Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There's no real place for me to gripe about this, but it's really bugging me that BT Sports are saying 'HD 1080' in all their ads, blatantly to trick people into thinking it's 'Full HD' when it's actually the same interlaced signal everyone has been using for a decade. Assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I didn't read about the Clone High news until earlier, so psyched if something happens. Such a great show, brilliant theme song and they had The Get Up Kids in the soundtrack too? God please come back and resolve that cliffhanger!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

precision posted:

Blue Mountain State is pretty great. It's on Netflix. It's basically Friday Night Lights: raunchy/smart sitcom edition. Anyone who skipped it like I did because it looked like a dumb jock "Football is awesome" comedy should give it a shot.

It's super fun and it's hilarious that they don't have the budget to even show them doing anything football related other than some basic training.

Also I laugh every time the name Romanski appears on the screen. And Thad is one of the best comic characters ever. A good show.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Combination of there being lots of really good shows spread across lots of different mediums, and broadcasters refusing to get into the 21st century and learning nothing from the near death of the music industry.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Watched the first episode of Girl Meets World and it's... something. It's probably just like other Disney shows I've not seen, but the opening sequence is especially nuts. Also makes me feel super old.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DivisionPost posted:

The fact that you're not saying "Oh God why did I do this it hurts so much" is interesting.

I think I refrained from that because I know that it's not aimed at me in the slightest, and might be loved by it's audience. I can see they want kids and parents to watch it together, as there's a pretty big reference at the end of the episode that kids won't get at all. I can't imagine many parents will enjoy watching it though.

While Boy Meets World aired over here, it was on a station that I couldn't pick up so I didn't see huge amounts. My memory of the show has it feeling very different to the new one though, but naturally all kids shows have moved on.

I kind of felt like I was in a fever dream for most of it. The dialogue is just super weird to me as an adult, but I don't watch any kids shows that a lot of posters here are I to.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

muscles like this? posted:

Also the Lucas Brothers are in it and I was only aware of them from their cartoon so I did not realize that yes, they actually look like that in real life.

They also have a show that lasts a few minutes per episode up on CC.com. That's awesome they're in 22JS, the Lucas Brothers rule.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I am excited to see if the TV show 'Mulaney' is able to turn around the generally accepted (and correct) motion that multicam sitcoms in the 2010s is garbage TV.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

VorpalBunny posted:

Nope, it doesn't. Mulaney was a whiny, unlikable jerk on his own show and Martin Short was just too much. It may get better over time, but it's basically Whitney for dudes.

We watched the pilots for Mulaney and Marry Me, because we love everyone involved, and they were both rather painful. Penny from Happy Endings was great when she was balanced with everyone else's crazy. A half hour of crazy Penny solo was just too much.

That's a real shame, as those are my 'these two shows have people I really like in them, but I'm worried...'

Was Mulaney essentially a love letter to Seinfeld? That's the only reason I can imagine him making a MC sitcom in 2014. Either that or someone told him he's more likely to get viewers that way, and make decent money after a few renewals.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lugaloco posted:

So I just powered through all of Broad City last night after reading a finale review of Playing House.

Holy poo poo is Broad City a funny show. I didn't know any of the actors (apart from some guest stars) but they sold me from the second episode onwards. The dynamic between the two leads was excellent and the supporting cast was rock solid, can't recommend it enough. Hope they get a second season.

It's great, I was hooked from the moment I saw it. I went to NYC last year, and it captures the feel of the place better than virtually any other show set there.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yoshifan823 posted:

Is anyone watching this year's Last Comic Standing? There aren't any recognizable names in the contestants, but the judges are Russell Peters, Roseanne Barr and Keenan Ivory Wayans, which is probably the best set of judges the show has ever had.

Also, it's really worth it because despite the reality show's general nature,

Yeah it's that last sentence that's the problem. I remember watching earlier seasons and just giving up when it got beyond the auditions and on to the ridiculous ways of deciding who stays and who goes.

As ever, I'll give it another try though. I'm a sucker for something to watch in the Summer.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mu Zeta posted:

I keep seeing the Legend of Korra thread bumping up to the top. What do people talk about in there? I don't want to check. I think anime discussion should go to that tentacle rape forum.

Should move that and the Toonami/Adult Swim thread there, so we can have a thread for the non garbage stuff they air without wading through thousands of those posts.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yoshifan823 posted:

Is anyone watching this year's Last Comic Standing? There aren't any recognizable names in the contestants, but the judges are Russell Peters, Roseanne Barr and Keenan Ivory Wayans, which is probably the best set of judges the show has ever had.

