Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Celery Face posted:

When your oxygen points in Everblue 2 go under 60 (out of 200), the diver's breathing starts sounding shallow and desperate. Which really helps the atmosphere, considering that the only time that's happened to me was when I got lost in the underwater temple/cruise ship/submarine and was desperately trying to find the exit before my oxygen ran out.

There really should be more underwater games.

Depth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Watch_Dogs has it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Warbird posted:

All if the negative reviews on stream are people mad about the flags. So that’s a pretty good endorsement IMO.

And the game is a lot of arcadey fun too!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Kitfox88 posted:

There's been a fair few big name franchised budget games that have been way better than you'd expect the past few years. Terminator Resistance is another good budget title that oozes the love the devs had for the source material, and I enjoyed the story as whack rear end timeloop shenanigans own.

Terminator: Resistance is a surprisingly fun and well-made game.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

But there's already an OK Judge Dredd game.

Judge Dredd vs. Judge Death is also a pretty fun game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMI3x3d7gEo

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Kitfox88 posted:

I can see a really, really awesome and amazing game deep under all the crud that CP2077 is saddled with and that makes me even more sad than if it was just crud top to bottom, yeah. It's still fun enough to play, and I'll likely grab it sometime down the line when all's said and done and there's a complete edition on steam for 75% off at christmas or something.

this, chop chop, i need the frogman to make me trip balls while we trip balls.

I bought CP2077 on release and never had any problems with it :shrug:

It has a fantastic story and a killer ending and the 1.3 patch just dropped which is supposed to clean up a lot of the problems some people were still having.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Don Gato posted:

Kids these days don't know the real sleepwalk of a squad full of people in flying suits armed with blaster launchers getting revenge for the first 2/3 of the game.

Vengeance is ours sayeth the Lobstermen

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Randalor posted:

... "Was it the tall bald fellow in the black suit with red tie"?

I'm sorry, I'm just trying to wrap my head around "Agatha Christie murder mystery" and "You play as a professional"professional" hitman".

No, you play as a "professional" hitman who is in disguise as a "famous" detective! That's pretty much exactly what happens

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
As I've gotten older, my fondness for gore has faded drastically. When I was in High School in the 70s, I was all about slasher flicks, the bloodier the better, but now? Just no.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Kitfox88 posted:

:same: Don't tie game outcomes to lethal/nonlethal choices if you want people to feel like they have freedom to do as they wish in your sandboxes, devs! Though I did crack open tallboys and the assassins in the flooded level with a primal rage, since Corvano can have little a kill as a treat.

1 was like that too, and it's why I did most of them that way. Enjoy your slave mines!

Jindosh getting a seat in his own chair was my favorite.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

christmas boots posted:

How many good console shooters were there before Halo? I know there was Goldeneye but it seems like Halo was the big moment for console shooters hitting the main stream.

Anyway below here are all the games I forgot about and reasons my statement is wrong:

Quake 2 for Playstation. I worked on that port.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
My favorite part in Deathloop is after Ending 3 the post-credits conversation is so :3:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Joey Freshwater posted:

Wait Ending 3??

Of course there are multiple endings. I’ve done a pretty solid job of not spoiling myself on the game.

Also I finally figured out that if you sit in one area long enough Julianna will come to you. I saw her across the map and sniped her one shot - it ruled

There is so much good dialogue in Deathloop. Colt and Julianna's banter is one of the best things about the game.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Deathloop encourages you murder people in exciting and bizarre ways and is also( really big spoiler picked up from reading all the bits of hidden lore in the intelligence sites, a bunch of stuff from the level design, and the final sequence)a stealth sequel to Dishonored

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
DX:HR is a fantastic game. I really enjoy the gameplay and the story and have replayed it several times even though I like Mankind Divided better.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Cleretic posted:

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is half of an amazing game. The other half was cancelled.

The three extra stories (Desperate Measures, System Rift, and A Criminal Past) make up for a lot of the missing content. System Rift's bank heist is especially good.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Can I continue ranting about how good the music in Deathloop is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFR5G42WRvg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umtt3L3bqZI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LiHd15ktwo

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And they're just the start of the real scary fish in the water.

Subnautica is full of little things, and a lot of stuff that's easy to miss. The difficulty of navigating given you have no real map does encourage you to figure out your own bearings rather than just fill out a map.

Remember your ACBs: Always Carry Beacons.

Great av/post combo. First time I ran into one during early access and they had just implemented the Ghost, I nearly poo poo myself

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

RCarr posted:

I liked playing Farcry back in the day but I got sick of buying the same exact game year after year. Is this one actually any different than the last 4?

