Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

In Crysis 3 when you look down you see someone else's feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Mr E posted:

Watching ESA reminded me of something I wish was in more modern games: Otogi's environment destruction because you hit an enemy so hard that they flew through buildings. I loved how awesome the games made you feel, and Rising's the closest thing I can think of to it action game wise.

I was looking up Otogi recently because I remembered it being one of my favorite games, and I made the shocking discovery that it was published by the same people that published half of my favorite games from back in the day. Echo Night, Chromehounds, Tenchu, Otogi, and King's Field.

Basically From Software keep publishing games I like a whole bunch.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The part where he kills you.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

timp posted:

I appreciate it when a game can find a good way to tie in a co-op player in campaign mode, especially if it changes the story or dialogue. It's pretty easy with a random war game like CoD or Gears of War; just let player 2 control a redshirt soldier. But with more character-based games like something from the 007 world it gets tricky.

...Except now I'm trying to think of an example and I'm drawing a blank. I can think of a few games that did it poorly (Perfect Dark just threw in some random chick). Any games that do a great job of adding a co-op player? I know I've played some before...

Dead Rising 2: Off The Record, which is an alternate take on Dead Rising 2 where you play as the series first protag (Frank West), and the co-op player in that plays as the original DR2's main character, Chuck Greene.

In Dead Rising 3, the guy your co-op player plays as is a dude named Dick who shows up in cutscenes and even has a few lines, and he's always assumed to be somewhere nearby your main dude whether or not you're playing co-op.

Dead Rising is co-op goodness.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Any co-op game where you can gently caress each other over is guaranteed to be at least a little bit amazing.

See: almost every Mario game in the past decade or so.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The best menu option/setting for Xenoblade is the one on the console dashboard that ejects the game disc

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Kimmalah posted:

You can kind of gently caress yourself Dark Souls 2 multiplayer by leveling a lot and getting your soul memory really high really fast. Unless they fixed that somehow in the patches.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't even matter if you spend those souls, actually. Just getting them raises your soul memory, so you're slowly loving yourself out of cooperative and competitive range as you keep playing.

Kind of a "fix", but the last DLC is supposed to have a ring that prevents you from earning souls, giving you better items drops instead. This has the side-effect of halting all progress towards your soul memory.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Ryoshi posted:

I know a lot of people think he really phoned it in but I really like Peter Dinklage's semi-cynical robot voice in Destiny.

Babe Magnet has a new favorite as of 20:35 on Sep 26, 2014

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The Nemesis System is so goddamn cool and I can't wait for more games to steal it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

making GBS threads yourself when you fart too much in Fable is probably going to remain my favorite little thing in videogames forever.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

In Super Smash Brothers' various incarnations, when you paus the game in the middle of the match, the camera zooms in on the character who's player paused, and you can rotate the camera around a bit to get different angles and such.

In Smash 4, when you do that, your character's low-res gameplay model is replaced with the higher resolution model used to make that character's trophy, so your screenshots look nice.

Babe Magnet has a new favorite as of 12:50 on Oct 7, 2014

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I will, though.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

They do stay immune to arrows, because it's nothing to do with personal skill or ability that makes them immune, I assume. You can totally stealth kill a guy running away, though.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

N. Senada posted:

I like how they make up with this in the second region by giving more buffs to captains. Poison, bleeding damage, all that stuff. I had one guy who got me down on my knees in two hits. That guy wasn't messing around. And then I cut his head off.

You'll get those if you hang out in the first region for long enough, but yeah, they definitely seem a lot stronger in New Zealand.

I've been recommending this to all of my friends, but if you want the game to remain challenging, don't upgrade Talion's health, Celevision, or Elf-Shot past level one or two. You're not missing any rune slots or special abilities that way, it remains challenging simply because you can't make as many mistakes or you can't pop into infinite slow-mo to kill everything giving you a problem.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The game will not be good without the Nemesis System. There's nothing in the combat, the light RPG mechanics, the stealth gameplay, or the story that makes it stand out. At best, it will be incredibly average.

Buying the 360 or the PS3 version is buying the inferior version of the game.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Don't get me wrong, it's fun, it's just nothing special. Batman does combat better, Assassins Creed does stealth better, and there's many games that have better writing, so if you want any of those just buy a different game.

