Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Coldforge posted:

So amazing that no one can speak his name (yeah, I get that it's Hutson. And sure, maybe he's pretty good. For a Packer.).

Ahem. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

A good NY Jets team? :psyduck:

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Good point, let's not forget his 30 INTs.

Rasczak posted:

97 would be Bob Lilly

I gotta agree with this.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sash! posted:

Did they change the rules for the number size, because they don't look as comically small as they did on the huge guys back then.

I remember seeing Levon Kirkland around 97-98 and thinking "there can't possibly be a bigger human."

Biggest looking dudes I remember, look at tiny little Warren Sapp. And looking at their size they hold up pretty well (listed at 365 and 340)

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Coldforge posted:

With a fullback drafted in the 1st round! :D

HarlanHell
Nov 16, 2012

Nevermind that shit here comes Mingo!
Sorry but Otto Graham is the best 60 and 14. 10 years 10 championship games 7 wins. If a QB did that today everyone at ESPN would be drinking his bottled piss.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Coldforge posted:

I do love that the Jets went to back to back AFC Championships a few years back but due to a confluence of failures, everybody has understandably chosen to just collectively forget that that happened.

Grittybeard posted:

Biggest looking dudes I remember, look at tiny little Warren Sapp. And looking at their size they hold up pretty well (listed at 365 and 340)

Ted Washington was at the center of one of my favorite plays ever, on a 4th and goal back in 2003 against the Colts. They hand the ball to Edgerrin James who's supposed to dive up the middle but Ted Washington has just squatted down in the middle of the line, engulfing the center, and Edge is forced to bounce it outside where he gets tackled. Amongst a dozen 300 lb dudes all crashing into each other, Ted Washington was an immovable boulder.

HarlanHell posted:

Sorry but Otto Graham is the best 60 and 14. 10 years 10 championship games 7 wins. If a QB did that today everyone at ESPN would be drinking his bottled piss.

To be fair, those all came in an 8-12 team league, with 1 game playoffs.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Kalli posted:

Let Browns fans have this

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Grittybeard posted:

Keith Traylor in his later years with the Bears/Pats/Dolphins was just loving huge.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Let Browns fans have this

They'll always have:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cA00YTjztU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

commy gun posted:

I think there's been some confusion on #4 so to clarify here's your winner:

:colbert:

Brett Favre? :psyduck:

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Ogden is freakish big and freakish strong, and quicker then you'd expect for a man of his size. Maybe Jones could beat him, dance around him until he's so tired from hacking away that he drops; Get him off his feet somehow. But one misstep and Jones is dead.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

SlipUp posted:

Ogden is freakish big and freakish strong, and quicker then you'd expect for a man of his size. Maybe Jones could beat him, dance around him until he's so tired from hacking away that he drops; Get him off his feet somehow. But one misstep and Jones is dead.

Nah, none of those older guys would stand a chance against a LT like Ogden with his size, footwork, fundamentals and hand placement. Not only that, but back then the OL couldn't do poo poo. Against a modern OL that has a lot more freedom of movement and hand placement, there are a lot of questions about how pass rushers from previous eras would perform. That said, for his era holy poo poo Deacon was nasty. It's hard to believe he wouldn't be a monster even now. I'd vote Ogden the best at 75 but at the same time, I have to respect the fact that if Deacon were playing in Ogden's era, he may have done better than if Ogden was playing in Deacon's era. Then again, maybe not.

I just remember seeing so many elite pass rushers thrown back, held up, and flat out pancaked by probably the best LT I've seen in my life not named Munoz. It's hard to vote against that, especially since I got to see Ogden's whole career. Before injuries caught up, he was just incredible.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 9, 2014

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Chichevache posted:

Brett Favre? :psyduck:

I think he was joking.

HarlanHell
Nov 16, 2012

Nevermind that shit here comes Mingo!

Kalli posted:

You're correct the league was less diluted so every player was the best of the best, an even more impressive feat than if they did it today.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

Rasczak posted:

97 would be Bob Lilly

Forgot about him, was all set to post this guy:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Oh how in the gently caress did I forget Alexander :doh:

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Not in a world where Joe Greene played.

