Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Phy posted:

Same, but I guess Tomb Raider thinks that's what it's called

https://www.tombraider.com/products/games/tomb-raider-definitive-survivor-trilogy

Resident Evil already took the name Survivor for a beloved spin-off trilogy of a classic franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Phy posted:

Same, but I guess Tomb Raider thinks that's what it's called

https://www.tombraider.com/products/games/tomb-raider-definitive-survivor-trilogy

Yeah, because they can't just call it the Tomb Raider reboot, because Crystal Dynamics already did a reboot of Tomb Raider with Legend back in 2006. I find it mildly amusing that each reboot series only lasts half as long as the original one.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The last three Tombs Raid are pretty good. The third one I thought kicked rear end. I dug the voice actor they brought on to do Lara, she sounds like she's really into it when monologuing about incan hunting spears or whatever artifacts you find.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I also love how unhinged they make Lara, in the second game she's about to fall into a pit, the villain, who doesn't have anything personal against her and wants her to join her, goes to help her up and is shocked when Lara shoots at her face with her free hand and allows herself to fall into a boss fight, then in the third game the bad guys make a huge mistake when they try to break Lara by claiming Jonah's dead, who at this point is the last person helping her hold on to what's left of her humanity, and the next thing they know, she's blown up one of their bases and is basically going full Terminator on them as they realise just how terrifying she can get

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

I also love how unhinged they make Lara, in the second game she's about to fall into a pit, the villain, who doesn't have anything personal against her and wants her to join her, goes to help her up and is shocked when Lara shoots at her face with her free hand and allows herself to fall into a boss fight, then in the third game the bad guys make a huge mistake when they try to break Lara by claiming Jonah's dead, who at this point is the last person helping her hold on to what's left of her humanity, and the next thing they know, she's blown up one of their bases and is basically going full Terminator on them as they realise just how terrifying she can get

If you're not wearing the skull mask during that scene you're doing it wrong.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also a cute thing I noticed while playing Tomb Raider 1 a few years ago - Jaqueline Natla's name is nearly an anagram of Atlantis. Natla = Atlan. I guess that explains her gameshow, "It's NATLA!" :v:

Also the best part in the original franchise is the Egyptian Adventure exhibit in the Coastal Ruins in 4, that's hilarious.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 23:18 on Mar 27, 2024

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

The best part of the original franchise is locking the butler in the freezer :colbert:

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Not exactly a small thing, but eh gently caress it.

Rise of the Ronin incorporates flicking blood off your blade as part of its combo structure. In prior Team Ninja games, specifically Nioh 1 and 2, you could regain stamina by timing a button press in between attacks, allowing you to keep going.

Ronin instead has you accumulate blood on the blade of your weapon, and at any time, you can weave a blade flick in between attacks, and depending on how bloody it is, you’ll get more ki back.

Also, a separate, and lovingly animated cleaning animation you can do out of combat. Just one of those things that really sells the feel they’re going for.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I stumbled into Elfton. Problem: I do not speak Elf.
Everyone here is very friendly and happy to chat but I have no idea what they’re saying. I find a shopkeeper by following the minimap icon. The shop menu is also in Elf, but the buttons are in the usual places so it’s fine.
The item descriptions are also in Elf. I can buy… some sort of bow-shaped thing… for 50k gold. No idea what it does. It’s probably s bow?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

haveblue posted:

I liked the bit in the Tomb Raider Powerwash Simulator campaign about that. "You're probably wondering about the T-Rex. Yes, it's real. Don't ask."

One of the texts in the backyard training course mentions she's ridden that ATV everywhere in the Manor grounds, much to the consternation of Winston.

When you do the trophy room level, there are ATV tyre tracks doing a loop through the door, around the room, and back out again.

TBLALV
Aug 5, 2022
Helldivers 2, I was surrounded by bugs and figured I wasn't going to live so in a panic I just called down an artillery barrage directly at my feet and then dove into the mass of writhing bug legs, hammering my heal button. Shells rained down around me as I crawled away as fast as my armoured self could carry me, somehow both that and the distant covering fire of my companions meant they didn't have the presence of little buggy minds to actually stomp on and kill me. Miraculously didn't get hit by a single shell and got up to unload my automatic shotgun into the survivors, scampering away with a sliver of health, no other stims, and a counter that said x20 on the bottom of the screen. And as I triumphantly limped my way toward a resupply crate a Hunter leapt out at me from behind a boulder, swiping at me as it landed and killing me unceremoniously in the sea of the desiccated corpses of its hive mates.

