Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I recently bought Transistor on PS4 and one of the neat things is with the controller. The LED light flashes whenever Transistor talks (because he does so in the game too). It's just a shame that like all PS4 games that use the LED creatively, you cant see it unless you hold the controller all weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Byzantine posted:

I like that everybody's ultimate move is some crazy complex combo, except Superman who's just like "k, you're going to space now *effortlessly uppercuts you into orbit*".

It was great until like 3 other characters borrowed that super.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I keep forgetting that Diablo 3 exists, have they dropped the price yet and where can I find it digitally? Blizzard.com?

Battle.net

It's $40 for the base game, but theres a free trial to play through Act 1.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Speaking of this, does anyone know if the GOG release of Omikron actually works on modern systems? Because I have the old disc-based version and it is a nightmare to try to start the program, let alone actually play it.

Yeah of course. That's basically GOG's schtick.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

TaurusTorus posted:

gently caress that part on a non lethal run :shepicide:

Honestly I think it works better narratively if you fail. Pritchard's sympathy is a really great development between the two.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Spalec posted:

In the DLC has Ellie getting the (second) joke book, the facial animation and voice acting are perfect, Ellie looks SO loving excited to get another pun book.

And then you can share like 20 puns one after the other while heartwarming music plays as the girls share laughs.

The VA's reactions to those puns feels so genuine it's like they heard them for the first time and ad-libbed their responses.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I heard Bulletstorm was supposed to be co-op but they ultimately axed it because they couldnt make it fun or interesting. You can tell by the fact that you are never alone for a second, theres always an AI partner.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

Playing the first Dead Space game for the first time in a year or two and I forgot how great it is. The best thing about it though is that there are no cutscenes, everything happens in game. I know it's not the first game to do this, but it's a rare enough thing these days. I wish more games did it.

Not sure if that counts as something small, so more in the spirit of the thread is the objective marker. When you press R3 Isaac holds out his hand and a glowing blue line shows where you should be going. It's a neat little feature that helps you navigate without being in your face. It's also good when you have an area with multiple doors and you want to see which are the 'extra' areas, so you can explore them first before continuing on with your objective.

I always loved how the HUD is handled. The entire HUD appears as a hologram on the character's suit. It requires a bit of suspension of disbelief to work with that spine life bar but its just a neat little thing.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The spinal-mounted life bar's not for the wearer, it's for the rest of the guys working nearby :eng101:

Naw not that part, the fact that you can put human "health" on a single spectrum from "Fit as a fiddle" to "dead as a doornail". It's a gameplay convention it just gets kinda funny when you're justifying it as an in-universe thing.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

I'd always assumed that Shadows of Mordor was some silly grimdark Tolkien fanfiction that discarded one of the core themes of LoTR (small unimportant people can resist the temptations of power and do great things without having to revel in glory and battle). Is it still that, yet a good game? Or is it not that at all, and are you Literally Sauron?

It totally is that but it goes so over the top into insanity it's actually great. It's like making fun of a clown, you can't do it.

That said what backs it up is the gameplay is really solid, the nemesis system works just as well as they promised it would (albeit it feels very "Video gamey" and not organic, if that makes sense) and has an extremely satisfying power curve. In the intro you run from anything but small skirmishes because you can attract a lot of enemies at a time if you're too noisy and get overwhelmed. By the end it's some dynasty warriors poo poo and it's cool to see yourself get there.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I'm sure people are tired of hearing of it by now but man, the amount of stuff Shadows of Mordor remembers is nuts. I killed one captain by hurling him off a cliff. He comes back from the dead and when locking swords he says "You think that fall could kill me? Not bloody likely!" and I was just floored.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

A lot of Van Buren ideas were interesting and a lot were totally insane so I feel like New Vegas was what happens when you have a decade to sit on these ideas and sort of the wheat from the chaff.

It might be fun to see some of the weirder stuff one day though.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Tengames posted:

I especially loved where they complain about how "machina" is bad, but when tidus points out they got recording spheres and magic blitzbal arenas they handwave it with "no only that machina is bad, this one is good" dunno if that hypocrisy was intentional or they just didnt think up that plot device until after they made all the minigames.