Also, best # 88, the last defensive tackle to win NFL MVP.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Industrial posted:

Forgot about him, was all set to post this guy:

Ok I had a brainfart and was way off base, Lilly was #74. 97 is wide open!

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

HarlanHell posted:

You're correct the league was less diluted so every player was the best of the best, an even more impressive feat than if they did it today.

I cant believe I thought this was a real post for a half a second I need to stop reading other boards

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
This thread makes me realize how nervous I am about Atkins.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Wow, the new NFL Blitz looks good.

Would London Fletcher be in the game for 59? He was never the greatest at any time, but his consistent, Lenny Kravitz-esque performance year in and year out is something you don't see from LBs for over 15 years.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

shiksa posted:

Would London Fletcher be in the game for 59? He was never the greatest at any time, but his consistent, Lenny Kravitz-esque performance year in and year out is something you don't see from LBs for over 15 years.

:colbert:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
People seem to love London Fletcher so I'm not sure how many will agree with us, but I'm with you.

Although he looked better like this:

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.
OK, first off, you all agree #20 is Barry. I don't have to argue about that, because anyone who argued that would be literally and utterly brain damaged.

Are there any other #20's who even come close? I'm kinda curious if there are other good #20's.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Ronde Barber was good, just not Barry good.

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.
A start all the same. barry steals first like a marathon runner finishing a half hour before second place. But who's second? Ronde currently has a nod.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
How good are you looking for to get second place, or am I missing someone obvious? There might be someone better but Barber had one hell of a career.

Deron Cherry was a fine player who wore 20, free safety for the Chiefs who made second team all-1980s--apparently first team all 80's for pro football reference which I didn't know did these things until now. 50 interceptions in an 11 year career. Tried to make the team as a punter as a rookie, got cut and came back and kind of owned (a lot less than Ronnie Lott) as a safety.

I really just wrote this to talk about Deron Cherry, someone give me an excuse to talk about Albert Lewis now.

e: vv--gently caress me that was the obvious one I was missing

Or Brian Dawkins. drat, 20 is a good number for a safety.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jun 9, 2014

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

cucka posted:

A start all the same. barry steals first like a marathon runner finishing a half hour before second place. But who's second? Ronde currently has a nod.

Ed Reed? Brian Dawkins?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Is there a better 52 than Patrick Willis?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Is there a better 52 than Patrick Willis?

Actually, I don't know. Ray at his prime against Willis in his prime would be a tough argument either way.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Fenrir posted:

Actually, I don't know. Ray at his prime against Willis in his prime would be a tough argument either way.

I don't think it's close at all. Willis might not even be the best linebacker on his own team. Lewis is a top 3 middle linebacker of all time.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I'd say Willis had a peak that came close but just didn't last as long, but otherwise you're right. Lately Bowman is better than Willis, and Ray is a first ballot hall of famer, most likely.

Maybe I'm remembering too much recent Ray Lewis though, and not enough of his early 2000s play. He was a monster back then.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

People seem to love London Fletcher so I'm not sure how many will agree with us, but I'm with you.

Although he looked better like this:

Man I loving loved Donnie Edwards

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Fenrir posted:

Somehow I forgot Ray Lewis wore 52. Yeah, he's better.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

It's John Hannah, I certainly don't want to put forward Tony Eason as the best #11.

twerking on the railroad fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 9, 2014

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Ken Anderson was absolutely not the best #14.

Maybe the best mustache by a #14, though.

awww yeeeaahhh

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Frackie Robinson posted:

Sammy Baugh is a pretty obvious pick for 33

One would imagine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
If not warren sapp 99 would be jason Taylor.

For 54 - I nominate zach Thomas.

"Crazy you homer" but wait!
He has 7 pro bowls, 5 first team all pros 2 second team all pros for a total of SEVEN all pros, 2 time linebacker of the year according to nfl linebackers alumni association and named to the all 2000s nfl team

• Locked thread