Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Len posted:

Not overly surprised gamers freaked out over literally nothing.

Games For Windows Live straight up ate my Dark Souls saves. And that's with it working, at full capacity.

I have absolutely zero faith in Microsoft to gracefully ease out and shut down such an incredibly shoddy and hacked-together system, and I guess they don't either, judging by their decision to extend it 'indefinitely'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I recently got Super House of Dead Ninjas on Steam in a bundle, and I love the little announcer voices when you do fancy things, like double jumping just above spikes or pulling off a cool kill.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

oldpainless posted:

In dragons dogma I have a giant bald guy as my pc and three female pawns and I love to run his stamina out and then he stands with his hands on his knees gasping for breath while three women implore him to not die.

Dragon's Dogma is rad. I made my dude a scrawny little 12-year-old with an eye missing and just spent the whole game climbing on things and stabbing them in the back of the neck.

The character creator in DD was really good.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

The main storyline writing in Guild Wars 2 is terrible, but the incidental dialogue team deserves an award for their work. Everywhere you go, there's these pointless little conversations between NPCs that are fully voice acted. They serve absolutely no mechanical purpose beyond being kind of entertaining, but they're really good at making the world feel alive when the devs could have just copped out and filled towns with a bunch of generic NPCs who say nothing.

Even when major changes take place (like a whole town getting destroyed and rebuilt) the writers dutifully come up with new dialogue for dozens of NPCs and have them all recorded and voice acted. It's really charming and is one of the things that makes GW2 an engaging game to play.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

QuietLion posted:

Firewatch is mostly a walking simulator game in which you play as a forest fire lookout in a Wisconsin forest, and there aren't a ton of animals...besides raccoons. There's an entire set of Easter eggs dedicated to trash bandits, which includes a single raccoon sitting on a stump way off the main path. He will sit there forever trying to smash open a granola bar until you call your friend Delilah or get too close, and you can even take a picture of him. :3:

Since it's an Indie game I think they couldn't allocate too many resources to making woodland animals, but it tickles me that someone put his/her foot down and demanded that there be washing bears in this game!

One of the audio commentaries (which are also excellent, by the way) talks about how one of the creative team fought and fought to get the raccoon in the game.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I came home from work, loaded up Steam, and lo and behold: not only had one of my favourite recent budget tiles, Styx: Master of Shadows, recently released a sequel, but that sequel is on sale, too!

The dev team have learnt a lot of lessons from the first game, and so far it's been a joy to play. The levels seem to be way more diverse, and there's just so many options for navigating them. You can tell that this was made by fans of the Thief series because they've 100% nailed the feeling of moving all around the place and clowning on guards. Dishonored always kind of felt like I was being punished for not killing people, but this is definitely the opposite (although they seem to have plenty of options for lethal playstyles). I started out speccing to kill a lot more, like I did in the first game, but after the tutorial/first level, I felt completely at home ghosting maps, and there's more tools in there for you to do that now.

My favourite little thing so far is that the devs are totally on-board with how speedgamers or out-of-the-box players are thinking. In the second mission, you open a big fortress door for an airship, and then have to deliver an item to someone on board. You can clearly see that you're intended to wait for the airship to fly through the gate, under an archway, and dock at a wharf/jetty. Not only did they predict that people would try to jump down onto the airship, they actively encourage it, and when you nail the jump down, and then drop again and land on deck early, it just makes you feel awesome.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I've been playing Gigantic over the last couple of days (if you haven't heard of it, or it rings a bell, it's that half-MOBA half-class based shooter that's been in development for ages). I kind of get bored with a lot of class-based shooters, and never really played MOBAs, because the strategy usually gets stale really quickly, but I appreciate what Gigantic does by having a whole bunch of factors that mean you have to make decisions on what your team is going to do on the fly.

I guess my favourite little thing is that there's a tonne of characters/classes (like at least 16) but they all have a different playstyle, and actually feel useful and not just copy/pasted abilites, so you can generally find a few in different roles that you genuinely click with and find fun to play, and then use one of those depending on your team makeup.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Prototype 2 was in the last Humble Bundle, and I'm forever enamoured with the protagonist Heller getting frustrated with computers and deciding to just stab someone and eat their memories instead, to the continual horror of the supporting cast.

Also, there was a typing game in there called Epistory that I went in decidedly unexcited about, only to discover it's a jawdroppingly beautiful mix of Typing of the Dead and 2D Zelda games.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I bought A Hat in Time after it was recommended in the GDQ thread, and it's absolutely wonderful – probably my favourite game I've played this year.

One of the neat things you can do is collect tokens that you spend in a slot machine to get new skins for your hats, dyes for your clothes, and remixes for the game's soundtrack that you can replace the in-level music with. One of the dye colours, Forest Critter, reskins your character to look like Link from Wind Waker. It's pretty adorable!

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Perestroika posted:

Not to mention that they managed to include an actual loving nailgun in the middle of an otherwise fairly grounded arsenal of guns.

Perestroika posted:

otherwise fairly grounded arsenal of guns.

Perestroika posted:

otherwise fairly grounded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmxVzPqpkVg

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I picked up Dying Light in the recent Steam sale, and while I'm having way more fun than I thought I would with an open-world crafting-based survival game, one of the absolute worst things in the game are the Bombers. Like every zombie game that's come out in the history of forever, they've got to have a bunch of Special Infected that are the ALDI rebrands of the ones from Left 4 Dead, so of course you get the Kirkland Boomer.