It's absolutely intentional. The church of Yevon is shown to be really loving hypocritical several times and even if you still think it's a mistake, it's spelled out in the dialogue closer to the end.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

That's half the fun.
Yeah unlike other Paradox games CK2 is designed with roadblocks in the way as part of the game. You're following a family through it's rise and fall, and hopefully rebirth, not a country. Losing provinces is all part of that.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Set your Int as low as possible too.

I wouldn't do it your first run because it's harder to appreciate the changes if you havent seen the "normal" dialouge.

If you absolutely have to though, set it to 3. That'll give you the same "stupid dialouge" as an INT of 1 or 2 but you'll at least have some skill points.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I also love how he holds rifles and shotguns by the barrel when not in use instead of strapping them to his back with velcro.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

Finally gotten around to playing Black Flag. The set-up is you're helping Abstergo research people for a computer game - sorry, "virtual experience" - and you've been assigned the main character who was a pirate. A lot of Assassin Creed stuff has real world people in the index with a bunch of fascinating tid bits and comments about how things would have been different in reality, and though the guy you play as is fictional over half of his biography is bits about alcoholism, womanizing and violence being omitted because the higher-ups don't want to have to market a bad guy for the audience. :allears:

You can also unlock "internal" marketing videos about the protagonists and antagonists from previous AC games. They twist the perception of the protagonists to make them out to be bad guys (and therefore not suitable for the public) and the antagonists as the good guys.

It's really hamfisted but somehow it's funny as hell because of it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Give AC:Rogue a look if you can, because its fantastic. First AC protagonist I've actually liked since Ezio.

Black flag is good too. Guy just wants to be a cool pirate.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Fallout 4 really outdid itself compared to past Bethesda games when it comes to the idle animations. I was in a factory earlier and once we cleared the place out Piper leaned on one of the guard rails and looked around, it all looks really neat.

Although I laugh when I see the same drat crafting animation from Skyrim when NPCs use crafting benches.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I've been playing assassin's creed syndicate and one of the collectables in the game are vintage beers from Victorian England. One of your support team, Shaun tries them and writes notes about how they taste.

Now if you've never played the series Shaun is known for being British. Very very British and he usually pens the historical encyclopedia in this very cringe inducing attempt at dry sarcastic humor.

So the first few beers he talks about how they're bland and how they're fit for American supermarkets so I'm kind of like "oh boy here we go" but as time goes on they get progressively worse and you find him sinking into a slow descent into madness as he tries to find a beer that doesn't taste horrible.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Critical hits are my favorite little thing in fallout 4 honestly.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

It's affected by your luck Stat as well so if it's half decent it will fill up a lot faster.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I also love that after being a monumental dickhead all over the starting planet, you can turn up at the Jedi Enclave with deathly grey skin, lizardy eyes and tendrils of darkness creeping around your face. Then, after being moustache-twirlingly evil and bloodthirsty in front of the stuffy Councillors they decide that you're the perfect candidate for Jedi training and give you a lightsaber (in which you can promptly swap out the boring blue crystal for a demonic red one).

What could possibly go wrong!?
A running theme of both KOTOR gamre is how hilariously blind and up their own rear end the jedi council is.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Mr. Flunchy posted:

They should really port these classic RPGs to iOS/Android. Only got half an hour into Planescape on PC before losing interest, but i reckon it'd be much more palatable if i could dip in and out wherever I am.

Baldurs gate 1 and 2 and ice wind dale all have android/ios ports so who knows.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

why did you do this

Why not?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

CJacobs posted:

You're thinking about it from the wrong perspective. It's not a "skip the waiting around for a puzzle to do its thing" button which I can say with relative certainty does not happen at all in The Talos Principle, it's a "get back to where you were in a puzzle after you messed it up faster" button. The fact that you can use it like the former is just an added bonus.

edit: Also you move at fuckin Unreal Tournament speeds in that game

The puzzles that have moving patrols and so on also need to move slowly enough that you can actually process what's going on, and move to solve it. The fastforward button helps for when you "get it" and can just set it and forget it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

moosecow333 posted:

I thought people had to undergo power armor training before they could wear power armor. Did they just remove that concept from the game?

