Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

2house2fly posted:

I haven't finished the game yet but I kind of hope that's the case; there's enough hints at it that a big reveal would feel kind of lame.

Yeah, it gets elaborated on in a (fairly involved) side quest but it's never treated as some sort of shocking revelation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Alright, so Splinter Cell: Blacklist really dropped the ball on Sam Fisher's new voice actor but I'm having a blast with it. One thing I've only just twigged onto though is the dynamic music score - depending on the enemy's status, movement patterns and so on (there seems to be quite a bit of variation rather than just FULL ALERT MAXIMUM and completely dead to the world), extra little wub wubs, violin strings or whatever are added to the background. It's a really neat feature as it subtly catches my attention while feeding me information without simply vomiting text all over the screen.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Let your country control your soul

Let your country control your soul

LET YOUR COUNTRY

CONTROL

YOUR

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUL

:black101:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

OneDeadman posted:

But on topic, in Splinter Cell Blacklist, I really like how the stealth AI will notice if say you leave a door open or sometimes if you take out a guy's buddy they'll realize they're gone and start searching around.

If enough go missing the last guys will panic and back off into a group, camping a doorway, or group together and refuse to separate. They'll also do something similar if you're murdering them in a straight out gunfight - freak out and refuse to advance on you because you've just killed a hundred of their guys holy poo poo. It's surprisingly reactive AI.

There's also 'heavy' guys who are in bulky armour and helmets, but you can shoot the latter off. If you do that then occasionally they'll stop and a double take at the fact their head is now vulnerable. It's so stupid. :3:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Starhawk64 posted:

The enemies in FEAR also swear. You have bullet time powers. It's hilarious chucking a grenade, activating the bullet time, and hearing someone go "HOLY gently caress!" in slow motion.

Blacklist has the single greatest line if you keep slipping into air vents during a fight:

"He's in the loving VENTS. AGAIN. :byodood:"

The guy just sounds so exasperated and whiny.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

theshim posted:

The substantial pauses in the conversation when you ask him about himself are fantastic, especially since as a synthetic he processes stuff way faster than humans and you can tell it's a more personal point. Like when you ask him about the fact that he has your old N7 armor patched into him and he just says "...there was a hole." And if you press him about it and say "okay, but you could have patched it up with anything, why do you have my armor there", there's a pause of several seconds before he finally replies "...no data available." He's practically mumbling at that point, it's great. :3:

If I'm not mistaken that line was inserted by a disgruntled writer who kept being told to make Legion have some sort of celebrity worship thing going on with Shepard. That's the most effort put into it. :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Divinity 2: Ego Draconis has a very...European sense of humour. It's almost Python-esque.

"What in the blazes did you do with the pigs?!"
"They've moved on. Sometimes you have to let go of the things you love."

:allears:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

donkey salami posted:

Just finished Arkham City on normal and was letting credits roll. Joker had been leaving voicemail messages to batman all game. During credits joker has voicemail to batman signing "only you"

Made me laugh

There's a small easter egg with the credits. Earlier in the game if you focus on Harley's pregnancy test kit in the Joker's 'office', she'll be quietly singing a song on the verge of tears.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
OK, in Watch Dogs NPCs will react depending on your 'reputation' (good/bad guy), which isn't really that huge in and out of itself. People will take pictures of weird stuff you do, try to get your attention if you're a good guy, take mobile phone footage if you're just casually walking down the street and so on. Naturally this can also be a hindrance if the police are called when you've been a bad boy and you're just trying to get stuff done.

However, the police aren't there just for you: enemy stronghold? No problem. Open fire into a packed street, or just into the air, and freak out civvies so they'll call the police in response. Find a good hiding spot and watch as the police roll up and get into a fight with the now very twitchy gang stronghold. :haw:

Oh, and the motherfucking spider tank minigame, which is basically Ghost In The Shell: Giant gently caress Off Murder Machine Edition.

poptart_fairy has a new favorite as of 08:57 on Jul 18, 2014

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

theshim posted:

The whole Oblivion Dark Brotherhood questline is one of my favorite little things. Lucien Lachance is kickass and the early quests involve a murder mystery mansion (with a ton of different ways of splitting everyone up and killing them) and killing a guy by dropping a stuffed moose head on him (or something very similar). It's great.

During the murder mansion straight out telling one of the victims you're there as an assassin to kill them makes her giggle, maxing out her approval rating, because she's so happy there's someone there not being all serious and mysterious. :3:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The in-game browser even prioritizes stuff the developers created, I think. Was reading the first town's 'tourist guide' for way too long before it twigged that this wasn't a real place...

