Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Sir Shion posted:

Storyline spoilers for Bravely Default: Where the Fairy Flies here

I liked the idea, but I thought they took waaaaay too loving long to get to the point. Even when they start realize what's going on, you still need to do the cycle one more time, which is ridiculous because they know what's going to happen.

I think they could've done it a lot, lot better. The second-last cycle is good, as it shows what is different, and what could've been - the rest of them are just exactly the same stuff, which slightly modified dialogue with some of the vestals. poo poo, every single time they come across each temple boss, they're somehow surprised that the boss is there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Just started Metal Gear Rising Revengeance Reloaded Revival Reckoning yesterday, and I am loving those voice tracks that kick in for the climax of the boss battles.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Borderlands 2 is good for that - not so much for speech cutting out when you go to far, or important dialogue ending because Jack decided to randomly interrupt. So much missed dialogue because of that

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Lotish posted:

The XP cost on mind reading really deterred me. I never got very far in the game, so maybe the rate for earning xp ramps up a bunch, but early on a mind-reading seems like a big investment for little pay-off.

You get far more experience from the mind-reading then you ever spend. There are entire questlines you obtain from mindreading.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Male Man posted:

Dishonored with Dark Messiah's kick would be just a few steps away from perfect.

Just give me a semi-linear, first-person dungeon crawler with some good fighting mechanics. Where's Dark Messiah 2, damnit, that game was awesome - nothing else has nailed being such a badass rogue/assassin than the backstab and shadow mechanics in that game. Taking out a big room of orcs by stabbing them and slinking back into the shadows was so much fun.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I own the game, haven't played it yet, but this trailer has got me wanting to play it more than any other piece of media and advertising yet.

Edit: The answer is because I have a few games I want to finish first, and not a lot of free time, plus I'm waiting on a friend to do it coop with.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Doctor Bishop posted:

I still hope they make Saints Row 5 full-on space opera so you can do poo poo like cruise around Not-Coruscant in a flying firetruck after dropping on it during a dive from the top of the tallest skyscraper on the map.

I asked the....head guy...producer? Eh. Anyway, I asked him about where the series could possibly go from this point, and he said that he's pretty certain that the Saint's Row 'saga' is done - if they made any more, it'd likely be starting from scratch.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Apparently they are making another one. And the voice actor who played Dane Vogel, the main antagonist of Saints Row 2, is in it. I'm hoping for a reboot that basically combines the fist two games.

Well then that guy's a big phony!

I guess it's not too surprising though - I mean, money and all.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Nth Doctor posted:

Every so often I go looking to see if LucasArts/Disney/Whoever owns it now has released Tie Fighter in a format that could run on modern hardware. So far, I've been disappointed. Has anyone else had better luck?

Couldn't you just run it on DOSBox?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

beato posted:

Speaking of trophies, when you complete the trophy list for Noby Noby Boy it forms a nice long picture.

I really like those. Likewise, the story trophies for Resonance of Fate are one long picture (none of the rest are, disappointingly).

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

How did Tomb Raider: Guardians of Light do it with regards to the plot? I've only played co-op, but I love how the game's puzzles and challenges change to adopt the fact that there's a new player with different abilities to Lara's, and I think it's great.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Super Mario 3D World's introduction of a crown was amazing. It was just a lovely little crown that the winner of the previous level wears (earned by having the most points), and it's worth a few thousand points at the end of the current level.

But it can be knocked off and picked up by someone else.

Cue me and my friends turning every level into a free-for-all, trying to knock down the crowned person without actually tossing them into a pit or something, as that loses the crown, then making a mad dash for the exit while the three other players try to hunt them down for their sweet sweet bounty.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Man, you want unique time travelling RPGs? Achron, full-stop. Let me preface this by saying that, as an normal RTS, it's not very good. Units are muddy and hard to tell apart, the strategy aspects are pretty slim, and it's not pretty. However, the game is the only one I've ever played to implement time travel as part of the game mechanics, and not just in the story.

See, at any point in the battle, you can rewind time. Maybe you lost a building because you had sent some defensive units elsewhere, and didn't want to lose said building. So you rewind time back to when you knew that enemy forces were on the way to destroy it, move your units back into position, and wipe out said enemy forces. Great! A ripple of time energy expands through the timeline, reversing the destruction of your building, allowing you to return to the present with a still-present building.

