Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogan
Aug 2, 2006
Deus Ex has a lot of little things that make it great, but the one that always stuck with me is how much the game allows you to get to know the characters personally. Not just the main ones, but all the little background soldiers and stuff. Pilots and boat drivers have names and personalities, you get to see soldiers during their time off, hanging around in their office, getting patched up in the medical bay, etc. One this that really encapsulates this whole feature is the simple receptionist soldier at your HQ. At first he's labeled as "UNATCO soldier" and he makes some semi-awkward small talk. As you keep coming and going between missions he'll start up small conversations as you pass by. Once you feel like you're getting to know him more his label subtly changes to "Private Lloyd" (or whatever his real name is, I can't remember).

Really subtle, but once I noticed what was happening I just sat there stunned for a moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogan
Aug 2, 2006
I like how about 2 screens away from the very starting point of Riven, there is a little machine that would destroy the universe if you fiddled with it too much.

Seems like a great way to introduce new players to the game, and also give my 10-year-old self nightmares

Dogan
Aug 2, 2006

cobalt impurity posted:

When you're in jail, if you throw the food the guard gives you back out of the cell he'll eat it. If you do it three times, he'll strike up a conversation with you and the frequency is on the back of a photograph he pulls out during the cutscene.

Yeah, there's like 7 different ways to find the frequency, as I recall