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
In Dark Souls 2's new DLC, there's been a bunch of upgrades to your allies' AI. They use items, taunt, and will even bow when killing a boss. :3:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Tracula posted:

One of the red phantoms even does a taunt if he kills you, it's fantastic.

He uses the 'it's me' thumb point emote when he first spawns as well. It's ridiculous - players are now completely irrelevant.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
They haven't, no, but the allies got a huge HP boost. Lucatiel can basically face tank the Sinner and Smelter Demon.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I was always looking forward to 4 but holy gently caress I got blown away by the actual product. The ending - particularly with the Christmas DLC - made me kinda sad, it was like saying goodbye to all these characters. :smith:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Press X to use Hidden Gun.

:unsmith:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Forgive the watermark, it's the only image i could find that illustrated this guy's hat. :v:

This is Fergus Reid, from Wolfenstein: The New Order. He has a ton of fantastic one-liners, is quite involved in the plot and develops himself fantastically over the course of the storyline. However, what impresses me most is that loving hat.

At the start of the game you're both on a plane together and he's wearing that hat along with a radio mouth piece, which (naturally) distorts his voice. However, what really impresses me is as he moves around and talks to himself and his allies, not only do the sides of his helmet wiggle and wave around independently but the voice distortion is completely consistent. He'll occasionally move the mouth piece away so he can talk on the phone, or whatever, and the distortion will stop; there's even a moment where he lifts the side of his hat which takes the radio away, and for literally half a second his voice comes through completely normal without any radio effect added to it.

I don't know why this little bit amazes me so much. It's like someone sat down and said to themselves they're going to make the most realistic goddamn radio hat the world ever did see, even though it's only there for about five minutes of the entire game.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Adam will also call Pritchard by his first name constantly, just to piss the guy off. Every time Adam says 'Francis' you can hear every little drop of bile from the voice actor's delivery, and practically feel Pritchard's teeth grinding together when he responds.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
His username is Frenetic_Pony as well. :downs:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Because he smashed it with a reflexive punch after seeing himself post-augmentation for the first time. Dude's still gotta shave and trim himself, c'mon now.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So I'm playing a lot of Path of Exile lately, and your character skills are determined by gems you can slot into your equipment. While this is weaved into the narrative (people actually are putting gems into their equipment for better strength, etc, rather than it just being a game mechanic) it didn't seem particularly neat until I came across archive books later in the story which go into detail about how nobles have caught onto the idea of using these gems to improve their singing ability, linguistics, etc.

It was such a mundane use for the things I had to laugh at that. This is exactly how I'd use them myself.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

muscles like this? posted:

There's also a mission where you're blowing something up and the optional objective is to not look at the explosion.

Which completely freaks out the bandit whose poo poo you're blowing up.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
FROM does it again with Dark Souls 2 Iron Crown DLC. Summoned phantoms will occasionally drop items that release small phrases such as 'hello!', and a specific one will even walk up to a boss and use a smug 'it's me' emote (basically pointing at themselves with both thumbs) right in their face. :haw:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Popular Human posted:

I was playing Tomb Raider for the 360 last night, and as I climbed up a ridge I found three guys standing there facing away from me. I pulled out the pistol and shot one in the head, then turned and hit the second guy with another headshot. The third guy reacted by bolting straight for cover and as he hid behind it I heard him yell "holy poo poo she's a good shot!" I love it when enemies have little behavior quirks based on what the player's doing, and Tomb Raider pays off in spades.

There are going to be a couple of sequences later you will goddamn cream yourself over.

Nobody spoil him.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Canemacar posted:

One last thing. After the game, in free roam, you'll get a case about a shooting in the same alley his parents died in years ago. As part of the game, you'll set up crime scenes at various points and begin CSI-ing them to find out what happened and track down the perp. But, in this scene as you reconstruct the events, you'll see a flash of two corpses lying off to the side, right where his parents where shot. Theres nothing drawing attention to it, and it's a "blink and you'll miss it" moment, but it was a cool way to show how their deaths still haunt him.

This is also one of the very interrogations in the game where Batman absolutely loses his poo poo, to the point where Alfred panics and asks why his vital signs have suddenly spiked.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Smelly posted:

Dying to a grunt has consequences as well, they'll move up the chain of command. They can also taunt you and walk away instead of dealing a killing blow.

I posted these in the main Mordor thread, but...

