Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
All the XCOM chat made me boot it up again. I'll say it again, XCOM 2 being so mod friendly is my favourite thing about it.

Without that, this wouldn't be possible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG4u-sB8CNU

It's a Tommy Wiseau voice pack and it's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Not a liitle thing in a game, really, but the Overwatch advertising/short trailers are loving amazing and I'd gladly watch an Overwatch movie.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

people still go full MisterBibs

One of my favourite things about the new Doom is that because of that game I sent to the SA Doom thread in games and got to see this in action and it's painful to watch in a funny kind of way

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
but I really did like New Vegas.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Except that Doom does a very good job of directing the player's gaze to ledges you should be jumping at by sticking green lights on them.

lol yeah you can't get lost if you stick to a linear path because you literally just follow the green lights. if you stray from that and explore (and you should! there are secrets and poo poo, its great) it is possible i guess to forget how to get back to where you were on some of the bigger more open levels

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
True.

I am waiting for MrBibs to come back and say something critical about Dooms liniarity, it should be moreso so i don't get lost and also the secrets are hard to find unless you have a guide because they are a terrible design decision and secretly i'm a CUTTLEFISH

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Doom is a linear shooter (with deviations for secrets) in between arenas. The best levels are ones that play more like the original Doom's maps (the Foundry comes to mind), which were puzzles in their own right.

Wait, poo poo. Agreed.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Kinda reminds me of Hell March

Also here's a favorite little thing in games: Hell March fuckin rules

https://youtu.be/-b5X69vREAg

loving 20 years later I still hum or doot that riff to myself absent mindedly.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
In my experience a stack of Soldier 76s' is hella fun to play. Never gone up against one, but been in a few. "We're all soldiers now" indeed.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

So hey, if you kill people with fire in Bloodborne they'll scream in agony and thrash around until they die, rather than simply going "ugh" and falling over. :catstare:

Never played it but your description made it play out in my head like you expected them to get caught on fire, look disgusted with your choice of weaponry and flop over with a "fine I'll loving die but I'm pretty disappointed with you" look on their face.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Overwatch doesn't give you doubles of cosmetics, it instead just gives you currency to buy other cosmetics with.

I would've been REALLY disappointed if it gave me another highlight intro for Torbjorn, one of the two heroes I don't use, as the only purple-rarity things I've ever gotten. But nah, it just gave me cash I could use to get more fancy poo poo for Symmetra!

On the flip-side, the cash it gives you is often a joke. A skin is 250 funbux to 1000 funbux, you got a duplicate of something you already have, worth 500 funbux? Here, have 5 funbux instead.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Cleretic posted:

The exchange rate could be better, yeah, but I like that they at least tried, and the system mostly works well.

Yeah, it doesn't need a trading system or anything, just a better exchange rate. Give us back half the items worths in coins, or a third. That'd make it instantly less poo poo, and like Neddy said, the sheer number of sprays makes it unlikely you're going to get a duplicate too often anyway, so what's the harm in upping the coin reward for a duplicate skin or victory pose? Especially if they plan on expanding the hero lineup (and therefore moire sprays/skins/poo poo)

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
This Pokemon Go thing is something I'm not into. My wife has it, and was taking a look for pokemon while we were driving to the shops with the kids to get some groceries.

On the way, a pokemon appeared, but she couldn't catch it because I was driving too fast. But her "ooh, a pokemon" got our eldest, who is 4 interested. He wanted to see.

My wife showed him but by that time we'd arrived at the shops. She went in with our other son, and while we stayed in the car. He kept hold of the phone and looked around for pokemon, but didn't find any.

On the way home he was looking for pokemon but not finding any, so I made a turn early and headed for the local cultural center, because I've heard they are attracted to geo-spots or something, and I figured some of the local landmarks might pop. I don't rerally understand how it all works, but whatever.

They found a geodude (?) near the war memorial but lost it because I had to keep driving (traffic). We didn't find any more, so headed home.

But then at the end of our street another one popped so I quickly pulled over and he found it and managed to capture a pidgie (i think, it looked like a chicken).

Well the absolute unbridled excitement in his voice and the squeals of pure delight made the whole thing worth it. Seeing my kids light up like that is the little thing about that game I love.

Edit: To be clear I don't give a poo poo about pokemon but even grumpy old me got caught up in his excitement at his first catch.

princecoo has a new favorite as of 09:50 on Jul 15, 2016

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
The new Deus Ex has a lot of nice little touches and attention to detail.

Beware, I guess, very mild spoilers for the first time you go to your office:

Your headquarters are underground, accessed via secret elevator in a shell import company. You go into the storefront, and in the back is a store room. It's full of random storeroom poo poo, a ladder, boxes, a box cart, random poo poo. A store room. There is also a painting on the wall. Behind the painting is a card reader that activates the elevator - the floor just drops away down into the HQ area.

So after I've ridden this elevator a few times, I'm idly waiting to get back up topside and I'm looking at the ladder, tucked up against the wall. It's not against the wall, obviously, because the wall is actually an elevator shaft, so it can't reliably lean on it. It's free standing. I think to myself "heh, no way would that ladder stay upright if it's constantly going up and down on a secret elevator all day. Neither would that 2 wheeled box cart standing over there, they'd fall over as soon as this thing moved."

