Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Polaron posted:

Fallout: New Vegas

Cass: "Now let's go find Gloria and make that bitch eat her hair."

Objective: Find Gloria Van Graff at the Silver Rush and make that bitch eat her hair.

Possibly the funniest game objective I have ever seen, just because of the perfect comedic timing of it popping up right after Cass says her line.

Saint's Row 4 has the objective "Be a badass" pop up while The Touch is playing in the background. If I remember right, there's no one telling you specifically what to do via radio for once, no mission marker you have to run to, no NPC to follow. Just be a badass and listen to awesomely terrible 80s music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

It's all explained in the third one. Just keep playing.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Exit Strategy posted:

I'm actually trying to think of other games that give you two explicit options for a choice and accept a third. That really did push me over into loving that game.

At the end of Mass Effect 3 I shot the kid instead of instead of choosing one of his bullshit endings. It was perfect. My paragon Shepherd finally snapped.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Watch some gameplay videos. It's very different. I loved Origins, but I was also one of the people who quit Dragons Age 2 a few hours in.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Bhodi posted:

Hmm yes let's take a look at my recently played and see if games are indeed nothing but zombie survival

Dark Souls 2: A story that is almost exclusively told through item descriptions
You literally play as a zombie in the Dark Souls games. And the game world is full of almost nothing but other reanimated undead. Good example.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Austrian mook posted:

Normal person: hey, they added in some real brands from the 50s. That's pretty cool!
Goon: loving sperg. Piece of poo poo human being, I'm way better than you are for enjoying that.

Whenever I send work emails, I will always pray the receiver isn't as bad at interpreting tone as you.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Forums?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

I think he lame as gently caress. Sorry bro

You're thinking of Batgirl.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

MGSV might become the first game I've paid full price for in well over a year.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

In the final moments of the Last of Us, the game hands you a flamethrower when you confront some doctors who aren't exactly presented as enemies. I probably would have found a way to proceed without killing them, but I really wanted to use that flamethrower. It was a cool way to tempt the player to make a rash decision for the protagonist. At least, that's how I remember the ending.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

bewilderment posted:

There was a blond sorceress and I said to my girlfriend "I heard you could do a quest and you sex her" and she said "hell yeah, show me" and that led to literally like six hours of sidequesting and mainquesting for her before you get sex.

Every now and then, I get the urge to try Witcher 3. Then posts like these remind me why I never even finished the first one.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Kruller posted:

Saint's Row 2 had a similar bug made feature, solely because it was funny. The shock paddles you get for completing the ambulance missions would launch someone laying perfectly flat on their back into space. It was funny enough that Volition released a video showing exactly how to do it every time, which of course I now cannot find.

I vaguely remember something like that in Saints Row 3. There is a mission where you are chased out of a bondage club by people in carriages pulled by gimps. In development, Volition forgot to to unflag the carriages and gimps as vehicles, so they would explode whenever they crashed or took a certain amount of damage. The end result was funny enough that they never bothered to fix it.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I min-maxed the system to make an awesome support pawn. People must have used him a lot, because that motherfucking knew about everything I ever ran into.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Junkrat but instead happy birthday happy birthday happy birthday happy birthday.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

If you change your PS2's location to an extremely cold climate, his bees hibernate.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Can you do this in Dark messiah? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXWYbHfjrj4 1 nil to Dishonoured.

Oh hell yeah, trick kills in Dishonored rule

Spoilers for the final level:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf3PAK9tsmc

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Forgotten Sands was really good, and I wish it was better received. My favorite little thing about it was that gaining xp was a plot point.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

In Paper Mario: The Origami King, Toads that you find in the overworld fill up bleachers and cheer you on during battles. In the final fight of the game, it's revealed that the bad guy wants to genocide all Toads. And I brought 400 Toads to watch me beat him up.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Bloodborne had good ladders.

https://youtu.be/HPjJCVylFBo

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

It's really dumb, but it makes me happy that I can recreate the lightsaber I made at Disney in Jedi: Fallen Order. Also your character has canned responses to most of the environment details your droid scans. It's always funny when a scan reveals a tragic story of the Empire burning down a family's home with them in it, and your character just says, "Nice."

