Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I could grow to like this trend of sub-par IPs going to other companies and becoming something better. Far Cry went to Ubisoft and became something I consider much more interesting, and Crytek is doing the same thing with Homefront.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The XP cost on mind reading really deterred me. I never got very far in the game, so maybe the rate for earning xp ramps up a bunch, but early on a mind-reading seems like a big investment for little pay-off.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I remember Rainbow Six Vegas 2's co-op was fun. The Terrorist Hunt missions were a lot of fun and often very challenging, and in the campaign the second player just dropped in as another Rainbow operative. Having another player in the co-op campaign made things much more pleasant because if one of you hosed up and died you got a respawn timer instead of having start a section over again, so it made everything much more lenient.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Morpheus posted:

This is how I take everything like hit points and stuff in RPGs too. Like, when watching Final Fantasy: Advent Children, you notice the characters dodging and blocking every single attack that comes their way. I just figure, when they don't manage to use their supernatural sword skills to block that one bullet to their chest, that's when their HP runs out or something.

This is why I thought the "HE'S SUCKING THE BLOOD BACK INTO HIS WOUNDS!" complaints people had about Healing Surges in DnD 4e were dumb as hell.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Perestroika posted:

In Dragon Age: Inquisition, at one point you fight a bunch of demons that are basically the manifestations of people's fears. Their physical appearance is just that of big spiders, but if you select them, their name reads things like "Blood", "Drowning", "Mages", that sort of thing. So I'm walking around in that area and see another one of those spiders, and when I select it to see what fear it represents its name just reads: "Ironically, Spiders" :v:

I heard one character say "they look like spiders to you?" but I didn't realize they went that far.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Accordion Man posted:

Mine Thrower sucks because you barely get any ammo for it if I remember right.

I think it's one of those things where the ammo only appears if you keep the weapon in your inventory, but then it vendors for so much you could sell what you do find to get those sweet, sweet exclusive upgrades.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 03:07 on Dec 18, 2014

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Arstan posted:

Playing Dragon Age: Inquisition, I've really been missing DD's pawns. Picking up crafting supplies around the world gets annoying way more quickly than it becomes unnecessary. I wish the 3 lazy jerks following me around would lend a hand gathering ore and herbs, once in a while.

No poo poo, right?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

William Bear posted:

Hawke seems to hate blood magic, too, despite the fact that he, his friends, his sister and his lover can all use it. I suspect things like this are why Bioware removed blood mage as a specialization in Inquisition and replaced it with the less morally questionable Necromancer.

I love how items and codex entries in Inquisition that are rendered unavailable (located in an area that you no longer have access to) get added to the stock of a shop in the city. It's nice to have that comfort as a completionist.

Hawke's sister can't use blood magic, but his Dad sure did. He blood magic'd a whole dungeon from top to bottom. I also find it funny as hell that Anders, who is actively possessed by a demon, keeps complaining about Merrill using blood magic to consort with demons, like she's the bigger idiot (they're both idiots).

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

SiKboy posted:

That would also explain it, because when I went back through it with a male boss I made all the opposite choices than from my first playthrough.

I do agree with you, with 3 caveats; 1) The fight club on the prison was a pain in the tonsils to get to, and there was no other reason to go back to the prison island in free roam 2) the rewards were really uneven. Some of them had great rewards, whereas others had "-5% notoriety with gang X", which isnt good even if you havent already wiped that gang off the map entirely, and 3) The main missions were locked behind "Respect" levels, and you leveled up respect by doing side content. I never had a problem with it because I loved the side content (and it the side missions were fairly generous about doling it out too) but a friend of mine just wanted to blast through the story as fast as possible and got frustrated with it, so thats not for everyone. Personally I barely noticed because I was spent so long messing about with activities that by the time I was halfway through the story I had enough respect to do the rest of the missions in a row if I wanted.

Edit: Honestly if the prison fight club was replaced with a fight club in the shopping mall it would relieve pretty much my only gripes with SR2, it would mean that you wouldnt have to go back out to the prison and find your way through the buildings, and it would flag the mall on your map as being something so you could find it on your firt playthrough easier/earlier.

Ha ha ha so that's where Bioware got the idea for Power in Inquisition.

Saints Row 2 is still my favorite Saints game over all because I really liked the side content and preferred the progression system they had over the straight level up mechanics of the Third, but I haven't finished IV or touched Gat out of Hell. IV is pretty funny up front, though.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Alhazred posted:

Another little thing from the Wolf Among Us, after having conversation with Gren when he has combined drugs and alcohol there's a little text saying "Gren won't remember this".

Wasn't there another moment in one of the Tell Tale games where the text said, "You should remember this."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

The thing I like about that is that they will lie/mislead you with them. Like they'll pop up in conversations with a person who will be dead by the end of the conversation.

