Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008
In Injustice: Gods Among Us Superman has a dash punch special that looks like an actual MMA superman punch.

MrJacobs has a new favorite as of 04:08 on Jun 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

jojoinnit posted:

The random info assigned in Watch_Dogs can be spookily precisient sometimes:

Look at the name too.

It can also be hilarious with such interesting info on peoples profiles such as: Huffs Paint. and Sexually Attracted to Musical Instruments.

I failed a mission from laughing at those two.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Lamprey Cannon posted:

Wait until you get the hang of the movement system. You are playing a game where you can powerslide into an enemy, knife them in the face, then pick them up and throw them into another enemy. The look of dull surprise as you powerbomb a zombie never gets old.

Holy poo poo. Not baseball slide, but powerslide like doing a guitar solo powerslide? Complete with miming a facemelting solo? If that's the case I know what I'm buying next if I can go from air guitar solo to knife to the face.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

carry on then posted:

I'm still waiting for a game to take place in Phoenix. Ideally something like Watch Dogs but I'd settle for a single level. We're not that bad.

Make it like that scene in Chronicles of Riddick where you have to outrun the sun or be cooked alive.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

JebanyPedal posted:

I don't understand the insistence that everything else about Mordor is average, it's not.
The combat is fluid and responsive in ways that even the Batman games aren't, notably how good the game is at responding to your button presses when you're countering, the execute system is pretty great and the loot you get can give you further incentives to get streaks. You actually need to get decent streaks to clear out mobs, which seems to be a much greater incentive than in the Batman games. The animations and timing in Batman may make it seem more fluid, but I recall the controls in Batman refusing to do what I wanted far more often than in Mordor.

Having just played it, I have to say that the reason combat is easier is because it rewards mashing compared to the Arkham games where it will gently caress you over. You can cancel into a counter at almost anytime and the combat doesn't reward controlling the area like Batman or even Sleeping Dogs do. You can even counter during a ground execution, making spacing and timing trivial for a combat system initially designed for it. That being said, it is drat fun and is the best Batman combat clone after the Arhkham series and Sleeping Dogs.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Captain Lavender posted:

I'm not challenging you here, I'm genuinely curious, can you remember any parts that were inadequately explained? I had played the old games, so I might of just missed it.

I just bought Halo: MCC collection for Purtyfied Halo 2, and the (lovely) multiplayer :( and did a big-rear end playthrough of all the campaigns from Reach,1,2,ODST(cause its awesome)3,&4 . The only references are throw away lines like "remember Reach" and that it was blown up by a big rear end fleet. Thats all that was ever explained outside of Halo: Reach itself.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Yeah I almost wrote in Vice City but that was what, 10 years ago?

Yeah cause the 80s have changed so much in 10 years.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

PeachHat! posted:

I've heard the Fable games get a lot of flack, but I for one love their quirky, barely-trying-to-bother-being-serious style more than I hate their various issues. Fable III probably had my favorite example of this. As part of the main storyline, you have to gain the trust of the Super Secret Underground Resistance so you can join them in their fight against your evil brother. To do this, you have to obtain a certain amount of quest tokens, which you get for going around and completing various other missions in the game. However, you can also get them, albeit only one at a time, by interacting with the various inhabitants of Albion...tell them a joke, do a chicken dance, hug them, that sort of thing. So if you have opened the Rude Interactions ability after leveling up and you have the patience; it is possible to gain the trust of the Super Secret Underground Resistance simply by farting on every single person you meet.

I am ten years old.

Nothing beats the time a friend and I decided to make co-op pants making GBS threads a thing in the middle of Bowerstone in Fable 2. Both of you intentionally fail the fart emote and bask in the joy of being 10 years old again. The fact that they removed the emote wheel and all the fun with it in 3 was criminal. :( Still a good game though.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

moosecow333 posted:

Obviously we just need a Saint's Row game with the same level of destruction that Red Faction had :getin:

They did. Red Faction Guerrilla had the same controls and driving mechanics and fun of Saints Row 2. It just didn't have the customization or character creator. It did have a gun that atomized people though and a Paul Bunyon sledgehammer so it evens out.

Tiggum posted:

The radio is a bit of a problem in SR4 in more ways than that. There just aren't enough songs. It's fine in the earlier games because you only hear the radio when you're driving (or briefly in your crib where it always seemed to be playing Karma Chameleon for some reason), but when you can have the radio on all the time it ends up repeating too much. And as bad as it is with the music, it's even worse with the DJs. Zinyak and Jane reading Shakespeare is funny the first time, but it gets old.

Everything gets old if you leave the radio on all the time or put insane hours into a game. Even the game gets old.

