Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

I liked how Morrowind let you know about the crazy magic system. Walking in the middle of nowhere you hear a scream and an npc splats to death in front of you. Search the body and you find an enchanted item with +1000 or something to the jumping skill. Athletics? Of course I immediately used it and died the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

A little thing in FFXI I liked was the tab-complete system for game terms and common phrases in chat, which also served as rough translation since all servers were cross-regional. I've always wondered why that isn't used elsewhere. Probably patents.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

There was also the missile launcher, with fly by wire or homing settings. The homing missile moved at character speed, so it was hard to hit someone paying attention. One time my brother noticed it at the last second and started furiously backpedaling. For some thirty seconds he's just running in a circle from this missile an inch away from his face because he couldn't see where to go. It finally hit when he tried to turn around.

And then I tried the wire missile. Flew around half the level before I came up behind him camping something. Punched the speed up, and... whoops just blew my own head off.

PD had amazing weapons.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Just before the last act of Transistor the combat was getting tedious. As much as I loved the presentation, I was considering stopping. Then this perfectly smarmy douche starts radioing you (heavy spoilers): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DviyuGNeWc
And then I knew I wouldn't be able to quit playing until I got the chance to hit that guy. Probably my favorite antagonist voice acting in a game.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

A neat little touch in Black Desert Online is that guild membership has an actual contract.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Weirdest part of the warframe f2p is that they have a random chance to get a -75% coupon. So I decided I wouldn't buy currency until I got that coupon. Except I never did, over several extended stints playing the game. Shame because I would have bought a buttload of slots.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

In The Long Journey Home you can talk with aliens you meet about a variety of topics, including all the other aliens you've met. One exchange with a pair of religious pilgrims tickled me the right way.

quote:

Talk -> Humans
"Why are you asking us about Humans? Are you not humans?"
"How strange. You'd think they'd be the experts."
"Perhaps they have heard tell of our wisdom, and so seek our validation?"
"I suppose that is a valid hypothesis.
DO NOT WORRY, HUMANS. YOU ARE DOING VERY, VERY WELL."

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Browsing through the 3DS sales I found out there's a sequel series to the DS game Air Traffic Chaos, with amusing title "I am an air traffic controller Airport Hero".

They moved to be slightly more sim and only have one airport per game, but add a lot of features. The more realistic approach lanes and airport scale mean more waiting but it adds a lot. The best upgrade is getting a choice of taxiing routes to and from the runway and being able to tell a plane to stop moving if you got the timing wrong. It seems you also aren't penalized for go-arounds.

The Osaka one has a story mode that throws a lot of weird situations at you, culminating in a mission where a lightning strike disables your radar and external camera views, leaving just the tower view and ground map view.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Kiwami is good though. If inconsistently paced.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

I'm glad they put in that "you should really finish these three opportunities before going to the next level" screen. Kept me exploring.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Seemed a relevant source for some of the Samus-chat:

So in the SM timeframe Varia-suit Samus is 1.9m tall.
And Kraid is HUGE.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

AI: The Somnium Files is a good enough game on its own, but there is also an insane amount of dialog and characterization in just looking around the rooms and examining things. Aiba's bug-spotting and brick jokes, Boss's innuendoes, everything in the idol office, and the huge number of baffling pun games from every character.

Also Mizuki says trans rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Randalor posted:

It's been awhile since I played the Nonary games, are they playable on a convenient modern-day format like PS4/5 or PC?
Steam, GamePass, and PS4.