Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I picked up The Bureau XCOM Declassified in the steam sale and I expected a terrible game based on everything I'd heard about it. Instead I have a campy shooter about 'Merica :911: fighting aliens during the Cold War.

One of my favorite things is that this underground base has a permanent haze near the ceiling because everyone smokes.

And I just got out of a cutscene where Agent Carter told an alien that his race can come live in 'Merica :911: Land of the Free if he helps out XCOM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Not overly surprised gamers freaked out over literally nothing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I guess I got lucky because through the dozen or so GFWL games I've played I never had a single issue making it work so I've never understood all the rage people have for it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Probably a dumb question but did any of you who had problems use an xbox live account? I've always used mine and it's given me zero grief.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

God Hand has a Roulette Move (Special Moves) called the Ball Buster. It does not disappoint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTiX1Fler90

Trying it on a female enemy, however, just results in nothing happening when it connects.

Trying it on the bosses Mr. Gold and Mr. Silver results in them laughing at you I believe.

Edit: My bad it isn't to both, only Mr. Silver who lost his balls in a war or something? http://godhandcapcom.wikia.com/wiki/Mr._Gold_%26_Mr._Silver

Len has a new favorite as of 19:20 on Sep 30, 2014

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The game sounds like fun but I don't want to gamble that it's more than just the current goon flavor of the month. I'm definitely keeping an eye on it though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

scarycave posted:

In SSB4, so uh, that thing that happened in the final fight of classic mode on 7 intensity. That was unexpected.

Spoilers for those of us who don't have the game?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Stelio Kontos posted:

There's a button in SSB4 that makes Kirby wave at the camera and cheerily shout "Hi!!!".

That is all.

Hasn't that been in every SSB?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Urdnot Fire posted:

The PS3 version isn't out yet, but apparently the Nemesis system (what everyone's talking about here) will be neutered in it.

How about the 360 version? Is it gimped?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Babe Magnet posted:

The game will not be good without the Nemesis System. There's nothing in the combat, the light RPG mechanics, the stealth gameplay, or the story that makes it stand out. At best, it will be incredibly average.

Buying the 360 or the PS3 version is buying the inferior version of the game.

And that's why it's in a game fly queue. Well that and I'm still convinced in a week these forums will have moved on to another game and it's just so prominent because it's the flavor of the month.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Lotish posted:

This is why I thought the "HE'S SUCKING THE BLOOD BACK INTO HIS WOUNDS!" complaints people had about Healing Surges in DnD 4e were dumb as hell.

Nothing in DnD needs to make sense anyway because the answer to literally every question is "a wizard did it"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Chinaman7000 posted:

Who taught the first wizard how to use magic?

A time traveling Elminster.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jehde posted:

I miss when this thread was about little things, where I could post and read tidbits found in random games and not have it drowned out by "This orc keeps killing me!" ad nauseum. The nemesis system, combat, stealth, and parkour of Shadow of Morder are not little things. There have been a few legit little things from Shadow of Mordor that have been pointed out long ago, but now this has just become another Shadow of Mordor circlejerk thread. Is Shadow of Mordor the new Dark Souls?

It is indeed the new goon Flavor of the Week.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's been three weeks since the last time you said this.

Has there been any new major release since then? Figure once Far Cry 4 and the new Dragon Age come out goons will forget about SoM. No I won't :toxx: myself on this one.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

The Secret World has consistently and unsurprisingly knocked their Halloween events out of the park, probably because they just use it as an excuse to write a completely independent story set in a world that's already very Halloween-y. This year's new Halloween quest is about number stations, and has you follow one back to its source; the station used to be a Russian message, but recently changed to playing old American radio broadcasts.

In every zone in the game is a shortwave radio, playing a different classic radio play. And it's the full thing, too, you can sit by a radio and listen to the entirety of the Shadow People. Emphasis on 'can', you probably shouldn't. Because if you find all of them, you get rewarded with an item that lets you listen to them any time you want, including one that doesn't play on the radios: War of the Worlds.

Flip side TSW is run by an incompetent bunch of assholes who have yet to launch an event and have it be unbroken. This years Halloween event was delayed because it was that broken.

Not to mention how the Halloween content from 2012 is STILL broken.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Great, now I want a WiiU.

Thanks guys.

It's also got Bayonetta 2, Pikmin 3 and maybe someday a Fire Emblem/Shin Megami Tensei game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Alhazred posted:

Punching the Woodsman in the Wolf Among Us is my new favorite little thing in games.

I'm partial to the option "Glass him" myself.

In Bayonetta 2 the last level has the standard awful Platinum level that involves a bad Space Harrier section. Well if you're dressed in an alternate costume it changes it into a game of starfox

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

moosecow333 posted:

It's a really nice touch that they put the extra work into something that people would probably never find on their own.

If you have no interest in actually playing the game yourself, you can watch the ending here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnCed-hb53E

Spoilers, of course.

Never underestimate the players when it comes to waiting for things. In the MMO The Secret World there is a mission that puts you on a train with a bomb on it bound for Cairo. It's supposed to take like 13 hours before it hits Cairo and explodes killing everyone. So of course an attention seeking player live streamed standing on this train for 13 hours. Absolutely nothing scripted happens but the girl made such a spectacle of it leading up to the day she streamed it the head game dev teleported her to the zone that was "coming soon" (it didn't actually come out until a year later it got very delayed because code is hard) and let her stream walking around this empty zone.

The part of it I've always found hilarious was that this happened during a time when players literally couldn't play the game because Funcom broke it for people using AMD processors with Nvidia graphics cards. The head dev had the time to teleport her to unfinished zones but not comment on his game being broken. Instead he mocked players for being unable to play.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Taeke posted:

There's also that bit in The Stanley Parable which takes literally 4 hours.

That one star in Braid that takes two.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Speaking of good sound effects I had a solid moment in Xcom the other day. I shot a rocket at a guy and it didn't die. In real life I looked at my friend and went "bad things are happening" and then in game my soldier said "that's not good."

He made it home safe and sound though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

WickedHate posted:

I nearly jumped when that happened. Good metajoke.

What game?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I just finished playing the 2012 Syndicate and really liked how ambiguously your character was portrayed. Pretty much all of the missions put civilians or just non-combatants in your line of fire and there wasn't any negative or positive result from killing or sparing them, it was entirely at your discretion. I went out of my way to minimize civilian casualties by not using area of effect weapons or lethal abilities and it was curiously satisfying to do a DART scan after a fight and note that the only dead bodies on the ground were enemies with weapons.

And after everything it just cuts to credits, no payoff at all for doing the right or wrong thing so it was super faithful to the world they built.

I played it as all the civilians meant nothing and were less than collateral. I killed all sons of bitches and it was disappointing when at the end the character grew a conscious.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The Red 9 and Blacktail have higher damage values in different versions of the game which is part of the reason why some people swear by them while other people went with a different model.

One thing I love about the HD rerelease on PC is that somebody made a trainer so after so many legitimate playthroughs over the years I can finally go hog wild with unlimited ammo/health/money and do things like use the mine thrower as a primary weapon and turn every plagas in my way into a fine red mist. :getin:

You should have gotten it on the GameCube. The action replay let me do that forever ago. I would just load the game up and find some other goofy way to play. It owned.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Edmond Dantes posted:

You can also parry the tail swipe. I won't say what you can do afterwards, but maybe you should try it.

I'm too lazy to try and relearn how to play MGR just to see what this is. Care to spoil it?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

The Secret World has serveral variations on that creepy horse mask. So if the horse mask itself is too sane, you can be a unicorn instead!

It's horn sparkles! And it can be used to torture pubbies during RP events like weddings. It also let me stand out enough that the old(current?) funcom community manager could pick me out of the crowd of people in her stream for charity. Apparently the unicorn, wings, and a red speedo was enough for them to go "Oh. That's forum trouble maker EvilBillMurray."

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Grey Fox posted:

Follow this up by turning the sniper duel into a fistfight for extra fun. That old dude can really haul rear end.

I love how the bosses in MGS3 (seasoned, legendary war vets) whine like children when you don't fight them "correctly."

These are seasoned, legendary war vets who have devised fighting strategies based around gimmicks. I'd be pissed too if I showed up and the guy wouldn't let me use my gimmick.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Exit Strategy posted:

In a similar vein, I liked the way Syndicate - the FPS, not the isometric - had its plot progress. All throughout the game, I was dreading what I had come to call the "Hippie Moment" - the one where someone would come up to your main character and tell him, "No, Miles Kilo, you're a Real Boy and you don't have to do what the Evil Fascist Corporation tells you anymore~" and then they'd do something to remove his awesome superpowers and it would be a thing about how Man Is Better Than This or some other stupid bullshit that isn't about a 'roided-up combat cyborg murdering his way through large cities.

There's even the perfect setup for it, where you go and "deal with" the unchipped underclasses. People who took a Moral Stand to Not Wear The Tools of The Man.

Nope. Never happens.

Except it has the shocking twist where your elite jackbooted thug finds out his bosses are evil and turns on them

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Leal posted:

Its that kind of charm that made those older games fun, especially Morrowind. Make potions that can let you leap far into the distance so fast the game cannot keep up with you and has to load, make a scroll that shatters the enemy's equipment, make a spell that burns everyone in a 50 foot radius, make an amulet that would constantly regen your MP before MP regeneration was a thing and yes, making a potion that shot up your personality and mercantile so high you could buy anything for 1 gold and sell it back for all of the merchant's money.

As a reminder: These fun things that broke the game if you knew what you were doing was why Oblivion's and Skyrim's magic systems were neutered.

The funny thing is there's posts in the "things dragging a game down" thread that go "Skyrim is bad because of how easy it is to break with enchanting" I will never stop being amused over the ability to break the game popping up in both threads.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

scamtank posted:

They did that in MW3, one of the deathstreaks was Dead Man's Hand. Kinda like last stand, but instead of falling down with your gun out, you fall down with a superpowered C4 pack on your chest and the clicker in your hand. It went off instantly if you were shot. The explosion was comparable to a Hellfire missile from a Predator drone.

And by the name of the Lord did the tryhards hate that.

I love those things. A friend of mine raged about Last Stand and Martyrdom constantly in MW4. He disliked LS because it meant someone else could get his kill and martyrdom was unfair bullshit.

He neglected to tell me he played on servers that banned martyrdom so I got him kicked from a few places because I liked that perk.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I wish evolve didn't have such a godawful DLC setup because I really enjoyed the beta and would have bought the full game if they hadn't announced the entire game's launch price again in DLC, and with all the skins and poo poo they have too I think the DLC adds up to more than $60 already.

My favorite conversation I heard in the beta was maggie, hank and lazarus talking about hank's cooking. "What, you didn't like the grilled canyon eel?"

The good news about skins is that they're just skins and completely aesthetic and you aren't missing anything by not buying them.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Posted this in the dark souls PC thread but someone recently told me they were using this on their first playthrough.

WHY. :negative:

Some people enjoy playing games in a different way from you?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

In Majoras Mask 3ds when you spin as deku Link the arrow on the map spins. I don't remember that happening on the 64 but it may have.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

How does transgender even come up in a game about killing goblins/dragons/bugbears? Don't you have more important things to do than worry about the bits people have?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Alouicious posted:

this may blow your mind, but in most bioware games you talk to people

a lot

(by most I mean the only exception is MDK 2)

But like how does talking to them about their gender help you kill baddies better? How is that pertinent information?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Slime posted:

Brb, writing Assassin's Creed/Shin Megami Tensei crossover fanfiction.

I'm surprised this isn't a very long list. https://www.fanfiction.net/Assassin-s-Creed-and-Persona-Series-Crossovers/2928/3990/

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I've been playing Spec Ops The Line because I was bored and got it in a humble bundle at some point. I went in expecting it to be a lot better from all the praise this thread gives it but what did own was Busey Jr as the Radioman.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Evilreaver posted:

It takes fully three-quarters of the game to get started...5/10 shooter to start, 9/10 mindtrip at the end, averages to like a 7/10 game overall. :shrug:

All the various endings own pretty hard too.

I'm on chapter 14 right now and I've wanted the game to be over for awhile. Other than all the things I read about this game doing it's just an average shooter. And there's only so many times "You are a good person." can pop up before I don't give any fucks and just wished it gave better checkpoints.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

bewilderment posted:

The re-release puts the new character immediately after her, as if she's more important.
People were unhappy.

People were unhappy with Marie the second she was revealed. She could have literally shown up and had no content aside from being a model in the game and people would have been unhappy.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

WickedHate posted:

I predict in a short while, this thread will start feeling like PYF little things in games: But not Pillars of Eternity. Shut up about Pillars of Eternity.

It's such a good loving game.

Until the next new hotness comes out and the thread forgets about it. And then in a month or so goon reaction will leave the "OMG OBSIDIAN MADE A NEW GANE IT'S PERFECT" stage and you'll start seeing more believable reviews where there's more than pure praise. That's the Goon way of gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

bewilderment posted:

Another neat touch is that earlier in the level you encounter it, if you look up, you can see another one already dead and strung up.

I didn't notice that. Although when I first was in that level some most of the things of the things killed me really quick so I sprinted through it.