Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

It took me a while to figure out how power works in settlements, and I'm still not entirely sure I've got it completely, but I managed to stick a disco ball over the top of my Power Armor crafting thing.

Also with the Power Armor, I like that it changes all the HUD and stuff, and getting rid of fall damage is just great. It's a pain having to get out to do lots of things though so I tend to leave it at home so far and save it for big fortified locations. It is tremendously good fun though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

So apparently the dog has access to some bag of holding or something, because I've taken to making him carry a bunch of poo poo when I've got too much stuff after a raid and up to now he's never filled it. And a missile launcher, just in case. Also his teddy. :3:

And there was some spooky town I was exploring, I think probably before I was supposed to because it's all the way out west. Anyway, I was sneaking around and heard banging, so I laid in wait to see what it was. It was a Deathclaw. So I ran the gently caress away, but remembered there was a little base of raiders nearby. So I shot him and lured him to the raiders, and ran away again. A bit later on I meet him again and he has a tiny amount of health so I finish him off with a couple of molotovs, and apparently he was the only enemy in the area so I got to explore in peace. There were some nice things.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Speaking of naming things in Fallout 4, how are you supposed to find out that Dogmeat's name is Dogmeat? I did a mission and halfway through my character just started calling him Dogmeat like he'd always been called that. I don't think that's how it's meant to work

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Fatman Critical Strikes in VATS. The camera follows the drat nuke as it unerringly flies towards the target, some poor bastard's face.

Critical Strikes in general, they loving rule.

Also I was clearing out a settlement when I realised I'd lost Dogmeat. He turned up inside a locked house. He has no idea how to use his wizard powers.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I love it when Fallout goes all goofy and silly like that.

Also that reminds me, I managed to blow both arms off a Glowing One and he just came and flailed at me with his legs and head. Reminded me of the Flood in the first Halo, you could blast off their arms and they'd just follow you around looking awkward.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Bloodborne. It got some new DLC this week that added some amazing new weapons. First, the Whirligig Saw. It's a club you put a circular saw on and then hack werewolves and cosmic horrors to death with. It is my new favourite video game weapon right now.

Second, the Moonlight Blade, or something like that. Turns up in a lot of Fromsoft games. Usually it's huge and glows bright blue/green. It looks kind of dull in this one. Until you power it up and it does the usual glowing and shooting of anime lasers. It's been great in every game I've had it in, and Bloodborne is no exception. I'm glad it finally arrived.

Third, there's an enemy in the base game you fight as a boss. It tears off its own arms to fight you with. You can get one of these arms to use as a weapon now.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I need to get back into RFG now I should be able to play it with a consistent framerate. It was worth persevering with even with the odd times it turned into a slideshow, so it should be nice now. Think I'd just got some gun that disintegrates things. I was going through very slowly though, spending lots of time just wrecking things like an rear end in a top hat.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, I always have to try the flamethrower in a video game, just in case it turns out to be the legendary Video Game in Which the Flamethrower is Useful. It never is though.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well clearly I have just never come across the games with good flamethrowers. Now I have a nice list, so thanks everybody.

Digirat posted:

The best game flamethrower is in dragon's dogma, where you just light yourself on fire and cling to things like a cockroach from hell.

Also how did I forget about this, I spent ages having fun with that.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

theshim posted:

Radiant Historia was a really good game, yo.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go set fire to my own city.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Flame Tag was great as well. And Virus. Especially when you made everyone snowmen. "I'm meeelting!"

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I really like that Overwatch lets you customize the controls for every character separately. Some even have special options for their more unique skills.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Whenever they get me, I always realize a split second before they go off and I can never get mad because it's always my fault. It's like the bit with the rocket in Toy Story I guess. "I just lit a Junkrat. Junkrats explode!"

That POTG is wonderful.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I really have to get on and start the Last Guardian before I get spoiled on anything. From what I hear it sounds like Trico is a bit like Agro, in that sometimes he does his own thing or ignores you if you are an rear end to him? I always found that neat in SOTC, even when it was annoying.

FFXV too, I need to start that. It is weird having to decide between Final Fantasy XV and The Last Guardian. And I'm still hooked on Pokemon Moon.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

There's a taunt in Nier Automata. You do it by flashing your light repeatedly in an enemies' face. Game is absolutely packed full of little things that rule, but it's also nailed all the big things so far. Definitely one of those games that escalates. You go "oh, they won't top that" and then they do, repeatedly. Oh, and the music rules. Been off videogames much more complex than mobile stuff for a while, but this one has me hooked.