10/10 no notes

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I'm replaying Cyberpunk and doing the Joshua Stephenson quest line. It's so shocking a and good, and I love that there's no combat (technically you can shoot him in the beginning to satisfy the gig but why). You're just talking to a guy who's broken and having media vultures take advantage of his brokenness.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

TBLALV posted:

Helldivers 2, I was surrounded by bugs and figured I wasn't going to live so in a panic I just called down an artillery barrage directly at my feet and then dove into the mass of writhing bug legs, hammering my heal button. Shells rained down around me as I crawled away as fast as my armoured self could carry me, somehow both that and the distant covering fire of my companions meant they didn't have the presence of little buggy minds to actually stomp on and kill me. Miraculously didn't get hit by a single shell and got up to unload my automatic shotgun into the survivors, scampering away with a sliver of health, no other stims, and a counter that said x20 on the bottom of the screen. And as I triumphantly limped my way toward a resupply crate a Hunter leapt out at me from behind a boulder, swiping at me as it landed and killing me unceremoniously in the sea of the desiccated corpses of its hive mates.

10/10 no notes

In the movie that Hunter is the protagonist.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Cyberpunk 2077 is all like

And all I see is

Everyone at the club is going to die today.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

credburn posted:

Cyberpunk 2077 is all like

And all I see is

Everyone at the club is going to die today.

With a sandevistan you may be able to do both!

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Tevi, a metroidvania I recently completed, has a few fun things in it. First off, there are a lot of interesting buffs and debuffs that pop up along the way, like one area where if you ignored enemies to just run through a room you got slapped with an unavoidable instance of damage. Or certain bosses being pretty much invincible while their gimmicks are up, not because their defense is so high but because they heal for equal to the damage they take.

Second, achievements do something, in this case unlocking new modes for new runs, like starting with all the sigils/badges you had equipped in your latest clear file, starting with all the movement upgrades and attacks unlocked, or possibly just making all bosses way more aggressive and allowing them to use their supers at any time, or increasing the move speed of everything in the game. every five or so you get unlocks a new one, until you get them all at around 70.

Third, you start with a sigil with no cost that turns off collision damage in boss fights and replacing it by making the boss physically obstruct you, useful in a fast paced game where you spend a lot of time in melee range.

Fourth, any of your melee strikes turn off enemy collision damage for a few seconds, letting you just smack someone and run past if you don't want to fight something taking up a whole hallway.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
So is Cyberpunk good now? I know when it came out people were raising a huge stink but I wasn't sure if it was a case of Game Bad or just unrealistic expectations or what

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

YggiDee posted:

So is Cyberpunk good now? I know when it came out people were raising a huge stink but I wasn't sure if it was a case of Game Bad or just unrealistic expectations or what

Very much so, yes, go play it if you're interested.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

muscles like this! posted:

It is fun in Dragon's Dogma 2 to go back through an area you've been through before and see the slowly rotting corpses of the giant monsters you've killed.

Sometimes of ones you didn't kill. I was walking down the road and there was just a cyclops at the bottom of a cliff, very clearly dead. I threw an explosive barrel at it and its skin burned off.

Also one of my pawns was just absolutely and utterly obsessed with killing every single killable wildlife we ran across. Me and the other pawns would be fighting wolves and goblins while this freak was just off in the middle of nowhere slaughtering every deer and pig they could find.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

YggiDee posted:

I've played since start, and there was always a good game in there. The story, characters, and worldbuilding were and are all excellent, but the gameplay was mid and buggy at launch. With the consistent patching the devs have polished it to a mirror sheen, and the DLC is especially great (basically a smaller-scale Cyberpunk with more verticality and moral choices that make you feel terrible).