Yeah, that's kind of funny.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Dewgy posted:

The Deagle is fantastic too: http://youtu.be/zy4eHMrGIc8

This is amazing. I suddenly really want to play a game where everyone is a jedi stage magician.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

My favorite thing in NV is to take the Big Boomer or another shotgun with a lot of pellets and combine it with the perk And Stay Back to rag-doll Deathclaws helplessly across the map like flopping hockey pucks.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Isn't Solas initially suspicious of your choice to go Necromancer until you explain that you took up the study more to learn about spirits than to control them?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

And the worst is it looks really good. At the very minimum it plays like more Dragma, but with friends.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

effervescible posted:

I like some character' headgear so much in Inquisition (Vivienne's especially) that I leave helmet display on and just take helmets off the characters I think they look stupid on. Fashion > gear stats

Yes. Even on the highest difficulty, crafting can make a suit of armor so good that your hat is, like, 10% of your effectiveness, which is easily sacrificed in the name of looking good.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I beat Witcher 1, but I honestly can't stand trying to play Witcher 2.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah, in previous games you could counter fine with Bruce, and there's an entire DLC challenge campaign for Origins of Bruce Wayne when he was a League of Shadows trainee just clowning the poo poo out of thugs and ninjas without the suit.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Now are you saying 'There was a DLC campaign in Arkham Orgins about Bruce Wayne as a trainee' or 'There's a DLC campaign about the Orgins of Bruce Wayne as a trainee' ?

The first one.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I didn't know about this, but apparently if you become a mass murderer in New Vegas, word gets around:

I mean, I've killed a lot of people (mostly fiends and legion) in previous playthroughs, but I guess I haven't killed enough civilians before to make the bad guys plead for their lives.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 04:23 on Jul 27, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Lady Naga posted:

All the relevant stuff from GZ is summarized in the first chapter.

Good because I didn't actually like Ground Zeroes enough to get into it, but V is sounding more intriguing.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Can you edit people's code names? Because I want to play as Cookie-Dough Blizzard.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Action Tortoise posted:

the only game more american than vanquish is metal wolf chaos.

the Japanese are truly the only people who understand us.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Speaking of the FO4 crafting system, augmenting legendary weapons adds a lot to it. Because legendaries all have abilities that don't appear on other items, you can arrange your mods to take best advantage of them, so it's much harder to have the one true gun for every type. I have a never-ending combat shotgun, and another one that sets people on fire, so the never ending gets the automatic receiver for just laying down a hail of death and the fire one gets the advanced high power. I'm still on the lookout for a neverending double barrel because the fire rate on one of those fully upgraded is nearly 200 (while a full auto combat shotgun is closer to 33).

Also holy poo poo my Explosive Submachine Gun is hilarious for hosing down crowds and ragdolling them around a room; it's doubly great for ghoul hordes.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah, I tested it by giving a dude a rifle and a single thing of ammo, pissing him off, and then letting him shoot me until I died.

Testing is still in progress for whether or not they also get unlimited ammo for fat- mans.

Finally, a use for all those guns I don't use anymore but am too attached to to simply scrap or sell.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

scarycave posted:

I just noticed that in Fallout 4, you can filter your save files between different characters.
Not sure if anyone is at a point yet where they would want to do a second play-through yet but I think its a nice touch.

This is a drat godsend for me because part of what I like to do is say "Okay, I want to make a character who does this, another who does this, and another who does this" and then get all the character creation out of the way at once until I have more ideas. So I have a male and female character at the vault elevator ready to head out into the world, and when I pick them I run them into the elevator, customize and rename them, then send them out. Another little thing that makes skipping the tutorial trivially more pleasant. Then when I finally decide "okay I'd like to play my bruiser" or "I'd like to play my sneak thief" I can find them in a heartbeat.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I'm glad they give you that choice. Bioware should do that too, because their character creators are always in some nebulous place outside the normal game world and when you take the character through the tutorial you may start to realize how absolutely horrifying your character really is (or for gameplay purposes how little you like a given class), but remaking him/her takes either replaying the tutorial or using some kind of DLC.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Deport The Irish posted:

Your quotes for initiatng conversations also change from "Hey [name]" or "hello" to "eyyyyyyy" and "[hic] sup?"

My favorite is the loud drunken "YOU!"

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

I've had some chatter like them warning the others that I'm probably using a stealth boy (I was), and their taunts seem based on how much damage they've done. After taking a few dozen rounds that I survived through copious use of drugs they just started screaming about what it would take to just kill me already.

"How are you not dead!?"

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

nael posted:

Going back through Wasteland 2, I noticed something I thought was pretty funny with Vulture's Cry.

