Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Strategic Tea posted:

From some of the early interviews, Legion was meant to be stalking Shepard for a good while before you meet him. Like he was carrying out his mission, but as he became more individual he latched into it as the only identity he had. But then console memory limits imposed a stricter recruitment mission order, so they wrote him into the end of the game instead.

There's still leftovers from that as he has dialogue for missions you're either unlikely to take him to or it's flat-out impossible to take him to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I've been hearing the console memory thing for years but I have never once seen an actual source for it.

On the X-Box 360 the game is divided onto two discs which directly map to the point certain content becomes unavailable. It's pretty cut-and-dried. The 360's size limitations means they had to divide the content up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Wait so does that mean she was pregnant while I was beating the poo poo out of her during a boss fight?

No, the DLC retcons it. You find a billion other tests which are all fake. It was a false positve. (i.e: they decided not to use the idea after they started on the DLC.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Hopping on the Destiny train here.

Landing punches is incredibly satisfying. Seeing low-level badguys just crumple like the jerks they are hasn't gotten old yet.

Also, the music is some of the best space-opera music in a game since Mass Effect. It adds so much atmosphere.

Too bad they fired the guy for no reason.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

I assume it just monitors stuff like basic health signs and can tell if you have a broken bone or cuts etc. rather than an in-depth health analysis.

Nah, there's a scene where someone gets poisoned and it lowers for that too. It just doesn't make much sense.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

I'd always assumed that Shadows of Mordor was some silly grimdark Tolkien fanfiction that discarded one of the core themes of LoTR (small unimportant people can resist the temptations of power and do great things without having to revel in glory and battle). Is it still that, yet a good game? Or is it not that at all, and are you Literally Sauron?

It's still that but a good game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sad lions posted:

It's not likely to go away any time soon and you are going to be disappointed if you think AAA devs and publishers are going to ignore the trends that have brought them so much money in recent years.
I like how the industry looks right now though so I'm enjoying them more often than not.
I think people forget how horrible most games used to be.

Keeping to the thread topic:
The enemy marking system in MGS Ground Zeroes (and soon Phantom Pain) is an absolutely fantastic system that encourages doing a spot of recon before moving in.
Unlike other games that hand you a pair of binoculars that you end up never using this one allows you to see marked enemies through walls to make up for the lack of radar.
Of course you can still be surprised and turn a corner to find a guard whose patrol route was out of view from your vantage point but that's where the reflex ability will save you instead.
It's a neat system that rewards planning but also doesn't require perfection to get the whole stealth thing down.

Far Cry had a similar system.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

smuh posted:

I really like how the different chapters of Evil Within have separate "themes" and teach you about different things. I'm going to put the examples of what different chapters teach you in spoilers just in case: Chapters 2, 3 and 4 are about stealth and ammo conservation as well as use of matches; chapters 6 and I think most of 7 are about combat and crowd control, and chapter 9 (maybe 8 too, I forget) is about utilizing the environment itself to save health and ammo. It somehow makes the game a lot more memorable than most, even if its teachings come by the way of "figure it out or get hosed", with no hand holding.

Chapter 3 teaches you all those things though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Esroc posted:

I disagree. To me marking systems in any game make them way too easy. Especially in a series like MGS where half of the rush comes from being alert at all times because you never know where an enemy is at. Granted, I can just not use it and I don't, but the fact that it is there at all just seems like its kind of defeating the point of the game. I also hated the soliton radar in the previous games and turned it off the second the option was available. The only "helper" mechanic that I appreciated was the sound ring in MGS4 that helped give you directional awareness for noises that normal speakers cannot provide themselves.

I am doubly unimpressed with the reflex system. I don't want to be given a helping hand when I gently caress up and get discovered. I want to be punished with a hail of bullets for my mistake.

Ground Zeroes was amazing and has added a lot to the formula that the series desperately needed (wide open levels!). But it's also added a lot of hand-holding that I just don't appreciate.

So why not turn off the Reflex system? That's specifically an option in the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

Ugh, the more I see of this game, the more I think of not bothering to get another good Assassin's Creed game for my library and just going straight to SoM instead.

This would be a good choice.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I thought that, in an age of endless sequels and spinoffs, destroying the mass effect relays once and for all at the end was a refreshingly brave and bold choice rather than leaving the door open for more sequels.

So of course everybody complained about it and then they retconned it.

Well, as written, it literally killed most of the population of the galaxy either through starvation or because "the mass relay exploding kills everyone in the system" was a plot point, depending on how you read it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Flash grenades also instantly kill any ganados with exposed plagas parasites, which makes them way more useful than you'd expect.

This carries over to later games too. Flash Grenades are absurdly useful, arguably the best kind of grenades period besides maybe ice grenades.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Japanese version still has white blood though and it was specifically designed with that in mind. (Sam's cutscene doesn't make a ton of sense without it.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nekodoshi posted:

I liked how in the first Fable if you ate too much you got fat, and to thin out your character you had to eat a ton of celery.