The Nemesis system is fantastic. Originally I thought it'd just be a gimmick, but the dialogue and changes to an orc's armour/appearance (scars, better equipment, weapons stuck in their back depending on how you 'killed' them, etc etc) adds a ton of anecdotal potential to the game. The main thread's already filled with people bitching about their personal enemy hounding them throughout the game. :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Playing a bit of Prototype 2 on the side and I'd forgotten how hilariously cartoonish the antagonist group became.

Prototype 1: Blackwatch are elite biohazard teams with intelligent, calculated scientists methodically experimenting and dissecting everything.

Prototype 2: Blackwatch are idiotic chucklefucks that talk about sleeping with infected zombies, and have scientists that demand "don't bring back any more fatties, they won't fit in the containment tubes".

The franchise realized it shouldn't take itself so seriously and the end result is wonderful. :allears:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

CJacobs posted:

Please play Prototype 2.

Heller: I'm at the computer, what do I press?

NPC: First you need to —

Heller: I'm pressing the red button. poo poo. Now the screen's all hosed up.

NPC: Okay, press the alternate key. "A.L.T." Alternate —

Heller: Alt? There's no loving alt. I got a loving squiggly line key, I got a loving key with a triangle on it — what the gently caress kind of keyboard is this anyway?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There's an achievement for dying an orc, grooming him to become Warchief and then murdering him on the spot. Revenge is cold. :black101:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I stand by my opinion that the most impressive part about Batman in Origins is his cod piece. Someone, somewhere, decided that paying an employee to model and texture the man's crotch in full 3D high definition was a worthy use of money. They were right. :colbert:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It doesn't crash for me. :colbert: It can't run with an FPS cap of more than 32 or it threatens to melt my computer, admittedly

Seconding the animation work though. When you're in heavy armour you actually feel like a big, heavy bastard akin to some sort of space marine. When you run your character just sort of hunches forward and can only lean forward slightly to make himself quicker, and if you're walking then he has this half-intimidating-half-adorable waddle going on as his armour shakes him side to side. Equally, if you're carrying a heavy weapon in one hand he'll be noticeably weighed down on that side and brace himself accordingly.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Dead Space 3 had kinda crappy writing true, but there was one blend of QTE and writing I really liked - hammering the 'use' key to close a door before acidic gas kills you and your girlfriend; a girlfriend who, unfortunately, is on the other side of the room and won't be able to get to you. The way Ellie screams at you to save yourself and seal her in was pretty heartwrenching combined with the fact you had to force Isaac to do it. :smith:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

nael posted:

I won't be able to play Far Cry 4 until I get my next paycheck, so I've been replaying 3. I noticed that when the molotov throwing guys are walking around outside of combat, they take drinks from their molotovs. That can't be healthy.

Well, they ARE completely poo poo faced and stumbling everywhere. :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man, the sound direction in Alien: Isolation is incredible all around, but the Alien's foot steps really stand out. They have a fantastic sense of weight - just a foreboding thud thud thud thud thud that instantly reminds you that thing is loving huge and more than capable of ripping you to pieces in seconds. It's not just simple atmosphere either as depending on its pace you can tell how alert it is, where it's headed, whether or not you're about to get a tail blade up your arse, etc etc.

I'm fairly sure a flat polygon would be just as horrifying under those circumstances. :haw:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The best thing about Electrocutioner is how the previous two games trained you to avoid straight out fist fights with guys using electric weapons, and then this guy stomps in with tazer gloves and armour...

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

MisterBibs posted:

I love that passive aggressiveness, but not the way you took it: Shep personally commits 4(ish) major races and multiple lesser ones to extinction because of his cowardly refusal. The folks of the Next Cycle evolve gonads* and pick one of the options to actually defeat the Reapers.

* My phone wanted to autocorrect this word to "gonadotropin". :wtc:

The funniest thing about that is that Liara's message outright said the Crucible doesn't work, so the next generation build it anyway.

ME3 had such lovely writing.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Mierenneuker posted:

There's also Ben King in which case it looks like it is going to lead to sex, but then turns out to be The Boss being nervous about asking him to sign a copy of his book. The disappointed look on King's face tells him he was totally ready for sex.

Pierce's romance is the best because regardless of the Boss' gender, he always responds with "I don't usually swing that way, but...".

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Femshep comes across creepy as gently caress towards Jacob.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of FFXIV, when you go to sleep in order to log off, a really calm sleepy version of the victory theme plays. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

EmmyOk posted:

My only problem with the merchant was the castle level. I spotted him a huge distance away and his coat made him look like a cultist, so I sniped him in the head. Had to go through the whole Castle without a merchant, it was tough.

If you kill him on Professional he's dead for the entire game. :haw: