Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Galick posted:

This isn't exactly a little thing, but I just started playing The World Ends With You today. And oh my god this soundtrack is phenomenal. :allears:

While we're at it, one of the great little things about TWEWY is the fact that there are multiple tracks for everything, something like 10+ battle songs and five or six overworld themes, so you don't get sick of them after playing the game for as obnoxiously long as I did. Also it lets you select any music track you've collected and use it as the menu theme. (Also I love the game's style, I can't think of many JRPGs with a modern urban setting like that, but I don't know if 'an entire game's aesthetic' counts as a little thing.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

sticklefifer posted:

While I love this narrative style, it also means that several times when telling his story, he said to her "...and then I fell into a spike pit and died permanently because I had no more sand left. Wait no, that didn't happen." No wonder she thinks he's a loon.

I figure it's a combination of him being so confused from time-rewinding all those deaths, and from her jumping the gun and interrupting whenever he describes something dangerous.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

SinineSiil posted:

Is there a video that shows this?

Right here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYJLf-sptU4
The part where the Boss is in disguise starts at 1:55.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Alabaster White posted:

Isn't one of the endings to just go "gently caress the consequences lol" and will yourself and the final boss out of existence, or am I misremembering?

I'm not sure about the final boss specifically, but there's party member you can literally argue out of existence (he's a ghost so it's easier but frankly it's still quite impressive) There's also an NPC you create by using the same fake name so often that a real (well, "real". You know what I mean) person with that name materializes. I'm pretty sure if you then tell him that he's a figment of everyone else's imagination, he has an existential crisis so hard he dies stops being real. There's also a sequence where you have the option to commit suicide for what boils down to solving a philosophical debate. You win that debate pretty hard. Planescape is a weird game.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think MM3D is superior, some people have mixed feelings about it. Zora swimming does need magic for full dolphin-barrel action but I am 90% less likely to smash my face into obstacles, and keeping the magic meter up is fairly trivial. All the bosses were altered slightly and I think it's fine. It uses real saves instead of only saving when you go back in time, which is less satisfying from an atmospheric standpoint but less frustrating if you gently caress up sidequest timing and frankly a crucial change for a handheld, I think. Better framerate and smoother controls make Goron Rolling even more fantastic than it usually is. Also it added fishing, which I spent hours on in OOT and appreciate having back. Also the game is flipping gorgeous. The notebook is more intrusive, which is slightly annoying, but it's also tracking a which heart pieces I do/don't have and MM has a million of those so I don't mind knowing which ones I need.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
So I'm training up a wild horse I found in BOTW when I find one of those shrines where you can put down fruit for Koroks? Well I finish putting down apples, and when no Korok comes out I turn around and my horse is eating all the offerings behind me.

Also my favorite little things from Supergiant Games: whenever there's a vocal track, it's because someone, in-game, is explicitly singing to you. I was so loving pumped when the minstrel appeared in Pyre, not because he was a mystery guy previously in a coma, about to reveal Deep Plot poo poo. I was pumped because that Minstrel had a lute and I was about to be loving serenaded. Then when Celeste appears I knew I was in for a duet!

YggiDee has a new favorite as of 03:09 on Apr 29, 2019

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Simon Blackquill was on Death Row though, I think?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
In DQIX I can not only pet dogs but I can also pet horses! Actually there's a lot of critters to interact with and cats all give this really tiny meow and it's adorable.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Just Offscreen posted:

I remember a fancomic that had her only communicating through sign language because she was raised by bird people who didnt have vocal chords. That was nice.

It's over here https://plintoon.tumblr.com/post/137408356282/samus-and-phasma-i-spent-way-too-long-figuring

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Well, Botw would still give quest markers and let you put up your own map pips and beacons. However, you can just turn off most of the HUD, including the map, and wandering around is a lot of fun that way.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think that one is Shadow Hearts: Covenant, I believe. You collect 'Stud Cards' for a guy who makes equipment for your marionette party member.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Goon Projects seem to work when it's a single person's project to which their Gokn status is incidental, and everyone else gets to only yell out the occasional advice and then not touch anything. See also the Let's Play Archive, which is (as far as I know) exclusively run by Baldurk.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I can only enjoy media that isn't internally consistent.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Randalor posted:

How does your headcanon explain the lack of oceans? Honest question.

One half of the planet has dry Mad-Max apocalypse, the other half of the planet has wet apocalypse. Ever play The Flame and the Flood? That's what's going on.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I thought Final Fantasy X had a scene where the characters grind on massive chains but it turns out they're massive steel cables. Are cables okay?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I've been playing Sam & Max Save The World Remastered, and I like how Max is always wandering around and poking at stuff and casually making armpit noises while Sam is trying to figure out The Problem of The Day. First, because I have played many games where your sidekick is glued to your sides at all times and it's nice to see Max noodle off to his own devices, and second because it's interesting to see what my raging ADHD probably looks like from the outside. Oh and also whenever Sam and Max are about to collide, Sam casually flings Max offscreen. And I appreciate that because I also have played many games where I get temporarily stuck because an NPC just decides to trap me behind a table or stand in front of the treasure or w/e. And he doesn't even break stride, it's just a casual part of his day to slap Max fifty feet into the air and Max is clearly having the time of his fuzzy little life.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I ride a horse if I want to chill out and see the landscape, I ride the motorcycle if I just wanna get from point A to point B.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You should have five horses at all times. A fast horse to outrun the Lynel you pissed off, an all-rounder to explore with, the Giant Horse to function as a living tank, the White Horse so Zelda has something to ride, and one gentle horse with a flower mane because it's good to have one animal that isn't an rear end in a top hat.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Zelda has the White Horse in cutscenes, and it's a 'wild' personality type.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Neddy Seagoon posted:

To be fair, Kaiden totally seems like the kind of guy that would act like you were dating just because you were nice to him once.