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Morpheus posted:

Think I'm about 3/4 of the way through Guardians of the Galaxy and its really wild how much the writing in this game absolutely puts BioWare writing to shame. Like, it's a similar sort of setting as Mass Effect where you control a human with a bunch of alien crew members from disparate backgrounds that fight alongside you, but GoG's writing actually makes it feel like they care about each other, unlike Mass Effect's is basically talking to someone three times after missions and then loving them.

Like, I just finished chapter 11, where you go into Drax's mind to save him from the promise and I just want to give him a hug. Similarly, learning about Rocket's past gives some real similar vibes to, for example, Kaiden, but delivered well as opposed to robotically in a series of bland conversations.

I know nothing can happen to these guys because they're established Marvel characters but I am still deeply concerned about their emotional state and if anything happened to Groot I would kill everyone on the bad guy ship and then blow it up.
I really liked how the characters change throughout the game. At the beginning, Rocket would get angry at everything anyone did, and I was honestly getting tired of his poo poo. Then fast forward to me thinking, "hell yeah, little guy," when he jumps into water without hesitating. Same with Groot making bridges on his own initiative, and Drax starting to call people by their names.

Rockman Reserve posted:

Now I’m onto Moreau’s area (after picking up basically everything not nailed down in the titular village and getting some food-based upgrades) and it’s a fun change of pace, I’m completely loaded up with upgraded guns and ammo and Ethan is just openly mocking the fat fishy bastard.

Game owns.
He may not be as loved as classic RE protagonists, but I love Ethan and his defining trait of being a normal guy who is completely over the spooky things happening around him.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Death's Door supports ultrawide monitors, which I didn't expect for an indie(?) game like that. And it looked great on it. I also really enjoyed that the final boss takes a moment before the fight to let you know that stopping them can only end in killing them. And they won't just let themselves die, so they'll be fighting for their life. It really made it feel like the fight was between two characters with agendas and stakes. Even though mechanically it wasn't that different than other video game boss fights, it helped make it feel like they were throwing everything they had at you

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I'm giving Final Fantasy 13 another shot after bouncing off it over a decade ago. It's a dumb little thing, but I really like how the background pictures in the menu animate a few frames when you select a character. It's a neat effect.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I'm playing it in 4k, and the visuals hold up really well. I liked how this game and FFXII did their battle systems. I would definitely play a new RPG that uses the Gambit system

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I liked the lightning shotgun.

I just started Tears of the Kingdom, and I like how all the npcs in the starting area look like Phong from Reboot

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

The main menu of the Dead Space remake just loads in the last place you saved. If you hit "Continue Game," you immediately take control of your character. It rules

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Lobok posted:

A damp siren, sure. MJ was one.

at least before she died, she spied her man

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Horizon Forbidden West is really making me appreciate how good the mounts in Assassins Creed are about staying on the roads

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I just started Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth. Similar to the first game, I really like how it handles humor. A lot of JRPGs go way over the top when something funny is supposed to happen. They'll show a bunch of characters having extreme reactions or at least play a funny "womp womp" sound effect. But FF7 just lets the joke play and moves on.

For example: I love Red XIII's nod when Barrett tells Tifa, Aerith, and Cloud to stop going on dates while fleeing Shrinra, like he was part of the conversation. No one acknowledges it, and the game doesn't dwell on it. We just get a pretty funny joke and move on to the next thing. Video here.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Phy posted:

Same, but I guess Tomb Raider thinks that's what it's called

https://www.tombraider.com/products/games/tomb-raider-definitive-survivor-trilogy

Resident Evil already took the name Survivor for a beloved spin-off trilogy of a classic franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

There are spoilers in Outer Wilds. If I had known it was a time-loop, I wouldn't have played it. I don't like that kind of stuff. I appreciated Deathloop being upfront with it so I wouldn't buy it and then end up returning it immediately.

I also usually hate timeloop games, but I loved Outer Wilds and Deathloop. My biggest beef with timeloops (and roguelikes and any game that expects you to play NG+) is that I don't like it when a game makes you do the same thing over and over again. At a certain point, it all just feels like padding. Since OW and Deathloop are actually puzzle games, you generally aren't forced to repeat very much at all.