Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I would love an Elder Scrolls or Fallout where Bethesda does all the world and environmental work and Obsidian gets to write the story and all the quests and characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As someone who believed fully in The Callisto Protocol thanks to its Dead Space pedigree, let me tell you that your heroes are fallible, and it's not guaranteed greatness when developers you've heard of make something new :sweatdrop:

It was a pretty rad game regardless of its shortcomings, you can punch off their limbs and for that reason Glen Schofield's Punch Out gets a pass

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

With Arkham Knight looking incredible on modified UE3 a decade on, and the FF7 remake trilogy likely staying on UE4, I can't fathom small studios taking the plunge with the hot new engines.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Firmament really comes across as a game that would have been cancelled if it hadn't been a Kickstarter game. It feels like the development kinda petered out and they just threw what they had together and covered the seams or whatever. Since it was a successful Kickstarter, they had to deliver something, if it wasn't for that, I doubt it would have gotten released.

I'm being optimistic and not holding it against Cyan and hoping the Riven remake won't have remotely the same issues.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A lot of "beloved game developer returns to create spiritual successor" projects tend not to work out because by the time they finally get going, the developer in question has been out of practice for quite some time and their ideas have either become outdated or slavishly devoted to antiquated features from their earlier work.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If anything it's the sequels to the Kickstarter games that fulfill the promise made by the original: Wasteland 3, Pillars 2, Original Sin 2...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eiyuden Chronicles is 100% the exact game that was promised, but the writer/director of the studio also died roughly a month before it came out so lose-lose.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It helps if the Kickstarter takes inspiration from a game that wasn't good in the first place. Shovel Knights owes a big debt to Zelda II of all things.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
getting back to things that we like, I deeply appreciate that while the Serious Sam games have been adding something resembling a story, complete with NPCs mostly dressed in military uniforms, Sam himself is still running around in jeans and a graphic T-shirt, spouting gravelly one-liners like it's the 1980's.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

A lot of "beloved game developer returns to create spiritual successor" projects tend not to work out because by the time they finally get going, the developer in question has been out of practice for quite some time and their ideas have either become outdated or slavishly devoted to antiquated features from their earlier work.

Phoenix case in Point

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
My favorite Kickstarter sequel was Shenmue because they remembered the best part was the absolutely terrible voice acting.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I love New Vegas and all but I mean, I played Outer Worlds

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

getting back to things that we like, I deeply appreciate that while the Serious Sam games have been adding something resembling a story, complete with NPCs mostly dressed in military uniforms, Sam himself is still running around in jeans and a graphic T-shirt, spouting gravelly one-liners like it's the 1980's.

It really is such great character design. In BFE you can find an easter egg 5 minutes into the game that changes your shoes to be the old school colors for the whole rest of your run.

Then you notice that's the only change they've made since the first game and it's kinda cool to consider!

edit: even this oddball got the same treatment. And a fun fact, the Hunter from Enter the Gungeon sports a Sam belt buckle

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 19:01 on Apr 23, 2024

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CJacobs posted:

It really is such great character design. In BFE you can find an easter egg 5 minutes into the game that changes your shoes to be the old school colors for the whole rest of your run.

Then you notice that's the only change they've made since the first game and it's kinda cool to consider!

Serious Sam 3 is a prequel, so technically you just had the origin of how Sam got them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Serious Sam 3 is a prequel, so technically you just had the origin of how Sam got them.

holy poo poo :kstare:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

also for a lot of those people they really do need some kind of directoral oversight to rein in their creative impulses to produce their best work. good developers aren't necessarily good directors and goods directors are rare in general.

Push El Burrito posted:

My favorite Kickstarter sequel was Shenmue because they remembered the best part was the absolutely terrible voice acting.

that and the creator was absolutely convinced he had solved game design perfectly in 2000 and nothing needed to be changed.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

With Arkham Knight looking incredible on modified UE3 a decade on, and the FF7 remake trilogy likely staying on UE4, I can't fathom small studios taking the plunge with the hot new engines.

Hearkens back to Cyan apparently getting really, really excited by a real time 3D engine and buying the entire thing outright. And then being saddled with all of its jank and limitations throughout the making of realMyst, URU, and Myst V...

I guess in fairness back in 2000~ it's not like there were a ton of engines lying around that offered high graphical fidelity and strong multiplayer support. I think maybe UE5 was supposed to be a thrill because of it having better innate VR support? I forget what exactly their reasoning was.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 19:46 on Apr 23, 2024

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

At least with UE5 there’s some incentive to switch because the workflow’s easy to port over, and some of their new graphics tech is wild, but that’s the kind of decision you make multiple years before your game comes out.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Dewgy posted:

At least with UE5 there’s some incentive to switch because the workflow’s easy to port over, and some of their new graphics tech is wild, but that’s the kind of decision you make multiple years before your game comes out.

