Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Korok seeds are mostly just things you find. Turn over a rock that's out of place and you get a Korok seed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I really just want someone other than Rockstar to do an open world cowboy game. They've got their approach and I respect it, but there should be alternatives. GTA has Saints Row, someone do Saints Row But With Horses.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's a very visually busy game but they manage to signpost status effects nicely.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Palamutes (Monster Hunter is an action RPG)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah there is strategy to the Cyberdemon but it's mostly of the "do not get hit" variety (with a side of "You can cheese it by getting it hung up on some parts of the map and taking potshots but that takes way too long.")

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Gaius Marius posted:

Anytime a game references how Bad rear end you were in a previous entry is great

What's this from?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Manhunter has some jank- the auto-focus doesn’t work very well and that makes combat tricky- but it’s forgiving enough that it’s not a game breaker. It’s fun in short bursts and I’m glad that somebody’s doing a “cause problems on purpose” game nowadays.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

I think the combat in Horizon Zero Dawn is really good, one of the few experiences similar to ME2 where I've replayed it a bunch of times on the hardest difficulty and always find the gameplay to be enjoyable. I like how a little knowledge and strategy can turn what looks like a totally unwinnable fight against some imposing robot behemoth into something you can do in all blue gear, especially on Ultra-Hard where you really have to apply every trick in the book.

Yeah I've only played a bit but there have definitely been times where I've clearly hosed up and am about to die but somehow manage to pull it out. Any game that can create that feeling is doing something right IMO.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah in the short term it always seems to make more sense to just do damage because that ends the fight fastest, so it's another thing where games could stand to signpost that "this is actually quite useful if applied properly" followed by "this is probably an enemy this will be good against."

Of all things Pokemon is kinda good at this. It doesn't take long to work out that paralyzing a foe or confusing them is *really useful* and something worth trying for.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

John Murdoch posted:

MP3 is what convinced me that yeah, FPSes on the Wii was totally going to be the way to go. And then IIRC every other FPS controlled noticeably worse or otherwise sucked poo poo. Oops.

Re: Motion controls I can't help but suspect there was a cycle of dummies going "these motion controls never work, it's just dumb waggle" and then they'd blow off the tutorials and just waggle and oh weird the motion controls don't work and suck. Not to say there wasn't plenty of bottom shelf garbage where the controls were legitimately broken, but most high profile stuff actually did work fine IME.

Edit: That said, I did not appreciate the strain on my wrist swinging the sword in Twilight Princess caused. The manta ray racing in Mario Galaxy was also total rear end.

In general I feel like third party developers struggled the most with understanding what the Wiimote + nunchuk could do reliably. Like a lot of games would rely a lot on the nunchuk's internal movement sensor which was way weaker than the Wiimote, or you'd have something like Sonic and the Secret Rings which relies a lot on tilting the Wiimote in ways that are both awkward to do and rely on shaky inputs. I feel like maybe Nintendo had some problems with dev documentation, or perhaps it was just a fact of it being new tech, they knew what it could do but a lot of devs making shovelware didn't (and hence relied on waggle as you say.)

I'm generally more positive on motion controls than most (though I realize that requiring them is not great for accessibility reasons) and I kinda wish they'd been handled/understood better.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
FF14's mahjong is good but I think Mahjong Soul has the best online client (weird gacha dating sim element aside and you can pretty much ignore that entirely)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
One thing that helps is that the penalty for wiping in FFXIV is pretty low- there's like a very small hit to durability, there's a shortcut back to either the boss or the area before it (which you probably cleared on the way so it's easy to run back), really the big hassle is just doing the fight again which, yeah.

Like I will say there are quite a few bosses that do have weird things that aren't signposted the best so you do kinda have to either know from walkthroughs or just work it out after a few tries, plus the general chaos of visual effects can make things tricky, but the penalty for failure being so slight I think makes people more patient.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah if you want to incentivize stealth you want to give rewards for it, not say "you get the bad ending if you don't use it often enough."

"Bad" endings in games in general I'm not very fond of, at least when they're very clearly meant to signal "you played wrong".