They don't hold the Nemesis system back or anything, but it's definitely the main draw of the game.

Male Man posted:

Right, but surely axing the unique models but keeping the reactivity with minimal footprint would be preferable to slicing up the entire system.

The Nemesis system would not be as good without the unique models, voices, and personalities. It sounds really shallow, yeah, but the reason it's something special instead of just a neat novelty is because each uruk feels like their own character instead of just a bunch of dudes with stats. These stories aren't about Orc That's Immune To Arrows, they're about Asgug Ranger Hunter who returned from the gave with a plate over his eye, threatening me with vengeance while his buddy Nom Fathead drools all over himself in the background.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

My favorite thing about Bayonetta 2 is that Bayo's rear end was so big it knocked 2.5 points off the Polygon review score.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Smelly posted:

The Uruk are extremely photogenic.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Terraria's water physics look like rear end.

But there's a new update coming out soon, and the updated liquid physics now look pretty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCETFMsrNxE

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

death .cab for qt posted:

I don't get it. It looks the exact same? What's changed?

There's actually a "before" companion to that video on their channel, so you can do the comparisons yourself!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnHpKjkHoxs

Basically it looks less chunky and solid, and it actually flows with at least some minor simulation of physics instead of just forward and then down.

But yeah, the best part about the terraria free updates is that each one is as big as, or even bigger, than the previous one. The next update's set to add almost a dozen new enemy types, a new survival wave, a moon boss, thousands of items, new biome types and mini-biomes, all sorts of fun stuff.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You can also play as animals like birds and cats now. Some kind of new drug trip mini-game.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

This is my new favorite thing in games.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Perestroika posted:

On that note, I really do enjoy that for Inquisition they've moved away from importing some file and instead just offered an online tool for fine-tuning your world state. It's been years since I played those other two games so I don't even have those files any more, and it's also incredibly handy for setting up an entirely different background for a replay.

Yeah, and when Hawke shows up, they just let you customize him with the same tools you used on your main character, with an extra section just for the blood-paint that only he has

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

My favorite little thing in games right now is that in Dragon Age I can immediately tell Sera to go the gently caress away forever. If for some reason you recruit her anyway, whenever you talk to her from then on, there's a dialogue option to tell her to go away forever as well. I don't know if it's something to do with the hidden friendship meter or my dialogue choices or what, but she's the only person you can do that second part with. I don't get the option when talking to Bull or Dorian or Blackwall.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The only reason I recruited her in the first place was because I'm still on my first run so I want to do as much as I can. I'm like 50 hours in and I'm barely at the halfway mark apparently, poo poo's tight. gently caress if I'm going to run her in my party when I have Varric around doing roguey stuff, though.

Another nice thing is that I went in expecting to hate Cole due to all of the promotional material making him out to be some sadsack edgy depressed guy, but it turns out he's pretty neat. Another good rogue choice.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Just don't buy it on PC.

The thread is a rollercoaster of porting issues. Several people in the thread can't even launch the game.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah, you, the player

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

The ability to pull out my enemy's' eyes before punching them to death as a melee character?

yeah also if you shoot an opponent's dick off what are you going to punch them in now, huh smart guys

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

quoting myself from the MKX thread

Babe Magnet posted:

Sub's a washout

e: here's the rest. they're unused/placeholder bios for MK4 Arcade Rev. 01

scorpion's kills me every time

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I don't like the survival/hypothermia mods because "try not to starve" is so stupidly easy in games like Skyrim because they're not designed around resource scarcity like that. In Fallout, it works, because a vast majority of food you'll find is actively harmful to you (rads), but for hunger mods to work in games like Skyrim or Oblivion hunger has to be tuned super high up to where it's usually no longer all the immersive. The mods really just end up being a "don't have a potato in your inventory at all times" tax instead of an actual gameplay mechanic.

As for stuff in games I actually like though, one of my favorite games from middle/highschool, Battle for Wesnoth, is still being updated almost a decade after release. It's mostly bug-fixes and balance changes for multiplayer but 8+ years after the game launched they just added a completely new multiplayer faction.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

So there was a minor controversy recently in regards to Pillars of Eternity about a limerick that was taken out of context and slammed by a particularly hateful individual on twitter until it blew up and game journos got to apply their own spins on it, since that's what happens to jokes these days.