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

YggiDee posted:

yeah it's a blast. it's always been ok, but people were mad at it for fairly justified reasons, which have largely been addressed. it's still an open world mapfucker game, but I love it. Great if you have a good pc too, it's gorgeous.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

sebmojo posted:

it's still an open world mapfucker game, but I love it.

:raise:

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Cyberpunk is one of the best games ever made, imo, really reached the "witcher 3 but cyberpunk" stage

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

we like pain

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
is the PS4 version okay?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The PS4 version will never be OK, it's more game than the PS4 could handle no matter how optimized it gets

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
aww. I just got a PS4 so I've been exploring all the games I've been missing out on

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The PS4 version is bad. Cyberpunk should have never came out on PS4 and Xbone. Those versions didn't even get the DLC since they wouldn't have been able to handle it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
More relevantly, the PS4 and XBone versions are EOL and no longer updated. Didn't even get the 2.0 rebuild.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

YggiDee posted:

aww. I just got a PS4 so I've been exploring all the games I've been missing out on

You only really need Bloodborne to make the ps4 worthwhile.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Meowywitch posted:

we like pain

OOoooOOOOooooOOOOOORGIATIC

Cyberpunk is an oppressive game. There's people and garbage everywhere, the buildings loom above you like colossi, and there's everpresent noise. Ads scream at you from every screen and there's traffic noise all around you.

God how I love it.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

YggiDee posted:

Having never played it until now, when it's in a state I guess most people agree for bad or good is what it's meant to be, I'll say every frame is an achievement of graphics and presentation, the storyline is fine, V's voice actor is obnoxious, gunplay is okay, storyline is alright. It's a real solid GTA-set-in-a-Cyberpunk-world

Edit I wish I could play this is a language I don't speak. Reading everyone talk in Cyberpunk slang is fine, but actually hearing them say these words is so silly. It reminds me of Yakuza... if I were playing Yakuza in English I don't think I could take any of it seriously because what they're saying is objectively silly as gently caress, but since it's in a language I don't speak, there's something that abstracts it enough that it loses that silliness.

Cyberpunk dialogue sounds exactly like if your overexcited 14 year old dungeon master put a lot of work into his cyberpunk D&D campaign and really wants to be performative while he tells you about chooms being zeroed by corpos while dodging badges.

credburn has a new favorite as of 18:12 on Mar 28, 2024

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Cyberpunk is just straight up a TRPG tbf. Never played it but its slang in the anime didn’t sound any goofier to me than, say, Clockwork Orange’s.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

credburn posted:

Edit I wish I could play this is a language I don't speak. Reading everyone talk in Cyberpunk slang is fine, but actually hearing them say these words is so silly.

Maybe not exactly what you want (and it obviously won't improve the writing itself), but there is a mod which replaces various characters' voices with their dub voices from different languages while keeping the subtitles.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Apparently William Gibson spent most of the 70s hanging around Canadian hippies and that's on what he based all the slang in his cyberpunk books.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Philippe posted:

Cyberpunk is an oppressive game. There's people and garbage everywhere, the buildings loom above you like colossi, and there's everpresent noise. Ads scream at you from every screen and there's traffic noise all around you.

God how I love it.

Never had a PC that could handle it until recently and I played through the base game and DLC about a month ago. Went into it almost completely blind and I respect CDPR for taking their dazzling neon future setting and making maybe the most depressing game I've played in the last decade.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I played a Corpo my first time around, and spent the whole game trying to get back into Arasaka's good graces. Chose the Corpo ending and uhhhh it was bleak.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Corpo ending is bleak in a near perfect way and I love it for that.

TBLALV
Aug 5, 2022
If it's not horribly bleak and depressing, is it even a Cyberpunk game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It's maybe the biggest gut punch I've seen in a videogame.

Here's a quick overview: You say yes to the big corpo lady, give her access to the biochip, and help her oust her brother (who hated Arasaka and decided to kill his dad so he could reform the company. You then see Corpo Lady use the biochip tech to make her dad, the old Arasaka emperor, live forever, and you get carted off to a space station to solve logic puzzles that'll help Arasaka track how quickly your brain dies. None of this is cutscene, because that's how Cyberpunk rolls, so you get to do all of it.