During the down time I decided to give the double length premiere a shot.... eh, I dunno.

First off it felt like I was watching halfway through the season because they skipped auditions and went straight to putting people in front of an audience with no real explanation of what would happen. Seemed they think that inviting people they wanted to be on the show was better than letting us watch as they 'discover' talent instead, which doesn't work for me at all.

Then the judges, urgh. Russell Peters I've heard of but didn't know much of and reading the comments on iMDB (I know...) means I have little desire to know further, Keenan has great stuff in his past but a ton of poo poo too, and bloody Roseanne who cackles her way through the thing and the one time a comic shows a bit of difference decides to be a complete dick to him (he's admittedly a joking dick back to her) and then ensures his appearance is cut up to make it look like he's not funny, when it's obvious he had a good set.

Given that in years past we had ANDY KINDLER, no the judges are not even remotely close to being the best. They're not even good, not one of them said anything interesting in the space of an hour. Also one of the contestants who was invited on started his background piece with "Ive been doing this for 25 years...", which when based on his industry friends list is enough to say "Hey, I'm not good enough because I've been overlooked for over 2 decades". The funniest person in the first batch (big gay dude with the pink sweater) was overlooked.

Mainstream comedy I know, but it's dropped too much of what made it an enjoyable watch to begin with.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jun 26, 2014

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DivisionPost posted:

Even in the case of Yale -- which is a little hosed up -- Topanga took "I choose to stay with my man" one step further and proposed to Cory on the day of their high school graduation. If nothing else, it feels less "he's dependent on her and drags her down because she's afraid to hurt him" and more "they're dependent on each other." But remember, Wikipedia.

The reboot so should've been a Topanga who blames Corey for how rotten her life has become, and deciding to take vengeance against him. Probably not on Disney.

Lycus posted:

So does Occupation have to watch Season 4 of LMS live?

Am I the only person who doesn't see the ongoing hilarity of 'man watches bad TV show'?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

FilthyImp posted:

I just read that Surviving Jack was shitcanned. Did they really not do anything good with that? You'd think they'd get poo poo My Dad Says right the second time.

It's a shame, because Meloni was so good in it that it didn't matter that the show was essentially just another throwback show with some plot lines that didn't really make the most sense. It was a good laugh I thought.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Fox ADHD was so embarassing because they were this close. The idea of giving a bunch of young people an animation studio and letting them go hog wild was a surprisingly ballsy move, the problem is that instead of pulling established talent from the internet they gave it to a bunch of shithead art school grads who couldn't do anything but parrot internet memes and mindlessly copy internet trends in the least interesting way possible. It could have been Cartoon Hangover With A Budget And Less Tumblr, instead it was tepid Oatmeal/Cracked.com "oh man you guys remember the 90s?! :buddy:" non-humor.

I really liked High School USA, Lucas Bros and Golan. I agree with others that Axe Cop was a fun blast a few times but it didn't grab me enough to keep watching. I'd be happy if the other 3 got relocated to Adult Swim though, Lucas Bros *definitely* need to get something permanent on the air.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

PantsBandit posted:

I've been catching up with Workaholics. Just watched the episode where they massacre a bunch of rats. I found it to be in really bad taste and not particularly funny. I know it's all special effects but it's really disappointing that a show I generally find to be pretty clever would dedicate a huge chunk of an episode to smashing animals with bats.

Well let's be honest, it's not a particularly smart show. They've ramped up the gross out humour this year because they needed a new angle because it was getting in a bit of a rut. Thought it was stupid, silly fun personally. The bit with the fish was as bad if not worse.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I can't be the only one confused over the following Emmy categorisations:

Outstanding Miniseries
“Fargo” (FX)

Outstanding Drama Series
“True Detective” (HBO)

Is it simply down to which category the producers nominated them in? Because I can't think of any real difference between those two shows, category wise.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Josh Lyman posted:

New Girl scored a 1.3 and Mindy Project scored a 1.0. Any chance of Fox cancelling this year?