And that. They were already on the UE train with Myst VR and Obduction so it was even less of a jump.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Back 4 Blood was another original creators one. It was fun for a run but then there was no reason to ever go back, and no content came out.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

pentyne posted:

also for a lot of those people they really do need some kind of directoral oversight to rein in their creative impulses to produce their best work. good developers aren't necessarily good directors and goods directors are rare in general.

I adore most of Kojima’s works, but you just can’t leave that man alone for more than 30 seconds before he tries to fly off the rails again.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Back 4 Blood was another original creators one. It was fun for a run but then there was no reason to ever go back, and no content came out.

according to the crowbcat video on this game, only three people from turtle rock actually worked on it, lol

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

moosecow333 posted:

I adore most of Kojima’s works, but you just can’t leave that man alone for more than 30 seconds before he tries to fly off the rails again.
I was tempted to include him in the list but say what you will, that man actually makes games and people love them, Metal Gear or no. I doubt he had much oversight for Death Stranding but by all accounts he made what he wanted and it's exactly a Kojima game which is what people want from Kojima. Rare gamedev doing their own thing success story imo

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

It was pretty ok, but I actually found it way too hard for what it really should've been

L4D was about the perfect level of difficulty in that you could play with people that don't really play games overall and have a great time. Getting my Dad through B4B, despite him being a huge fan of the L4D series and us playing that about a million times, was pretty challenging despite loving playing games together

edit: admittedly this could be a skill issue

Weird Pumpkin has a new favorite as of 00:06 on Apr 24, 2024

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Aphrodite posted:

Other than the three DLC packs you mean?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Meowywitch posted:

according to the crowbcat video on this game, only three people from turtle rock actually worked on it, lol

There were at least nine out-source studios used on that game.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The original Left 4 Dead had the perfect amount of jank to make it one of my favorite games ever. The sequel and B4B just couldn't live up to that.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

It was pretty ok, but I actually found it way too hard for what it really should've been

L4D was about the perfect level of difficulty in that you could play with people that don't really play games overall and have a great time. Getting my Dad through B4B, despite him being a huge fan of the L4D series and us playing that about a million times, was pretty challenging despite loving playing games together

edit: admittedly this could be a skill issue

Nah I remember the overall level of difficulty being a point of contention at launch. May or may not have been interrelated with the questionable card system that people didn't much care for either.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Push El Burrito posted:

The original Left 4 Dead had the perfect amount of jank to make it one of my favorite games ever. The sequel and B4B just couldn't live up to that.

L4D was perfect

The sequel just wasn't the same imo

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

I would sacrifice god know's how many jelly babies if the Arkane who made Prey and Dishonored (and not the Arkane who made Deathloop, Youngblood, and Redfall) got a shot at Fallout.

Why was deathloop in the second group? I dont know that it belongs in the first one but it felt like it had a sense of style and purpose at least compared to redfall etc.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

verbal enema posted:

L4D was perfect

The sequel just wasn't the same imo

the sequel does have ellis though,

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

John Murdoch posted:

Also all the tech demo/KS update stuff made it sound like they were super duper excited to be messing around with UE5, so I get a "yay we get to play with a new toy, oops it's not fun anymore" vibe from it.

That seems to happen a lot with the Kickstarter darlings, where the devs have clearly been out of the industry for years and become excited over new toys to them that have already worn out their welcome with everyone else.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I will say that as much as I love L4D2 the first game is a pretty perfect game. It just WORKED. I never heard a single bad thing about it from anyone, everyone I introduced it to, gamer or not, loved it and it still holds up. Not going to be able to match that.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

still hopeful for the star control ur quan masters sequel, since their twitch streams before the kickstarter started seemed like they were in the right head space and having fun with it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Meowywitch posted:

Also all the best parts of L4D were innovated by Valve staff, not Turtlecat's.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If anything it's the sequels to the Kickstarter games that fulfill the promise made by the original: Wasteland 3, Pillars 2, Original Sin 2...

Wasteland 2 was kinda mediocre due to adhering too hard to the original. They learned from that though and were able to make Wasteland 3.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Meowywitch posted:

the sequel does have ellis though,

I couldn't give a poo poo about any of the people in l4d2

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

verbal enema posted:

How dare you, Coach was the great

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

verbal enema posted:

absolutely terrible taste, 50% of that cast was perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I still say "grabbin pills" when I go get a bottle of aspirin or something.

Also Google knows the best characters in the game.