Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I love the puzzles in Tomb Raider 4, they are so different to the other games because they are more obviously supernatural, with the coolest example being in the Temple of Karnak, where you have to find an underwater passage by seeing it reflected in a giant underwater mirror because on your side of the glass the passage is hidden (although I found it out of luck and only noticed that the glass was reflective after the fact because I was panicking) and when you put the second canopic jar in place it doesn't stop the current in the watercourse that's blocking your path, it instead stops YOU falling in it as the water turns solid so you are walking in ankle deep water instead of swimming in 7 feet of it. I don't mean it freezes, it's still water but now you are walking on it. Such a cool puzzle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I honestly liked how the puzzles in the Tomb Raider reboot games where mostly "how can I smash this door open?"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Yeah, but the puzzle that makes you walk on water has a fun undertone given one of the more famous bible stories involves ancient Egyptian priests trying to copy Jesus' miracles to prove that he was a con (at least the movie version does that) so it's fun that the ancient Egyptians did that too.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I will probably not buy or play Dragon's Dogma 2, but this amuses me greatly.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

None of my pawns have called me gay yet :negative:

They do high-five me tho, which owns:
https://i.imgur.com/yxl27pu.mp4

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Cythereal posted:

I will probably not buy or play Dragon's Dogma 2, but this amuses me greatly.

In the other direction, pawns will gossip about you if you only recruit female pawns

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Alhazred posted:

I honestly liked how the puzzles in the Tomb Raider reboot games where mostly "how can I smash this door open?"

It's a silly little thing (so fitting for the thread I guess) but I loved that to open one of the shortcuts in the swamp in Lies of P you pull a lever by a minecart and it rolls down and smashes the poo poo out of a wall by the little bonfire device thing. Very satisfying and more soulslikes need that sort of shortcut creation instead of just dropping a ladder or opening a one way door.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

There's a similar thing in the Dark Souls III DLC Ashes of Ariandel where you kick a giant tree down and it falls over a chasm, forming a shortcut.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Leal posted:

In the other direction, pawns will gossip about you if you only recruit female pawns

Hahaha, they will do the same thing if you hire only Beastren (The lion people).

The pawns are great.
Mine is a menace and a hoarder, not only does she pick everything up and open every treasure chest, she will smash all the vases and boxes.

I was exploring a basement and was disappointed there was nothing there, only for here to explode all the boxes and shout "Look what I found!".
I turned around and she had revealed a secret passageway.

She's better at this adventurer thing than I am.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
One of my hired pawns just randomly blurted out that their homeboy Arisen loves to have a bunch of different visitors to their bedchambers and I was like THAT'S COOL BUT I'M FIGHTING GOBLINS RIGHT NOW

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Finally beat Lies of P after like 3 weeks of being stuck at the end game. It feels like they upped the damage of my weapon and lowered bosses health. Either way I’ll finally have something to talk about next weekend at my sisters funeral.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

More like less of oldP

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

More like oldsisless

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Bashing a random tombstone midway through a level in the PSP Castlevania game and collecting a whole new complete port of Symphony of the Night has to be one of the greatest item pickups of all time.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

oldpainless posted:

Finally beat Lies of P after like 3 weeks of being stuck at the end game. It feels like they upped the damage of my weapon and lowered bosses health. Either way I’ll finally have something to talk about next weekend at my sisters funeral.

sorry for your loss, oldpainless.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

BioEnchanted posted:

Yeah, but the puzzle that makes you walk on water has a fun undertone given one of the more famous bible stories involves ancient Egyptian priests trying to copy Jesus' miracles to prove that he was a con (at least the movie version does that) so it's fun that the ancient Egyptians did that too.

I think you're thinking of Moses there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

oldpainless posted:

More like a username more appropriate for your sister.

(Sorry for your loss!)

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

oldpainless posted:

Either way I’ll finally have something to talk about next weekend at my sisters funeral.

lol

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is fun in Dragon's Dogma 2 to go back through an area you've been through before and see the slowly rotting corpses of the giant monsters you've killed.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Elfface posted:

I think you're thinking of Moses there.

Yeah, I realised that hours later. Whoops. Still, at the Senet puzzle so that's cool.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

NoiseAnnoys posted:

I want a heat action where you shove a dude in a cab and pay the cabbie to drive him to a different city. or if the travel to nara at any point, a heat action where you stuff a dude’s pockets full of deer crackers and the local deer harass the thug until he breaks down crying.

The hobo wizard in 7 does get a spell where he covers his foe in birdseed and they get attacked by pigeons.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The hobo wizard in 7 does get a spell where he covers his foe in birdseed and they get attacked by pigeons.

Last place I expected a Home Alone 2 reference.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Just starting TotK and I absolutely love that the method to unstick things you've just together is just to shake them loose

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Opopanax posted:

Just starting TotK and I absolutely love that the method to unstick things you've just together is just to shake them loose

You won't love that eventually when trying to make more precision constructions!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Pulsarcat posted:

Hahaha, they will do the same thing if you hire only Beastren (The lion people).

The pawns are great.
Mine is a menace and a hoarder, not only does she pick everything up and open every treasure chest, she will smash all the vases and boxes.

I was exploring a basement and was disappointed there was nothing there, only for here to explode all the boxes and shout "Look what I found!".
I turned around and she had revealed a secret passageway.

She's better at this adventurer thing than I am.