I kinda put a hold on Mindy after the Xmas episode in the 1st season where they made Josh a bad guy and it just sat badly, was too many other shows I was watching anyway etc. I blasted through it over the summer to catch up, and I'm quite enjoying it now. Think between the pair of those shows, I prefer Mindy even if it's only because they use their Happy Endings alum better than New Girl does. Also Mac from Always Sunny was great in the premiere episode this season.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Gilmore Girls is wonderful, and now I'm feeling annoyed that Bunheads was taken away from us so soon. Goddamnit.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Richard and Emily are the best, and they still turn up in almost every episode. The show was never about Rory to me, it's all Lorelei. Rory's just there as a plot device to keep the words per minute ratio up in conversation and provide a reason for the grandparents to be involved so much.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm not a golfer, but isn't the 9 Iron the club you start the round with (i.e. the one capable of the longest shot)? It sounds like a pretty good answer if was actually a golf question (which it doesn't seem to be).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Aphrodite posted:

However only like one good show has ever had John Cho.

I'll bite...

(Including guest appearances)

Sleepy Hollow (I don't watch it but people seem to enjoy it)
American Dad
Go On
NTSF:SD:SUV::
30 Rock
Childrens Hospital
How I Met Your Mother (in 2007, so it counts)
Kitchen Confidential
House (again not for me, but popular)
Daddio (only ever watched one episode and it had Mackie from The Shield playing drums in his backyard to annoy his neighbour in an awful looking multi camera sitcom. it counts.)

There's more, but I have no idea if in 2014 'Charmed' is considered a 'good show' or not.

Not actually too bad a list! I'm guessing you meant Go On though? Go On was fun, it died too early by far.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I can't even remember him being in the show to be honest.

I remember Kumar though, and yes... they were bad.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mu Zeta posted:

Kitchen Confidential was a funny show. Bradley Cooper looks nothing like Anthony Bourdain though.

But at the same time you know Bourdain would've been absolutely delighted with that casting (even though at that point I'm guessing nobody knew who Bradley Cooper was yeah?).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah I only ever watched a few episodes of Alias. It seemed one of those shows where if you missed an episode you wouldn't be sure who was on which side anymore, based on how it started. Seemed fun enough though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm quite glad that I've got most of YTW saved up to watch, because the new sitcoms this year seem mainly whack. I'm hoping for the best out of Marry Me but it didn't have the best reception to the pilot. All hope for Mulaney is now out the window, Sepinwall has said the 5 episodes they've been screened were pretty much all rubbish and goes nowhere. It's a goddamned shame because Mulaney is a really funny dude, and I had hope that he could make the MC format work but no. Frustrating.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yoshifan823 posted:

I do not care what any of you people think, Modern Family is still one of the most well written shows on TV.

edit: The Dunphy parts, anyways. The other two thirds are still very good, but I'd watch hours upon hours of Phil, Hailey and Luke doing everything together.

Yeah I've been saying it should be The Dunphy Show with special guest stars for the last few years. They really run dry on storylines for the other two families at times, the only time I really care about what's going on outside the Dunphies is when they're all off doing something, like a vacation.

I don't agree with all the emmy nods it gets, it's probably the best mainstream sitcom but I wouldn't say all out best. Not enough to keep winning though. Ty Burrell deserves a nomination every year though, he's just brilliant.

e: I like Black-ish too, although I've only seen the first episode.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Can't give you Netflix specifics, but s1 and 2 I've only ever seen in 4:3 SD, 3 onwards are in 16:9 HD (with the 4:3 intro which is quite common when you get shows not really intended for HD broadcast originally). The show is shot for 4:3 but it looks good in HD in my opinion.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Kinda explains why I've not seen the earliest seasons get the treatment before, I guess they just didn't have all the sources. Still, neat that some of the earliest episodes are in a higher resolution at least.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thank God that Marry Me was good (didn't the dude who gets to see all the pilots back in May say he didn't think much of it? Maybe just a taste thing, but I'm so glad it worked out. Agree with the consensus that Mulaney is an awesomely talented dude but Mulaney the show is just... I'll look forward to reading about him talking about what happened in the future).

I'm gonna watch that CW show 'Jane the Virgin' too, but has there been any new comedies that haven't sucked balls? Last years was great in comparison even if there was some utter dreck. Trophy Wife (RIP), Goldbergs, Brooklyn 99 and Mindy Project did a turnaround and became really good too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

precision posted:

Mulaney is a funny guy but that show is fascinatingly bad, not to mention the "this is literally Seinfeld" angle.