I really liked 5, Joseph Seed is one of the best and creepiest video game villains ever...but, the zone boss levels really annoyed me.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Frank Frank posted:

The dragon encounters in DA Inquisition are absolutely perfect. The sense of scale, violence, tactics and even little stuff like the way the dragons move and react is just the way 12 year-old me would have imagined. It’s D&D come to life and I love it so much. It’s the first time I’ve ever felt the urge to pause a game and take screenshots.

The first time you come around the bend in the Hinterlands and run headfirst into Fereldan Frostback, is a moment of intense shock.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Bogmonster posted:

I just started Mafia III and I have to say, the presentation like it's a documentary with characters talking about the main character as if it's a piece of history is cool as hell

There really are a lot of good things in that game.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
F.E.A.R. 2 When you get to the elementary school and start reading the intel docs there as you proceed deeper and deeper into the building is some of the creepiest world-building ever.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Captain Hygiene posted:

I don't think I can come up with a better example of a game that commonly has me going, nah, I'm not gonna fast travel, it'll be more fun to just go there myself

Prototype came close, with the added benefit of being able to do an elbow drop on an M1 tank from the top of the Empire State Building.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I think The Hulk Ultimate Destruction (THUD) had the earliest 'open level, wall run to traverse' style movement of that type that I can remember, lot of fun on the Original Xbox.

Also made by Radical Entertainment. When they lost the Marvel license they made Prototype.

e;fb

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Roblo posted:

Me and some friends had fun playing that 4 player for a while. Being set in '80s Sweden was cool, but it didn't really go anywhere. Missed opportunity. Also the combat was insanely hard, you end up using all your ammo as a group of 4 trying to take out one mid sized robot. And there are...loads of them.

As that game goes on it gets easier as your skills ramp up and you start getting non-poo poo weapons. I was in a 2-player coop game where we ran into a named ApocalypseTank...we missed the fact that there was also a named Harvester nearby...and a group of Hunters...and then two more Tanks and a fuckton of Hunters arrived so we wound up in a running gun battle along a highway nicking away at whatever was closest with everything we had. We won, got some serious loot and backtracking our path it looked like a robot scrapyard because of some of the sympathetic explosions from the big guys taking out random Hunters and Runners.

That game rocks. The plot is some serious Outer Limits poo poo and it's so cool when you finally realize what the gently caress is actually going on.

Humbug Scoolbus has a new favorite as of 19:44 on Jan 8, 2022

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
drat double post

Humbug Scoolbus has a new favorite as of 20:29 on Jan 8, 2022

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Gen Zero is made by the same devs that created Just Cause and the absolutely amazing coop mutant dinosaur shooter Second Extinction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtvVuF3dE1c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmf0cLZezto

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
They polished the poo poo out of the AI since its initial release and I ended up in a house being swarmed by an absolute fuckton of dogs rushing inside. It has gotten a lot better.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Opopanax posted:

It was ok in Syndicate when it was a cut scene at the beginning and one at the end

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I love all the Hitman games, but I really have a soft spot for Absolution because it's one of the only ones where you can go into missions thinking, "I'm going to erase everybody" and not feel bad about doing it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

marshmallow creep posted:

I need to go back and finish Deathloop

:hmmyes:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Cyberpunk 2077 has a LOT to love and is a good game, but the hype level and expectations that people built up for it blind a lot of people to it. I absolutely loved it from start to finish.

So did I. I have played through it enough times to get all the endings for V and the voice messages during the end credits change depending on what you did and how you completed it and there is one set that is so absolutely brutal Throw the pills away ending

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Robert J. Omb posted:

Anyone know if I can now play it on my ancient, first gen XBox One, or have they finally decided that trying to optimise for about seventy systems was impractical?

The new AI falls under the 'Gameplay Rebalance' FYI.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

The Lone Badger posted:

The correct way to aim is of course kb+m.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Philippe posted:

I play games with the pinky on Shift, ring finger on A, middle finger on W, forefinger on D, and thumb on Spacebar.

I have my middle finger on 'S' (my key mapping is 'RMB' for forward, 'Space' for Back, 'W' for Aim, and 'S' for Jump...deal with it.) otherwise :same:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Prototype's Alex Mercer is just a monster, he'll kill everybody, eat them, and doppelganger them so he can sneak into their headquarters and kill and eat all their friends.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I loved AC:Syndicate the most of the series. Getting hypnotized was one of the best 'WTF just happened?' moments.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
gently caress Ted Faro

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Crowetron posted:

I'm replaying AssCreed Odyssey and falling in love with cliffs all over again. There's so many of them and enemies are all so eager to stand perilously close to the edge.

Deathloop and Colt's mighty foot helped me over my cliff withdrawal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Warframe is like 'you're a goddamn psychic ninja in power armor, why the gently caress would you take fall damage?'