Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver: Okay so the main gimmick about these games, apart from mad nostalgia props (being DS remakes of the first Pokemon generation I played,) is that you have the number 1 Pokemon in your party walking behind you at almost all times. You can turn around and talk to it too. They had a lot of fun with this feature, but it's oddly hard to find because you'll usually get a few generic messages. I was standing next to the pool in Misty's gym though, and saw "Is it doing warm-up exercises?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Persona 3 FES: If your teammates get critical hits sometimes they'll compliment or encourage each other. This is pretty generic for the most part but you do have a party member who is a dog, so it's possible to hear "Good boy! You deserve a treat!" :3:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Metro Last Light gives you the Developer Map, which basically just lets you dick around in ways that you couldn't during typical play. Want to try every weapon in the game? Here's a firing range. Want to check out the gross monsters in detail? Here's a gallery full of them. Eager to relive the glory days of monster infighting? There's an arena where you can set up brawls (this is a little disappointing though because the selection is limited.)

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Persona 3 FES: Aigis lost a little something in her transition from quirky sidekick to player character for "The Answer" extra campaign, but her amusingly weird running animation is even better when you're steering her around directly rather than having her follow you.

StandardVC10 has a new favorite as of 02:11 on Aug 4, 2014

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

carry on then posted:

Don't forget Blood Dragon's "Punch the reactor"

Also "grab Darling's package."

Borderlands 2 has some fun like this too, most evident in the "Shoot This Guy in the Face" mission.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Croccers posted:

I've never not shot him in the face. What happens if you don't? :ohdear:

The "Don't shoot him in the <body part>" objective check boxes will un-check as you shoot him in other body parts besides the face.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

biosterous posted:

It's a shame the story is balls, but the gameplay definitely makes up for it. Also the co-op campaign is tons of fun.

The co-op campaign is basically unfinished but it is pretty good fun regardless. Every now and again some of the banter actually gets a smile out of me - if you revive Leonard after he's downed sometimes he'll say something like "it was just a leg cramp."

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Metro Last Light: That phone call in the Khan section. "pick it up Artyom. I think it's for you!" So out of place, it shouldn't work at all, but I kind of like it, as a signal that the game is now on the way to Crazytown for the next level.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

In Persona 4's overworld map, which is styled like a satellite image of the town it takes place in, you can see these little suggestions of trains moving back and forth in one section.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Calaveron posted:

You are literally Celebrimbor, the guy who forged the other rings of power and you literally fight Sauron as the endboss

Oh dear now I know how this game ends. Does your dude's corpse get carried around on the end of a pike as Sauron's standard?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

CJacobs posted:

No, you kick his rear end and win actually. The "final boss" fight with him is actually like a 30 second qte encounter and it was a very disappointing ending to an otherwise almost fantastic game.

NOT CANON. :mad:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Wild T posted:

Every post I have in this thread seems to be about F.E.A.R., but goddammit...

Ironically this is what ruined the F.E.A.R. series' storyline for me. The first has you fighting through Armacham strongholds and offices, ultimately discovering a secret research facility built in a bunker underground to contain Alma. Along the way you find telephone messages from researchers, random employees and corporate executives arguing about how to deal with the situations leading up to the game. It's very mundane and organic and makes it feel like they're just your run-of-the-mill unscrupulous government defense contractor, struggling to run damage control for it's employees who blundered backwards into some freaky paranormal poo poo.

The sequel elevates Armacham into what is essentially the Umbrella Corporation. They own entire hospitals that are really secret research labs under Freeport to create super soldiers, secretly control the local elementary school because it's really secret research labs under Freeport to create super pyschics and have you struggling to reach a secret research lab under Freeport made to create super human psychics as the final goal of the game. It's very lazy and uninspired after creating what was, ironically, a very human company in the original game.

I agree with all of this. I liked the bit where you hear one guy desperately trying to paper over the clearly significant differences between Harlan Wade and Genevieve Aristide (two of the bigwigs.) Right after you hear an obscenity-laced tirade that Harlan left on Aristide's phone, you hear a message that starts "well, what I think Harlan was trying to say was…"

StandardVC10 has a new favorite as of 22:51 on Oct 8, 2014

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Persona 3: Starting a new game+ for the first time, I noticed that many of the background characters in the first few scenes of you walking home from school and visiting the mall are people you'll later make social links with or otherwise recognize down the road.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

You know what's great about Black Mesa? You can pick up most small ragdolls now and carry them around, and they still collide with the world. So you can totally clear minefields with headcrab carcasses!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

scarycave posted:

Catching Boo's never gets old.

I love their chuckling noises. Also there's one who says "My name makes no sense!"

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Fallout: New Vegas: At the Mojave outpost, there's a series of wood planks up to the roof of the barracks building where you can meet a quest giving NPC named Ranger Ghost. When you first talk to her she'll typically remark "Hmm, heard your footsteps on the planks coming up." That had been what I heard in my first however-many playthroughs of the game. But this time, my character had a higher than usual stealth stat, and she instead remarked with some admiration that I could move quietly and that she didn't hear me on my way to the roof of the building. Even after playing well over 1000 hours of New Vegas, I had no idea that alternate dialog existed.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I've never even watched Top Gun, and yeah. Just when you think the mission is done, SHIRTLESS GUYS.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Persona 3: In the alley next to Port Island Station there's a cat. I like how after you complete a mission to feed this cat, it inexplicably doubles in size.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

QuietLion posted:

I've been trying out Metro 2033 Redux and I've been loving the fact that I'm able to retrieve throwing knives since they're somewhat scarce. I've been loving even more that the creators put a reflective green strip on the handles of the knives, making it simple to find them in the darkness.