All of the re-incarnation animations after you die in Sunset Overdrive are goddamned amazing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-ZIFCiHZHQ

MrJacobs has a new favorite as of 19:24 on Jan 17, 2015

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

TontoCorazon posted:

Don't know if you can count it as a small thing but that hammer is probably in the top twenty of best game weapons ever.

I pretty much used the hammer 24/7 until I got the atomizer gun, then I just used the hammer 70% of the time. It was so goddamn fun to hit dudes with it and send them 40 feet away with a single swing as they ragdolled to their hilarious doom.

Kalos posted:

The destruction in general, made a game that would have otherwise been tedious and bland into a shitload of fun. I think I completed almost every hostage rescue by driving a truck through the wall of the room they were held in. The hammer was for making my own doors when I had to go in on foot.

Also if the thrown remote explosives weren't your primary ranged weapon, then you were literally playing the game wrong

The game had a gun that turned anything it shot at into particles of loving dust. Walls, people, vehicles, whatever. Explosives are just meh when you can atomize motherfuckers in an instant.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Who What Now posted:

Anyone who doesn't love Ocelot and his weird as hell gimmicks are dead inside. But nothing beats (spoilers for the very end of the game): Ocelot and Snake fighting in the plane as it tries to take off. Throughout the whole game Snake has absolutely trounced Ocelot, but each time Ocelot does a little bit better, perfectly mirroring Snake's interactions with the Boss. So naturally their final fight has them on almost even footing, with Snake only having a slight advantage. During the fight Ocelot sees an opportunity to take a jab and blind Snake... In his already blind eye. So he thumps Snake's eyepatch and they both stop to have a laugh about it when they realize what happened. :kimchi:

To be fair, in that fight Big Boss already went through hell and even his with superpower of being able to instantly heal from electrocution, drowning, getting shot in the leg and the eye, he had a really bad day. It took all of that for Ocelot to be on even footing with him. Which is probably why he has such a man-crush on Big Boss.

Ocelot man-crush is loving hilarious. Can't wait for Phantom Pain.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Daedo posted:

Wolfenstein had lots of little fun things in it but one of my favourites was when you are in a Nazi garage. There's a car that's up on blocks that's getting repaired and you can interact with it to get BJ to climb in and pretend he's driving. Complete with "broom broom" noises made by his mouth and him picking up an imaginary female hitchhiker.

"I'm commin' fer you, ya Nazi fuckin spaceman!" :allears:

I did get a big kick out of having the Nazi's force the Beatles to sing everything in German according to some of the newspaper articles you find. Also that America is a terrorist filled wasteland of freedom fighters even after getting nuked into surrendering. They have nothing to do with the plot, but are really weird and cool to find throughout the game.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Microcline posted:

"Nothing is true and everything is permitted" used to mean "don't think too hard about it, we wanted to make a game where you're a good guy and still kill people for money" before the series disappeared up it's own rear end in a top hat.

Four is the worst about it. It goes on and on about the evils of being a pirate and then Kenway redeems himself by joining a slightly different group of anarchists who kill people for money.

Ubisoft has a real problem with thinking they're smarter than they actually are.

When did the Assassin's in 4 kill people for money as opposed to their own little war?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Ducks can be clicked. They are adorable.

Can you pop them too? 'Cause that would be awesome.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Perry Normal posted:

Interesting. See, I was thinking that Knight's area was relatively in the same spot that the new part of town from Origins was in. Looking it up, I can see that's not the case.

But the new part they added for Origins isn't in Knight. You can see City landmarks like the Wonder Tower and Ivy's place, but the new area isn't there. The bridge to the new area in Origins connected to the City area by a bridge in the industrial area. There's nothing beyond the industrial area in Knight, just water. There's a bridge that looks like it connects somewhere in the Bowery, but the area that it leads to doesn't really look like the skyscraper-ey new area they added in Origins.

Apparently the Royal Hotel from Origins can be seen in the game.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

I want to say Hulk: Ultimate Destruction had a count of how much damage you did. God I wish they'd make another one of those. I've mentioned it before in this thread but it is top tier as far as superhero games go. Hell, freeroaming games in general. Elbow dropping tanks and knocking down buildings.

Superman Returns was a lovely game but I loved the flying mechanics about it. Mainly because if you got up high and got up enough speed you'd break the sound barrier and create a sonic boom.

Hulk: UD was the best superhero game ever until the current champion of Batman Arkham City came along. Smashing box trucks down and using them as a skateboard never got old.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

WaltherFeng posted:

So I was playing MGS4 again after many years and while MGS itself is Little Things: The Game, there are few things that always caught my eye:

When switching shoulder views, Snake simply switches the stock to his left shoulder while using right arm as the trigger. It's cool detail and actually has some real life applications.

