Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

My Lovely Horse posted:

XXVII is really drat optimistic. They'd have to make one a year. Should have been... well pretty much any Ubisoft game.
They've been doing one every two years so far though?

Edit - Not counting spinoffs etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I wanted to trade for it (unavailable in my region), but a kind poster mentioned that it's still tied with GFWL and may become impossible to play soon.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

rear end Creed: Black Flag

I'm not entirely sold on the combat system, but getting the mighty boot as a part of your combo is pretty neat. I'd rather have had a dedicated button, but having Edward kick people off of wherever is a lot of fun.

The new parkour system is a bit overtly smooth, but it's nice that Edward start with all the standard tricks and you can climb hella high fairly easily.

People no longer automatically die when they hit the water, so you don't fear losing your allies whenever you're near a puddle.

Since you can no longer just casually kill civilians with a swordswipe, you have to come up with some interesting tricks. In related news - people can climb up on piers and suchlike when tossed into water, but they haven't figured out how to wade onto beaches. Push a fisherman into the water several times, and he'll swim till he drowns.

I can finally grab rifles dropped by guard and snipe people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQGkD-7zyxY

Taeke posted:

I wouldn't say that's the limit of the connection. Both are punk in that they 'punk' society, or are supposed to, and use fantastical extrapolations of a certain type of technology to explore the effects it would have on civilization and people and stuff. At least, that's what cyberpunk does. I can't think of any steampunk I've read, hell, I don't know if there's anything actually good out there, and I can't think of any way it could tackle the 'hard' questions that cyberpunk does such as the nature of humanity, consciousness, etc, but I suppose it's possible.

e:

I just googled and I have read some of the classics like Wells and Shelley, but I never really considered those steampunk in its contemporary form. I should give Gibson and Stephenson's steampunk novels a try out of curiosity because I did like their cyberpunk work.
To bring this back on topic, Thief and Arcanum do riffs on class, technology and the effects of the industrial revolution.

Xander77 has a new favorite as of 21:43 on Dec 2, 2014

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Ignimbrite posted:

Also asides from the fact that the world Dishonoured is set on is circling a black hole, which was in one of the earlyish books you could read.
People have very different interpretations of that one book.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

rear end Creed: Black Flag.

You can climb windmills. In general, though I hate the trees, the idea of having something to climb that isn't a large square building is fun.

You can do sick headshots with your muskets and pistoles.

Being able to parkour through crowds without stumbling is rather nice.

I kinda like playing dressup with my characters, and the game achieves a good balance - its not just differently colored robes as in the previous rear end Creed's, but you don't get overwhelmed by a gazillion options a-la every other sandbox game.

I'm not fond of random item collections in Ubisoft games, but the animus fragments are actually kinda fun. Getting to each is generally just a bit challenging - enough so that it's not just a chore (unless they're on an island, of course).
Took time out of a chase scene to pet a puppy (Important amendum – you can also pet kitties)

The storms in this game look and feel really nice. At one point I was cresting a killer wave with a bunch of enemy ships getting crashed all around me, and could swear a kraken/Cthulhu was about to raise from the deeps any devour everyone involved (that would have been the best easter egg ever)

On that note – tried taking on a fort in the middle of a storm, with a bunch of pirate hunters barging into the fight every few minutes (which was good, because I couldn't seem to knock out the fort's final tower, and really needed the constant repairs boarding gave me). Felt kinda like Corwin towards the end there.

Black panther attack takes out the enemy in the middle of an assassination mission. Totally Far Cry.

Fought some enemy soldiers on a pirate island. Got chased back to my ship at the dock. My crew drew pistols and gunned them all down. (Still would have preferred it if I could use my canons to blow them all away)
The world is massive (compared to previous rear end Creed games) and there's a decent reason to explore most of it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Nohman posted:

Don't do this your first time. The game doesn't subtitle any of the incidental dialog, which is like 90% of the world building.
Learn to speak Albanian Russian? The odd thing is that the Russian dialog is actually not nearly as well acted as the English dialog. I played through the game in English, only to cringe occasionally at the pronunciations (some of the incidental dialog is voiced by Russian speakers, while some isn't, and I have absolutely no idea why you'd have a non native speaker do a song in Russian, particularly since it comes from a one-off character)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

grittyreboot posted:

I've been replaying Mass Effect 2 and I love all the little blurbs for the planets. One of them talks about the legend of an ancient pirate that hid massive amounts of element zero. It says no one had ever actually found any element zero on the planet, and when you scan it there isn't any. But the next planet over is loaded with the stuff.
Yeah, but by the time you get there you probably won't remember this.

Watchmen: The End is Night is a terrible game in general, but it does handle the co-op component in a distinctly non-terrible way.

You can only co-op locally (which is terrible), but since you're very likely to run the game solo, your partner is controlled by the AI. Here are the nice things which I don't recall from other co-op AI's:

The gameplay is fairly basic, so your AI partner is surprisingly competent. They're capable of dispatching all the enemies in a manner that is efficient, if not spectacular. For instance, they prioritize kicking downed enemies to death.

Though they give the generic "I'm in trouble over here" barks, they can't actually die. Which is fantastic in general, and particularly fantastic here - because trying to babysit the AI in this combat system would have turned the game from "fairly terrible" into "sheer loving torture".

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

scamtank posted:

Against all logic, that game is the closest thing to Planescape: Torment there is.
That's new to me. Explain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Stalker: Call of Pripyat.

Random faction having running battles across the map is a long-standing feature of the series (and not quite as new and original nowadays). But since the maps are particularly large, and the NPCs can now loot corpses, you'll often have a gun running around like an entire squad by himself - firing off two different assault rifles, taking a sniper shot and bringing on some shotgun pain before tossing a grenade. By the time you've tooled around one a certain map for a while, it's full of corpses and guys overloaded with guns.

Anomaly fields aren't just a bunch of sparklies on a random lot now - they're proper geographical landmarks (full of random sparklies and death). Huge sprawling tree nightmares, tears in the earth, fiery circles - this is what anomalies were meant to be.

There are a few nice setpieces scattered throughout, with the bit where you assemble a team of handpicked men who owe you their lives to storm through an underground maze filled with zombies, mutants and Monolith snipers being a highlight.

There are ending sliders for all the characters. Granted, I didn't get to seem them because the game glitched out, but that's still nice.