But. What about the Grandfather paradox? What if you built a building on the remains of the destroyed building, built a unit, then sent it back in time to prevent the destruction of the building, upon which you built the new building? That means the new saviour unit can't be built to go back in time to save things. So time gets hosed. With each time wave sent out, multiple realities start taking control, shifting between a time when the new building was there, and when the old one was. Your unit starts shifting in and out of existence. I don't even remember when eventually happens, but gently caress. That game was a mindfuck to play against even basic computer opponents.

Of course, there are limitations - you can only go backwards and forwards in time in a certain range, and the further you go the more energy you require, which replenishes over time. But it ends up being a game of who can use the timestream most effectively to undo previous actions while also viewing the actions of the future to see what a wise action would be. Of course, if your enemy notices you viewing the future (your viewing position is visible to them), they can then change their actions.

It's a shame the base RTS mechanics and style weren't very good.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Keep in mind this is far into the future, sentient robots have been built, and Mercury has been turned into a garden planet. Pretty much anything's possible. Oh yeah, and every Guardian in the game (you know, the player characters) are actually resurrected people who died - the entire Guardian roster is built from dead folks. So, you know, fantasy.

TontoCorazon posted:

Bring a literal space wizard is baller as gently caress.

Undead space wizards, technically.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Male Man posted:

Drake is supposed to be preternaturally lucky; all those times he appears to get hit are actually close misses. Instead of losing health his luck literally runs out. Why that's represented by rapid-onset glaucoma is anyone's guess.

This is how I take everything like hit points and stuff in RPGs too. Like, when watching Final Fantasy: Advent Children, you notice the characters dodging and blocking every single attack that comes their way. I just figure, when they don't manage to use their supernatural sword skills to block that one bullet to their chest, that's when their HP runs out or something.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

My favorite little (little?) thing in Mega Man X was when the stages would change depending on which of the bosses you'd beaten. I remember Spark Mandrill no longer being able to use his electricity charge attack if you beat a certain boss, and I think Flame Mammoth's lost a lot of fire if you beat another boss. It was a really cool thing that was never explicitly stated. I don't know if the other X games did that, though.

Off the top of my head, in Mega Man X, you had the following:

- Beating Chill Penguin (I always fought him first) freezes Flame Mammoth's base over, making it so much easier without flames everywhere. For the longest time I never even saw flames in his level.
- Beating Storm Eagle will cause his airship to crash into Spark Mandrill's level, removing light from various areas and stopping a lot of electrical environment attacks, including the mini boss's.
- Something floods Sting Chameleon's level, possibly beating Launch Octopus? This makes certain areas easier to get through, including a heart container thing.

drat that was a good game. I must've played through it half a dozen times, if not more, always getting that hadoken before taking Sigma out with it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I've been playing Fantasy Life for the past few days, and drat if it's a silly little game full of things I love. I like how there was attention paid to even the crafting mechanics, which in most games (Atelier excluded) amount to pressing "Confirm" on a menu (same with the harvesting mechanics). I like that there are a dozen classes, each with a bunch of skills, and the majority of them are non-combat-related. I like the dialogue, which is cheesy but obviously had a lot of love put into them.

Also, running around with a pet dog/cat in your party to gently caress poo poo up is so good :3:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

So is that game basically Final Fantasy x Animal Crossing?

Like Mokinokaro said, you don't end up modifying too much except the furnishings in your home, which I don't particularly care about. I'm really drawing a blank on what other games to compare it to (other than Disney's Magic World which is apparently quite similar). There are a dozen classes, but four of them are combat oriented (two melee, one ranged, one magical), there are three classes that allow you to gain resources, like wood and fish, and five classes that allow you to craft various things. The classes work together as you might expect - you want to get resources to do crafting to get better equipment (or furniture and stuff) to kill enemies to progress further in the story to get access to better stuff and more skills.

I just really like how there's just so many...I don't know, mechanics to the game. Every class can level up by completing tasks (craft X of this, kill X of this while this class, chop down a rare pine tree, use your charged fishing ability X times and so forth), which gets you better recipes, special moves, tools, etc. Also, your character levels up. Also, each of your skills levels up (different weapon skills, specific crafting skills like armor crafting, weapon crafting, furniture crafting, various harvesting skills), and you also get something called Bliss for reaching milestones in the game, which gives you bonuses like a bigger inventory, the ability to get haircuts, or pets.