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

moosecow333 posted:

Bayonetta and their ilk have a nice counter to that in combo ranking. For example, I found a really powerful combo that would kill even bigger enemies super quick in Bayonetta, but it gave me no combo points so my fight rank was still pretty mediocre.

It was only once I slowed down and engaged with the other mechanics and weapons more that my ranks started to improve.

Of course this requires you to care about the ranking in the first place, but if you only play those games to get from point A to B as fast as possible I can’t help you.

Bayo- and most of Platinum's games- are sort of built on the assumption that you'll blunder your way through at first, get low scores/trophies for everything, but hey, you still beat the game, and then on subsequent playthroughs try to improve.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Kiryu Kazama Has Never Killed A Man

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The best part of Fallen Order is there's a dedicated button to talk to your droid. "Just making sure you're okay."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Every Yakuza game could legit be packaged with one of those old school “50 games in one!” blurbs. It’s not just that they have these mini games but that they’re all pretty well fleshed out.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm surprised another Hulk-specific game hasn't come out recently since Spider-Man did so well. That Avengers game has him, but it doesn't feel nearly the same as giving you a whole open world setup specifically designed around him.

Could be that Disney/Marvel's brand management don't want a game where you knock around innocent bystanders and destroy property. They've got an image to maintain.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Shiroc posted:

I'm playing the Switch rerelease of Hyrule Warriors after having enjoyed the original version of WiiU. Linkle owns.

Linkle needs her own game.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Metroid Dread has a bunch of nice little animations. If you shoot through a vent that's about at chest level, Samus will put her hand up and lean on the wall a bit while she's shooting.

Also the sequence leading up to the varia suit is very well done, just "ohfuckohfuckohfuck."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Both the Souls games and LM have shared influences in earlier Japanese video gaming, like early exploratory platformers, CRPGs (both imported and domestic stuff on MSX), and Tower of Druaga, an arcade maze-type game where players would actually write down hints for others in a notepad next to the machine because there were so many weird secrets.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Best is in Heavensward. All the brooms in Matoya's house talk in Mr. Sparkle quotes.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Agents are GO! posted:

WTF are you responding to?

I guess this is just the thread where we post pictures of the sea now.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
There's also the issue where the fanbase is split between people who think SR3 and 4 went way too far with the wacky crazy stuff and want it to "go back to its roots", and people who think it got better the further it went from GTA. And unfortunately I think there are some of the former camp who, despite this being more street level, aren't going to be interested because the culture is different, it's not so much gangstas as young twentysomethings being gay and doing crimes (and yes apparently there is a difference.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Crowetron posted:

It is weird that in a world where fuckin' Kingdoms of Amalur got a remaster Deep Silver hasn't tried to make some quick money from rereleasing SR2. I wonder if its a mess under the hood or if there's something with the music rights that would make it too expensive to bother with.

Or maybe I'm just overestimating how much of cult hit Saints Row 2 is/was.

I think the major problem is that SR2's code is made of toothpicks and string, it's why the PC port was so bad for so long. It basically took a mod to fix it. They pretty much HAD to rebuild everything from scratch for SR3.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Control

Control Game

Control Remedy Game

Control Remedy Game Controls OK FINE I'LL JUST LOOK AT THE INGAME MENU

This is me whenever I do my recurring "I wonder if anyone's made The Movies available again" Google search.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Breetai posted:

Playing through Battletech again, and I really like the voice acting in it. There's not much by way of storyline development of your mech pilots in the game but you do get the sense of them each having their own little personalities that come through via their radio chatter.

Notable is Glitch, who approaches her job of mech pilot with borderline psychotic childlike glee. The voice actress really turns it up to 11, whether it's just her stock combat chatter like "When I shoot you, you take it and like it"... or "you get a headshot! And you get a headshot!" Or when you start up a mission in a polar biome and she excitedly blurts out "Do you think we'll see bears?!?" :buddy:

She's just fuckin' stoked to be stomping around in a big ol' battlemech and it's delightful.