Fishing is cool too. 2B teleports a stool in to sit on while the little robot pod does the actual fishing. Also half the fish are robots. The robot fish are part of the alien's machinations to wipe out humanity. Also one of the fishing spots is an oil field.

The sidequests are loving phenomenal though. Die Romeo, thou rear end in a top hat. Pisseth off.

John Murdoch posted:

Everything about BJ's character was phenomenal. Makes me really glad that we're out of that awful post-Half-Life period where just about every shooter had a stoic, if not totally mute, protagonist.

Doomguy in the latest Doom is good. You'd think he would be one of those and he is, but then all his characterisation comes from his actions and it just works. Shame most of the other characters are just there to talk at him but it does also mean his character gets shown off more.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Darksiders had some great voice actors. They were both pretty fun but 2 was definitely moreso. Just felt a bit nicer to control. The horses were cool in both. I have to mention the names of the remakes though. The Warmastered and Deathinitive editions, I think?

Nuebot posted:

You could fish in a desert in the first game. I miss Weiss already :negative:

They didn't bring back the vase sidequest did they?

Haven't come across anything exactly like that yet, but there's been one or two bits with the same sort of gently caress you attitude. But like in a nice way? So it gives you some annoying task but then is so funny about it you end up forgiving it.

And there's a bunch of neat references to the first game scattered about. And Weapon Stories are in too.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I only got Breath of the Wild a week ago so I'm behind, but I like that you can feed horses and dogs and probably other things too. Also Hestu, I like him because he is a big treebaby with maracas.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I never played much of Vanquish, but I liked what I played. I'd buy the heck out of a pc port.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh I just remembered something I loved in Crackdown, the Agency cars transforming when you improved your driving skill. That was a cool thing I wish they'd kept in 2.

I like games like that where you're much more efficient on foot but they still give you a reason to use cars sometimes. Especially when the reason is its just as fun

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The sound design on Tokyo Jungle was some good poo poo.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

So at the end of the second Breath of the Wild DLC you get a loving dirtbike. It is exactly as rad as it sounds.

You can do donuts in the Great Deku Tree's head. Or whatever the bike equivalent is. Among other things. Basically Link can be a dick all over Hyrule, even more than he could before.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

crash was my first ever tv console game so it will always be special but it was rough and I was never very good at it. 2 and 3 though, those are great. If 3 had the jetpack levels rather than the underwater ones and there were a couple of levels with the polar bear it would definitely be the best

also Perfect Dark setting all the weapons to n-bombs and max sims and making the game wig out

Quote-Unquote posted:

In Monster Hunter World, normally when you finish a hunt your guy wipes the sweat off his brow and smiles.
After one hunt last night, instead of that animation my guy knelt down and fed a sausage to his little cat friend, who did a little happy dance :3:

sometimes you do a fist-bump :kimchi:

food court bailiff posted:

Crash Team Racing is the best kart racing game to this day.

Also this.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The Farsight was great. And the Laptop Gun, and the Dragon. And the Mauler and the Reaper. gently caress Perfect Dark had some of the most fun FPS weapons ever. It even had the Klobb and some ridiculous submachine gun with the ability to empty the entire ammo with one press.

And all the sim personalities.

Ugh, just get some old devs in to make Imperfect Twilight and bang it on the Switch already

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Cyclone is the SMG you're thinking of. Using it with infinite ammo is insanely fun, because the clip never ends :supaburn:.

That's the one. Man, even the names were good.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh I have to get back to Okami again. Got very far in the original, got the PS3 remake but never got round to it, did a bit of the PS4 version and it is a lovely redoing.

Also the load screen minigames now seem to always wait long enough for you to get the fang if you try for it which is nice. I don't remember what they are for but it was something useful I think

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ha, wondered what my first Steam game was and realized I already knew before looking. Half Life 2. Hell, I got that in a case. It's still somewhere in this room even.

Aw, kinda wish I could see what the first not HL2 thing I got was now.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The new Jurassic World Evolution game is pretty neat. It's a park sim and so you have your usual advisers. And also Ian Malcolm, who reminds you as often as possible that this is all a terrible idea and you're going to regret it.

Oh, and your dinos all have individual stat tracking, including how many people they've killed.

Also you can drive around in a jeep like an rear end in a top hat annoying dinosaurs. And a helicopter I guess.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

West of Loathing sounds like it has exactly the same humour as Kingdom of Loathing (well, you'd expect that I guess) and I keep meaning to get it. Sounds like a treat once I get round to it though.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

They finally surpassed it. The absolute madmen.

Aha, I thought that sounded familiar!

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

well I missed mooglechat but the best ones are Mog from VI since he's a loving dancing dragoon, and then the ones from IX

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

that's a good way to gently caress up your sack

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

for the longest time I thought this was what real tasers were like.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I was bad at save scumming in Valkyria Chronicles, for character death at least. But I did have to let one person die because it happened on one of the mega-tank levels that was giving me far too much grief just after I finally beat a hard part. And in a "fun" coincidence with something other people have mentioned in VC in this thread, it was Vyse. Now I haven't actually played the game he's from but he looked cool so it was still a downer.

Also the best Sim Killing was covering everything in rugs and then setting off one of those fireworks on top.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

BioEnchanted have you ever played that PS1 game with the muppets as monsters? I seem to remember having a demo of it that made it seem neat.

Also Monsters Inc Scare Island which I presume did not age well but I played the poo poo out of it back in the day. And the Bug's Life one. I played quite a few dumb licensed PS1 platformers, thinking about it

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

For the first point, did you mean Creatures? I messed with that one on a demo but never had the actual game.

Something else I think.

Dr Snofeld posted:

There was a literal Muppets game where AFAIK the premise was that most of them were turned into Hollywood monsters like Frankensteins n poo poo and Robin the Small Frog had to 3D platform his way to save them. I think I played the demo once.

Yeah, I think that's the one I was thinking of.

Also ha, there's a duck button in a game about birds, nice

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Len posted:

With the PS4 it takes screenshots when you get a trophy so a lot of them are just black screens with a trophy popup in the corner.

I have a wonderful screenshot from Bloodborne of just booking it away from some monster while the trophy was some boring thing like picking up an item.

And a whole lot of random menu screens for a bunch. And having the gesture window open after a boss fight trying to thank people who helped.

Sometimes you get a really well timed one though and those are great too,

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Been playing a bit of Reus recently. It's good stuff. Basically it's a God Game where you have these four (adorable) elemental giants and you use their powers to make resources, and then villages get settled and things. There's all sorts of attributes and the like you can add to resources to change them. And if you give them too much they get greedy and start wars and fighting you.

So sometimes you have to punish them a bit. The neat thing I like is that you can be obvious and go punch their village apart to teach them a lesson, or you can do more subtle things like making the ocean next to them full of dangerous fish so they have other things to worry about. Anyway, the upshot is I stopped a war by filling the sea with sea bass and then filling them full of danger magic. And another time I made some wolves so scary that the villagers next door panicked and started burning their village down. So I had to tone down those wolves a bit.

Anyway, its a fun game but a bit frantic unless you go for free play

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Spider-Man looks great. Hopefully will get to try it out today.

Sunswipe posted:

You haven't lived until you've spinning piledrivered a goon off the Empire State Building.

Prototype let you do that disguised as a granny. If a game lets you climb the Empire State Building and not powerbomb somebody off it, that game has issues.

Ugh, Prototype ruled. Someone slap some Venom paint on a new Prototype and give us that please. Or just new Prototype, whatevs

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Spider-Man is a game that is gonna come up in this thread quite a bit. It oozes neat little details

Bussamove posted:

Arachnid-related, the web swinging in Spider-Man is so drat good. I spent an afternoon today just clearing out Ll the backpacks and landmarks because I was having so much fun zipping around New York.

I also love that pretty much every Marvel-related building is in the game. Except the Baxter Building.

That's basically my exact progress. I've only played it once so far but it was a long session and I ended up getting every tower and backpack and landmark and I had to tear myself away because it does "just do this last thing it'll be fun" so very well.

I really like that you get different sound effects for running up buildings. It's normal most of the time but running up glass makes a hilarious squeaking sound. Also good, there are some buildings with Very Big Windows. And that you can do precision web swinging and gracefully zip about or you can point Spidey in the right direction and just hammer R2 and X and you'll still get there.

Also also one of the powers sends out a bunch of decoys and they all start arguing over who is the real Spider-Man until one of them says "see, this is why we Don't Do Clones"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

In Hitman 2, which spruces up the levels from Hitman 2016, they made a crucial change to one guy's model: he's the dude in the kitchen who is used for the "silently KO this dude and steal his uniform" tutorial.

... He now has a giant bandage on his head. Mostly padded in the area where 47 whacks him in the head with the wrench that's lying conveniently nearby.

...... I noticed this because I was doing an escalation and kept KOing him for his uniform and the free wrench and knife...

I watched a stream of it where the streamer knocked a chef out by throwing a fish at his head and five minutes later I was ordering a copy