I always hand him the hot potato on Virmire because he's just so boring as a character compared to Ash.

I got Kaiden killed because it seemed like the best way to escape his 'romance'. Like, dude, I asked about your backstory, that doesn't mean I wanna kiss you. Also I'm your superior officer or something.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Either something like Amnesia which is all about the atmospheric horror and ideally played in a sensory deprivation chamber, or something like Overcooked or Mario Party, which are multiplayer games dedicated to destroying your relationships forever.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Cleretic posted:

The introduction of God Mode is a good addition to Hades, although the fact that it's only something you can turn on at the start means it's only really good if you know from the outset that you only want the story.

It's not really an option for someone like me, who just went 'gently caress this' after scraping together two victories.

You can turn God Mode on and off any time, I think even in the middle of a run.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I like motion controls for gyro aiming and that's more or less it

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The apex of gyro controls was Ocarina of Time on the 3DS, fighting Phantom Ganon in a spinny office chair.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Okay, so Dragon Quest VII's basic premise has a shitton of time travel, where you're going to the past, stopping the volcano/curse/monsters/etc and then returning to the present so you can party with the no-longer-dead locals. During one of these incidents the High Priest promises to spend his life developing the ultimate support magic. If you go to the present and visit the High Priest's grave, you'll find out he's done exactly that and get The Great Leveler, a spell which knocks out most of an enemies' buffs. Now you can end it there, but the fun part is that you can go back to the past, speak to the High Priest again, show him The Great Leveler, and tell him it's not good enough. Now if you return to the present and visit this guy's grave again, he has made an improved version of the same magic, which strips all buffs from everyone and disables magic for two turns. This is probably kinda long for "little things in games" but the core premise of telling a man that his life's work sucks and he needs to do it better this time amuses me greatly.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

The Lone Badger posted:

It kinda already does if I'm reading it right. The first version strips most buffs from enemies. The second version strips all buffs from everyone.

The second version of the spell is probably more situationally useful than the first, but sometimes you need a panic button.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Also Hades came out Sept 2020 so it's barely a year old.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think Triforce heroes had a little "cheering with pompoms" emote and it was applied equally to solving puzzles or to falling off a cliff.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The Aurora reactor will eventually explode and irradiate the area around it permanently if you don't go in and stabilize it,, and iirc will lock you out of the Prawn schematic.

The explosion is a fixed event that happens five days after starting a new game, and you can't enter the Aurora before the explosion tears it open. You're given the schematics for a radiation suit soon after.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
1) You can re-enable most emergency beacons on your PDA after you've visited them so you can still use them to find your way.
2) Keep track of the plants to figure out what biome you're in,
3) Your life pod is about right in the middle of the map, and the base map is 4km by a 4km,
4) So if you're more than 2km away from your life pod (horizontally) you're probably near the edges of the map.
5) Don't go past the edge of the map

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Is the Witcher series the only good book -> video game adaptation?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
All i remember from Sleeping Dogs' combat is the one time a combat tutorial glitched out on me so I spent probably ten minutes 'practising' an attack before it let continue. This attack was, unfortunately, the Leg Breaker. And of course in Sleeping Dogs you're learning new combos in a dojo, with students of your old master and none of those poor fuckers deserved to have their femurs snapped for ten minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWvXEBmoxVQ

It was like that but it just kept going.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Zil posted:

So you think spiderman has ever accidentally webbed up his dick? That would be a rough two hours.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Final Fantasy XIV comes up with some very silly excuses for gameplay conventions, and I find them very charming. For example, the ultra-hard versions of regular boss fights are framed as a wandering minstrel (modeled after the game's producer) reciting the tales of your heroism and ...embellishing a little.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

RareAcumen posted:

I only played the DS version but IV also has the same option for you.

The wedding vows in Dragon Quest V aren't "til death do you part" but for long as you both can be resurrected by the church.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Also the difficulty "slider" in Kid Icarus was delightful, a skull-faced cauldron that got more evil and on fire as you filled it with hearts.

Another difficulty system I really liked was the one used in The World Ends With You, where difficulty (enemy stats and attack patterns) determined what items the enemy dropped, and a separate slider reduced your maximum HP, and increased the drop rate. The drop rate could also be increased by chaining consecutive fights. So you'd run into situations where you either lose 90% of your max HP to guarantee a rare drop from a boss, or you chain eight fights in a row before the boss, or you can get it at a higher drop rate from another monster on a higher difficulty.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
If it still works like BOTW, nothing can save you from icy water, and not being frozen by ice chuchus is only from the "unfreezable" buff

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Isn't Jenova literally a space alien that crashes into the planet and cause problems???

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
And there's Ultima which is a sword-and-sorcery series except when you defeat an evil computer with punch cards, or go to Mars. There's the Pern books which start out as a feudal fantasy setting with magic dragons, but its thousands of years in the future and the magic dragons were genetically engineered by the humans that settled on the planet. There's a whole range between Sci-Fi and fantasy, and in tabletop RPGs there's poo poo like Spelljammer, Shadowrun, Warhammer (both kinds) I think the biggest difference is whether you call your weird power "psychic" or "magic"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Final Fantasy IV: Aliens lived on a planet between Mars and Jupiter until it exploded and they all came to Earth, but it was occupied so they made a second moon and are in suspended animation until the two species can co-exist

Final Fantasy V: Intedimensional travel is done by teleportation pads hidden in meteorites

FFVI: To the best of my knowledge, no aliens?

FFVII: Jenova is literally an alien literally from space

FFVIII: Monsters live on the moon and also "magic" had been replicated with modern technology and also what the gently caress are GFs anyway. Also there's an alien named PuPu who is very very lost