The chase scene in chapter 3 while playing with lethal weapons is practically just an interactive cutscene. However during Non-Lethal Big Boss runs this becomes the hardest part in the entire game and you have to use numerous weapons and techniques such as MK2 reloading trick, auto-aim, manual aim, non-lethal shotgun, non-lethal grenades and exploding barrels for best results. It's the most well done scripted chase sequence I've ever played.

So by this logic is virtua cop an interactive cutscene? Since the whole section is just a lightgun game on a pad, and its awesome lethal or non-lethal.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

TontoCorazon posted:

Which button is this cause I tried every button

it might be d-pad right. I do know that it changes depending on alignment so if you are evil you straight insult people.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

haveblue posted:

There was a brief period in the mid-2000s where everyone was sure that in-game billboards were the next big goldmine. Turned out that when viewers had control over where their attention is directed, they weren't going to direct it to ads, so they just functioned as distractions.

No, they were just an experiment that was designed to make games cheaper to make since you could get some easy ad money and the consumer wouldn't give a poo poo. The big "experiments" were when things like Prince of Persia: Sands of Time were released for free but with ads during intro and load screens that were unskippable. People just found a way to remove those and get a free game though.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Nuebot posted:

They realized part of their user based will spend stupid amounts of money on the cash shop, and that they don't actually have to give a poo poo about the rest of their userbase because they're not actively shelling out thousands of dollars on RNG boxes that have a like 1% chance of giving you a decorative item you can even use.

No poo poo there was a topic on their forums complaining about how batshit insane the rates on these things and the dust you got for them were, and staff members were like "This is fine, you get a free box every week." so people who actually did spend money crunched some numbers and came to the conclusion that to get a full set of cosmetic items for your stupid wolf armor, it took on average about 100 boxes. That's 100 weeks if you're not buying them. They didn't think anything was wrong with that.

They're cosmetic items. There IS nothing wrong with that.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Blind Sally posted:

never played f.e.a.r. before. i'm three missions in when a loading screen tells me i can do bicycle kicks and slide kicks. i start doing these in slow motion--holy gently caress is this game suddenly way more fun than it was a moment ago

you can also holster your guns and just slo-mo kung-fu your way through human enemies.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

jojoinnit posted:

I had loads of fun with it :kiddo:

Will admit to being the dumb kid who also found value in the N64 Mission Impossible game so maybe I've just got a blind spot for licensed Tom Cruise properties (That's he's too much of an rear end in a top hat to let feature his face or voice so we always end up with "not quite Ethan Hawkes but kinda if you squint").

Are you sure it isn't "Tom Cruise is WAY too expensive for this poo poo"? That makes more sense than just refusing, but it wouldn't surprise me if that is indeed what happened.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

SEKCobra posted:

Actually, I got all my news reports as a popup TV broadcast?

While looking at an already active tv?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Guy Mann posted:

Die Hard: Vendetta was a pretty crummy console FPS from 2002 but the one thing it did so, so right is that whenever you entered its version of Max Payne's bullet time it would play Beethoven's Ode to Joy :krad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SItneaCQEKs

That and John McClane is left handed in the game.

Edit: Oh, poo poo I was thinking of a different Die Hard game.

MrJacobs has a new favorite as of 06:53 on Mar 18, 2017

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

In SR3 I had a russian-asian boss and it was pretty silly and fun. In SR2 I had a cockney boss in a full three piece suit with a bowler hat, the pimp cane, and a slight scar on his face and he was a straight psychopath. Absolutely the best thing about that game.

Co-op is the best thing, not some kind of scar dude with a bowler. I remember a friend and I decided to beat the game as Keenan and Kel, much hilarity ensued as we proceeded to get smashed and conquer stillwater as 90s nickelodeon icons.

The in Saints Row 3 we decided to make Will and Carlton from the Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

They can scrub toliets or something I dunno

Yeah and after 2 years, they get a brush.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

I do like the tension in how those fights begin though. You climb the little tower, hack into it, then ohhhhh poo poo... the towers are sinking, there's nowhere to hide, that BARRIERS GOING DOWN I'M GOING TO DIE!!! :v:

Wait, you don't set all your traps around the room before starting to help thin/control the crowd?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

You can indeed, and the jumper as well.

You can also shoot ScoutX pictures from the jumper or the drone. Walking there and opening the camera app is so tedious in a direct comparison.

Yeah but then you can't get poo poo on a photobombed by the tourists when you take a selfie with the scoutx spot.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Digirat posted:

Specially tailored names for link will never not be funny to me

"Hey, what's up, FUCKER? Surprised to see me?"