My pawn will lightning blast every barrel and pot she comes across, it's pretty funny but also makes me question every time if she's being a hoarder goblin or hitting an actual goblin.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I like how if NPCs are following you in DD2 they will join your camp when you rest. Also if you have a pawn guiding you and you aren't following they'll do this

https://i.imgur.com/sCP1hRX.mp4

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Yakuza Kiwami: I knew that the minigames are a big draw of the series, but they really put a whole rear end racing minigame with 6 stats to balance and dozens of parts to collect. :stare:

And it lulls you into a false sense of security before slapping you with the difficulty. It is genuinely difficult, and a fun puzzle to piece together! You gotta balance top speed, acceleration, grip, balance, weight, and cornering or else you will lose. It is too much fun, I'm sad that there will be entries without Pocket Racing

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Leal posted:

I like how if NPCs are following you in DD2 they will join your camp when you rest. Also if you have a pawn guiding you and you aren't following they'll do this

https://i.imgur.com/sCP1hRX.mp4

It’s so minor but the change to how pawns guide you is real nice. In DD1 they would just bolt off to whatever they wanted to show you, now they’ll mention it and you can tell them to do it with the Go command, or use another to tell them no. They’ll also stop if they get too far away and do the adorable hand-wave thing like above. It makes keeping track of them way easier.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There’s a couple times a mage pawn has volunteered “hey I can levitate to that treasure chest you can’t reach” and got the loot on command. feels like they did a much better job letting pawns take advantage of everything their class can do and I’m appreciating their presence a lot more than DD1

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Owl Inspector posted:

There’s a couple times a mage pawn has volunteered “hey I can levitate to that treasure chest you can’t reach” and got the loot on command. feels like they did a much better job letting pawns take advantage of everything their class can do and I’m appreciating their presence a lot more than DD1

Hell they're more competent than me most of the time.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Tomb Raider 4 really escalates things in the final levels in Cairo, because Von Croy gets possessed by an evil god and brings about the end times. In prior games it felt like the villains were more segregated from the world - certainly Atlantis had the flesh pyramid, but it was in the middle of nowhere and not really harming anyone at the time because you stop the bad guys, and the dragon in 2 is just in it's lair after being summoned deep underground, so the rest of the world can kind of ignore them, but Cairo's totally hosed as the City of the Dead isn't a ruin or series of tombs like you'd expect, but CAIRO ITSELF, and the buildings are all dark and the sky is red. It really feels like the world is actually in trouble this time.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Tomb Raider 4 really escalates things in the final levels in Cairo, because Von Croy gets possessed by an evil god and brings about the end times. In prior games it felt like the villains were more segregated from the world - certainly Atlantis had the flesh pyramid, but it was in the middle of nowhere and not really harming anyone at the time because you stop the bad guys, and the dragon in 2 is just in it's lair after being summoned deep underground, so the rest of the world can kind of ignore them, but Cairo's totally hosed as the City of the Dead isn't a ruin or series of tombs like you'd expect, but CAIRO ITSELF, and the buildings are all dark and the sky is red. It really feels like the world is actually in trouble this time.

This is making me realize I've never played any of the original tomb raider games outside of maybe a demo or two, because there was a flesh pyramid at some point?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Weird Pumpkin posted:

This is making me realize I've never played any of the original tomb raider games outside of maybe a demo or two, because there was a flesh pyramid at some point?

Atlantis in Tomb Raider 1 is basically nothing but fleshy hallways and creatures with no skin, and it's final level is called The Great Pyramid.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I also can't believe I never heard that Atlantis was a weird fleshworld in all the years since the first game came out, up until a discord friend was playing the new collection a few weeks ago. It sounds like such a weird swing, I should've heard about it somewhere along the way.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Tomb Raider 1 also has you fight a mercenary who is basically a teenager on a skateboard, dual wielding uzis while parodying a quote from the movie Taxi Driver.

The Survivor trilogy has made a lot of us forget how goofy those early games could get. You remember that Lara fights dinosaurs? Well, that's barely a footnote.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 20:00 on Mar 27, 2024

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Mierenneuker posted:

Tomb Raider 1 also has you fight a mercenary who is basically a teenager on a skateboard, dual wielding uzis while parodying a quote from the movie Taxi Driver.

The Survivor trilogy has made a lot of us forget how goofy those early games could get. You remember that Lara fights dinosaurs? Well, that's barely a footnote.

Is the new couple games called The Survivor Trilogy? This is the first I've heard of this.

I want a return to Tomb Raider. Lara should be a huge-boobed socialite who gives gently caress-all about cultural sensitivity and the consequences of her actions. She's after that bling babyyyy

The remaster makes the T-Rex encounter in Tomb Raider 1 happen outside. Before, the "sky" was just a big black nothing. I always imagined it happening inside an enormous cave. Makes more sense for it to be outside, but I like the cave.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

The Lone Badger posted:

Hell they're more competent than me most of the time.
I really like when allies are competent. Give me more games that put me in command of NPCs who can do the things I’m not good enough to do myself.

Yes, I am a middle-manager, why do you ask?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I liked the bit in the Tomb Raider Powerwash Simulator campaign about that. "You're probably wondering about the T-Rex. Yes, it's real. Don't ask."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

credburn posted:

Is the new couple games called The Survivor Trilogy? This is the first I've heard of this.

Same, but I guess Tomb Raider thinks that's what it's called

https://www.tombraider.com/products/games/tomb-raider-definitive-survivor-trilogy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

I really like when allies are competent. Give me more games that put me in command of NPCs who can do the things I’m not good enough to do myself.

Yes, I am a middle-manager, why do you ask?

I really, really love when games give you an NPC companion that can take care of themselves to interact with the player and such. It doesn't happen all the time, but it's just fun having the banter for cutscenes and stuff :shobon: