Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, that's due to the list being made in 2009 and AV really loving long careers. Brady will probably finish doubling Cunningham's career AV over the next two seasons.

You'll also note that by career AV Drew Bledsoe was better then Steve Young or Joe Montana.

For another example, Aaron Rodgers is about equal to Vinny Testaverde.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
As for the real #30 that should be obvious

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

No, Yes.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fenrir posted:

No, Yes.

Yes, Yes. They're both Hall of Famers.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Eifert Posting posted:

Yes, Yes. They're both Hall of Famers.

So is Dan Fouts and is the superior #14

And Ken Anderson is not in the hall of fame

a neat cape fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 9, 2014

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

So is Dan Fouts and is the superior #14

So is Don Hutson, the more superior #14.

Also, not only is Ken Anderson not in the HoF, he wasn't even the best Bengals QB of his era. If I had to pick one to put into the HoF, it would be Boomer.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 9, 2014

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Is it between Willie Roaf and Red Grange for 77? Am I forgetting someone awesome who is playing/recently retired?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Not the best, but the People's Champion #72 is clearly

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Grittybeard posted:

Is it between Willie Roaf and Red Grange for 77? Am I forgetting someone awesome who is playing/recently retired?

Those are the only noteworthy ones I can come up with, but damned if I can pick one.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

R.D. Mangles posted:

Not the best, but the People's Champion #72 is clearly

They should have put bigger numbers on him

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sash! posted:

They should have put bigger numbers on him

The Fridge is on the small side for current NFL DTs.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fenrir posted:

Also, not only is Ken Anderson not in the HoF, he wasn't even the best Bengals QB of his era. If I had to pick one to put into the HoF, it would be Boomer.

Hhhmmm... Yes I suppose your opinion is useless.

More yards than Bradshaw, Griese and Namath.
More TDs than Aikman, Starr and Staubach.
More QB rating titles than Montana and Marino combined.
The first QB to effectively play the WCO.

If Anderson played for an NFC:E team he would have been a first ballot HOFer. He's only overlooked because the Bengals never won a title.

Bigger than Geno Atkins by a full inch.
VVVV

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 9, 2014

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Fridge is literally too small to play DT in the modern NFL.

No he isn't. He played at 6'2" and 300+. He may have been 20 pounds lighter than Wilfork (6'2" 325) or Raji (6'1" 333) at his leanest, and later on he was bigger. Like, just as heavy as those guys, maybe heavier.

And those are 3-4 NTs. 4-3 DTs are not necessarily as big.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 9, 2014

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

If Anderson played for an NFC:E team he would have been a first ballot HOFer. He's only overlooked because the Bengals never won a title.

Oh please. Fouts played for the Chargers in the same Era, never even got to a Superbowl, and was a first ballot hall of famer. Playing for the Bengals had nothing to do with it. He just wasn't good enough to be a first ballot guy or any further ballot guy

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Demarcus Ware

Charles Haley.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 9, 2014

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Coldforge posted:

Charles Haley.

I was just going by active players, but yeah this

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Eifert Posting posted:

Hhhmmm... Yes I suppose your opinion is useless.

More yards than Bradshaw, Griese and Namath.
More TDs than Aikman, Starr and Staubach.
More QB rating titles than Montana and Marino combined.
The first QB to effectively play the WCO.

Bigger than Geno Atkins by a full inch.
VVVV

More yards than older QBs from an older era means nothing.
More TDs than Aikman means nothing because Aikman never had more than 25 in a season. He had an all-world RB.
Starr and Staubach (Starr in particular) played in a different era.
QB rating titles don't mean poo poo.
The first QB to effectively play the WCO? Okay, but Montana and Fouts did it better.

If Anderson was as good as Fouts or Montana he'd have gotten HoF consideration. He wasn't. Also, Boomer was better.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Anderson got plenty of consideration, he just never made it. I do agree that if he got a ring he'd probably be in, wasn't he really close a few times?

I'm in the camp that thinks he should probably be in, but I'm generally a big hall guy.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Really it doesn't matter, because the best #14 is Y.A. Tittle.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 9, 2014

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Coldforge posted:

Really it doesn't matter, because the best #14 is Y.A. Tittle.

Wrong.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

SlipUp fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 9, 2014

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I looked up #88 since the only HoFer I could think of was Irvin, but a whole bunch of people have worn it.

But there is only one Tony Gonzales

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Doesn't count, he wore #60 for most of career, was only 14 for three years :colbert:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Febreeze posted:

I looked up #88 since the only HoFer I could think of was Irvin, but a whole bunch of people have worn it.

But there is only one Tony Gonzales

I'll beat NFC South fans to the joke about the two greatest guys at pushing off of all time.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Coldforge posted:

Doesn't count, he wore #60 for most of career, was only 14 for three years :colbert:

14 was the one the Packers retired :colbert:

I'm with you on Ogden being the best 75 but I don't think that's going to be the popular opinion.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Deacon Jones was a 75.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Fenrir posted:

14 was the one the Packers retired :colbert:

Oh never mind, I thought that was Otto Graham you posted. In that case, I have no idea who that is, but I'm sure you're just straight up delusional.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Coldforge posted:

Oh never mind, I thought that was Otto Graham you posted. In that case, I have no idea who that is, but I'm sure you're just straight up delusional.

99 receiving TDs in the 30s/40s. A record that wasn't broken until Largent 40 years later. 1211 yards and 17 TDs, numbers that are comparable to any top 10 WR of TODAY, in loving 1942. That was in an eleven game season. In other words, he averaged 110 yards and 1.5 TDs a game, in 1942, an era where defenders could practically tackle the WR at the line and grab them at any point in the route. You are delusional.

110 yards and 1.5 TDs in the modern 16 game schedule would now amount to 1760 yards and 24 TDs. Who has done THAT, even with the new rules that protect WRs even more than they did in only 2001? Answer: No one. A few have come close, but seriously. Even Jerry Rice and Randy Moss have never hit 24 TDs and 1760 yards would be in the top 5 of single season yards by any WR. e: It would be 3rd behind 2012 Megatron, 1995 Jerry and 1995 Isaac Bruce.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 9, 2014

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just wish Chad had a few more years at peak production so I could push for him, but he fell off way too young.

It's weird, cause he was never a huge speed guy. You'd think running killer routes and getting his feet down no matter what would have led to a longer career. Makes me really appreciate Hugh Jackson seeing how badly Chad struggled to learn offenses later in his career.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 9, 2014

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Coldforge posted:

Just some JAG that nfl.com lists as the 9th best player of all time (and 2nd best wideout after Jerry Rice)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Sammy Baugh is a pretty obvious pick for 33

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Fenrir posted:

99 receiving TDs in the 30s/40s. A record that wasn't broken until Largent 40 years later. 1211 yards and 17 TDs, numbers that are comparable to any top 10 WR of TODAY, in loving 1942. That was in an eleven game season. In those days defenders could practically tackle the WR at the line and grab them at any point in the route. You are delusional.

They're all HoFers with impressive careers. Tittle was a five time league MVP, first QB with back to back 30 TD seasons, threw 7 TDs in one game, set the single season TD record in '63. And he has a better football name :colbert:

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Rasczak posted:

Just some JAG that nfl.com lists as the 9th best player of all time (and 2nd best wideout after Jerry Rice)

So amazing that no one can speak his name (yeah, I get that it's Hutson. And sure, maybe he's pretty good. For a Packer.).

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

I think there's been some confusion on #4 so to clarify here's your winner:

:colbert:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Fridge is on the small side for current NFL DTs.

Did they change the rules for the number size, because they don't look as comically small as they did on the huge guys back then.

I remember seeing Levon Kirkland around 97-98 and thinking "there can't possibly be a bigger human."

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Coldforge posted:

They're all HoFers with impressive careers. Tittle was a five time league MVP, first QB with back to back 30 TD seasons, threw 7 TDs in one game, set the single season TD record in '63. And he has a better football name :colbert:

Tittle wasn't anywhere near as far above and beyond his contemporaries as Hutson. He played in the company of better QBs. Hutson was the best WR of his era by a long loving shot and made a record that wasn't broken for 40 years. Sorry but no. Tittle owns, but he's not the best 14.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Fenrir posted:

Tittle wasn't anywhere near as far above and beyond his contemporaries as Hutson. He played in the company of better QBs. Hutson was the best WR of his era by a long loving shot and made a record that wasn't broken for 40 years. Sorry but no. Tittle owns, but he's not the best 14.

You win this battle. Sorry Tittle :(

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Fenrir posted:

Jared Allen has 69. I don't know if he'll make the Hall but he's a great player.

I can't think of anyone good who's worn 43 except Polamalu.

The best 97 I know of is Cullen Jenkins with the Packers and that's nowhere near HoF territory. Same with 90, we've got what, Suh? Only one I can think of. e: And Peppers on the Bears. Did he wear 90 with the Panthers? I honestly can't remember, and he's wearing 56 with the Packers.

The only 94 that even comes to mind at all is Justin Smith of the 49ers.

Also the HoF link is helpful but not definitive, since I'd put Drew Brees above all the HoF 9's and Brady above all the HoF 12's.

e: VVV If he makes the hall I drat sure won't complain. Jared Allen owns.

97 would be Bob Lilly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Fenrir posted:

Hutson racked up stats against a bunch of literally crippled players.

We might as well give it to Tittle and count the numbers he put up dominating his local rec league. :colbert:

• Locked thread