It's not exactly what I'd call strategic or complex, but all this sort of stuff is like crack to me.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Len posted:

I'm partial to the option "Glass him" myself.

In Bayonetta 2 the last level has the standard awful Platinum level that involves a bad Space Harrier section. Well if you're dressed in an alternate costume it changes it into a game of starfox

That section really, really loving got me craving some HD Star Fox. It could look so pretty.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I like the comic, even though I groaned when I read that page. The game itself was pretty cool too, especially since it could do its own thing without worrying about canon - though obviously some characters can't die. Of course, this isn't really an issue in the world of Fables, where a number of characters can come back to life unless tossed down the Witching Well.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Wasn't Jules Vern the father of steampunk, though that term wasn't coined at the time? Or at least he planted the seed, or something. Never really looked into it, but I've heard his name come up often in discussions about it.

Anyway, I've been playing Persona Q, and though ostensibly it is Etrian Odyssey with a Persona coating, it does a lot of new little things to help the players. One of the things I'm most appreciative of is notifying you if you're about to enter a dungeon without a Goho-M, an item that allows you to teleport back to 'town', incredibly useful when you're a few levels deep and pretty certain you can't survive the trip back.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Found this:

http://imgur.com/gallery/BxRiE

Basically in World of Warcraft, apparently when you get drunk every enemy's level drops, or at least it appears to. So when you're drunk, you think you can take on more than you actually can. Which I thought was a nice little touch of detail, even though I don't play the game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

timp posted:

I've never played either of those games, but that sounds like it's also an Airplane! reference.

For reference, in Mass Effect 2 you get an AI for your ship that's basically a floating orb hologram:

In Mass Effect 3 that AI is turned into this:

Because fuckin' Bioware. Maybe you can gently caress it. No idea.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Bussamove posted:

Koromaru+Kanji buds for life.

I love what they did with the shortcut indicators in Q versus the ones in Etrian Odyssey games. They're more visually distinctive, and have an audio queue that they're there as well if you're close enough to them. It makes them much easier to notice.

Plus, you can just place the shortcut on the map, and it will indicate what direction you can use it in.

Also, if there's a location you can investigate, party members will pipe in with a "I think there's something there..." sort of comment.

Despite the general lack of conversation in the dungeons, Atlus did a good job with making it feel like you're walking through with all these people, and not just keeping things morosely silent the whole way through like previous Etrian Odyssey games.

Kind of disappointed how Teddy comes off like much more of a self-centered jerk a lot of the time though...

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I recently replayed The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, and I'm reminded how great this game is. One of my favourite touches is how the music changes in Lorule.

See, this is the music whenever you're walking around the world map of the "Dark World":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYc_Vosp9_Y

But after you've collected all the mcguffins, and are ostensibly on the path to the final dungeon to confront the big boss, this music replaces the above:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4ZEYeanOW4

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

The best video game writing is clearly in Journey.

Also, there's something I like about Planescape Torment that I wouldn't be able to get with just a novel of text. Perhaps it's the way you can sculpt your character in ways that aren't just 'make a choice here, now make a choice here'. Subtly your alignment is shifted over the course of the game, slowly your allies' opinions of you change based on how you react to them, there are side plots that are revealed and you feel awesome for finding them...that sort of stuff just can't be put into simple interactive fiction.

Still, I understand that it's hardly using its medium as well as people may think.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Yeah, you might as well be worried about overshooting a letter on a analog-pad keyboard by pressing the arrow button one too many times. The BG&E one is a lot more fluid, I remember really liking it when I used it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Playing an early copy of Citizens of Earth, a top-down, turn-based RPG. I noticed very quickly how similar it looked in gameplay to Earthbound, but when I found a police bulletin that warned of "a spiteful youth with a baseball bat, beating up crows", I knew that the similarities were intentional in some way.