When you break her out of prison at the beginning of the game and recruit her, she talks like a stereotypical Hollywood Native American. When you ask her what she's good at she talks about being in touch with the earth and communicating with animals. If you ask her about the kids who were harassing her while she was locked up, she slips and calls them a bunch of assholes, or something like that. If you call her out on it, she says something along the lines of "Ok, you got me, my job is to trade with outsiders and they eat up the whole "Wise Native sage" thing, I wasn't bullshitting you on the other stuff though, I am good with animals, and I do know how to survive in the desert." If you never have that optional dialogue, she acts like a walking stereotype for the rest of the game.

At least until Hollywood, I think. I'm pretty sure when I first played, she suddenly started talking like a normal person around the time she had some incidental dialogue in Angel Oracle.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Babe Magnet posted:

You can also just dress all your dudes up like ladies with the dresses the Black Cat sells (also works with mercedes' armor because it has ornamental boob-armor bits and I think Selene's dress if you've beat speedrun mode). I heard from a friend, but I didn't think to confirm it myself, that if you have visible facial hair like moustaches (why wouldn't you???) she sees through your disguise so be sure to visit the barber too!

I can assure you, in the console release at least, that bearded ladies are accepted by the bandits.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah, Jane is the only tutorial character that is guaranteed to survive not named Central, and will always be a Ranger. Her code name is not set in stone, though, because I got "Fury" and I know other people got other things.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah Power Armor training was only really a thing in 3 and NV, and NV probably had it because 3 had it and they just didn't bother taking it out. In F2, you can rush Advanced Power Armor at like level 2 if you know what you're doing.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

That fight can be really hard and that song being fantastic goes a long way to alleviate the frustration.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Oh, ganking is assuredly in the game, but it's largely gone the other way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFH4y1UNhIw

Though there are some mid to late game areas that have multiple covenants converging into all out brawling matches with blues (cops), reds (crims), purples (crazies), yellows (big brothers), blue-reds (zone guards) and hosts just going crazy. But twinking a character out with outrageously advanced gear to murder newbies just locks you into invading people like yourself.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 04:21 on Apr 18, 2016

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

What is the one bad Nintendo game?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

If I understand right Wolnir is deathly afraid of the Abyss despite appearances. His sword hints at this. By breaking his bracelets, you break the anchors that kept him from slipping wholly into oblivion. The abyss kills him, if anything does.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 13:54 on Apr 30, 2016

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

I've said this before but Fallout 2 was great for the time and is not a bad game but almost all of the humor is, like someone else mentioned, Family Guy level of referential humor.
New Vegas is King of Fallout even though I like FO4 more for basic mechanics.

I'd like Fallout 4 better if its perk system was better. I've played hundreds of hours across multiple characters, but the perk screen is awkward to navigate and generally clumsy and not a particularly fun system. I'd love for a mod that changes it up and improves it like SPERG did for Skyrim.

And while I know this is the wrong thread, since I'm on the subject, I just want to make a small gripe about how poorly developed the story is. I mean, you have Piper, who writes a paper about how "the institute is replacing people with synths!" and so you'd think she'd have more commentary on synth paranoia after she joins you. But take her to the Railroad and she is just blithely nice if she reacts at all. It'd be nice if there was some kind of interaction like "How can you help these things that have been replacing people!" and if they wanted her to like the Railroad she could have had a character growth moment. But there's just...nothing.

New Vegas would not let moments like that pass, man. Say what you will about how obnoxious it was to take Arcade to every god drat corner of the map or to get Raul to be present for some incidental conversations, at least they had moments sprinkled throughout the game that made the characters grow and change.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Metal Saga is what you're thinking of, and the narration dialogue gets very snippy about the adventure you chose to miss out on :allears:.

I do like how if you beat Lavos super early in Chrono Trigger (usually in NG+) before the plot actually starts, you get a room with the devs and some of them complain about all the hard work they put in that you skipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

I think it was Prototype that went one further and had an achievement which required you to kill the same as in L4D, plus another single zombie. :v:

Setting off some kind of genocide achievement reference war

http://deadisland.wikia.com/wiki/Zombie_Genociderer

Kill 53,597 Zombies! posted:

Originally this achievement started in Dead Rising Zombie Genocider Kill 53,594 zombies. (53,594 was the population of the fictional town)

One year later, Valve releases Left 4 Dead with achievement Zombie Genocidest Kill 53,595 Infected.
Dead Rising 2 responded with achievement Z-Genocider 2: Genocide Harder Kill 53,596 zombies. Two more games also has similar achievement Prototype Trail Of Corpses Kill 53,596 infected. and Rock Band 3 HOPO-cidal Maniac Kill 53,596 Hammer-ons and Pull-offs.
53,597 zombie kill achievement appears in 2 more games: Dead Nation Genocidiary Kill 53 597 Zombies and Dead Rising 3 Master of Massacre Kill 53,597 zombies.