Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

SodomyGoat101 posted:

Steven Heck in Alpha Protocol. His emails, his exuberant violence , the cheerful way he threatens to make his partner drink drain cleaner...it's just beautiful.

Isn't there a mission in Hong Kong where you're trying to stealth through a subway without alerting anyone and one of the pre-mission perks you can buy is "assistance" from Heck? That assistance being a driveby with a mounted machine gun from a hi-jacked subway car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

2house2fly posted:

I'm playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution and there was one little (and probably immediately obvious to fans of the original game) thing that I liked. At the start of Human Revolution it's immediately obvious that the main character, whose first name is Adam, is the mysterious Subject X or whoever that his girlfriend studied for her revolutionary science thing and refuses to talk about with him. So the name Adam for the guy who's ushering in a new era of humanity is just a bit of cheap symbolism, right? Yes, but: the main character of Deus Ex was called JC Denton. And Human Revolution is a prequel, so Adam is kind of a perfect name for them to use as a callback.

It's dumb but it made me smile.

"Jesus Christ, Denton!"

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

A couple things I liked about Dx:HR were the little touches they added to Adam's apartment that show hints of his personality. He's got little more than whiskey and cereal in the kitchen, an assault rifle in every room, a secret stash of the aug medicine, a half-smoked pack of cigs on his desk, and a desk where he's been building clocks to practice his motor control. Not to mention the mirror, complete with a sticky note to bitch at the manager again for not replacing it.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

More from Deus Ex: HR: at some point there's a list of usernames and logins that are all famous science-fiction writers, and if you check a particular computer, you find out someone's employing Kevin Mitnick as a hacker.[/spoiler]

As far as login jokes go, I liked one I found in the facility whereMeganwas being held. One of the employees with a very hispanic name had requested a password change and the IT dude set it to techsmex. No matter how punk your cyber is, there will always be puns.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

My favourite little thing in X-com has got to be one of the cheats. If you name a soldier certain things, they get bonuses. Like, name him Sid Meier and he becomes an absurdly powerful psionic. My favorite is when you name a soldier Otto Zander, he gets the nickname "Unbreakable" and becomes literally unstoppable.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Far Cry 2 had my favorite enemy dialogue by far. If you're fighting a successful guerrilla battle against them, springing from the shadows just long enough to pop a couple people and then disappear again, the enemies will refer to you as if you were more than one person, things like "Where are they?" "I don't see them!," etc. If you abandon the guerrilla approach and charge in guns blazing, they'll all be shocked that it was just you. "How the gently caress was it just one man??"

My favorite incident, though, was when I was doing one of these guerrilla attacks on a train yard. I start creeping through the tall grass to sneak up on a couple guys who seem to be hanging around after one of my raids. As I get closer, though, I see they're standing over the corpse of a guy I had killed a couple minutes earlier, and I overhear this conversation (imagine this in the most :smith: voices possible): "Oh, poo poo, he got the new guy. What was his name, again?" "J.T. ... It was J.T. :("

Another one, and probably the most impressed I've ever been at AI behavior in any game, has to do with the fact that if you non-fatally wound an enemy, there's a chance they'll go down, at which point their buddies will try to rush over and drag them away to safety. So I put a guy into this wounded state and leave an IED next to him for his buddies. As the other bad guys rush over to him, though, he actually shouts out "stay back, there's a bomb!" causing his friends to stop dead and start rushing away from him. I've never seen an enemy warn his friends about a trap like that before.

I had an awesome moment while taking down a checkpoint. I wiped it out except for two guys, but had to duck into some grass to hide and heal up. As I crept back to where the enemies were, I could hear them talking. They were absolutely freaked out, wondering who I was, if I was from the CIA, etc. Then they kept talking and started to get themselves pumped up, saying "Let's do this!" before charging right past me into the brush where I had fled before.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

TontoCorazon posted:

Crazy people gently caress too you know.

He just makes her wear a Batman mask....

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

LoonShia posted:

Also, you get to keep the arrows that enemies shoot into you.

Nothing like yanking an arrow out of your chest and giving the guy who shot you a "Return to Sender."

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

I posted a small rant about Arkham Origins in the Things Dragging This Game Down thread, so I'll give it props here for doing some legit cool things.