What I love is that they kept one of the best parts of Earthbound in this game: not only will enemies run from you if you're significantly stronger, but getting into fights that are very outmatched in your favour will instantly defeat the enemy and give you exp (and items) without having to actually get into battle. From what I know this is the only game other than Earthbound (or I guess the Mother series) that does this, and it baffles my mind as to why this is the case.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Big Grunty Secret posted:

The rationale is probably that a form-fitting suit has less cloth that would rustle and snag on stuff as you crawled around, hence being quieter. The sneaking suit also puts pressure on internal organs and has bulletproof material sewn into it, lessening the chance of a serious injury while wearing it.

Also has the benefit of giving you a sweet rear end:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

gamingCaffeinator posted:

I'm playing Yakuza 4 between segments of Majora, and dear sweet Jesus there is so much to do. I especially love the pretty princess dress up in the hostess club run by Akiyama.

There are so many awesome things to do in that game, including Being Kazuma Kiryu, Badass Incarnate, or Saejima the Greatest Bum Ever. I am so bummed that Yakuza 5 is apparently never coming out in the west :(.

Edit: Holy poo poo I'm wrong, how did I miss this: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/12/06/yakuza-5-announced-at-playstation-experience/

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Celery Face posted:

The bug bosses in Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate twitch after you've killed them.

The music in the Monster Hunter series only plays when the monster has spotted you. There's no music during the Khezu fight because its blind. As interesting as that gimmick is, I still hate fighting that thing.

I noticed that twitch thing and thought it was pretty cool, though, though really icky.

Never noticed the Khezu thing though, that's a cool touch. Can you even sneak up on that thing?

I love the ability to set Item Sets in this iteration though, loving finally I don't have to worry about remembering to restock potions and traps and tranqs, I just have to say "Yeah set me to whatever this set is", and all my poo poo is deposited and everything I need is refilled. Now if I could just get something like that for socketed decorations...

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Yakuza 4 is little things: the game for sure though. I was looking forward to playing darts, found a place that was called "Dart World" or whatever but it was just a background shop that you can't enter. Later I stumble into a bar looking for a drink (another little thing: when you order a drink it tells you a bit about the real world brand that you're drinking) and found the darts board! They're electronic and awesome.

Shame it couldn't have multiplayer just for those games. My wife would totally play the golf, ten pin bowling or darts games with me if she had the chance.

My roommate never played any of the actual Yakuza part of Yakuza 4 - he'd load up my save, beeline for a Mahjong parlor, and just play for a few hours.

Got me all the awards/trophies for that, though, so I'm a-okay with this.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Just played a bit of Resident Evil: Revelations 2, and I gotta say, I'm really enjoying the coop in this game. It feels a lot more like actual coop, and not just doubling of assets, since the coop partner has a fairly different set of skills than the first player.

In the first mission, for example, one plays Claire Redfield and the other plays her friend. Claire can use guns, stab guys, and knock down stunned enemies. Her friend, however, doesn't get access to guns - instead, she gets a flashlight and crowbar. But with the flashlight, she can find hidden items and stun enemies (so that Claire can knock them down), and with her crowbar she's limited to melee attacks, but they do a substantial amount of damage. In addition, when an enemy is knocked down by Claire, the coop partner can use a punishing attack on it that does a huge amount of damage. Plus she can open locked crates.

It really is a great fusion of complimentary abilities that I wish was present in more coop games, it feels a lot more fun to play when it's not just two people with guns instead of one.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Sociopastry posted:

I am really enjoying Fantasy Life. One of my favorite little things so far is that if you choose to skip the tutorial for a given profession, the person giving it to you calls you out on it. It's adorable.

Man, I loved this. Not only do they just call you out on it, there's unique dialogue for each of them, basically saying "Oh, of course, there's no need to take this - but here, let me introduce you to this person". It's just fits in so well, it's not like you skip it and it fades to black then 'skips' the tutorial

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Sleeveless posted:

Pretty much every Hitman game has one "correct" route through each level that gets you a Silent Assassin rating (no alerts, no casualties except the targets, only allowed to fire one bullet for each target) and most of the gameplay is built around replaying the same level over and over to piece together what combination of disguises and setpieces will get you that.