Not to mention whenever you have her do a jump: "I leap, I soar!"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

forest spirit posted:

That actually just sounds fun. It feels like the Resident Evil team really know their lane - that horror doesn't have to be 10000% serial and actually can be a lot of fun

Re8’s plot is basically a Universal monster mash.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

credburn posted:

Battletoads is not that hard.

I mean, it is, but it's not nearly the game everyone makes it out to be. The first level is easy. The second level is tricky. The third level is the first "race" level and it does kind of punish you for not memorizing a few spots, but it's easily doable.

The levels that are loving impossible are the flying lava fire one (skippable via warp) and the one where you have to outrun a big swirl. Actually, I don't know why I never could beat the big swirl. It's as far as I ever got.

Like, every Mega Man but Mega Man 2 is harder than Battletoads.

Every Mega Man but the first has a password save though, and not many require the kind of precision BT does.

Like there are many many points in BT where not doing the one correct input leads to death.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

I got Kirby and the Forgotten Lands for my birthday and it's really fun and cute so far. I like how far it takes the ruined civilisation aesthetic and how tricky some of the secrets can get. I'm just at the boss of the 4th world.

Yeah it's a really great game, the difficulty curve is well designed so that the main quest is satisfying but if you want to save all the Waddle-Dees (and why wouldn't you) it gets more complicated

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The Skyrim Horse of the Future!

I was thinking the Mako was back

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
This is the same company that skipped "Windows 9" because it would screw with old code that referred to Windows 95 and Windows 98.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I've been playing the new Saints Row and it's honestly kinda winning me over despite some obvious problems (it's glitchy, the city's more spread out with less to do, etc.)

But in particular there's one bit early in the story that brings back the old magic.

Your character gets fired from their job at a big security firm after a massive robbery. This queues up the Mission End screen with "Unlocked: Personal and Professional Failure" and the subtitle "Bonus: Lots more free time."

The next mission, "Be Your Own Boss" starts right away, and the first objective is "Wallow in your own failure." You slowly get out of bed, stumble to the kitchen, and unsuccessfully attempt to toast a waffle before slumping down on the couch.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The thing about arachnophobia options is it’s one of the easier things to put in coding wise. Just have a global variable, if it’s set to “on” then whenever a certain enemy would spawn you use an alternate model. The most work is just in having the other model ready to go and if you’re making a big game you’re probably modeling a bunch of different enemies anyway.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

credburn posted:

Ah, yeah, you're right, I was being hyperbolic. Not all of it is. But much of it is. It was the first time I'd understood this idea, at least in concept, though I didn't have the words for it. But like, hearing the opening theme, and then like the cave theme, and the overworld theme, and realizing it all has these same elements, it blew my little goddamn mind.

The 16-bit FFs are where Oematsu really cut loose. Like the first three FF games have really solid and good music for their time, but you can tell he was loving all the new options he had.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The character designs in Street Fighter 6's World Tour mode are really fun. I don't mean the main characters though they're good, I mean all the people you can run into (and fight) wandering around the worlds. They clearly had a lot of fun with the avatar creation tools and I love that you can run into someone and say "Hey, I like your style, let's punch each other."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Rockman Reserve posted:

World Tour mode in SF6 is stupidly fun and beautifully, almost panderingly queer.

I love the part where both a man and a woman are courting Marisa and she says “Hell, I’ll take them both! You too if you’re interested!”

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Discovered this video on YT though I haven't played the game.

In Tales of Arise, if you get a character's casting time short enough, her voice line for casting becomes "Bla bla bla MAGIC!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uET9ANIsaYg

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

darkwasthenight posted:

The starting 45 Shepherd pistol in Saints Row III is my favourite. Starts off average, ends up air juggling enemies with dual-wielding explosive infinite ammo. The other pistol upgrades are fine but none are nearly as fun.

Yeah for some reason Saints Row the Third is one of the rare games where the pistol can be REALLY strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
As John Yahtzee Croshaw once said, it's never too late to talk to your developers about Indigo loving Prophecy Syndrome

(Indigo Prophecy being what Fahrenheit was called in NA)