That perk was always handed out like candy so I honestly don't blame them for glossing over it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Swedish Horror posted:

In Stardew Valley you can pet animals. I'm not sure what this even does, but it's nice.

It helps them produce better stuff (e.g. cows produce better milk).

You can do it for your cat and dog but it doesn't seem to do anything, but why wouldn't you pet the cat you monster.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Great Milk Comes from Happy Cows ™

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Fingerless Gloves posted:

DMC4 cutscenes are so good.

Yes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpME4riPI1k

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

All video games are for children.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Kanfy posted:

Yeah, you got it from picking the "I, er, may have killed more people than I actually avenged here" -option when choosing what to write in your blog post at the end.

Even better is that option doesn't appear if you in fact killed less than...I wanna say 3 people, the number of your allies who die.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

Also I love that for once your party going on an epic quest to save the world is something everybody knows about and actively supports; almost every NPC you talk with is gushing about how psyched they are to meet a real Summoner and cheering you on and giving you free items as offerings.

I always liked how when you go to fight evrae (the dragon on the airship), tidus calls out Rin for charging them for items, pointing out that if they all die then any profit he'd gain would be pointless, and he says "I'm confident you'll win".

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

thecluckmeme posted:

Kimahri was hot garbage for bad people, with how overall worse he was at anything and everything you'd want out of other party members, but his place in the story was actually pretty nice. He doesn't get that much in lines and development for himself, because he's a quiet dude, but you basically rip off his tough persona through chatting with other people. He's actually a huge protective and loyal softie who got into the Guardian business to protect others, because nobody was around to protect him when he was young. Shame about that whole "unknowingly marching people to their deaths" part though

Eh, he knew that part though. Tidus was the only one who didn't since he's not from Spira. It seems that basically everyone knows when a summoner goes on a pilgrimage, they're not coming back. Either they'll die on the way or get killed in the final summoning. The reason people are so jovial about it is that it's become so standard that it's just easier to embrace it with a cheerful disposition that they're at least getting some time to not worry about Sin, rather than face the crushing realization that they're just sacrificing people.

FFX's world is depressing as gently caress but the game never really lays it on thick which is kinda awesome.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Lord Lambeth posted:

LOTR Online has this. Guild Wars 2 as well, if I remember correctly.

It's become pretty standard across all major MMOs since the multiplayer aspect makes looking pretty more important. WoW has transmogrification and FFXIV has glamours.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Gorilla Salad posted:

I was sold on the Witcher the moment you get drunk with some sketchy army guys and wake up with a loving horrible neck tattoo.

The scene in witcher 3 where you get wasted with your witcher pals is the hardest I've laughed at a game in forever.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Witcher are sterile and immune to any kind of disease so no STDs. It's established in the first book.

Polish writers gonna pole.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Strategic Tea posted:

Come on, it's not like the books go 'witchers are immune to disease HEY GUYS INCLUDING STDS HEY THEN HE BANGED ANOTHER PEASANT'

No the books literally do say that he's immune to disease including STDs because mutation. Pretty sure it was The Last Wish that says it.

It doesn't make a huge deal of it, just speaks of it matter of factly.

BioEnchanted posted:

Have there even been witchers in the series who start getting really snippy with people as opposed to the "Reserved Badass" personality? Like a peasant gives him a hard time about his weird genetics and he just responds "Oh, do you want to go fight that Griffon over there? You're welcome to try. You can even borrow my silver sword if you like! I'll just be standing over there, watching and laughing...:allears:"

It's a myth in-universe that witchers lose their personality because of the mutations, but even in the novels they declare its basically bullshit because all the witchers you meet have very different personalities. I remember some of geralt's wolf buddies being snarky.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

The fact you can skip that is such a crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

It doesn't really suppress their emotions. It's an urban legend that they've internalized because it makes life easier if they believe they can't form attachments.