Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

On little things topic: In the Second Son mission where you first encounter Fetch, the mission starts off with you watching a newscast on a tv in the window of Cole McG's Electronics. Also in some alley somewhere, I don't remember where, I found a building with a neon Sly Cooper symbol over the door.

Off-hand, I remember the law firm of Cooper and MacGrath (that's what you're referring to) and the ringtone for Delsin's phone being based off of the Sly Cooper theme (took me a while before I recognized it). The game apparently has a bunch of references like this. There's also some graffiti of the Cooper symbol somewhere.

Oh, and the PS4's controller's light changes color depending on how good/evil you are, which is a nice little touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Croccers posted:

If you do/look into the Paper Trail ARG whatever thing that's built into the game it revels more of what's happening in the background of the game.
DUP was in the process of getting shut down so she set up the escape of the prisoners, the MC just got caught up in the middle of it.

This is actually revealed in the final conversation with her, but it comes bizarrely out of left field - at no point in the game's main plot do you get told this, and there isn't really any way to piece it together. Delsin just straight up accuses her of it, and while it makes sense, there's literally no reason for him to think that's what happened.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Starhawk64 posted:

I love the little dioramas for 3DS titles. Ace Combat's is literally just a model of an F-22 in packaging, for example.

And they spin real fast if you blow hard on the mic.

When I first bought my 3DS, I had no idea what made them spin, and I played it on a bus with the window open. Looked at the game's diorama, the thing was loving spinning like a propeller, and I had no idea why.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Hey guys? I'm playing this game called Shadow of Mordor, and oh man! It's got some cool stuff in it!

(look I've had a big backlog that I've needed to get through alright).

It's nice finally seeing all these things people were talking about months ago.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Geokinesis posted:

Just how over the top some of the attacks are in Disgaea 5.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbIqL-yznVk

I'm just happy you can skip them whenever you want (as opposed to via a setting in the menu). Makes it so grinding battles can go much faster, but you can still see some cool moves or some you may have not seen before).

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Yeah that makes sense - Silent Hill is its best when it's about the character and the demons they bring to the town. When it's a game about a spooky town with recurring villains and such, it just becomes a generic horror game.

The Room was interesting because it was about what happens when someone gets dragged into the demons that someone else has brought to the town. Too bad the person being dragged in was the dullest, most milquetoast man available.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

After being gifted Undertale, I finally played and beat it, and drat, that game is just filled with a lot of little things that add up to some great stuff. The Earthbound notes are particularly strong in many cases.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

People are too quick to dismiss Undertale as overrated before they finally try it and come around to love it. You could even say it's quite the...

...underdog. :shittydog:

The dogs were the best. Also the cooking lesson. And the date. gently caress, so much good stuff in that game.

One thing though. I will never, ever, and I mean ever be able to go through with a Genocide playthrough. No way in hell. After reading about what you have to become in order to do it, what it does to the world, and the (nearly) irreparable changes it makes to subsequent playthroughs? No way. But it's amazing that it was put in there in the first place, it's so much better than the usual piddly 'evil' playthroughs that games typically provide.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Fumaofthelake posted:

Somewhat related is how you can revisit all the npcs after winning a True Pacifist run like at the end of Earthbound. I always thought more games should do that.

I really like that. Especially when you can see all the results of what you've done. Hell, in Earthbound it's the only way to actually hear what your bicycle sounds like underwater.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

In Tales of Zestiria, you can press a button to advance cutscenes. Not skip, but advance - so you can advance through a line of dialogue, or skip a single scene in which someone is just on screen but not saying anything, and get to the next camera shot. I wish all games let you do this.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I beat The Deadly Tower of Monsters last night, and though the gameplay itself is a fairly mediocre beat-em-up romp, the game has a lot of charms that made me keep playing it.

The first is the set-up. See, this isn't a game you're playing, this is an old sci-fi movie from the 40s that you're watching after it was re-released on DVD. So they have a special director commentary track talking about making the 'movie', the actor reactions, how he saved money, etc. Also you can tell when they used actors for monsters and when they didn't, since the non-actor monsters are stop-motioned creatures.