No, the good Hitman games expressly avoid this 'one route' thing, instead giving you a sandbox where you can pretty much do your thing, with varying levels of success. Blood Money has some levels where there are many ways to do Silent Assassin runs, depending on how you want to do it. For example, off the top of my head, in the Opera level you can shoot the guy with the rifle at the same time as the gunshot, switch the guns, kill him in his changing room, or take the spot of the shooting actor, and I'm sure there are a couple more ways to do it, too.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Sleeveless posted:

That level was rad as hell just because they managed to get a crowd engine running on a PS2 in 2004.

The Mardi Gras level always impressed the hell out me because of this. Just...hundreds of people! And you can gun them all down! Crazy.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Heavy Lobster posted:

The combat in Oblivion, and Skyrim, was also bad on release.

There's a difference between 'bland' and 'bad'. Skyrim and Oblivion's was the former. I still think of Morrowind as my favourite ES game, but goddamn just hearing the 'whoosh whoosh whoosh' of combat, having to constantly walk because of stamina, chugging down mana potions constantly, that poo poo ain't fun.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Don't know if it counts as a 'little' thing, per se, but I love villains that have motivations beyond "Ho ho ho I am evil and/or crazy". I just beat Infamous: Second Son yesterday, and the fact that the villain of the game truly believes what's she's doing is right is awesome to me.

For those who don't care about spoilers:
Through this game (and it's pseudo-pre-expansion, First Light), you learn of the Department of Unified Protection (the DUP), and how its leader is locking up all the Conduits with special powers behind walls, doing so in a fairly authoritative manner. It looks like she's simply the 'evil authority figure', especially since you play a wise-cracking smalltown delinquent. But in the climactic finale, you discover the reason she's doing all this is for the Conduits' protection: in the years following the emergence of the Conduits, so many died from lynchings, from fear, and from the military. She, a former member of the military herself, made a choice that the only way to keep them safe was to keep them locked away from those who would seek to kill everyone 'different'. I don't agree with her methods, but her reasons behind them...I sympathized with what she was trying to do, and almost disagreed with what the hero of the game, a Hero of Justice in my playthrough, ended up doing (expose her and dissolve the DUP).

So much better than someone who's all "Mweheheh gonna lock you all up and torture you because EVIL!" *twirls mustache*.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

This is actually true of a great many villains though.

Not enough villains. So many just want to take over the world, or destroy it, or summon their dark god (for...reasons?), or gain great power, etc. None of them could possibly believe that was the right thing to do if they had any shred of sanity, or decent writing, in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

Name some. Preferably from the last five years. Right now I'm just coming up with whatsisface from Fire Emblem Awakening and maybe whosisname from Dying Light.

Honestly at this point I've seen so many well-intentioned extremist badguys that it'd be a relief to deal with one who's a) evil just for the hell of it, and b) not the Joker.

First, I want to say that I don't mean people who are simply creating extremely flimsy pretenses for what they do.
"Oh, I want to make the world a better place! That's why I'm murdering everybody that isn't pure, only 90% of the population!"
There's well-intentioned extremists and then there's just people that no one but the most bloodthirsty or psychotic would ever knowingly associate with. And most of the time it's not really well written either, or they're such unpleasant people that it's impossible to care about them or their motives.

Anyway, every villain from almost every jRPG*. Mr House and Caesar from Fallout: NV. The bad guy from Evil Within. Prototype 1 and 2. Anything with aliens/nazis/otherworlders/demons (obvs). Murdered: Soul Suspect. Outlast. Amnesia. Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood (haven't played past that). I could go on.

I'm of course avoiding any games that don't take themselves seriously, like Saint's Row/Borderlands, or cartoony games like Mario. And this is just on my Steam list.

*Suikoden 3 is a notable example in this regard. From the outside, it looks like a guy who's willing to do anything to destroy a large area of the world, killing millions or something. But then you play the extra chapter from his perspective, and you see the lives that would save. Guess that extra chapter was the little thing I really liked about that game...I don't think it was even necessary to play to 'beat' the game, but it really added a lot to it. (even though 90% of it is you beating down everything in your way because, understandably, you are the last boss of a game).

Cleretic posted:

I think the problem isn't that there are so many that want to destroy/take over/gently caress over the world for selfish or megalomaniacal reasons, it's that there are so many that are bad at it.

This is true. Seeing Kefka succeed was actually really awesome, in a 'Holy poo poo he won?!' kind of awestruck way.