I also like how each Final Fantasy game tries to include Biggs and Wedge as characters. The last time i remember seeing them was in Xii, where they had their names scrambled. Come to think of it, XII could have been amazing if the characters (outside of Fran and Balthier) hadnt sucked so hard.

Biggs and Wedge are in Lightning Returns too. You have a sidequest involving them running a monster-killing arena that gets out of control.

After you save them they become musicians who travel around playing a lovely version of Terra's Theme.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Evolve feels a bit content-light for $60, but not because it is DLC. It just... has a pretty small number of maps and environments. If they'd released it at $40 or even $20 and supplimented it with lots of cosmetic DLC it would probably be swallowed a lot better.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

This is the only reason I still own a PS3. I can't believe they haven't ported it to PC yet.

The reason is supposedly that RDR's code is a giant horrific mess and the job of fixing it for PC porting would be substantial enough to not be worth it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Assassins are increasingly being presented as well-meaning dicks who borderline on outright dangerous. The game is pretty clearly heading towards a 'split' where Templars and Assassins are stuck with a third protagonist-oriented party who wants to gently caress both of them up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

When a series spends several games pointing out how the Templar want to literally mind control the planet it seems a bit weak to suddenly swing back and say oh yeah the other guys are kinda dicks as well.

Nuance and ambiguity are not AC's strength.

Well, it's (to use another game example) Extreme Law vs Extreme Chaos. The Assassin philosophy is "everything is permitted" which is pro-freedom but pro-freedom can also go too far. (And these are guys who murder anyone who disagrees with them or who they're hired to kill.) It's not really a case of swapping back so much as both sides have dicks.

Nuance is however not Ac's strength at all, no.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sad lions posted:

But they are so go back to your corner, dum dum.

Edit: more politely, you didn't seem to have much issue with the earlier person who started with "I think we've all agreed..." which is ridiculously obnoxious but don't let your selective reading get in the way of your wailing.

You're still posting about it after going "but don't respond to my opinion!" Post about it in the thread for the game instead of making a weird aggressive comment and then tell people not to respond to it because that makes you look like a way bigger dick. Nobody cares about you defending a game's honor in this thread.

To get back on-topic:

The new Dragonball game has a whole bunch of ridiculous poses based off this minor set of villains in the show. There's a set of NPCs in the games lobby all posing together set up perfectly so your character can pose with them if you want. It's a cute touch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Grey Fox posted:

This was such a double-edged sword for me. After finishing the game and taking some time to reflect, I wonder if the game would've been better off just cutting those quests entirely. It seems really weird to me that you have a team of developers/writers working on missions that they themselves recognize to be rote/bullshit, yet they chose to devote resources to including them in game. It's basically saying "yeah, we don't like these kinds of quests either, but every loving AAA game has them so they must be important for some reason."

They're important because an uncommon number of people subscribe to "hours of game = value" no matter how many people claim they'd be happy otherwise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The new Final Fantasy mobile game has sprite versions of the non-sprite Final Fantasy characters.

Sazh's sprite looks fairly normal unless you look really closely at it.

That small patch of yellow in his hair?

Baby Chocobo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Another cool Witcher thing:

I was wandering through the forest and came across a bunch of corpses. Nearby I encountered MORE corpses kill by a Wyvern. Upon killing them Geralt noticed the second batch were soldiers and the first were prisoners and I got a quest to go a nearby encampment. There I discovered a Quartermaster who tried to give me a quest to find his missing soldiers. Geralt cut him off and instant angrily pointed out those soldiers had executed innocent prisoners. I could then still take the gold for the quest or tell him to go gently caress off.

It's just a nice touch that I could come at it from the other direction and have Geralt notice an atrocity and go get pissed off about it instead of needing the quest first.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I can appreciate a good rant, and I can appreciate this rant (in fact, thanks, even if you're accentuating the negative this all sounds like stuff I don't want in an Arkham game so I'll gladly skip it) but yeah, wrong thread.

It should be noted that this rant is about around 25 minutes of game time and dramatically accentuates certain things.

McDragon posted:

Also the flying feels better and it's real tough deciding if I want to drive or fly because both methods are great.

You actually haven't gotten to the real flying upgrades yet!

Anyway, a little thing about Arkham Knight:

There are a ton of mooks who have lines of dialogue specifically designed for you to interrupt just to be an rear end in a top hat. Guys who are like "Batman isn't around. Just watch, I'll prove it. HEY BATS! See? Nothing!" All of them are positioned so you can sneak up on them and be an rear end in a top hat when ambushing them, which is extra fun.

ImpAtom has a new favorite as of 17:41 on Jun 23, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

One of the great things about Arkham Knight is the GPD in general.