Oh, and the premise of the game is that you're climbing a tower. In most games, this means going up floor after floor of monsters, stepping outside every now and then to go 'woah, I'm way high up' before entering the tower once more. In this game, the entire game, save for a few rooms, takes place outside. So everything you've accomplished is always visible beneath you. And if you want, at any time you can jump off an sail downwards to check out an older area, fly through some hoops, find secrets, whatever. By the end of the game you're pretty much in space, and the curve of the entire planet is visible to you, essentially the entire game viewable in a single camera angle. It's pretty cool, and impressive that they can keep that entire design going throughout the whole game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

I saw some info about the game and I misstook him for the Ryu from Street Fighter at first. I'm kinda sad I wasn't right about it.

God, finally.

The game also is great about tutorials: they say "Hey, do you want to know more about this feature?" and you can just say "No", at which point the game responds "Okay, well if you need more info just check the guide book!" and then never bothers you about it again.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Cleretic posted:

I'm not far into Bravely Second, but it won me over the moment I got the second job, the Charioteer. Obtained from an ancient and extremely gung-ho warrior named after a mythological figure, it's a job whose ability is that they get better with weapons the more they use them in a fight. A fun idea, admittedly let down a bit by the fact that other melee characters already have A-rank ability with weapons.

Then you unlock Tri Wield, which lets you equip a third weapon on your head.

And later you unlock Quad Wield, which lets you equip another weapon instead of armor, too.

Frankly I was already sold when I realized who I was getting the job from, but I loved it to bits the moment I realized what they were doing. The Bravely games are spiritual sequels to Final Fantasy V, and they just gave us what we've been missing all this time: a Gilgamesh job!

The imagery for this is amazing. Someone with a weapon in each hand, another blade duct-taped to their head like a suction-cup dildo and one more just sort of taped to their chest, spinning wildly as he attacks.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

It's kind of weird when I think "What do you mean 'what does petting my cow do', it's always raised their milk quality you dummo" only to think that maybe, just maybe, not everyone has been playing Harvest Moon games since the SNES days.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Beastie posted:

Games that give you concept art or just some sort of wallpaper as a reward for achievements or trophies.

Example: Star Wars gives you amazing art for almost every achievement while R6 Siege gives you these dinky rear end icons of a grenade or a string of bullets.

I know I'll probably catch flak from people who say "why give a poo poo about this?" but if you want folks to care give them something cool to work for.

I didn't particularly like Mass Effect, but I loved that the game gave you in-game bonuses for getting achievements. Wish more games did that.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Because I just found out that people apparently didn't like this fact, I'm just going to put this in this thread apropos of nothing: the localization of Bravely Second rewrote the sidequests to remove the 'bad endings' to the choices you make. And holy poo poo was that a good choice.

Choices like that are a whole lot harder when the writers haven't preemptively decided that one of the two choices is wrong. Then it's up to you to actually make the choice yourself, and decide which one is the best option in your mind! Even when one of the choices is a loving Metal Gear villain's scheme, the fact that choice isn't frowned upon at all--and might work, in fact--is incredibly compelling and actually makes for interesting choices.

After being genuinely insulted by how badly Bethesda handled the big choice in Fallout 4, I am absolutely adoring that I've found a game that doesn't paint a choice I might want to make for personal reasons as wrong.

I'm confused - did they keep the choices, but rewrite what occurs in the ones that end the game prematurely?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Man it's going to be really nice to get back to refilling estus flasks rather than that bullshit with consumable blood vials.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Viperix posted:

Yeah, it's crazy, if you die, you can just... try again. No need to farm, no lost health, no weird soul memory clock ticking away inching you away from coop/pvp ranges.

I understand soul memory was to stop level-1 characters with high-level gear from going after low level players, but...can't they just use the souls used to level up and add it to the souls used to improve the gear you have equipped (with some modifiers for the cost of the materials used as well) as use that value range for multiplayer?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

SciFiDownBeat posted:

my favorite looney tunes bullshit in dark souls 2 is the two coffins you can climb into

one changes your character's gender which was funny because the first time I used it I didn't notice the change until after I got the four lord souls

Yeah I did the same thing, stepped out, ran around for some time, then at one point I noticed "Wait...when did my hair change into a ponytail? And apparently I also have breasts?"