Then I notice the bolts. Literally everything in the elevator is bolted to the floor Because of course it is. It's just for show, you'd never need to use any of it, it's a fake store room. Good enough to pass a casual inspection (yep that's a store room alright) but of course you'd need to keep everything upright and not falling over everytime you used it.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
I was going to say something about idle clicker games and IAP and how and why it's all bad and maybe talk a little about how the'yre less games than outright designed so stupid people give away lots of money for what barely meets the definition of "game" but then I saw it was MisterBibs and realized it would all be for naught, as he has a long and storied history being bad at and making bad decision about and in games of all kinds.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Now I've said that I feel like I should still clarify that as long as MisterBibs is happy and is having what he thinks is fun whilst making these repeated bad decisions, then who are we to stop him? People in brick houses shouldn't throw stones at those in glass ones, as that is kind of a dick thing to do.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
I have Homefront: Revolution on Xbox One and really quite enjoy it, but just couldn't stop thinking it'd be more enjoyable on PC. I'm a PC gamer mostly and while I really like the game, I just cannot get into the gunplay with a controller. Really need KB+M.

So I bought it on Steam as a birthday present for myself (not really too much of a waste, as the Xbox version I got for $10 second hand).

I own a Corsair K95 RGB Mechanical keyboard, which I love to death. Best keyboard I've ever owned. But on loading the game for the first time, my custom colours and the entire keyboard when blank. My first thought was "gently caress, has my keyboard died?"

Then as the main menu came up in the game, the colours on my keyboard returned. In the design of the American flag. :patriot:

loving perfect.

Edit: Holy poo poo http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=162886

princecoo has a new favorite as of 22:06 on Apr 18, 2017

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Prey is really very good. I bought it on a whim cheap from a reseller online because the reviews were all positive (didn't read up on it at all, just saw that people were very happy with it) and it was very system shocky in premise, which is extremely my jam.

I very nearly didn't bother with it because initially, I wasn't super into the last Prey game (although it was okay, it didn't really tickle me) but then I saw it was a total reboot with nothing to do with anything, complete wipe start from scratch kind of deal... Then I saw some of the screenshots and the trailer and nearly didn't buy it because the enemies looked... well, poo poo to be honest. Smoke monsters? C'mon.

Anyway it's an absolute blast to play and fuckin' mimics man, they've got me paranoid as gently caress. They're a fantastic enemy, seriously wondering why the concept hasn't been used before.

There are usually ways around locked doors, it's very Deus Ex-like in that regard, and you really get that "lightbulb" moment wandering around when you think of something, try it and the game is like "sure, you can do that. Go for it bro".

For example I was encountering several areas blocked off by barricaded doors, with furniture and equipment. You can upgrade yourself to be able to lift heavier and heavier things, (there is like 4 ranks in lifting poo poo, each rank allows you to lift heavier stuff, and throw it further and do more damage to enemies with thrown items). I bought the first rank, but it was ultimately disappointed that most stuff blocking the way required at least rank 2. "Oh well" I thought to myself, "I guess I'll come back to these areas later when I've found a keycard to an alternate route or upgraded myself to be able to push the poo poo out of the way".

Then I had a string of lightbulb moments. First was when I saw a skylight in a room, that clearly led to another room above the one I was in. I used the Gloo Gun to create a set of stairs up to the skylight, smash the glass and climb through. Discovered that I had just found a way into a previously inaccessable area (didn't have the required keycard). I explored it, exited through the door, and found another door, blocked by heavy poo poo. I turned to go back, when I spotted an explosive canister. "I wonder..." I thought.

So now barricades are blown open at will, and I carry a canister of ordinance everywhere I go as a percussive lockpick. Great loving game.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Prey does a really good job of building up the lives of the crew, they're not "faceless NPC #632" to be cannon fodder, they've all got names and designated sleeping areas, and lives before the game kicks off. You can find a corpse, then find his workstation and a bunch of emails he sent to other people on their computers, and his sleeping quarters, and often you'll be able to track an individual crew members last moments through the world building.
At first you might find a corpse of someone in the lobby for example and you see their name, but don't think anything of it. But you'll gradually come to know that that dead person had a son on earth, liked beer and was a sports fan, was kind of a dick to some other crew member, but got along really well with the head of one of the departments and was secretly stashing company secrets.
They do this for quite a lot of the crew, and you can find all of the crew (alive or dead... mostly dead) on or around the station.

It really makes the station feel more lived in and believable. Great little touch.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Exactly. I couple of times I've kind of started to get to know a person from chat logs and recorded phone conversations, found their sleeping quarters and read part of their diary, and been like "hey, this guy was a pretty cool dude" then found their corpse cowering in a broom closet where they've blown their own head off to avoid a fate worse than death or discovered their desiccated body frozen in a state of panic and I'll think "oh man i'm genuinely bummed you didn't make it to safety buddy. drat."

Or come across a named monster. Damnit Brooke, I know this is for the best but it sucks that after finding out you have a crush on Josh and helped Heather smuggle boozer onboard for a secret birthday party, I have to shove my shotgun down your mosterfied throat personally and finish the job. I'm sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Jukebox Hero posted:

Morality sliders and points and stuff always take the edge out of decisions like that, and I think it's because it makes it so there's a meta goal to the action so there's a theoretical 'best' choice.

Yeah, it becomes less about doing what the game considers the right thing, and more about what you think is the right thing. Once that happens, the player is more easily able to own their actions which gives it more impact.