Dammit is one of the best Zelda names , like everyone is just getting more and more annoyed when you interact with them.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

It's actually not a fan translation but one of those English/Japanese differences like Terra and Tina. They changed it for obvious reasons but for example if you play Dissidia in the Japanese version their name pops up in English text different from the English text in the English version.

So its "Butts Closer" when translated properly?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

It's no Solstice theme

Well yeah, but MM3 is probably a close second.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

LawfulWaffle posted:

I think this is only for the starting weapon, the sword? You get a few more and I think one can target 5 enemies at a time. It's also a really brutal game for it's cartoony style
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKHAEkRKwWY

Its basically Mulan/Pocahontas animation with brutal and visceral kills. I loved Mark of Kri and each weapon was awesome. Stealth wasn't that bad, but the combat shined for the time. I'll have to go back to it to see how its held up.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Calaveron posted:

The Z, O, and I keys on the Switch Enter Code menu are grayed out to avoid confusion whenever you're inputting codes which I think is very considerate of them

Not gonna lie, thats pretty loving brilliant.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Yakuza Kiwami has added elements that refer back to Yakuza 0, and Kiwami 2 is looking like it'll call back to 0 even more, so it's looking like the "intended" way now is to start with 0, for what it's worth.

0 also does an important job of fleshing out the antagonist of Kiwami.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

I've played Horizon Zero Dawn for probably over 150 hours of my life and I just now realized that there's a literal horizontal line running through the logo.

Also in the new DLC area if you chase after squirrels long enough they'll run up trees to get away. GOTY.

How the gently caress are there squirrels? I thought That only a handful of animals survived across the planet since those are the only ones they could save in time. Hence the limited number of animals in the first game.

Unless they are robot squirrels.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Lechtansi posted:

Also, in all the TN* games I appreciate that BJ isn't the leader, he's the muscle. He gets the worldwide fame, but it's other people who actually lead the resistance. TNC spoiler like how grace and Horton give the final speech to the camera and BJ just stands in the background.. I know it's not much, but I like the trope reversal.

Also, Is there an in universe explanation as to why BJ can shrug off 10+ bullets and hand grenades before going down? I haven't played the new blood, do they talk about it there?

SkeletonHero posted:

No, but considering that (spoilers for end of TNO/beginning of TNC) a single hand grenade fucks him up to the point of turning him paraplegic even after getting top-notch medical attention it probably is running on the D&D/Uncharted rule where the only real hit point is the last one and the rest is just BJ's luck/will to fight.

Alternatively, somebody in the Wolfenstein thread did the math and a fully-armored BJ is a lot tougher than the best tanks deployed in the real WWII.

e: adding another Wolfenstein little thing, this time from Old Blood. BJ can interact with a skull at one point, during which he recites Shakespeare to himself, drops it, apologizes to nobody in particular, and awkwardly places it back where he found it. It is the most realistic scene in the series, perhaps in all of gaming.

Yeah they do explain it, visually. BJ gains power from his immense hatred of Nazis. This is why he was comatose for so long and still in fantastic shape despite the fact that his body should have atrophied. Once he saw Nazis in the hospital his body refused to wither, and eventually his hatred of Nazis gave him the ability to awaken from his comatose state and murder all the god-damned Nazis. Every other Nazi that stabbed or drugged him just made him angrier and fulll of even more nazi killing hatred so he was relatively unaffected. At the end of TNO BJ thinks he killed all the Nazis he could and just allows himself to die finally.... until the sequel when even more Nazi's show up.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn starts off by asking you what language you want the text in, the dialogue and then if you want subtitles or not. So we're off to a great start.

Until a game gives me an option to have all dialogue in sign language, this isn't that impressive.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

You actually made me legitimately curious if someone could ever model that. Im sure it'd be exhausting.

Model? Just have a live-action someone in the corner like a live stream. Who cares if it makes sense or matches the game aesthetic it will be funny. More so if a lot of profanity and slang are involved or they wore costumes to reflect the game they are signing for.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Oh, I thought you'd beaten it already.

I just mean how- while doing the main story- sometimes you'll do something special, Joker will comment throughout the in engine cutscene and then try and take a swing at you instead of walking off screen and disappearing once he's off-camera.

He also replaced certain thug models some fights later in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Leavemywife posted:

Until you gained a level, then his healing factor amped the gently caress up to restore his tank top.

I love that game way more than I should. It's loving fantastic.

I never knew any of this.

Because I was too busy running around in the classic blue and yellow. It was so out of place and stupid I couldn't help but use it.