think your face is dull. t:mad:t

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Blue Mountain State is pretty great. It's on Netflix. It's basically Friday Night Lights: raunchy/smart sitcom edition. Anyone who skipped it like I did because it looked like a dumb jock "Football is awesome" comedy should give it a shot.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

hcreight posted:

Don't worry, they will continue to make terrible cars whether they get show sponsorship or not.

If Nissan is your idea of a "terrible" car I can only assume you have never driven anything made by Chevrolet after 1980. Or Ford.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Irish Joe posted:

Look, if this guy is more entertained by a Cheerios commercial because it has a bunch of gays on it than, say, Game of Thrones for being an exciting, well written and expertly produced drama, more power to him. His tastes might be the equivalent of a baby fascinated by shiny objects, but by god, they're his tastes. And nothing you, I, or anyone says will change that.

I just want to frame this post and put it at the top of the forum forever.

:golfclap:

e: oh, and thread for Rectify 2: Rectify THIS

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3643961

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

Nevertheless, people think that what they see on TV is what real life is, and showing gay couples just being around and normal and unremarkable is a step towards normalizing gay couples in society so while it there are sinister capitalist motives behind it, it is a net benefit to society.

Precisely this.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
For better or worse, the (seemingly very spoilery) preview for season 2 looks like things are going to get pretty crazy and not be very slow at all. Of course, it could be typical network misleading promo #1,009,238. At least there are 10 episodes instead of 6 this year so we should get quite a bit more progression in the overall story as well.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

RE: shows with time jumps, keep your dicks in your pants for GoT. It was supposed to have a time skip, but then didn't, and went totally to poo poo, literal poo poo, like the actual real meaning of literal. We'll see if the show follows.

Laugh out loud at anyone who thinks HBO would let their biggest moneymaker become hot garbage out of the artistic integrity of staying true to the source material. They can and will rewrite giant swaths of the story to prevent it from becoming terrible, because show watchers outnumber book readers like the Wildlings outnumber the Night's Watch.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

muscles like this? posted:

They've already rewritten big chunks and said they don't have any problems killing other bits. The producers mentioned they might nix the entire "Lady Stoneheart" character completely.

That character is the only thing I've been spoiled about (that hasn't already happened) and I have to say, just from the very little I know, it sounds loving retarded.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

-Blackadder- posted:

Forgot to mention I'm also considering checking out Halt & Catch Fire, Silicon Valley, and Turn. How are those?

1. Great pilot, not so great followup, still eminently watchable if you're into the subject matter

2. Funny stuff, nothing amazing

3. Started out rather uneven, but nice period piece and by the end of the season was really pretty goddamn awesome

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

itshappening.gif

This is amazing

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Yoshifan823 posted:

Also, it's really worth it because despite the reality show's general nature, there have been a bunch of great comics to come out of LCS: Todd Glass, Doug Benson, Amy Schumer, Josh Blue, and in the previous season Myq Kaplan, Mike DeStefano (rip), James Adomian and Tommy Johnagin all competed. Guy Braunam was apparently auditioning, but they didn't take him, which is weird because A: He's famous-ish and B: He's funny.

I had no clue Amy Schumer and Doug Benson started on LCS. I only watched the first two seasons, and then the one with Josh Blue, who is not, in fact, funny at all. I don't think he is anyway.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Rectify is a really good show you guys.

Last night's season 2 premiere made me think very good things are coming and season 1 wasn't just a fluke. Ray McKinnon is a hell of a writer.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I am getting so sick of these star wars!!!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hey guys, Wilfred season 3 just got added to Netflix. If you haven't watched the show, what's wrong with you? It's Elijah Wood getting stoned with an Australian man in a dog suit and a David Lynch level exploration of philosophy at the same time. Get on it, jerks.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
True Blood has been consistently entertaining for its entire run so far. I haven't watched this season's premiere yet but it seems kind of silly to me to say it was ever good and that it "went to poo poo". If anything, the more campy and ridiculous it got, the better, imo. Someone really ought to make a thread.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cardboard Box A posted:

So tonight's episode of NBC's "Taxi Brooklyn" looks and sounds and feels like one of those fake NBC parody shows from the Community Finale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13HbQbTM1F0

I have no idea what this is, but it's amazing

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
OK, well I had to look up Taxi Brooklyn and it's based on Luc Besson's excellent film Taxi, and the series was made and has been airing in France (getting great ratings) so... I think it probably actually will be in fact awesome.

Why a French series was made in English and with American actors, I dunno.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Eezee posted:

It's probably important to know wether it's based on the 2004 version or the 1998 version of that movie. The trailer looks terrible though, so I'm not too keen on actually finding out for myself.

Also I thought it was Blood Splatter until now.

Luc Besson didn't make the one with Queen Latifah so I'm going to say the 1998 version.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
at the risk of sounding like a broken record Northern Exposure and Rectify have totally awesome openings.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I have never to my knowledge watched even one second of this "Boy Meets World" thing and I have no idea what y'all are on about.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Irish Joe posted:

Yahoo owns Flicker and Tumbler.

How do Flickr and Tumblr make money?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sober posted:

I'm sure the regular viewing public would've been confused as to why there were white people in Egypt, because apparently no one seems to understand how Egyptian history works and think it's all pharaohs and pyramids up until 1960.

Indiana Jones.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GreenNight posted:

Well, Jesus was white, right? And he saved all those Jews from big bad Eqypt.

I have it on good authority that Jesus was Batman, actually.

Wait, no, that was Bruce Wayne. Sorry.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cael posted:

I have SuperMechaGodzilla on ignore

Why would anyone ever do this, he's one of the only actually interesting posters on the entire forum.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wandle Cax posted:

most of CD is insufferable

Let's just trim that post down to brass tacks

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
American Gods may be Gaiman's weakest novel but the show should be fun enough to watch. And at least the novel's existence got us to Anansi Boys, which is just a fun read.

e: to be clear, I love Neil Gaiman, but I tried to re-read AG one time and I was like "ehhhhhh" and I am a crazy person who has re-read Stephenson's Baroque Cycle twice

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

Why do people bold the titles of stuff.

For people who skim threads. It's a minor convenience and I never understood why people get mad about it. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Reading Good Omens is funny because you can almost perfectly tell which characters are Gaiman's and which are Pratchett's because Pratchett's characters have a sense of humor and nuance to them while Gaiman's horsemen are all super cool and badass and evil and totally boring.

I'd say Crowley and Anathema show evidence of being both at the same time. Those are the two whose storylines seem so obviously mixed between both writers more or less equally.

• Locked thread