Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Alteisen posted:

I've heard stories about losing save files and other things.
I "lost" a save file in Fallout 3, because I foolishly started a new game before I logged on to GFWL. When you're logged on, the game looks for saves in your GFWL profile-specific directory instead of the common one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Byzantine posted:

It's not a thing "in" a game, but when I preordered Infamous 2, I got a courier backpack like Cole's, and it's been a drat fine backpack. I've used it for four years now and it's not wearing out or anything.

I bought a Gears of War 2 XB360 bundle back in the day. I played the game for about an hour, but the bundled umbrella is still in top-notch shape.

Content:

Most of the Elite: Dangeous UI is first person. If you navigate, ask for docking clearance or fiddle with your ship settings, your avatar will just look at the side screens and the ship will keep flying in the meantime.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

FredMSloniker posted:

Wait, what? What's the logic behind this?
And it ain't that bad, because you can hack yourself and respec skills. Sometimes you need strength to kick down doors or hitpoints to survive rocket jumps, sometimes you need those high-grade weapons to bypass boss fights.

One of the more obvious little touches in Iji is that the battle shouts, dialogue and enemy logs change based on your body count. Iji will apologize for the first kills, but will become more and more bloodthirsty towards the end. Especially if Dan dies, at which point she becomes a delusional berserker.

One of my favourites

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Inco posted:

In several playthroughs of Axiom Verge, I've never found a Secret World portal. I've known about them since after the first playthrough, but I've never found a way in.
There is a map of possible portal locations, but I still haven't found all that could spawn in a single playthrough. Finding the first one by accident was pretty thrilling.

I really like how the coat and drone launcher powers subvert your expectations on what passable and impassable terrain looks like.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Little thing in Diablo III - the Witch Doctor is the goofiest motherfucker around.
And if you listen to the follower discussions, he is also among the nicest.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Double Punctuation posted:

I immediately looked for Braska's Final Aeon's theme. I was not disappointed. (7:58)
I feel like that someone who doesn't belong is skulking in the shadows.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Nuebot posted:

Then Dark Souls went and flipped that. You spend the game hearing about how Gwyn went and burned himself up for the flame, how he's just an ashen wreck of his former self. You kind of expect him to be nothing given how ruined the whole world is even. The last area of the game, the kiln of the first flame is a dead, silent burnt out wreck filled with ash, populated by a few of Gwyn's black knights and when you cross the last wall of light, you get this.
And if you combine those two approaches, you get Laurence, the First Vicar. He's one of the most important humans in the story, now a charred husk of a beast, strung up in the cathedral that he founded. But if the player approaches him with his human skull, he reaches out, re-ignites and fights to regain his lost humanity with all his might. But as the fight drags on, he first starts to stumble and then breaks in half, spewing lava from his exposed waist as he crawls after the player. The background music quiets down for a somber violin melody, begging the player to put the idealistic fool out of his misery.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I don't really know how you feel this rather than Artorias from that fight.
Artorias and Sif form the base of their lore, but phase two did remind me of Lady Maria, who also gains a lot more range and lingering effects from swings as the fight progresses.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Push El Burrito posted:

Because of this thread I finally bought Bloodborne (it was only like 17 bucks why not). Will report back on my findings. Never really played a Souls game after Demon so I don't know what to expect but I'm guessing blood and birth?
You will get both of those, yes. Also bloodborne :v: diseases and other bodily fluids.

Content: I really like the wolf AI in Dark Souls 3. A lone wolf isn't that bad. They can growl from a distance, lunge at you, do a quick bite and jump away or counterattack if you miss. But some of them will howl to wake the rest of the pack. If you stay, they'll slowly surround you. If you run, they'll chase you halfway around the map and try to cut you off. If you try to hide, if any of the wolves find you they'll bark to get the others' attention. And fighting the pack is an appropriately tense and frantic experience. The one you choose to attack will try to dodge while the others rip you to shreds. You can survive against the whole pack, but you really need to make each swing count.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009
I finished one playthrough of Dark Souls 3 and then started an another for the upcoming DLC. I like how the game is bookended by two locations on the opposite sides of the map. Lothric Castle and Anor Londo. You start in the castle, make your way down from there to ground level and below, then climb back up towards Anor Londo. And once in a while the game provides you with a nice vantage point that shows you where you came from and where you're going.

hirvox has a new favorite as of 04:34 on Feb 13, 2017

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009
I haven't finished Night in the Woods yet, but I did finish one of the minigames within it: Demon Tower. It's a deceptively simple hack-and-slash game about a retired warrior going on a quest that will kill them. This is reflected in game mechanics: After each level, you permanently lose one point of health in exchange for gaining one slot in the replenishing energy bar. It's a very elegant way of ramping up the risk without making the game seem unfair.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

I don't think snake ever mentions the benefits of it, its something people discovered later.
I knew since MG1 that cigarette smoke reveals laser tripwires, but I didn't know that smoking also slows down the self-destruct countdown.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009
Edit: wrong thread.

hirvox has a new favorite as of 11:18 on May 3, 2018

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That reminds me of playing multiplayer Unreal. I had a tendency to just spam that sawblade gun down any hallways and pipes I could find. Not because it was the most effective thing in the game but it was hilarious to randomly get kills and get screamed at for "being cheap."

It's like brah, if the game has a bouncy sawblade gun that ricochets down hallways you bet your rear end I'm vomiting rotary saws all over everything in existence. Why wouldn't I?
There's two: the Miter And the Panthera. Throwable melee weapons like the Glaive also bounce. There's also flak guns and bio rifles, but I haven't tried them out yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Samuringa posted:

Some little things in how Warframe handles its fail conditions:

There are missions where you have to rescue a POW or steal data from a Mainframe. The Operator warns you to play these missions with more tact, but they are actually very lenient: You can blast your way through them as much as you want and trip any alarms you come across(Which are easily disabled with a quick minigame) until you get to the room with the MacGuffin. Then the Operator will warn you again, this is the room you should be careful. And surely, you may jump and sneak around before stealing or rescuing whatever and it works just fine but just in case you're a doofus and you trigger yet another alarm, it still isn't an instafail! Instead, you get a very generous timer - around one minute - to go directly to your target and do your thing, and you're free as soon as you succeed.
If you trip up the alarms but manage to get the items anyway, Lotus occasionally gives you a secondary objective: Kill the witnesses.

I also like how the vault rooms usually have multiple solutions, and some of those solutions can be as simple as ignoring the obstacle course and climbing the nearest wall. Same thing with sabotage missions: You can break the fuel rods and let the reactor melt down. Or you can replace one of them with coolant and restart the reactor to freeze the ship.