I had to look online to find out what had happened.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

I always like when people play with games more than playing them by the rigid rules they put forth. Like in Dark Souls 3 there is a courtyard past one of the harder bosses that has nothing in it, just two crystal lizards and a path forward, but there were a number of messages like "Mob enemy ahead" or "Danger" that had me nervous - until I saw why they were placed. One time through that courtyard, blood red summon signs started appearing en masse. The messages became clear - the fans had turned it into a tiny PVP arena :3: What was once a functionless setpiece now has purpose beyond a couple of lame pickups.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/05/04/ridealong-the-underground-fight-clubs-of-dark-souls-iii/

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

But I guess this means Farooq is into rape and transphobia? At least we know this now.

I've been playing a bit of Hyper Light Drifter (they just added coop, so I'm looking forward to trying that out), and I like the complete and utter lack of dialogue, words, or anything like that. It really gives the game one hell of an alien feel.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Samfucius posted:

I've been playing Infinifactory and it's so drat satisfying to get all the little assembly lines working in tandem, but that's not the not-so-little-thing.

In any other given puzzle game where you are tasked with using various pieces (conveyor belts, welders, etc.) they would have some restriction on the pieces; either have a per-piece limit (you can only use four welders in this level or whatever), a total limit (only use 30 blocks) or an economy (you have $3000, conveyer belts are cheap but welders are super expensive). Said hypothetical other game would probably have a sandbox mode just to tease you as to what might have been. But this game does not do that at all. As soon as a piece is available, you can use the poo poo out of it. Your factories are only confined by the size of the stages, which are super generous with space. The game does give you little graphs at the end of the level to show you how you compared to other people's solutions (number of blocks used, size of factory, and number of cycles needed to meet your quota) but it just inspires you to try and be more efficient, it doesn't mandate it.

This game will bring out your inner autist. I am nowhere near the spectrum but seeing mechanical things work in perfect tandem is amazing.

If you like the show How It's Made you will probably love this game.

If you like that game but maybe prefer progression over just straight-up puzzles, you would probably love https://www.factorio.com/

You want to talk about bringing out your inner autist...well, the train mechanics alone fill up albums online, just displays of the 'best' railway configurations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I'm really happy that the new Odin Sphere Leifthrasir includes the entirety of the original game within it. Not a fan of the new combat system or skills or whatever? Start up Classic Mode, and play the game as if it was released for the first time, today! Except in HD and without all the godawful slowdown.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Between this thread and a couple of podcasts that I've been listening to all talking about FFX all at the same time for some reason...I kind of want to play it again, if only for the systems. The first time, I really disliked it, especially the characters, all of whom I thought were terrible (except Auron). And the stupid plot. But there've been times I've revisited games and enjoyed them much more than the first time...so eh maybe I'll give it a shot now that I got my hands on a Vita.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Cleretic posted:

God loving damnit. Okay, I'll grant Bravely Default one, like a year and a half after I played it, because it has a pun so sneaky that I only just recognized.

The leader of the duchy you spend much of the game fighting against is Knight Templar Braev, father of one of your party members, Edea Lee. The Templar class he uses, and which you get from him, is a largely defensive class based on building up BP through Defaulting and then expending it for one big shot.

Which means that in his fights, Braev Lee Defaults.

gently caress. Me. Like, I know that series loves puns, but jesus.

So in Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward, the voice actor for, uh, Zero Jr (an AI bunny...it's complicated) loving loooooooves her job. Like, holy poo poo, the range of voices she goes through while playing this psychotic thing is hilarious.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

they should possibly try focus testing with literate people, which would solve this. Portal is the opposite of a clever and subtle game and the narrative still goes over people's heads

I disagree. I think people believe this because Valve pulled back the curtain. After playing Half Life 2 and Portal and listening to the commentary about how they lead the player around, use a variety of techniques to lead the player's gaze, and slowly build vocabulary for the player, I played Halo and was immediately thrown by how...just bad the level design was. Large areas with no direction, bland hallways with no purpose, attacks coming places without cue, those sorts of things felt poorly made (game mechanics aside, I'm not arguing about those).