Other little touches I enjoy include having to be careful if you engage enemies on the surface, due to your gas mask being somewhat fragile. The mask also has to be cleaned off if an enemy splatters you with blood, and you have to manually replace filters every so often otherwise you suffocate. Between the mask being fragile, having to wipe off blood/replace filters in combat, and gas masks being rather rare but required, you're not able to Rambo everything and need to think before you engage enemies.

Also the few bugs I've encountered are hilarious and harmless. I've had windmilling limbs on dead soldiers, Snouts skidding on the ice past me and into rivers, and Daemons that land on invisible cars and chill as I stroll by.

Metro 2033 (non-Redux) had throwing knives that tended to bounce off enemy equipment (since all of their armor plates and spare clips hanging off their clothes were fully modeled.) Metro: Last Light's throwing knives don't do this, and are so deadly that they make silenced weapons essentially redundant save for shooting out lights. I feel like they could have found some kind of middle ground between those two extremes, but hey, I'll enjoy being a goddamn ninja in the meantime.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Gran Turismo 6: The trip computer at the center of the Volkswagen Golf R's gauge cluster is set to display fuel consumption - and it actually appears to change as you drive.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

MindlessHavok posted:

So then can you actually run out of gas?

I think there are some races that track fuel consumption (there certainly were in GT5) but most don't.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Persona 3: I like how you can see Tartarus in the distance when you're running along the monorail track in the first boss mission.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

One of the enemies from Persona Q (carrying over from 3 and 4) is a Hulk Hogan looking dude wearing nothing but a speedo. Sometimes when you enter combat with one Mitsuru will say "He's practically naked! THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!"

StandardVC10 has a new favorite as of 20:36 on Dec 11, 2014

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Persona Q: I like the deranged little giggle Chie makes when she dodges an enemy attack.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

My main problem with merchants in games is that they're not the merchant from RE4.

WELCOME!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

"Matálo!" is a pretty popular thing for the Ganado to say in the second and third acts ("kill him!")

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Leon Kennedy: Zombie survivor, secret service agent, badass, fishmonger.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

While we're on Resident Evil 4, there's a jump-scare towards the end where a burning Ganado runs at you from inside a furnace. Afterwards, you'll get the option to examine the furnace, where Leon will wonder "what was he doing in there?"

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Olaf The Stout posted:

I wish you could wear that jacket the whole game. In a category I'm surprised existed it is my favorite video game jacket ever.

Ulysses' Duster. :colbert:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I just started playing Pokemon Omega Ruby and in the first big city, you can go in a building where an "Ace Trainer" give you an item called the Float Stone, saying you probably can't use it as well as he can. What the Float Stone does is make the Pokemon holding it weigh less for the purposes of attacks that do damage based on the Pokemon's weight. So when you go into the next room and come back in, the Ace Trainer has been replaced by a much thicker and more heavyset Hiker, who wonders why he's gained all this weight suddenly.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Kennel posted:

Hah, just noticed that in Metal Gear Rising your tiny tripod robot tries to plug an USB cable wrong way and then turns it around.

Greatest ever achievement in video game realism.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Never played the original Deus Ex, were they also comically bad at stairs?

I don't remember, but I believe that most of the areas where you found them were flat.

e: also, play the original Deus Ex.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Dewgy posted:

The Deagle is fantastic too: http://youtu.be/zy4eHMrGIc8

Haha holy poo poo it even has a little "ta-dah!" noise.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Europa Universalis IV: I got an event relating to people being annoyed by military recruiters. One option offered is to ease up on recruiting for a while (regiments take longer to build,) while the other is labeled "I believe I asked for soldiers, not whiners." Made me chuckle.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Christina's COS Silencer Rifle with .308 AP rounds will one- or two-shot them even in Lonesome Road. :frogc00l:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

Having the "Lady Killer" perk allows you to flirt with a light switch in the Old World Blues DLC. Lots of puns about being "turned on".

You don't even need the perk to hear "hey, let's turn off the lights and then… turn on the lights."

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This guy is cheating. Also may be noclipping through the air to get that screenshot angle.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

MindlessHavok posted:

I once found a box that had "Gwen's Head" in it. I think your character yells "WHATS IN THE BOX?!?" But you also get an achievement for it. Can't remember where the hell I found it though.

It was during the Top Gun mission but I wasn't able to find it on other playthroughs.

I thought it was Handsome Jack that said that? Regardless, I found it near the connection point to Lynchwood, in the station where you have the shootout if you're doing the Clan War quests.

edit: the guy above me has a better explanation.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Black Mesa has its issues, but that scene during Forget about Freeman where the Xen flyers and Marine jets are wheeling overhead at sunset? Pretty bad rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Lord Lambeth posted:

That's a source engine thing, isn't it? Not exclusive to Black Mesa.

Not really. There are some places in the original Goldsrc Half-Life where a crouch-jump is required, but nowhere in HL2 or Portal.

(This was one aspect of Black Mesa that I wasn't really able to fix with .cfg changes. I did increase the Marines' reaction times slightly, increased the headshot damage multiplier, and increased the MP5 damage a bit, so you can take them on with a weapon besides the .357 magnum.)