I've been trying to work out where it goes wrong, but I think it's simply down to the fact that 2014 isn't the right time for a love letter to Seinfeld. I think in 10 years time, multi cam will have hopefully died out (there have been zero *quality* MC shows in maybe 10 years now? The format is dead, even if there's a few successful shows still using it. It's sad but lets move on) and then you can make your meta format show aping a meta show about nothing. But now it's just too easy to lump it in with every forgotten show since Seinfeld ran, rather than seeing it as a smart show. Which sadly it isn't either, somehow. Didn't it get changed a fair chunk between moving networks after it wasn't picked up originally? I can see that. This doesn't feel like a show Mulaney should have his name attached to. He's definitely better than it. I mean, Seinfeld wasn't hot for a while but that's not going to happen here, it's just going to be cancelled.

Oh and to the people who criticised his acting, his interview with PFT he stated "I've only ever been cast for 2 things ever - my show and my best friends show". He's better at playing characters than straight guys to be honest, even if he in theory should be a great straight guy.

I hope he learns and comes back with something better, on cable. He feels like a dude who should be on cable, not forced under the networks hand all the time.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Deadpool posted:

Black-ish is great.

My bad, Black-ish is really, really good. I can't believe I forgot about it. It's fascinating to watch because you have to inherently compare it to Cosby, then Fresh Prince because you only really have one mainstream, black family sitcom running at any one time. It's a perfect way to contrast and compare as to how TV has changed across 4 decades. And it's funny too!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Irish Joe posted:

Unless you didn't completely ignore decades of UPN and early CW programming. In which case, Black-ish is just unfunny and pandering.

Not so much ignoring, just the fact that Cosby and Fresh Prince were both really big shows over here too. I don't think that Black-ish will reach those heights, but I've not seen a comparable show on ABC/CBS/FOX/NBC in the last 10 years ago. The internet not being the high speed awesomeness that it is now back then, I'm not sure what shows you're actually referring to as it wasn't so easy to know what was going on across the Atlantic then. I get the feeling most ended up here were the ones on our cable channels (like Trouble), not our network ones and not as big stateside either based on modern CW ratings anyway. Genuinely don't know, my TV history is patchy I can only really go by what I know was on my TV back then.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

I just watched the pilot of Gilmore Girls and liked it a lot. Looking forward to seeing how Rory and Lorelei's relationship develops. I imagine that'll be the most interesting part since the driving conflict of the first episode was "does Rory go to a presumably swanky prep school or not."

I hope Jared Padalecki (did I spell that right?) isn't as underwhelming in this as he often is in Supernatural.

Yeah it's pretty much all about Lorelei/Rory, with the grandparents being the biggest external influence.

Jared is a big part of the early seasons, less so as it goes on. If you're a TV nerd you'll love some of the actors who come and go over the next 7 years.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

smg77 posted:

Does the opposite ever happen where they take American shows and create horrible British versions of them?

Kinda related - the BBC show Coupling is essentially a British version of Friends mixed with Seinfeld. It did a pretty decent job of it and had it's own style and is still pretty drat funny on rewatch 10+ years later. It's on Hulu if you fancy giving a shot, 'The Girl With Two Breasts' is a particularly excellent example as you see the same ~5 minute long scene from 2 perspectives, with the main character speaking English in the first with the love interest in Israeli (from memory), then switches them around for the rerun so you can see what she was saying and interpreting him. Clever and funny.

It was then remade by NBC (I believe), who completely hosed up the characters personalities and sunk without trace.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

I didn't expect to see The Millers on the cancellation pile so soon, but I also didn't expect to see it in the renewal pile last season. Also how it got axed ahead of The McCarthys is puzzling.

I saw two episodes of The Millers last year and it was appalling, I've seen one episode of The McCarthy's and it was just good old fashioned 'pretty meh'. Couldn't believe Millers got renewed either, but it definitely belongs on the cancellation pile.

Which Marry Me should be nowhere near, but lol looks like we're in that boat already. Sigh.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, TV By The Numbers thinks the outlook is quite grim for it. Which blows as it's a pretty fun show, and I'd watch it even if it wasn't that good because Ken Marino and Casey Wilson are just great opposite each other. And also Gemberling, who's just always great.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The sub plot involves the lead female character being away, and one of the guys accidentally spilling a dark alcoholic drink over one of her possessions that he shouldn't be around, so his friends scramble to rectify the situation without her finding out. Am I talking about last nights New Girl, or last nights Mindy Project?

Both! Ouch, maybe best not to run two episodes with the same plot line next to each other.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does Faking It pick up after the first episode or is it pretty constant? I remember not hating it but it getting on my nerves a little. Not adverse to trying a few more episodes though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Everyone except the advertising industry has known Nielson are dumb idiots for years, this is just them gently reminding us.

• Locked thread