For context: one of the kickstarter backer rewards was writing these epitaphs on tombstone found around the game world in random places. Little silly things that have nothing to do with the plot or setting of the game itself. There's a few dozen of them I think? Anyway, one of them was the above. It's a crude joke, sure, but some people took it to be transmisogynistic, which to be fair is a valid way to read it I guess. Anyway, the thing I like is that Obsidian, instead of just caving one way or another, actually got in contact with the guy who wrote it and asked him what he wanted to do. They could have just removed it or made their own changes and moved on, but for all of their faults, Obsidian is pretty good at courting their fanbase.

Anyway, now it reads:

e: Also another thing I like about Pillars of Eternity is basically everything about it in its entirety

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

If I recall that one has a little jokey rhyme too.

More PoE: this guy you meet in a whorehouse

and if you click the first option...

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

My favorite thing about Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin is that my really angry roommate is in the next room getting rocked by it and is yelling at the top of his lungs and me and my bros are laughing at him here in the living room

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Earlier we were "coaching" him (I got him to run off a ledge, other roommate led him into a trap room full of enemies) but he made us get out, I'm afraid he'll attack me if I gently caress with him now

dude threw my controller after I beat his rear end at MKX though, so he's basically dead to me at this point

e: favorite thing about MKX is Shinnok's baby t-rex arms in his necromancer variation

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Sleeveless posted:

Not so long as Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is around.

Metal Gear Rising Revengeance isn't a metal gear solid game, bitchnerd

Chard posted:

It is the best MGS song and I'll fight anyone who disagrees.

https://soundcloud.com/beeeeees/dirty-snake

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The best way to play Shadow of Mordor is not buy more than the first one or two tiers of upgrades for Talion. Buy all your moves, yeah, but don't upgrade your health or your damage or your arrow count. That way the game actually remains a challenge past the halfway point.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Efexeye posted:

My first experience with Morrowind was, in the first 10 minutes, either finding or crafting (can't remember) a potion that let me jump higher than the clouds, and dying when I had no way to get back down except for falling. My last experience was my XBOX eating my level 46 character save file and quitting the game in disgust.

Scrolls of Icarian flight, on the corpse of Tarhiel, a bosmer wizard that crash lands in front of you if you follow the western road out of Seyda Neen. Fun Fact: you get three scrolls, and if you use another one right before you land, you'll survive the fall. As long as you're under the Fortify Acrobatics effect you won't take fall damage from heights at or less than your new jumping height. It's just that the effect only lasts 7 seconds while you're airborn for much longer.

Mierenneuker posted:

Edit: With my first character I walked all the way from Balmora to the town where you can join the Imperial Legion (Gnisis?). That was quite a journey of it's own, because I went through the swamps instead of sticking to the roads. I don't think I ever was in danger of dying, but I definitely was cautious at the sight of every new creature. I remember revisiting that area during a Daedric quest and it definitely felt different at that point.

Yeah Gnisis is on almost the opposite end of the continent (North/South at least), it's a journey filled with a lot of cool little dungeons

Morrowind is 120% my poo poo, I can recite much of the game's content by memory. It's the only game I owned for like 4 months and I played it so much the disc warped. My personal favorite little thing is the upgraded version of a daedric (legendary) katana, Goldbrand that is called Eltronbrand. In the original, unpatched Morrowind you had to follow a seemingly random, convoluted process to get it, and the only reason it exists is to poke at a rival NBA team, the Carolina Tarheels (which is why the idiot wizard who kills himself is named Tarhiel)

If you followed the steps properly, when you got Eltronbrand in your inventory, a script would read out saying "Go to hell, Carolina!"

Babe Magnet has a new favorite as of 21:06 on May 26, 2015

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Whoops, got confused, there as an NBA player named Elton Brand who was a member of a college team that was a developers favorite team, who as a rival of the Tarheels.

I don't know poo poo about basketball I didn't learn from watching Space Jam

Babe Magnet has a new favorite as of 21:15 on May 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

video games