Edit: Unless we're talking about the narrative, which is...I mean it's there I guess? Crazy robot kills people in a lab...there's not much to elaborate on.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I got a Vita a couple months ago and have been going through it's backlog - just finished Tearaway, which is a very charming game about a paper craft world. And everything is made of paper here - characters, enemies (though they're made from newspaper), terrain, items, everything. It's really cute, and the ability to add your touches of customization here and there are great as well. I've got a frowny heart tattoo on my character, who has nine blinking eyes, there's a giant poster in one area with a big middle finger on it, and every picture that the game has of me makes me look psychotic. Pretty awesome.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Finally they're appealing to my fetish.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I'm playing a bit of Tokyo Mirage Sessions right now, and I'm really loving how the game just swan dives right into it's performance theme. Characters are called 'Artists', there are Dual and Duo attacks, Session attacks, Performances, Performa, and the dungeons are called Idolaspheres. It's just bananas and full of style and a nice departure from typical RPG fare.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite SS13 story is the one about the clown bots (or clones?). I don't remember details, just an intercom with someone talking interspersed with 'HONK' replacing every other word.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

theshim posted:

You are thinking of https://soundcloud.com/stephanosrex/honk-honk-butt

Angry Diplomat's writing makes SS13 stories even better, and the fact that StephanosRex read it is more amazing still :allears:

Oh man I don't know how I forgot about the BUTT's interspersed in there.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Mister Adequate posted:

And it's PharMercy who go to McD's, but only because they take their child D.va there!

Don't be silly, Soldier 76 is dad and Mercy is mom and DVa is the kid.

Christ obviously, guys.

Maybe they have an open relationship though I dunno.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Uh anyway so I'm playing SMT IV: Apocalypse and I love how easy demon fusing is in this one - there's a very robust search function that allows you to find specific demons you want to make, whether you have them or not, whether you want to search your compendium for demons to fuse or use specific demons in your inventory, it's great. I see that, for example, there's a level 6 Beast demon required for a specific fusion and I can just search for "Beast" "Level 1-9" "Use Compendium" "Only Demons I Don't Have" and bam, there's the demon I want (it was a cat thing with a hat). No more looking up FAQs and guessing poo poo.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Guy Mann posted:

Stardew Valley having a tedious fishing minigame is par for the course with the genre, but the little thing I love is that they recognized that a lot of players aren't keen on grinding out hundreds if not thousands of catches to reach the maximum fishing skill level and gave you the option of just making and setting crab pots that you can harvest every day for the same experience instead. They even let you focus your upgrade path on it so they become dirt cheap and even more lucrative.

Stardew Valley has my favourite fishing minigame because it's not a tired re-tread of "Throw bait out. Wait for bite. Press X to reel in when you see '!'. Keep pressing X to reel in fish while making sure it doesn't snap the line"

I am playing Yakuza 5 right now and the fishing game in that is so goddamn boring.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

WarLocke posted:

How the gently caress do you mess up/corrupt a save file so hard that it harms your actual installation?

I mean, outside of stuff like the uninstaller in the first printing of the Pool of Radiance remake I'm not sure how that's even possible.

I assume the save gets so hosed up that it starts rewriting the game memory proper (due to data overflows of some sort).

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Cleretic posted:

After picking it up again, I really like how Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate makes its jumping attacks and mounting SUPER useful and easy to pull off.

It would've been really easy to just make it a situational thing that's useful in a few places they designed for it like most games do, and that would've probably been fine. But instead they made the way more fun choice of being so generous with jumping attacks that you can literally pull one off and mount an enemy by leaping off a knee-sized step. As long as you're technically jumping from a higher part of the ground than your target is on, you're good.

As a player that constantly looks for dumb niche ways to get a leg up in fights, I appreciate that they gave me one this fun and useful.

In MH Generations they almost become too powerful - you get a 'style' which allows you to essentially jump at will. Most of my battles don't even involve me attacking the monster until I'm airborne or they're toppled. And because you can jump off of attacks if you time it well, I can get through a lot of tougher fights that typically would've been drat difficult for me otherwise, without even losing a life, or whatever they're called (revives?)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

Because Battlefield 1 is set in World War One you goddamn clowns, just like how Battlefield 1942 wasn't preceded by 1941 games.

Just like how Battlefield 2 is set during World War 2.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

My point is that people are being deliberately dumb about the title.

Yeah - I mean everyone knows it's referring to WW1, but it's still a really dumb name for a number of reasons.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I really enjoyed Firewatch - can't put my finger on exactly what it was, but it was a touching story. When the finale came, I stayed around the tower longer than I expected, kind of sad to see the place go. Didn't expect myself to get as into the game as much I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

spudsbuckley posted:

Played through Virginia yesterday.

It's an interesting idea but it just a bit shite in execution. Can't say i'd recommend it at all.

Can you elaborate? I've heard that it's very unorthodox, given how it does its cinema-style cutaways, but other than that not much.