After you find out Black Mask's little "secret" and confront him and his merc at the top of the hotel you play through an introspective flashback of the Joker's life as it toys with the Killing Joke backstory. You have a fight at a comedy club, then walk down a linear railroad track dressed as the Red Hood, until you get attacked by a monstrous demonic bat creature. The whole time, the Joker is being interviewed by Harley Quinn as an incoming patient, and his answers match a lot of whats going on in the gameplay. He talks about being a jokester and how cruel the world can be during the comedy club fight, says he felt locked into a bad end with only one way to go during the literal railroad section, and says how fate meant him to find someone who truly understands him when the monster pops up. In a cool twist, you can hear Harley start falling for him as it goes on: he's talking about his fledgling obsession with Batman but the entire time she thinks he's coyly hinting about her.

Seriously, it's worth a watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wotHZlBLZ2c

During the story, there will be a point where Batman has some trouble back home. Throughout the game, anytime Batman speaks, in the subtitles his lines will be noted as "Batman: blah, blah". Except for when Alfred's heart stops and Bats starts de-fibbing him with the elctro-guantlets. As he screams Alfred's name, his subtitle changes to "Bruce: Alfred!" It was a cool way to show how much it affected him to think he could lose another family member. For a moment, the mask he has been wearing all night slipped off, and he was just someone who didn't want his friend to die.

One last thing. After the game, in free roam, you'll get a case about a shooting in the same alley his parents died in years ago. As part of the game, you'll set up crime scenes at various points and begin CSI-ing them to find out what happened and track down the perp. But, in this scene as you reconstruct the events, you'll see a flash of two corpses lying off to the side, right where his parents where shot. Theres nothing drawing attention to it, and it's a "blink and you'll miss it" moment, but it was a cool way to show how their deaths still haunt him.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Nth Doctor posted:

Look at this bad opinion from an elf's lapdog. I guess you forget who decided missing paperwork merits a summary death sentence. :colbert:

Even if you go Imperial, you have to side with Raylof at the beginning for two reasons:

1: Raylof is a total bro.

2: You get to stab that captain in the face.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

You could make the argument that Skyrim remaining with the Empire will only drag it down in the upcoming war. Hammerfell managed to split from the Empire and fight off the Thalmor, who's to say Skyrim can't link up with Hammerfell?

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Judge Tesla posted:

The Dragonborn probably won't show up ever again anyway, since you pretty much sell yourself to Hermaeous Mora for power, roll on Elder Scrolls 6 where you get to fight the corrupted Dragonborn though.

Been there, done that. Dragonborn DLC.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Simply Simon posted:

In Deus Ex: Human Revolution, you are working for your corporate mastermind ultra-CEO boss who takes on fishy military contracts while yapping on about how this is just to bring in money and seriously they are far more interested in all the good they can do with that money, the whole spiel. Of course halfway through the game you realize that he is actually evil and while that is partly true, you never really stop working for him and one of the endings is explicitly doing what he wants, which is not necessarily the "wrong" choice. At no point does he betray you, he only withholds information and you can call him on his bullshit without going all "I'm going to bring your organization down in flames, gently caress you".

I don't know if I'd call Sarif evil, though he does pull some shady poo poo. One big mark in his favor is how he was contacted by either Bob Page or Morgan Everret with an invitation to join the Illuminati and he tells them to gently caress off. Also, given how his business practices compare to ones like Tai Young Medical, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

He even went out of his way to give you some spiffy sunglasses!

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

The Orange Mage posted:

this was my favorite part of metal gear solid

not saying which one because...does that even matter?

I'm guessing Volgen and Raikov?

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

It's leaving your finger between the pages and when you see you made a choice that kills you and jumping back

I always did that and I feel no shame about it. So many of those deaths were utter bullshit.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

You posted:

Nothing at all, providing you are a unethical husk of a person. :colbert:

So Rico then?

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Calaveron posted:

U didn't believed it until I saw it myself, but there legit is a giant anthropomorphic tree boss you have to kill by beating it in the testicles.

A tree with a twig and berries?

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Exit Strategy posted:

Especially since the last good Fallout game was 2.

Come on. I played and loved Fallout 1 and 2, and I played Brotherhood. But you got to admit New Vegas is the best the series has ever been.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Mierenneuker posted:

I already love the logo for the new Resident Evil game. Driv3r and F.3.A.R. ain't got nothing on this.

https://twitter.com/Toadsanime/status/742547710612492288

So how did the series get the name Resident Evil for western audiences? Biohazard is obvious. Resident Evil less so.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

I mean, that was what the first game was selling, for the most part.

