Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Kirby having weird poo poo is precedented, but horrible slime chimera monster wall was out there even for the franchise where the final boss of two games was an eyeball monster that bleeds when you attack it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CJacobs posted:

Here is an actual spoiler, this time for for 3: you're correct, Aurelia was created for PreSequel! So she was brought back as a main villain in 3. She is just as much of a queen on the other side of the conflict. The handsome doppelganger was also retconned back to life because the writers liked him so much!

IIRC the doppelganger didn't actually die anyway, in 2 there's a mission where you kill Handsome Jack body doubles but they're just wearing holograms, not the full cosmetic surgery treatment like he got.

I got the impression there's some pretty interesting story stuff in the game trying to get past Anthony Burch's bullshit.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

BioEnchanted posted:

The worst part of it was the final boss's final QTE where you have to both wiggle the analog stick WHILE mashing one of the face buttons. That was the most stressful QTE I've ever had to do, although what it resulted in was pretty rad.

I'm going back through MGSV, and that type of QTE happens when you get to close to sleep grenade gas and have to force yourself to stay awake. No, I didn't do it three times in the first encounter I used those :arghfist::saddumb:

But speaking of MGSV, I just ran into my favorite little thing:
https://i.imgur.com/z6RetQ5.mp4
He's gonna help me fulton so many guys :luca:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm going back through MGSV, and that type of QTE happens when you get to close to sleep grenade gas and have to force yourself to stay awake. No, I didn't do it three times in the first encounter I used those :arghfist::saddumb:

But speaking of MGSV, I just ran into my favorite little thing:
https://i.imgur.com/z6RetQ5.mp4
He's gonna help me fulton so many guys :luca:

Its wild to me that this game is like a hundred years old and still looks hella good

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Leal posted:

Its wild to me that this game is like a hundred years old and still looks hella good

Battlefield 1 came out in 2016 and it still looks insanely good

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yeah, it feels like we've been in a state of more incremental graphics upgrades for a long time now, but MGSV regularly has me consciously thinking about how good it looks every time I play. Especially all the bloomy lighting effects at night, they did a great job there.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Looking good is a lot more about the art design and what procedural generation tools you used for the greebles than it is about digital horsepower. Any zero-effort asset-flip can have high-res graphics these days, it takes more than that to impress people.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Arkham Knight still looks fantastic and Bioshocks art direction will always look superb to me

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Art direction, design and aesthetics have always been the actual important part of graphics.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

oldpainless posted:

Arkham Knight still looks fantastic and Bioshocks art direction will always look superb to me

Arkham Knight, which I believe was released in the before times, the long long ago, looks almost suspiciously good, especially compared to Gotham Knights which was released like last year and looks like poo poo.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I love Dishonored's art style and tone.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I can never imagine a point when the Witcher 3 will ever be truly ugly, it just works. Even things like infinity engine games will always work due to the strength of the style and direction.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I love Dishonored's art style and tone.

For all the gameplay critiques one can lay against it (rightfully so), it is so strong in style and setting that I still think on it very favourably.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

TGG posted:

I can never imagine a point when the Witcher 3 will ever be truly ugly, it just works. Even things like infinity engine games will always work due to the strength of the style and direction.

I unironically love the way bg1 and 2 look. They just take me back to a time and place in my life other old pc games dont

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

The people of Dishonored have such gigantic hands.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Big hands, triangular faces. A species of moles.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like the dramatic irony in Arc: Twilight of the Spirits. Darc is currently in the area that his brother started in and has no idea that his mother is just about half a mile thataway.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

TGG posted:

Witcher 3 is extremely ugly imo, the NPCs especially

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Most of the NPCs in Witcher 3 being ugly fits my worldview of that place. As long as Geralt is smouldering and my magical waifus are gorg then that's all that matters.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Yep, that's how the Witcher should look.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Philippe posted:

Big hands, triangular faces.

The artists actually were making each social caste conform to a particular set of facial and body builds. The Nobles, the Soldiers, the Commoners, and the Thugs all have their own visual morphic style. I thought that was pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Inspector Gesicht posted:

There's a list of games that got spinoffs nobody wanted because they came at the expense of an actual installment.
  • Metroid Prime: Federation Force
  • Valkyrie Elysium
  • Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
Suicide Squad was a death of a thousand cuts. Nobody wanted to revisit the Arkham universe since it was finished. Nevermind that it was a live-service game that came too late, completely missed the point of them being a SUICIDE squad (like the 2016 movie), and people watching kinda wished they made a real Justice League game.
I think that "expense of actual installment" sentiment is not quite true, or a bit too narrowly considered. For many, many games or series, there is literally no way to get a sequel that's Just Like The Old Stuff because nobody who worked on the original is still with the company that holds the rights. Nuts & Bolts is definitely such an example, but there's plenty of others. In fact, there's lots of official installments in well-known franchises where the original team went to do their own thing or folded, and the sequel was handled by somebody else, and none of the examples I can think are considered as good as the originals, despite having the same basic gameplay:
- Spyro after 3
- Crash Bandicoot on PS2
- Halo 4

And all of the original creators of these franchises moved on to wildly successful new shores (Infamous/Spider-Man, Uncharted, Destiny).

Conversely, there's a trend of original creators (single people or team) making spiritual sequels to their beloved sequels - again, with the same gameplay - and often that also doesn't work out:
- Yooka-Laylee (Banjo-Kazooie)
- Hellgate: London (Diablo 2)
- Mighty No. 9 (Mega Man)

Perhaps the best of those efforts is Bloodstained (Castlevania), though that has its flaws too.

But that's not a law or anything. It really just depends on who's making the game, and you can find plenty of examples where they assembled a new team, gave them the license to continue/revive an old series, and the resulting game is excellent:
- Mega Man 11
- Crash 4
- the new Resident Evils

In conclusion, talented people make good games and a game's name is just that.