Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

In Xcom, you can customise your soldiers' appearance and zoom right in to your base and see them recovering or relaxing between missions.

This guy wears a big purple fedora on the battlefield, but takes it off indoors while his ladyfriend drinks to the memory of her arms and legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

What triggered getting a nemesis anyway? It wasn't until I was recruiting my last warchiefs that one guy started coming back again and again and by this point I was super powerful and killed him easily about five times in rapid succession before mind controling him. Kinda disappointing. I also spent way too long handpicking the best orcs to promote to the top when there were only a couple of short battles and I don't think any of my guys died.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Starhawk64 posted:

I was unfortunate to discover that MaleShep can romance Kaiden in the third game :gay:

Though I do have to congratulate the game designers for having the balls to pull something like that off.

One time I had a gay elf romp in Dragon Age and it was kinda cool that that was even an option but romance side quests are so dumb.
KOTOR is the only game I can think of where it worked for me, as Bastila was a central part of the plot and your relationship influenced how the game ends.

That and Saints Row 4

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Soup - elf and onion. Gooood. Want try?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Just finished a murder mystery quest in Witcher 3 involving two characters: a surgeon and a coroner. They have a history and don't get on - surgeon was once coroner's pupil.
Surgeon looks somewhat older than coroner though. I thought it was just a weird oversight on the game designers' part, but later Geralt mentions it and the coroner explains working with embalming chemicals keeps him young looking, which I thought was pretty lame, but then at the end the coroner did it and is a vampire

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

In Blood and Wine, your majordomo is called Barnabas-Basil Foulty

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Talos Principle did a great job of scratching that Portal itch for me. The puzzles were just the right level of challenging. Hunting for stars in large maps sucked though.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Only ever had enough money for one property in gta5 (the gay bar) and expected a Vice City style mini-campaign, but all I got was a few texts to chase a thief or make a delivery before the time ran out and :effort: stuff like that.

Are the others the same?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

TontoCorazon posted:

Goddamn I've never wanted to dominate Orcs so loving bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgcFxCGP4fw

Neat. I Like that they're making your followers more important.

I was a little disappointed in SoM that I spent the whole game nurturing the careers of my favourite orcs and making them warchiefs only to have them fight in two short battles.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I'm looking forward to SoM2, but I don't have high hopes for the plot. I'm expecting pretty much a repeat of the Bright Lord DLC because what else can they do with that premise?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

Helms Deep or Battle of Pelennor Fields combat?

I forgot the timeline of SOM but I have faith they'll do something engaging.

Timeline is set between the Hobbit and LotR.
Premise is Celebrimbor makes a new Ring and he and Tyrion challenge Sauron for control of Mordor, but we know who's in charge by the time of LotR, so I can only guess that, like the Bright Lord DLC, you get chumped in a cut scene at the end

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

So much effort went into characterising the campers and I wish they'd had a bigger role.

Twisted, Gothic asylums full of tortured monsters are a big vidoegame cliche, but I liked that Psychonauts switched things up by having the inhabitants be well defined characters with their own back stories and symptoms of real mental health problems like the biploar actress and paranoid schizophrenic guard.
The Milkman Conspiracy was great - every line from the agents was gold.

Is the tower with the skewed dome referencing something? There's one in the Nightmare before Christmas and I think I've seen it elsewhere as well (maybe an Elder Scrolls game). Maybe some old expressionist film?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I'm playing Divinity 2 and it's really scratching that Baldur's Gate itch, but characters walk around hazards and traps. :aaa:

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

There’s a hunting mission in Blood Dragon where your quarry are four mutated tortoises in a sewer wth pizza boxes scattered around

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Samuringa posted:

I actually remember one very specific instance where Kreia praised me: In the planet where there are two warring factions(Dantooine), you can play your cards in a way that you stay neutral to both to the very end decision. She was actually proud and commended me for keeping my cool and having everyone under my thumb before acting out.

Yeah I did the same.
"Excellent, you have manipulated both sides to be reliant on you"
wtf, I wasn't being a Machiavellian genius, just an indecisive prick.

My favorite kotor moment was HK-47 doing impressions of Carth and Bastilla

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I died before I got out of my hotel room from a bright light/hangover combo. Know that feeling.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I loved that Disco Elysium gives you a wide scope for what sort of cop you are without making Harry a blank slate player avatar. Dude's a character whichever path you go down.
There were a ton of dialogue choices that made me laugh out loud

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

In Psychonauts 1, Bobby Zilch, the bully, bears a resemblance to Dr Lobotto that's never commented on. In the post-game of Psychonauts 2 you come accross Dr Lobotto escaping, saying he has to get back to camp as he left his kid there.

There are a couple of cheerleader kids in P1 who are obnoxiously cheerful but actually plotting suicide. They show up in P2 as imagination figments in a model of the camp. They're standing on the edge of a rooftop

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Kit Walker posted:

Going for a Phys/Psych build on my first run to play as an empathic himbo cop and then spinkicking Measurehead was absolutely delightful

I gave myself the lowest starting physical strength because I thought that would be a less interesting way to play, but I wanted to kick Measurehead's rear end so badly I ended up beefing up anyway. Totally worth it.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

beats for junkies posted:

I gave myself the lowest starting physical strength the first time I played and had a fatal heart attack while trying to get my necktie down from the ceiling fan.

Disco Elysium is great.

Ha! I did the same thing

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

RDR2 had a lot of trudging back and forth, which I normally dislike but it was very relaxing to turn on cinematic mode and watch the game do it for me
I also like this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8Wp1UWw02I

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Return to Monkey Island.

The framing device for the game is Guybrush recounting the tale to his son.
I loaded my last save after not playing for over a week and instead of picking up where I left off it went to Guybrush asking his son if he remembered where we got to and saying no had him recount where I was in the story and what I was trying to do.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The animal dialogues in BG3 are very entertaining.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

BG3 is entirely too horny. Like Saint's Row 4 parody level. And it's hillarious.

Act 3 spoiler
my companions walking in on me and the Emperor like

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Sleeping Dogs is my #2 game for just driving around listening to the radio (after Vice City). It's completely impossible to not drive recklessly while Khachaturian's Sabre Danse is playing.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The Maco wasn't great, but it did break up the gameplay and make the worlds feel large.
3 in particular felt like the galaxy was nothing but small rooms full of chest high walls.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

It was all worth it for the Probing Uranus joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

My favourite civ achievement was a 1 city challenge in civ5.
In that mode, any city you capture gets instantly raised, including capital cities.
I won a conquest game and turned the world into a postapocalyptic wasteland of ruins and roving barbarians and my one city standing above it all.

I unlocked "give peace a chance" because I was playing as Gandhi.