Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

swamp waste posted:

There's a conspicuous lack of mountains in the distance when you're on the rooftops but otherwise, well done

That John Denver's full of poo poo, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Byzantine posted:

I only rented Deus Ex: Human Revolution, so I didn't get very far in the story. But even in that short time, I found something to love: it lets you suckerpunch people, and not only that, to suckerpunch people as a valid resolution to quests.

I got it on sale recently and the only thing I really remember about the game is you're a robot man who punches people and reads their emails. It was a great game.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

liquidypoo posted:

Harmless glitches that don't get patched out. It seems like a lot of companies have forgotten what fun is. Take Rockstar for example: in Red Dead Redemption, we had that one stack of logs on the Macfarlane (?) ranch that would rocket you into the stratosphere if you took cover in just the right way. That was taken out. GTA5 used to have a silly glitch that let you walk in the air. I learned about it earlier tonight, only to find I wasn't able to pull it off. The load times made testing that even worse when I eventually saw there was no payoff.

On the other hand, there's Media Molecule. I seem to recall something during LBP2's development where they were talking about the bugs people had discovered in LBP1, and the steps they were taking to ensure those bugs would continue to function in the sequel so that people's creations didn't get screwed up. That's awesome.

I remember a physics glitch in the early days of Halo 3 would let you punch people across the goddamn map. Best exemplified here. So of course it got patched out.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

Same thing with ship battles/boarding. You can swing across on a rope like in a traditional boarding action, or you can have your ship ram it head-on and then leap off your ship's bowsprit (I had to look that up) and do an air assassination on a guy.

The best part of swinging across is you can totally whiff it and completely miss the ship.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
Playing Assassin's Creed Rogue. Of my favorite things so far is this section of the River Valley region called the Old Growth forest. It's MASSIVE. It's gorgeous and well designed and so fun to explore looking for all the collectables. There's an old grown over native village, a dead guy pinned under a fallen tree, random french patrols and supply camps scattered around, little signs of civilization here and there. Most of the other areas in the game a little villages or caves you can clean up quick and hop back on your ship so this place kinda took me by surprise.

Other things I love:
- Shay has all kinds of contextual kill animations. If you counter someone with your back to a ledge he'll flip them over his shoulder and off the cliff, for example. You can also do takedowns while sprinting, but if you're unarmed he just does a clothesline. Whenever I board ships I just sprint up and down the deck knocking people down like I'm in a royal rumble.

- All the outfits you can buy and unlock are sweet as hell. They actually look different and fit the different environments better instead of just being recolors of the same couple of hooded outfits. The Whaling outfit and Artic explorer outfits especially. I'm holding off on the story missions until I can unlock the loving Viking armor.

- All the menu sound beeps and boops are the same as Black Flag (I think they were in Splinter Cell Conviction too?) They're so peaceful.

- You get a grenade launcher. You can shoot berzerk gas grenades at groups of soldiers and watch them go apeshit.

- Since Shay isn't an assassin, you can kill civilians without desynchonizing. But you get bounty hunters after you if you keep it up, but it's way better than "This guy didn't kill THOSE people! Quitting the game now!"

- Enemy assassins ambush you from rooftops and haystacks and closets like a player would, and you can counter-kill them. Or hunt them down and kill them while they're still in hiding. Makes me feel like Batman.

- There's an Abstergo challenge for petting 5 dogs. I did not stop at 5.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The best part is that the backseat player (whoever starts the Activity gets to drive) runs a minigame using the thumbsticks to "pleasure" the clients :wiggle:.

You can also do this by yourself as a Diversion in random gas station bathrooms.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
Watching a play through of Resident Evil 3 because of the remake announce. Just realized the entire opening segment takes place during the day time. It doesn't turn night until after you leave the police station. The stark contrast of how the street looks heading towards the police station vs heading away from it later was spooky.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
After a few hundred hours in Red Dead Online, I decided to finally see what GTA Online is like. Turns out they have a cross promotional thing where you can go on a treasure hunt to find a gold plated double action revolver from RDR! I double-tapped the holster button out of pure instinct and my GTA character did the revolver spin trick just like in Red Dead. :clint:

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
Speaking of Red Dead 2 and immersive realism, a little thing I love in Online is that you can pull up an online catalogue anywhere in the world and direct order an Amazon Prime drone delivery of 999 bullets right to your camp storage locker or any train station in the world. It makes a huge difference not having to trek out to the gun store every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

So far the story missions in Saints Row ps5 are still pretty fun and the writing feels like it's hitting it's stride. In the second mission it's a pretty wild time involving a convoy that completely goes haywire and a monster truck gets involved that you gradually strip the armour of away to nothing by firing at it which is a fun visual gag, and it has some amusing dialog, like this one guy who introduces himself as a Maverick, and then by the end of the mission is like "I don't want to be a maverick anymore ;_;" because of how insane things got.

The main character in that game was great. Almost Homer Simpson-esque in their stupidity. I loved the whole gag with the motivational tape saying "be your own Boss," inspiring them to start the gang. "It's just like the car said!"

And then they put the motivational tape on in the car as hype music on the way to the the last mission.

SR wasn't a great game but it was a good comedy.