Good point. It does have a "evil that dwells here" vibe to it that works for the haunted mansion thing from the first.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

That was the level that sold me on the anti-aug side. You get the initial pitch from the pro-aug side from your boss at the start of the game and he goes on about how many lives are improved by the tech and how they are advancing the development of the human race. Very idealistic stuff.

Then you get to the facilities where they're produced and you have division managers telling their engineers to stop making the knee joints so high quality because he wants their customers coming in for "tune-ups" every year.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Just watched the trailer for the new Deus Ex on Steam. Maybe I've been playing too much Overwatch, but I could have sworn there was a moment where one of his Interpol teammates called him Hanzo and he responded by calling the guy McCree.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Some games will keep data on your computer after they've been uninstalled. Usually game saves or config settings so that if you decide to reinstall you can pick back up without having to start over or tinker with settings. My guess is something crucial in those becomes corrupted and interferes with a fresh install.

As to why: :shrug: Bethesda

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

quite stretched out posted:

just turn off the killcam and watch your allies run around then, that way you have some idea of what's happening while youre dead

I've found this to be very bad for my morale.

I would rather believe my teammates are functionally blind, deaf, and unware of what "teammates" and "the objective" are than see it confirmed for me everytime I find myself abandoned on the payload as Rein or chased past several teammates as Mercy.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

I'm just sad that the steam version doesn't like my graphics card or I'd definitely be doing another playthrough

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

QuietLion posted:

Firewatch is mostly a walking simulator game in which you play as a forest fire lookout in a Wisconsin forest, and there aren't a ton of animals...besides raccoons. There's an entire set of Easter eggs dedicated to trash bandits, which includes a single raccoon sitting on a stump way off the main path. He will sit there forever trying to smash open a granola bar until you call your friend Delilah or get too close, and you can even take a picture of him. :3:

Since it's an Indie game I think they couldn't allocate too many resources to making woodland animals, but it tickles me that someone put his/her foot down and demanded that there be washing bears in this game!

Don't forget about Shelly Duval.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Digirat posted:

Excuse me it was a squirrel, not a man

I did this so much

Spider-Man over here.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

el oso posted:

In my very first playthrough I sniped him the first time you see him (in a non-combat scene) because it seemed like a good idea at the time, never realizing it would cut out a great boss fight until reading about it much later. I've heard how great the sniper fight can be but I've never done it because it was just so great that they included that option to begin with.

Someone should really just make a PYF Metal Gear moment thread, there are so many things to choose from.

First time playing through, I sniped The End right after the cutscene. Then he exploded and the tire from his wheelchair hit me in the head and killed me cause I was at low health...

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Never had the kind of job that made you say, "gently caress it. I don't get paid enough for this poo poo."?

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Nuebot posted:

Pretty sure you can tranq her but it's a massive pain in the rear end. I don't think you can CQC her because none of her sniping positions are in places you can reach from the ground.

One thing I love about that fight though was all the people getting upset that they couldn't recruit quiet after they murdered her by going lethal in that fight. They later on patched it so if you replayed the mission you could.

That reminds me of the bit in SWTOR where one of your party members is forced to betray you and you have the dark side option of killing them for it. Well, so many players couldn't deal with the fact that if they killed him, they couldn't keep using that party member, that the option to do so was patched out.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Cleretic posted:

I honestly think Squall gets off worse from the 'Kingdom Hearts-ification' of the characters it uses than Cloud does. Cloud was at least kind of a tool at all points, and you are meant to think he's the total tryhard we see him as, it's just lost that the game is in on that joke and that he gets better. Non-FFVIII Squall is just a totally different character that doesn't reflect who he was in his origin game at all.

Apparently Squall in Kingdom Hearts was supposed to be post FFVII-Cloud after he got over his insecurities.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

I only read a LP of KoDP, but doesn't your leader have to bang a mountain in the endgame?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Chris Avellone's meltdown over at RPG Codex of all places indicates that Obsidian has had deep leadership problems for years.

How Obsidian used his name to pitch a game to publishers, then screwed him over on health insurance when he left, and tried to force a non-compete agreement that would have effectively banned him from the industry has really soured me on them.