These motherfuckers detonate on contact with you, and deal more damage than you can have health for the entire game I've played so far. In scripted missions, the devs love tossing these fuckers into areas that they know know players are going to traipse into, and delighting in the sick schadenfreude that comes from watching someone go from 0 to 60 in reverse thanks to an unpredictable festering gut bomb.

It sounds like I've got the wrong thread here, but the truth is I've been subjected to some kind of Stockholm syndrome and now I can't help but laugh when it happens because some of them are so hilariously horseshit that you know it was absolutely intended to be a joke. The one that broke me the other day was securing a safehouse, where to do so, you need to kill a bunch of zombies, and then get stuck in an animation to turn the power back on. While that happened, one of them bursts out of a previously locked toilet, and you have just enough time to exit the animation, turn around, and have your caveman brain drop the tumblers into place before a 6 foot tall ribcage stuffed full of guts violently obliterates into you into a fine mist.

I'm sure it's 100% not a coincidence that you get the exact same XP for securing a safehouse that you lose for dying at that point.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I'm very late to Horizon: Zero Dawn, and I'm enjoying the multitude of small details and fun little moments but my overall favourite little thing is Aloy's insane wall jump action. Eat poo poo Skyrim horses, nobody needs you anymore, I can get all the insane hill-hopping I want from my new future caveperson bff.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

There's a procedural downhill mountainbiking game on Steam free play this weekend called Descenders, and I decided to check it out. If you're playing with rumble, they absolutely nail the feeling of when you're going so fast that you don't need to pedal.

It's also just really chill to zone out to the soundtrack and ride bike down hill good.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I picked up Sundered: Enhanced Edition in the latest steam sale and it's really fun little metroidvania.

All of the models, animations and backdrops are hand-drawn (some of the enemies even have pencil lines you can see when they explode or do certain attacks). The skill tree works like the sphere grid or Path of Exile's huge wandering tree, and you can spec in a bunch of different ways.

I mostly just like the animation though, everything looks so great and charming.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I'm way behind the times and just finished my first run of Prey (2017). (Spoilers abound)

I'm probably not going to run through the rest of the game again for different endings, but is there a way to get just Mikhaila off with her dad's recording, and no other survivors? Considering that she's the only person on the station who can't use neuromods, combining her and a self-sacrifice destruction ending should prevent any typhons from ever reaching Earth, plus bring down Transtar.

I got the good ending but still got pinged with leaving with a single typhon mod, plus the fact that all of them are technically made from typhons anyway. I know ultimately it's all pointless but it'd be nice to know if there's an S-rank ending where you not only defeat the typhon invasion, but also ruin Transtar.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I never understood people talking about playing games like Civ for a little while and it suddenly becoming 4 in the morning.

Recently, I realised that I'd gotten the Titan Quest remaster for free because I owned the original, so I thought I'd check it out. I go to try out a build, and for some reason suddenly it's 3 hours later and I couldn't tell you anything else that happened in the room I'm in during that time. This poo poo is positively hypnotic. It's probably not good for me but holy poo poo I've never come across a game that can so effortlessly eat an evening, I'm honestly astonished at the sheer power of it.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Post poste posted:

Don't play Grim Dawn, the more polished not-sequel. It will devour you.

Funnily enough, I got Grim Dawn years ago before the TQ remaster, but it never grabbed me. I guess it was something to do with a lack of early game enemy variety and rooting around in literal trash for a good chunk of the first act that put me off.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Ever since watching a Shadow Warrior 2013 LP years ago, I've had Shadow Warrior 2 on my steam wishlist since. The other day, it dropped to $5, so I thought "why not? I'll give it a shot". It has a really fun and impressive first level, where you use your combination of melee and weapons to plough through an ancient temple infested with demons, and there's neat secrets to find.

Then, you finish that, and you're dumped into a hub that makes you do boring kill quests in a procedurally generated map Borderlands-style and upgrade guns with a million +0.5% damage modifiers and damage types and gently caress all this grindy horseshit.

So I bought Shadow Warrior 2013 that was also on sale. And boy, is it refreshing and fun to play a dedicated, level-based first person shooter/slicer that has secrets to look for, an upgrade tree that doesn't weight gameplay difficulty on grinding out everything, revels in switching up the combat with a variety of enemy types, and isn't a miserable Game-as-a-Service designed to make you play the same map generator poo poo over and over to unlock tiny incremental stat increases.

It's a sorry indictment on the landscape of video games in 2022 that I can play this mindless early 2010s franchise reboot and not have to worry about scouring it for every piece of content to make all my bars read maximum, and if I want I can choose between having guided rockets or a crossbow that shoots remote-triggered explosive bolts, and neither of these choices feel mandatory, but instead are purely up to me to pick based on what sounds fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

While I was complaining in the other thread, someone was extolling the virtues of Supraland. I checked it out on steam, saw the overwhelmingly positive rating, and that it had metroidvania and puzzle elements, and went for it.

Just finished the main story after 12 hours, incredible game, 5/5.

The aesthetic is fun and feels cool to run around, the puzzles are genuinely great with that awesome moment when you feel like a genius for solving them, and the way the powerups change the way you view the world feels amazing.

If you're the type of person who gets their kicks ferreting around every corner of the game world for secrets, this game is absolutely for you, it rules.

Re: the powerups when you get the magnetic buckle and realise that you can now interact in a whole new way with every single big metal object you previous thought was just set dressing, absolute chef's kiss moment.