The Gotham Police Department is basically your home back. As you progress through the game it gets more and more filled. Guys you captured show up there, items you find are put there, and so-on. And almost all of it has dialogue. Supervillains you capture will bitch at each other, guys in the cages will chatter at Batman, and so-on. Some of it even seems game-sensitive. A friend of mine had mooks laughing about how they kicked his rear end in a fight while I never had it happen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Those are very nice touches but I wish it was more indicative of your playstyle. In Asylum, I did a lovely non-bat job of it and had a hosed up suit. Tried again as a perfect ninja with no deaths, still hosed up suit

All the damage is based off things that happen in cutscenes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ace Combat was really fun and I regret no longer having access to any of them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm replaying Parasite Eve 2 and a nice touch with the game is that the characterization is told largely through exploration. Aya comments on objects in the environment and you get her thoughts on the subject by what she says about them rather than over-lengthy cutscenes.

Also it is one of the only games I can think of where someone knocks on doors before they open them just in case someone is home.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Exit Strategy posted:

If you run at someone and punch them in Phantom Pain, you will sometimes hear the Bionic Man woosh.

It isn't sometimes. It is if you have the Bionic Arm subweapon equipped. :allears:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

Is there a way to resupply your stuff without calling one in? Like, I was on Mother Base a didn't really see any way to so I had to call for a supply drop. Just wondering if there's a cheaper way to do it.

You can find some stuff in the field but for supressors or fultons nope you gotta call it in.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

One nice thing I've noticed (or at least I've noticed) is this:

Guards in the game recognize the Fulton Balloons you use to extract defeated enemies. They'll report on them, talk about them, ect.

The final Fulton Balloon upgrade transforms them into a wormhole that sucks up enemies. When using this enemies seem to just report on seeing 'something strange' or 'something to check out' as opposed to just using the default balloon dialogue.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arx Monolith posted:

Are the upgrade times really so bad as to need to buy in-game coins to speed them up?

Nope. The absolute worst upgrade time I had was 2 hours and I literally just left the console running when I did chores.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vic posted:

At one point you're going to fight the man on fire (this is no spoiler shut up) and when you try to fulton him and succeed, he goes up and Ocelot goes "He burned the ropes, thank god"

I wonder what happens if you use the wormhole fulton on a replay.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

The game does a terrible job of explaining that and doesn't point them out until you activate one, weirdly.

Huh. Ocelot called me up and told me about them in an early mission.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

I want to say Hulk: Ultimate Destruction had a count of how much damage you did. God I wish they'd make another one of those. I've mentioned it before in this thread but it is top tier as far as superhero games go. Hell, freeroaming games in general. Elbow dropping tanks and knocking down buildings.

Superman Returns was a lovely game but I loved the flying mechanics about it. Mainly because if you got up high and got up enough speed you'd break the sound barrier and create a sonic boom.

Superman Returns had really fun flying mechanics. It was the thing that carried me through the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arstan posted:

Infamous 1 does not hold up very well. Infamous 2 and Second Son/First Light are super great, though.

The Captain America game from a few years ago, Captain America: Super Soldier, is pretty underrated. The combat is very Arkham-like, but they do a great job of adapting it to the character. And (unlike pretty much every other Marvel game) they got the voices and likenesses of the actors from the film. It even serves as a neat side story to the film, giving some quality time to untapped villains like Baron Strucker and Madame Hydra.

A little thing I really love is how the game lets you know an enemy is still in the fight. As long as their helmet is still on, they'll keep coming, but once their helmet falls off, you know they're out for good.

Captain America: SS is one of the better Arkham combat clones. It's mostly the non-combat stuff that is weak. It's still pretty fun to play and it actually has better boss fights than the Arkham games and a pretty good way of handling ranged enemies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JPrime posted:

This thread is making me want to get MGS5. If I've literally never played any of them before (I might have played the original Metal Gear on the NES way back when), will I be lost?

For content, I picked up Dragon Age: Inquisition, and having Varric hurry up and finish writing the next book of his romance novels for Cassandra was awesome. So many great interactions so far in this game.

You'll be a little lost but there's a self-contained story which amounts to "kill the rear end in a top hat with the spooky face" and the meta-story is convoluted enough that even fans kinda don't get it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chinaman7000 posted:

My favorite little thing about MGS5 are the anime posters all over my base. I keep ripping them down but they keep coming back! Goddamnit, soldiers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So the new Shovel Knight expansion came out today and it includes a new boss fight:

Shovel Knight, who has all his abilities from when you play as him. When you defeat him... he wakes up, collects his dropped gold and then hits you and wins the stage. :allears:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FauxGateau posted:

loving amazing. That's how you do a video game.

You also unlock the ability to go and see the Tropple King later in the game. In addition to giving you unlocks he teaches Plague Knight how to dance. you can press Down at any point to dance.

If you try to dance in front of Mona, who Plague Knight has a crush on, he instead just adopts an embarrassed bashful pose and refuses to dance.

The Plague Knight DLC is legit better than most full games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

So you want women to overcome systematic oppression by pulling themselves up by their bootstraps, huh :rolleyes:

Flaming Buffalo did it despite her crippling asthma.